• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

no more lax than Saint Richt
Don't go there. UGA has the strictest drug policy in the conference along with Kentucky. First incident grants a suspension. UGA gets a lot of suspensions because the Athens-Clarke County police chief is an asshole and because cops have nothing better to do there than book guys on charges like "emerging from an alley" or driving a scooter the wrong way on a one way street a short distance when nobody is on it.

Look at the Gatas drug policy. None for first offense, 10 percent after two failed tests, 20 percent after three, 50 after 4, and they finally get dismissed after 5 failed tests. Running a tight fucking ship in Gainesville, let me tell you.

Also, what the hell does UGA have to do with Florida's piss poor standards for student athletes or to do with Meyer's complete disregard for any form of standards for his players during his time there?

New York Times is jumping in.

I feel like none of you guys even noticed I was banned this past week. Guess I'm glad to get that out of the way before the CFB season starts next month.

Also, looks like Golsen is just going to redshirt next year then return as ND's QB in 2014. Violations of academic integrity at most universities usually result in permanent expulsion, but not at the glorious catholic institution of notre dame

cdyhybrid

Sometimes pointing out that other places also suck makes you feel better about your team.

Let me try: "Haha! Sure, Cal has a shitty APR because our players are apparently dumber than rocks, but hey! So does Wazzu!"

It's not working.

#bringbackTedford

Zigzz14

I feel like none of you guys even noticed I was banned this past week. Guess I'm glad to get that out of the way before the CFB season starts next month.

Also, looks like Golsen is just going to redshirt next year then return as ND's QB in 2014. Violations of academic integrity at most universities usually result in permanent expulsion, but not at the glorious catholic institution of notre dame

Golsen already "red shirted". At other institutions the players aren't in class or are taking ballroom dancing so they should be alright on the academics front.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

I noticed. I came across you in another thread but got distracted by something shiny before I could post about it here.

What did you do?
Golsen already "red shirted". At other institutions the players aren't in class or are taking ballroom dancing so they should be alright on the academics front.
Keep fucking that chicken.

andycapps

Sometimes pointing out that other places also suck makes you feel better about your team.

Let me try: "Haha! Sure, Cal has a shitty APR because our players are apparently dumber than rocks, but hey! So does Wazzu!"

It's not working.

I agree.

For any Clemson or UGA fans, or college football fans in general, T Kyle King (formerly of Dawg Sports) is writing a book titled Fighting Like Cats and Dogs and it's about the UGA and Clemson rivalry over the years. It's actually being published by Clemson Digital Press. He is attempting to make it in the vein of Cromartie's Clean Old Fashioned Hate (re: the GA/GA Tech rivalry) as far as trying to prevent his own bias from creeping in. Obviously, if Clemson is publishing it, they feel that it is being fair to their institution.

He posted this a few days ago at Dawg Sports
On August 31, just 59 days hence, the Georgia Bulldogs and the Clemson Tigers will renew their storied rivalry in a nationally-televised night game featuring top ten teams and showcasing top-notch quarterbacks. This high-profile clash of potential national title contenders not only will begin the 2013 college football season with a bang, it also will revive, and rekindle interest in, a longstanding series between border rivals dating back to 1897.

Though the rivalry is among the oldest and biggest in the history of both schools---in the 20 years from 1897 to 1916, the only team Clemson played in all 20 seasons was Georgia, and the only team Georgia played in all 20 seasons was Clemson---the heyday of the border war kicked off in 1977, which began an eleven-year stretch during which the two teams went 5-5-1 against one another, saw nine showdowns settled by single-digit margins, and won national championships in consecutive seasons.

andycapps

Clemson and UGA have a rivalry?

It's been dormant for about 20 years, with a couple exceptions, but yes. We've played them 62 times, starting in 1897. Our rivalry with USCe just passed that number a few years ago after playing them for many years straight when they were brought into the conference in 1992. We have more of a history with Clemson than we do Tennessee (42 games) or USCe (65 games). There are a lot of old timers that consider Clemson as our #2 rival behind Auburn.

Basically, yes, this was a big rivalry for many years, but conference expansion in the 1990's killed it.

It's been dormant for about 20 years, with a couple exceptions, but yes. We've played them 62 times, starting in 1897. Our rivalry with USCe just passed that number a few years ago after playing them for many years straight when they were brought into the conference in 1992. We have more of a history with Clemson than we do Tennessee (42 games) or USCe (65 games). There are a lot of old timers that consider Clemson as our #2 rival behind Auburn.

Basically, yes, this was a big rivalry for many years, but conference expansion in the 1990's killed it.

Pretty much this. Talking to old timer Clemson fans, there's a lot of hatred there.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is that the article that says 41 members of the 2008 Florida team have been arrested at least once? Something like 9 starters and 17 off the 2 deep.

aside from that:

1001000_673970989285905_474208135_n.jpg
I'm an Alabama fan, and even I can't come up with which rings came from which accomplishment.

mre

Is that the article that says 41 members of the 2008 Florida team have been arrested at least once? Something like 9 starters and 17 off the 2 deep.

aside from that:

I'm an Alabama fan, and even I can't come up with which rings came from which accomplishment.

10 rings:

3 BCS NC rings (from the BCS - I think they're they Eye of Sauron Rings)
3 NC rings from the University
2 SEC champ rings
2 Western Division Championship rings
1 Cap One Bowl Ring
1 ring for being a member of the A Club (former players - I think this is the tiny one)

Division rings and Cap One rings are meh.

Limedust

New York Times doesn't typically report on something where the only thing to report was regarding a stolen taco. If you read the rest of the article, the stolen taco was the exception rather than the rule.

I wasn't being serious. I found the bolded sentence entertaining.

andycapps

I wasn't being serious. I found the bolded sentence entertaining.

Sorry, sarcasm didn't make it's way here. It is funny that the police chief stated that there wasn't really a problem with the players since the arrests can be something as small as a stolen taco after the article got done talking about Rainey, Hernandez, Newton, Jenkins, Hornsby, Wilson, etc.

I noticed. I came across you in another thread but got distracted by something shiny before I could post about it here.

What did you do?

You can view my violation and read my defense here. . Since GAF doesn't have a ban protest system, I found neogaf bans to be a sufficient outlet to express my point of view even if it is just self rationalization. Also, not to patronize that site, but I hope bluemax decides to utilize the site as well to give his side of the story. I want to make sure I have my facts together before I PM Evilore accordingly.

Lonestar

Late, but:
4th of July vacation, not alot of GAF time. Before that, spent too much time in the Zimmerman Trial topic, as well as working. Not alot of College Football news, besides Florida Players killing the entire NorthEast.

Ron Paul joke here somewhere.....

You can view my violation and read my defense here. . Since GAF doesn't have a ban protest system, I found neogaf bans to be a sufficient outlet to express my point of view even if it is just self rationalization. Also, not to patronize that site, but I hope bluemax decides to utilize the site as well to give his side of the story. I want to make sure I have my facts together before I PM Evilore accordingly.

Haha, that's awesome. I'm tempted to add my own story on there, but I feel like my email to support got out what I wanted to say, though I didn't think anybody read it. The whole ban was ridiculous anyway.

See this is why I dont go to gaming side. I go over for 2 minutes and see Ryan Davis has died, now im bummed the rest of the day.

Thanks gaming side.

If you want to protest bans you can email support@neogaf.com. EviLore checks it fairly frequently, I believe.

Thanks for this. I'll shoot him an email next time I'm banned probably. ( unless I feel like I deserved the ban )

Ron Paul joke here somewhere.....

perfectchaos007 said:
"I feel like none of you guys even noticed I was banned last week..."

Ron-Paul.jpg

Haha, that's awesome. I'm tempted to add my own story on there, but I feel like my email to support got out what I wanted to say, though I didn't think anybody read it. The whole ban was ridiculous anyway.

Once you get banned, its tough to make the sudden adjustment not having the ability to post on GAF. So for me, I used that energy into speaking my mind elsewhere. I even had time to venture over to GameFAQs to fill out this years character battle form! Once you're unbanned though there's no reason to go back and express your point of view imo.

Lonestar

See this is why I dont go to gaming side. I go over for 2 minutes and see Ryan Davis has died, now im bummed the rest of the day.

Thanks gaming side.

Yeah, did some work, go to Krystals, and come back to that.

Those Krystals ruined everything...

This might be about the most "bummed out" I've gotten over a death of someone I didn't know or interact with personally.

Once you get banned, its tough to make the sudden adjustment not having the ability to post on GAF. So for me, I used that energy into speaking my mind elsewhere. I even had time to venture over to GameFAQs to fill out this years character battle form! Once you're unbanned though there's no reason to go back and express your point of view imo.
I actually became about a million times more productive during my ban... finally made me understand why people actually ask for temporary bans during crucial times :p I wasn't willing to lower myself to GameFAQs ;)

So I have a completely non football related question. I was offered and accepted a job offer next week. Generally at the offer is where salary negotiations start. I accepted the number because I did not think it was up for changes as it did not have a range posted with the position.

As of this Monday, I saw that same position with a posted range that tops out at 10k more than the original offer posted. So let's say the range is 45-55k when it originally stated just 45k.

In this situation, would it be ok to bring that up at all? I know generally once the offer occurs it's game over for any negotiations until a review, but in this case it seems a bit different. I interviewed and was offered the same day on Wednesday, so it's not like a lot of time has elapsed since then. I mean I'm definitely still happy with the offer and position - it's just had I know that range was there, I would have spoke up originally for sure.

So I have a completely non football related question. I was offered and accepted a job offer next week. Generally at the offer is where salary negotiations start. I accepted the number because I did not think it was up for changes as it did not have a range posted with the position.

As of this Monday, I saw that same position with a posted range that tops out at 10k more than the original offer posted. So let's say the range is 45-55k when it originally stated just 45k.

In this situation, would it be ok to bring that up at all? I know generally once the offer occurs it's game over for any negotiations until a review, but in this case it seems a bit different.

Why did you knock it down 10K in your edit? Anyways, you've already accepted the job so I guess worst case scenario is they fire you for inquiring about the higher salary? I don't see that happening. It's worth a shot to bring attention to it imo. Some employers expect salary negotiation as it comes with the territory anyway.

In this situation, would it be ok to bring that up at all? I know generally once the offer occurs it's game over for any negotiations until a review, but in this case it seems a bit different. I interviewed and was offered the same day on Wednesday, so it's not like a lot of time has elapsed since then. I mean I'm definitely still happy with the offer and position - it's just had I know that range was there, I would have spoke up originally for sure.

IDK, probably shit out of luck since you already accepted at the lower price. But whats the worst that could happen if you try?

Yeah, figure I am SOL. I just don't want to risk ruffling feathers and of course otherwise it'd be settled with me. But that update of the range available threw me off. That's the only reason why I'd even consider after an accepted offer. And yeah worse case probably just say no. Then again, I could get fired before I even start. Who the hell knows.

Yeah, figure I am SOL. I just don't want to risk ruffling feathers and of course otherwise it'd be settled with me. But that update of the range available threw me off. That's the only reason why I'd even consider after an accepted offer. And yeah worse case probably just say no. Then again, I could get fired before I even start. Who the hell knows.

I can't speak for that company but depending on how much you make, it's going to be 2-3 years before you're making that 10k difference from performance reviews. If it's around 50k like your example, that's a 10% raise and most places don't give anywhere near that on a yearly basis. Add in that even if you're making it in a couple years, you still lost out on about 20k because you didn't make it your first two years.

I would say something only because I know if it were me, I'd go crazy with that knowledge looming over my head.

The worst that can happen is they say no.

Never accept the first offer!
It appeared to be the only offer. Some jobs are not up to negotiations at all. For sure if that range was understood from the start, I'd have thrown out some other numbers. But fuck, I guess I know now.

I mean it is still quite a bump over what I was getting before at my current job - but still that stings missing a negotiation like that and potentially being locked into the low end for so long. Especially since I do have related experience in the field.

Edit: God I hope they don't fire me if I bring it up. My plan is to ask for only a couple more anyway. I don't really expect the top range at all. But even just 3ish k so I don't feel as bad. And obviously this wouldn't be my negotiation tactic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It appeared to be the only offer. Some jobs are not up to negotiations at all.

Always at least try to negotiate at first. If they're not up to negotiation, they'll let you know - the company's interested enough to give you an offer, it's usually pretty rare for them to withdraw it for at least bringing up the topic. And there's more things you can discuss other than base salary - maybe you can try and get a job review sooner for a pay raise, or say a higher title in terms of "payroll level" to give you more room to grow in terms of raises (i.e. if your salary would be at the high end of a Manager II position but the low end of a Manager III position and the responsibilities are largely the same, it would be better to get that second spot since you won't reach the top end as quickly).

That said, you usually have a lot more negotiating power if you have another offer elsewhere at the same time.

Always at least try to negotiate at first. If they're not up to negotiation, they'll let you know - the company's interested enough to give you an offer, it's usually pretty rare for them to withdraw it for at least bringing up the topic.

That said, you usually have a lot more negotiating power if you have another offer elsewhere at the same time.
Cancelled my other interviews when I got the offer letter. :( And I wouldn't have threatened them with that anyway I don't think.

As far as the type of company as someone suggested earlier..... It's a new state university. First class starts in 2014 and I'm one of the initial staff. Like the first 30 total staff. So I've never worked for a state school but I know sometimes raises can be frozen frequently too. Benefits will be good, though.

So on the other hand, there should be a shitton of growth opportunities overall within the school regardless I would think. Unless the school fails or something.

Always at least try to negotiate at first. If they're not up to negotiation, they'll let you know - the company's interested enough to give you an offer, it's usually pretty rare for them to withdraw it for at least bringing up the topic.

And if the economy didn't suck balls. After a year of being unemployed out of college, I finally landed a job last month getting paid $12/hr + commission and I'm actually happy about it. I shouldn't be happy, but given the dire circumstances of being unemployed for so long, I'm content. Employers have all the power right now, just keep that in mind.

Cancelled my other interviews when I got the offer letter. :( And I wouldn't have threatened them with that anyway I don't think.

As far as the type of company as someone suggested earlier..... It's a new state university. First class starts in 2014 and I'm one of the initial staff. Like the first 30 total staff. So I've never worked for a state school but I know sometimes raises can be frozen frequently too. Benefits will be good, though.

So on the other hand, there should be a shitton of growth opportunities overall within the school regardless I would think. Unless the school fails or something.

If brand spankin new Florida schools like FGCU can thrive and make it to the sweet 16 I wouldn't be worried about that. You're still in Florida right?

If brand spankin new Florida schools like FGCU can thrive and make it to the sweet 16 I wouldn't be worried about that. You're still in Florida right?

Haha yeah. It's Florida Polytechnic University. School was basically taken from USF by the state and made independent. So it has to start from scratch with everything. New campus, no federal financial aid for students, regional accreditation process....everything. Nobody can even start working on campus until like November/December. It'll be a mostly STEM-focused school, which is pretty cool. Campus is going to look sick too.

And who knows when a sports program happens. If at all.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you're threatening them, you're doing it wrong. It's basically saying, "hey, this other company likes me too. Do you like me more? (y/n)"

Yeah, you always want to be civil and diplomatic in negotiating.

Also, always get the job offer in writing to confirm salary, benefits, job title, etc. If needed, you can write up your own letter to confirm what you believe are the terms agreed upon. Always protect yourself in case you end up starting your new job and find out that some detail isn't matching with what your expectations are.

Eh, I feel like if you start bring up the fact you have other offers, no matter how diplomatic, it would come across as a bit threatening. I mean that is the base message. At least that's my impression.

But either way, I see your overall points there.

The employer has tons of other options, which generally gives them all the power in negotiation. Doesn't hurt a bit to show that you have options too. Or that other places also think you're worth pursuing.

Neither of those things need to come off as threatening in any way. They're a standard part of negotiations.

Mhm. Good point. Well if I muster the balls to make the call, I'll probably go about it saying that given this previously unknown information and given my related experience and accomplishments in this field, I feel like a starting salary of a couple thousand more is reasonable.

The first contact will probably by just me asking for clarification on the edited posting online.

Edit: And again the school is brand new. So I would think that especially 2-3 years from now there will be a lot more opportunities towards positions opening for student support/leadership type of positions which is my main goal. I'm working with admissions now, but it wouldn't be a bad pathway for me to go into moving forward. And saying I was one of the first staff couldn't hurt my chances.

mre

Mre what do you think will be the outcome of the Jeremy hill situation? Any lsu fans here? Tigerdroppings is sporadic with their guesses for suspension.

http://theadvocate.com/news/6460036-123/ada-jail-time-appropriate-for
Like the article says, it's all up to the judge. If the judge wants Hill in jail, then that is where he'll be for up to 6 months. Frankly, I'd be surprised if he does jail time, and if he does do jail time, I'd be surprised if he does more than a month and is back in time for the season.

Lonestar

Hey, with all the Florida/Player Arrests/Hernandez, could be that LSU and the Judge could pull a preemptive strike on Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom