• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Haha yeah. It's Florida Polytechnic University. School was basically taken from USF by the state and made independent. So it has to start from scratch with everything. New campus, no federal financial aid for students, regional accreditation process....everything. Nobody can even start working on campus until like November/December. It'll be a mostly STEM-focused school, which is pretty cool. Campus is going to look sick too.

And who knows when a sports program happens. If at all.

If they're going in that direction, they will probably not even bother with a football team and maybe be D3 for all the rest.

If they're going in that direction, they will probably not even bother with a football team and maybe be D3 for all the rest.
Oh yeah no way they'd have a football team. Not expecting that. But I figure an athletics Olympic only conference would be possible 5-10 years down the line. And yeah starting probably at division II.

The idea is to have about 50% STEM specific majors and 20% of majors directly supporting STEM.

Oh yeah no way they'd have a football team. Not expecting that. But I figure an athletics Olympic only conference would be possible 5-10 years down the line. And yeah starting probably at division II.

The idea is to have about 50% STEM specific majors and 20% of majors directly supporting STEM.

Some of those small schools that you don't hear about have damn good olympic programs. I didn't know LIFE University existed until I randomly watched them face off against Cal for the Rugby national championship last month. Cal won of course, but for a school that small to make it to the national championship game in a (future) olympic sport surprised me.

cashman

Banned

The school I attend (UT Dallas) sounds pretty similar to what you're describing. It's been open to undergrads for about 20 years, but it has really picked up over the last 5 years. Dorms helped big time with that.

The school I attend (UT Dallas) sounds pretty similar to what you're describing. It's been open to undergrads for about 20 years, but it has really picked up over the last 5 years. Dorms helped big time with that.
I feel like pretty much every school is growing crazy fast now. And the campus will have dorms on campus from day one. So that will definitely be a big help. Big money industry. Yay undischargable student loans!

This is a video of the build out. The main vagina looking building already stands out as you drive past it on the highway and its like half done. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8MvCsli5c

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So this cloud appeared over Happy Valley on the Fourth of July:

BOc0dg_CQAAoBMt.jpg

andycapps

Welp I at least made the call. Explained the situation and she stated she actually wasn't aware of the change. But she'd follow up and get back to me this morning. We didn't discuss numbers at all at this point. She also said that if she were in my position, she'd ask too. So that was comforting at least.

And of course I expressed I'm still really excited about starting, etc., etc.

At the very least I feel better I asked.

Edit: Not fired, but statement the posting was made in error and the position was supposed to be taken down altogether. Blowing smoke up my ass? Don't know. But at least it's settled. And like I said, not like I wasn't happy with the original salary anyway.

Welp I at least made the call. Explained the situation and she stated she actually wasn't aware of the change. But she'd follow up and get back to me this morning. We didn't discuss numbers at all at this point. She also said that if she were in my position, she'd ask too. So that was comforting at least.

And of course I expressed I'm still really excited about starting, etc., etc.

At the very least I feel better I asked.

Edit: Not fired, but statement the posting was made in error and the position was supposed to be taken down altogether. Blowing smoke up my ass? Don't know. But at least it's settled. And like I said, not like I wasn't happy with the original salary anyway.

But even better, you won't work the next few years kicking yourself for not inquiring about the higher salary. Its peace of mind to know you didn't leave ~10K on the table

andycapps

9. Cal: -2.33 spots per season

The biggest offense: 2009, opened at No. 12, finished out of the poll

Cal? Yep. The Golden Bears have only been ranked in the Preseason AP Poll five times in the BCS era, and as you can probably guess, they didn’t really live up to the billing. In fact, in only one of those seasons did they actually improve their ranking by the end of the year. While most of the other schools on this list have some positive numbers to offset the negative, the Bears, for lack of a better phrase, just don’t.

What a horrible lifetime to be a Cal Bear.

GoldenEye 007 said:
And back in football news, Penn State and UCF have pretty much finalized the 2014 Ireland game at Croke Park. Definitely a trip I'll need to try to make.

Irish Times

Croke Park is to host an American football colleges fixture in the autumn of next year.

Details are expected in the next few days of the meeting of Penn State and the University of Central Florida.

Notre Dame and The Navy sold out Lansdowne Road last year in a fixture that opened the colleges season.

Penn State’s football team was at the centre of controversy within the past two years when assistant coach Jerry Sandusky was jailed for child abuse, the college’s team subject to a range of severe penalties and legendary coach Joe Paterno fired in the aftermath.

Croke Park had hoped to stage a full NFL overseas fixture but the targeted event went instead to London.

Fixture? Lol with soccer speak. I'm surprised that UCF was one of the two teams. Notre Dame and USC would actually be a fun matchup to see there. Sorry mre.

Fixture? Lol with soccer speak. I'm surprised that UCF was one of the two teams. Notre Dame and USC would actually be a fun matchup to see there. Sorry mre.

Apparently it is mostly due to GOL's connection with O'Brien. I think he's part of the GOL coaching tree plus some other staff were former GOL assistants. It's really how this PSU-UCF series exists in the first place. It was originally supposed to be a standard home-home series.

Subitai

Apparently it is mostly due to GOL's connection with O'Brien. I think he's part of the GOL coaching tree plus some other staff were former GOL assistants. It's really how this PSU-UCF series exists in the first place. It was originally supposed to be a standard home-home series.
Yeah, the down side is while you can still come to Happy Valley, I won't get the excuse to make an extra trip to Orlando.

Also, sorry the game this year is on BTN

Yeah, the down side is while you can still come to Happy Valley, I won't get the excuse to make an extra trip to Orlando.

Also, sorry the game this year is on BTN
PSU wouldn't have fulfilled the contact I don't think. So either way they would not have come to Orlando.

As for BTN, I think I actually get it on one of my cable tiers. But likely I'll just watch it at a bar.

mre

Much like last year’s Emerald Isle Classic between Notre Dame and Navy, Ireland is interested in hosting more American football. The Score said talks are underway to host games in 2014, 2016 and 2018. Alabama is among four teams mentioned in the article as being interested in playing there, along with Penn State, Notre Dame and UCF.

tumblr_m0y9taQSRu1r37cx1o1_500.gif

Yep he's gone. That transfer has been rumored for quite some time but I thought he would have at least waited until after Summer camp in August just incase he performed well there and moved up the depth chart. He's already redshirted too. Oh well, we have pretty talented DT QB coming in next year in Heard so by the time Ash graduates Heard will be a Soph or RS-Fr that and I could see him passing Brewer in the depth chart there as well. Probably the right decision for Brewer to transfer. Also, his sister transferred out of Texas last year as well so none of his family was left at Texas anyway.

The Scottsdale, Ariz. (Chaparral HS) native has been given an unconditional release from his scholarship by UT and will depart the program after one season.

That's how you properly release a QB Gundy...

when do they release the top 25 pre-season ranking?

Also, do they have practice matches in the next month or so, its a bloody long off season!

ag-my001

when do they release the top 25 pre-season ranking?

Also, do they have practice matches in the next month or so, its a bloody long off season!

There are no practice matches / exhibitions in CFB. Unless you count Bama vs. Middle Tennessee. Some way too early polls are out, and magazines will release their own in the coming weeks. I think the AP poll (maybe USA Today Coaches too) will only come out a week or two before the season.

There are no practice matches / exhibitions in CFB. Unless you count Bama vs. Middle Tennessee. Some way too early polls are out, and magazines will release their own in the coming weeks. I think the AP poll (maybe USA Today Coaches too) will only come out a week or two before the season.

cheers for answering.

I didnt think I would be missing it so much. I guess I was pretty into it at the end of last season.

Go Ole Miss!

cheers for answering.

I didnt think I would be missing it so much. I guess I was pretty into it at the end of last season.

Go Ole Miss!

Yeah, no practice games. The best you'll get is intrasquad scrimmages, but they're not televised and it's a far cry from actual competition anyway.

It's awesome that you're so into it, by the way.

But... Ole Miss? :\ I'm not saying you should be a frontrunner, but since you're from abroad you have a choice! Don't pick a basement dweller team!

Yeah, no practice games. The best you'll get is intrasquad scrimmages, but they're not televised and it's a far cry from actual competition anyway.

It's awesome that you're so into it, by the way.

But... Ole Miss? :\ I'm not saying you should be a frontrunner, but since you're from abroad you have a choice! Don't pick a basement dweller team!

I've chosen them as, according to my small amount of knowledge on CFB, they have a good chance to improve from a cellar dweller team to a team which may have a shot at a national championship in the next 5-10 years.

The recruited well and they had a good season last year, they should get a winning season this season and with a few more good recruiting years, they will only improve. I want to be on that bandwagon as they improve.

Also, they play in a good quality and competitive conference.

Finally, we seem to get a few SEC games shown live on ESPN in Australia, for some reason compared to other conferences.

I've chosen them as, according to my small amount of knowledge on CFB, they have a good chance to improve from a cellar dweller team to a team which may have a shot at a national championship in the next 5-10 years.

The recruited well and they had a good season last year, they should get a winning season this season and with a few more good recruiting years, they will only improve. I want to be on that bandwagon as they improve.

Finally, we seem to get a few SEC games shown live on ESPN in Australia, for some reason compared to other conferences.

I hate to say it man, but you're drinking some strong Rebel Kool-Aid. Ole Miss hasn't won the SEC for 50 years, and they're not going to do it again anytime soon. As far as a good season, put it in context: They went 7-6 last season, and that was a "good" season for them. They went 3-5 in the conference, and would've ended their season below .500 if it wasn't for playing Div-2 creampuffs and the worst team in C-USA (Tulane).

Meanwhile, my team (USC) went 7-6 and it's considered one of the most disastrous seasons in school history, especially in light of expectations.

I'm not saying be a USC fan (people will hate you for it). But at least pick a team that has a chance, and isn't in the running for "has the most racist mascot character" -- er, HAD.

It's a shame you have to pick a SEC team though ;) If it has to be one, I think you'd be better served with Georgia or South Carolina or something.

(I'm not actually trying to change your mind, I'm just desperate to talk about college football. It's cool that you're into it at all, and you should like whatever team you want. But Ole Miss sucks, for real).

andycapps

I hate to say it man, but you're drinking some strong Rebel Kool-Aid. Ole Miss hasn't won the SEC for 50 years, and they're not going to do it again anytime soon. As far as a good season, put it in context: They went 7-6 last season, and that was a "good" season for them. They went 3-5 in the conference, and would've ended their season below .500 if it wasn't for playing Div-2 creampuffs and the worst team in C-USA (Tulane).

Meanwhile, my team (USC) went 7-6 and it's considered one of the most disastrous seasons in school history, especially in light of expectations.

I'm not saying be a USC fan (people will hate you for it). But at least pick a team that has a chance, and isn't in the running for "has the most racist mascot character" -- er, HAD.

It's a shame you have to pick a SEC team though ;) If it has to be one, I think you'd be better served with Georgia or South Carolina or something.

(I'm not actually trying to change your mind, I'm just desperate to talk about college football. It's cool that you're into it at all, and you should like whatever team you want. But Ole Miss sucks, for real).

This is true. But I can respect picking a team that doesn't have much of a chance and sticking with them. That was me all during the 90's, though I didn't really pick my team, I was born into it and indoctrinated.

ESPN is going to be broadcasting College Football Live from SEC Media Days next week. And Pawwwwwl is going to be bringing the hot scoops live.

andycapps

Ole Miss played an ineligible player last year for 6 games, but isn't incurring any penalties by the NCAA. I for one am completely shocked. Mark Richt has lost control of the NCAA.

Also, inconsistency with the NCAA punishment process? Why I do declare.

Ole Miss cornerback Carlos Davis played in six games last fall while academically ineligible to do so.

As a result, Davis will be forced to sit out six games of the 2013 season while also missing select practice time, an Ole Miss spokesman confirmed Tuesday.

Ole Miss has self-reported an NCAA violation after a freshman walk-on played in six games last fall while, without the school's knowledge, the ACT was reviewing his test scores. The testing center ultimately canceled those scores, making Davis a nonqualifier and ineligible for competition while potentially exposing Ole Miss to penalties.

Having the penalties extend only to Davis (ranked No. 51 on The Most Important Rebel watch list for next season) and not Ole Miss is a win for the school. Even though the school wrote that it did not know about the flagged score until informed by the ACT and NCAA Eligibilty Center on April 26, the NCAA's "strict liability" could have made Ole Miss guilty without knowledge.

That's what happened to Memphis, which was forced to vacate 38 victories from the 2007-08 season after the NCAA ruled that, without the school's knowledge, Derrick Rose' SAT score was fraudulent.

mre

Ole Miss played an ineligible player last year for 6 games, but isn't incurring any penalties by the NCAA. I for one am completely shocked. Mark Richt has lost control of the NCAA.

Also, inconsistency with the NCAA punishment process? Why I do declare.
That's horseshit. The wins should be vacated. I hate vacating wins, but, as far as I can remember, that has at least been one area in which the NCAA has been consistent in levying punishments for playing ineligible players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom