• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagowar

This is true. But I can respect picking a team that doesn't have much of a chance and sticking with them. That was me all during the 90's, though I didn't really pick my team, I was born into it and indoctrinated.

ESPN is going to be broadcasting College Football Live from SEC Media Days next week. And Pawwwwwl is going to be bringing the hot scoops live.

Gotta start getting ready for that sec network..... still funny they are actually going to broadcast this. Although it means the season is getting closer (honestly had no idea they were even next week already)..... this summer really has been going by very quickly.

Season is coming up soon. Three weeks until fall practice. And of course summer sessions are in effect so the most recent recruiting class is here taking classes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ole Miss played an ineligible player last year for 6 games, but isn't incurring any penalties by the NCAA. I for one am completely shocked. Mark Richt has lost control of the NCAA.

Also, inconsistency with the NCAA punishment process? Why I do declare.

Think I saw this last night, as was going to post it, but got caught back up with the Bombcast discussion.

Alabama had a player sign a napkin from an agent, then lie about it and played the year. Result: Years of probation, forfeiture (not vacating) of the wins from that year, and the loss of 26 scholarships. TWENTY SIX. Took an appeal over the NCAA wrongly going after an innocent man (a lesser charge in that mess, Dr. Thomas Jones for "providing "false and misleading" information", was incorrect on the NCAA's part), and that appeal only got back 9 scholarships, leaving that situation as a loss of 17 scholarships.

Guess that depends on the comparative level of Academic Ineligibility and improper contact with an agent (that didn't involve any exchange of money/favors.) But it helps show the dramatic slide to the toothless-ness of the NCAA.

Season is coming up soon. Three weeks until fall practice. And of course summer sessions are in effect so the most recent recruiting class is here taking classes.

Yeah, think schools are going through the final "clearinghouse" issues now, with the borderline students (if they signed any). Think Alabama had 3, with 2 of them cleared, and only "Foster" left in the wind atm (is that Reuben or Robert, I don't know?)

Oh, remember the Alabama Tree Killer? He is out of jail and on facebook!
1v7u.png

andycapps

That's horseshit. The wins should be vacated. I hate vacating wins, but, as far as I can remember, that has at least been one area in which the NCAA has been consistent in levying punishments for playing ineligible players.

They really should be vacated, but I'm trying to remember the last time the NCAA got something like this right. So this is to be expected. I expect that they'll actually give Miami and extra 2 scholarships just for the inconvenience of having an investigation go on for a couple years.

I'm really trying to figure out how I'm going to make it the next week at work. Hate lame duck periods. Maybe if I take a shot every few hours or something......

I burned through all of my vacation, so it's not like I have anything to lose except for not being able to come back in the future if I for some reason found myself back here.

They really should be vacated, but I'm trying to remember the last time the NCAA got something like this right. So this is to be expected. I expect that they'll actually give Miami and extra 2 scholarships just for the inconvenience of having an investigation go on for a couple years.

The NCAA is pretty consistent on the DIII level at least. Someone I know who coaches a DIII mens tennis program accidentally played an ineligible player ( he failed a course I believe making him academically ineligible. ) and the NCAA made them vacate every win that season and banned them from participating in the playoffs. This all took place earlier this year too.

andycapps

How do you even fuck this one up? That's like the easiest decision ever. Dude was ineligible -> vacate the wins. It's not like that's even a real punishment. Hell, it's not like Ole Miss is a power school where anyone cares if they're really punished.

Still, for Ole Miss if you take away 6 wins, they would have only had 1 win last year. At some point, isn't it punishment enough that these players signed with Ole Miss and now they're stuck there?

andycapps

I can't wait until guys like Hugh Freeze and Mark Stoops get nailed for cheating to elevate their programs to 4th in the SEC West.

Hey now, those are serious accusations, and if you have proof of any violations by any member of the Ole Miss coaching staff, you should contact their compliance department. Word is that their compliance department looks something like this.

NbnvByN.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
Hey now, those are serious accusations, and if you have proof of any violations by any member of the Ole Miss coaching staff, you should contact their compliance department. Word is that their compliance department looks something like this.

NbnvByN.jpg
Truth.

Maybe they can get a shredder-cam girl to compete with Bama's fax-cam girl.

Jhriad

Here are the 12 most consistently overrated college football teams in the BCS era.

http://collegespun.com/pac-12/usc/t...tball-programs-of-the-bca-era-statistically/2

2. Nebraska: -4.4 spots per season

The biggest offense: 2002, opened at No. 10, finished out of the poll

Nebraska has produced four seasons in which it dropped at least ten spots in the poll. The Cornhuskers have also finished with a worse ranking than they started with in nine out of the 13 seasons they’ve appeared in the Preseason AP Poll. It’s not that the football program isn’t producing a winner each year, it’s that the voters are consistently ranking them five to ten spots too high. When you average that in with the few seasons they’ve actually moved up the rankings, you get an average of -4.4 spots per season. Bottom line? They’re overrated very, very often.

Yep. We win four or five in a row and the non-Nebraska fans hop onto the bandwagon spouting stuff like "Nebraska is back" and we then spiral out of control into some ugly, inconsistent mess. Until we can field a consistent product on BOTH sides of the field this will just be the life of a Husker fan. I look forward to another season of a win streak, accompanied by ridiculous poll numbers, and then another fall from grace into the shitter in a new and painful fashion. Just tack Nebraska at #20 in the rankings and don't move us from that spot.

I wonder what the over/under is on how many times we'll give up 500+ yards. How about the number of fumbles we'll have and the turnovers we will continue not to generate on defense.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
cheers for answering.

I didnt think I would be missing it so much. I guess I was pretty into it at the end of last season.

Go Ole Miss!
We need to teach you the Hotty Toddy.

Don't listen to these snobs, the world doesn't need more Manyoo glory hunters. Bookmark Red Cup Rebellion and watch Ole Miss: The Season on YouTube. And if you ever come to a game, ill mix you a mint julep at my Grove tent.

No official polls are out, but all the preview mags have a Top 25 and Ole Miss is hovering around 25 in most.

andycapps

UGA commit, Jacob Park had a pretty funny interview yesterday on why he went with UGA over Bama (among other topics):

Why did you commit to UGA? “It was different. Coach Richt and Coach Bobo didn’t hassle me. They didn’t call me every day. They sent me letters. They didn’t send me a million letters like everybody else. But when they did, it was a letter that meant something. I went on a visit there, and it came down to Georgia and Alabama. Alabama was being wishy-washy. Coach Bobo told me ‘I sent two offers out this year, you and Deshaun Watson. I’m not going to offer anybody else until you make a decision.’ I took that to mean that he liked me a lot. Everything fell together after that. All my friends are Georgia fans. My brother is the biggest Georgia fan that you will ever know.”
Alabama was wishy-washy? “I don’t know. They told me they wanted to take two quarterbacks. I don’t know if that is true. I don’t know if they’re taking two quarterbacks. I know (David) Cornwell is going there. I don’t know. I just figured if they were taking two, if they were telling me the truth or not, Georgia said they were taking one quarterback. When you come to down to two schools like that, and they are that close, why go with someone who is taking two when Georgia just wants one?”
What was it like being recruited by a legend like Nick Saban? How would you describe that experience? “It was cool. It was nice to meet him and everything. But I don’t see him any higher than Coach Richt. He’s just another person. After I looked it into more, he doesn’t have a real good history of putting quarterbacks in the league. I think I made the right decision with Georgia.”

Trollolololol. Also, Michael Carvell from AJC is such a hack. What is it like being recruited by a legend like Nick Saban? "OMG I want him to call me!!!"

Limedust

I'll give Mark Richt credit that he recruits and develops some of the best QB's.

Pop quiz: Who was the last starting QB for Nick Saban that wasn't signed by an NFL team?

andycapps

I'll give Mark Richt credit that he recruits and develops some of the best QB's.

Pop quiz: Who was the last starting QB for Nick Saban that wasn't signed by an NFL team?

True, and I'll give Saban credit that he develops great talent at every other position on the field, for the most part. Particularly on OL, all across defense, running backs, and has put some good WR's in the league.

This is another great quote from that interview, this kid is a goldmine. I can't wait until he's enrolled. It's refreshing to see a kid speak his mind instead of carefully prepared words of trying to be polite to everyone that recruited him.

I can't remember the last one that wasn't signed. The flip side of that is that I can't remember one of them actually playing in the league.

Being from South Carolina, how much were you recruited by South Carolina an Clemson? “A little bit. South Carolina was recruiting me hard until last year when I guess they thought they had their quarterback. Neither one of them threw an offer at me, but it didn’t really bother me. I mean, I feel like Georgia is a way better school than South Carolina or Clemson would be any day, so I’m not really worried about that.”

Damn son.

andycapps

Apparently that's the only ring with the screw-up on it. Might be worth some change in the future.

Why would they make a different mold for one ring? Isn't that how rings work?

More recruiting shit.. UGA commit Nick Chubb moved from a 4 star to 5 star after his performance at The Opening last week. Seems like that bumped fellow UGA RB commit, Sonny Michel, down to a 4 star from his previous 5. They're the next round of Gurley and Marshall. Chubb being Gurley, and Michel being Marshall. People were concerned over Chubb's speed as he ran a 4.7 in freezing temps some months back, but he ran a 4.47 at The Opening. People were also concerned about Gurley's speed in highschool. Seems to be doing alright.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
True, and I'll give Saban credit that he develops great talent at every other position on the field, for the most part. Particularly on OL, all across defense, running backs, and has put some good WR's in the league.

This is another great quote from that interview, this kid is a goldmine. I can't wait until he's enrolled. It's refreshing to see a kid speak his mind instead of carefully prepared words of trying to be polite to everyone that recruited him.

I can't remember the last one that wasn't signed. The flip side of that is that I can't remember one of them actually playing in the league.

Well, I want to say GMAC scored the 1st TD of the season for the Jets one year. Or the 1st victory. JPW was a leftover starting QB he was stuck with. Going back to LSU, he had Purple Drank!! Does he get credit for Matt Flynn? Then you got Rohan Davey and Matt Mauck, who did nothing in the NFL, but did get there (and were drafted). I figure that AJ is the 1st QB since Drank that might have the profile/talent enough to make an NFL dent. But, I'm so used to Alabama QB's not doing anything in the NFL, why bother worrying about it :p

We need to teach you the Hotty Toddy.

Don't listen to these snobs, the world doesn't need more Manyoo glory hunters. Bookmark Red Cup Rebellion and watch Ole Miss: The Season on YouTube. And if you ever come to a game, ill mix you a mint julep at my Grove tent.

No official polls are out, but all the preview mags have a Top 25 and Ole Miss is hovering around 25 in most.

Are you ready, hell yeah.
Hotty toddy, gosh almighty
Blim bam , sumthing, sumthing sumthing....

I actually learnt it after watching some videos on youtube for the grove.

I will make it there someday and will take you up on that mint julep!

Draxal

BIG released 2016/7 schedules this morning. First two years with the 9 conference games.

Here are the crossovers.

East Division

Indiana: Nebraska, at Northwestern, Purdue (protected)
Maryland: Purdue, Minnesota, at Nebraska
Michigan: Wisconsin, Illinois, at Iowa
Michigan State: Wisconsin, Northwestern, at Illinois
Ohio State: at Wisconsin, Northwestern, Nebraska
Penn State: Minnesota, at Purdue, Iowa
Rutgers: Illinois, at Minnesota, Iowa

West Division

Illinois: at Rutgers, at Michigan, Michigan State
Iowa: at Rutgers, at Penn State, Michigan
Minnesota: at Penn State, at Maryland, Rutgers
Nebraska: at Indiana, at Ohio State, Maryland
Northwestern: at Michigan State, Indiana, at Ohio State
Purdue: at Maryland, Penn State, at Indiana (protected)
Wisconsin: at Michigan, at Michigan State, Ohio State

East Division

Indiana: Wisconsin, at Illinois, at Purdue (protected)
Maryland: at Minnesota, Northwestern, at Wisconsin
Michigan: at Purdue, Minnesota at Wisconsin
Michigan State: Iowa, at Minnesota, at Northwestern
Ohio State: at Nebraska, at Iowa, Illinois
Penn State: at Northwestern, at Iowa, Nebraska
Rutgers: at Nebraska, at Illinois, Purdue

West Division

Illinois: Rutgers, Indiana, at Ohio State
Iowa: at Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State
Minnesota: Maryland, Michigan State, at Michigan
Nebraska: Rutgers, Ohio State, at Penn State
Northwestern: Penn State, at Maryland, Michigan State
Purdue: Michigan, at Rutgers, Indiana (protected)
Wisconsin: Maryland, at Indiana, Michigan

Rutgers gets the honor of playing at Nebraska twice in four years and three times in four years. I guess they really want to reestablish Nebraska's recruiting success in the past in NJ.

andycapps

He's just salty that we ignored him to get a better quarterback. And I'm pretty sure Georgia would trade Park in for Watson any day.

Park is #3 on 247 rankings for pro-style QB's and he's rising. Watson is ranked #5 and is a dual threat QB. I'd take either of them honestly. When you're dealing with top recruits like those guys, it's more what your coaches do with them than their talent. I'm confident that Richt and Bobo know how to coach up QB's, and I'm reasonably certain that Park can be the guy in a couple years, and will probably pass Brice Ramsey (QB commit this year that will probably be redshirted). Hutson Mason will be our QB next year for his one and done year. Lot of people were wanting him to win the job over Murray, but he didn't and so he's been waiting for his shot ever since. He'll get a year to be the guy and let the other guys get some plays here and there.

Also, you're taking my trolling too seriously.

Whoa in 2017 were opening the season @Indiana, last time we opened the season with a league game was 1976.

2016 is looking to be a tough year for us, play Oklahoma, Wiscy, PSU, Mich st, Michigan, Nebraska

andycapps

It was his trolling, not yours. And I do think he's kinda salty about not getting much of a sniff in state.

He probably is, not that it sounds like he would have gone to either of them anyway since he was raised in a family that likes Georgia.

You mean the 6-6 GT team that went on to defeat preseason Top 3 USC in their bowl game? :)

You're right, USC totally deserved that preseason top 3 ranking. Where was that list of teams that are perenially overrated in preseason rankings again?

cdyhybrid

God only knows what goes through the mind of an FSU fan.

I know one thing that doesn't: shirts.

Random discussion topic!

What are the top 5 road games/cities you'd like to watch your team play in at some point? No restrictions, although picking someone in your conference that they play every year isn't very fun :p

In no particular order, I'd probably go with:

-Austin
-Columbus
-Tuscaloosa
-Baton Rouge (couldn't make it when we played down there a few years ago ><)
-Can't decide on a last one, but it's probably between Ann Arbor, Knoxville, Lincoln, and Tallahassee...probably go with Lincoln now that I think about it a little more, but any of those would be great

Random discussion topic!

What are the top 5 road games/cities you'd like to watch your team play in at some point? No restrictions, although picking someone in your conference that they play every year isn't very fun :p

-Austin
-Columbus
-Tuscaloosa
-Can't decide on a last one, but it's probably between Ann Arbor, Knoxville, Lincoln, and Tallahassee...probably go with Lincoln now that I think about it a little more, but any of those would be great

Tuscaloosa
Eugene
Tallahassee
Morgantown on a Thursday night
Boise (so i can make fun of their stupid field to their faces)

Ive been to most the other big venues.

Random discussion topic!

-Austin
-Columbus
-Tuscaloosa
Columbus
Ann Arbor
Knoxville
Clemson
Baton Rouge

-Austin (happening in 2017 assuming the final series game isnt cancelled)
-Ann Arbor
-Tuscaloosa (gotta keep the winning streak alive!)
-Eugene
-Lincoln

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Ann Arbor, Eugene, West Point, the Rose Bowl, and Austin. Austin is happening in a few months although nobody will know since its on the Longhorn Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom