• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ann Arbor, Eugene, West Point, the Rose Bowl, and Austin. Austin is happening in a few months although nobody will know since its on the Longhorn Network.

Did they ever make a deal with Oxford residents for it to be on a local broadcast?

-Austin (happening in 2017 assuming the final series game isnt cancelled)

I was at the UCF v. Texas game back in '09. UCF was fairly decent that year and didn't play too bad

I was at the UCF v. Texas game back in '09. UCF was fairly decent that year and didn't play too bad
Usually how it goes for us. Put together a respectable showing but can't close it out.

So many BCS games lost that way over the years. Doesn't help when you have 1-2 chances a year to play an AQ team when we were indy/MAC/CUSA but still you like to get a few more when you look back at some of the closer losses. Think we've played only 40 something AQ teams all time.

Usually how it goes for us. Put together a respectable showing but can't close it out.

So many BCS games lost that way over the years. Doesn't help when you have 1-2 chances a year to play an AQ team when we were indy/MAC/CUSA but still you like to get a few more when you look back at some of the closer losses. Think we've played only 40 something AQ teams all time.

The stadium opener at UCF ( 2007 I believe?? ) game against Texas y'all should have won. Colt McCoy was an underclassman and UCF was winning late in the game.

andycapps

I know one thing that doesn't: shirts.

Random discussion topic!

What are the top 5 road games/cities you'd like to watch your team play in at some point? No restrictions, although picking someone in your conference that they play every year isn't very fun :p

In no particular order, I'd probably go with:

-Austin
-Columbus
-Tuscaloosa
-Baton Rouge (couldn't make it when we played down there a few years ago ><)
-Can't decide on a last one, but it's probably between Ann Arbor, Knoxville, Lincoln, and Tallahassee...probably go with Lincoln now that I think about it a little more, but any of those would be great

Jacksonville
Austin
Baton Rouge
Tuscaloosa
Columbus

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I do want to go to the cocktail party and Texas-OU at least once.

How come nobody is listing South Bend?

Draxal

What are the top 5 road games/cities you'd like to watch your team play in at some point? No restrictions, although picking someone in your conference that they play every year isn't very fun :p

In no particular order, I'd probably go with:

-Austin
-Columbus
-Tuscaloosa
-Baton Rouge (couldn't make it when we played down there a few years ago ><)
-Can't decide on a last one, but it's probably between Ann Arbor, Knoxville, Lincoln, and Tallahassee...probably go with Lincoln now that I think about it a little more, but any of those would be great

Jacksonville
Austin
Baton Rouge
Tuscaloosa
Columbus

SEC breaking the rules in even simple fan polls.

Ummm,

New Orleans (Tulane)
Seattle
Austin
Miami
Vegas

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Have to say, before the scandal and all the other B1G fans in the topic here (and elsewhere) talk about how vile the PSU fans are at Happy Valley, it was on "the list" of places I'd like to go to.

Guess mine would be places I'd want to go, more for the physical location, than the game atmosphere.

• BYU
  • USC
  • Washington/Oregon
  • USC/UCLA
  • Hawaii

No way ya'll will figure out where I'm planning a vacation. No way.

Now, for Crowd/atmosphere of an Alabama vs ____

• Texas A&M/Texas
  • Oregon
  • Michigan/tOSU
  • Tennessee (simply to laugh at how cramped the seating is, as well as to outnumber the home crowd)
  • LSU

The stadium opener at UCF ( 2007 I believe?? ) game against Texas y'all should have won. Colt McCoy was an underclassman and UCF was winning late in the game.
Not sure we should have won. But we definitely had a shot. Lost by two or three I think. Mississippi St in the 2007 Liberty Bowl was one we should have won though.

2007 we had the country's leading rusher but a QB worth jack shit. Not having a competent QB cost us a couple games.

This year the offense should be clicking on all cylinders. Shaky DB situation on defense though. But we should compete in every game. Even USCe (moreso if we can keep Clowney in check asuch as possible). Still can't believe they agreed to a standard home-home series starting in Orlando.

Lonestar

http://theadvocate.com/home/6486138-125/suspended-lsu-running-back-hill
Video of Jeremy Hill (LSU)'s punch on a dude outside of a bar.

Hill plead guilty to Simple Battery, got 2 years of probation, a small fine, community service, and a partridge in a pear tree.

While it's only one punch, it's on a guy who isn't looking his way. Looks a bit harder than "Simple Battery" to me.

Warning: Video contains graphic footage of sideways camera.

andycapps

Hill plead guilty to Simple Battery, got 2 years of probation, a small fine, community service, and a partridge in a pear tree.

While it's only one punch, it's on a guy who isn't looking his way. Looks a bit harder than "Simple Battery" to me.

What a bitch. Sucker punches a dude from the side and then that other kid hits him in the back of the head. That sure takes some guts.

The person that filmed it should also be on probation for filming it vertically.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

I don't believe this is over yet. I believe the state is still going to file a motion to revoke his probation from his previous offense, which would likely result in jail time.

Lonestar

I don't believe this is over yet. I believe the state is still going to file a motion to revoke his probation from his previous offense, which would likely result in jail time.

Hopefully, just so we can see what paltry "punishment" LSU will envoke on him. 1/2 game suspension!

andycapps

Was he on probation when he committed this latest crime?

Lonestar said:
Hopefully, just so we can see what paltry "punishment" LSU will envoke on him. 1/2 game suspension!

Enforced in the second game against UAB!!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

The "good news" on that front is that I believe the revocation hearing isn't until August, which means any jail time would essentially be a suspension and may even cause him to miss the season, depending upon the class time he would have to miss.

Lonestar

Forgot about that. Amazing that LSU even let him come there, though he does fit in pretty well there with Mettenberger.

Yeah, all that came out while he was being recruited. Thought that it was the reason Alabama and LSU were avoiding going after him...until the moment he committed to LSU.

Lonestar

3lv.gif

Karakand

You mean the 6-6 GT team that went on to defeat preseason Top 3 USC in their bowl game? :)

Lane Kiffin is no Paul Johnson, but he's still a fantastic coach. His players weren't honed by a grueling ACC schedule and it showed. Also his quarterback was the second coming of Joe Ayoub.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Phil Steele lists Duke as the third most improved rushing offense this year but second least approved in passing offense. I guess with Boone running the read option and the fact we have more talent in the backfield than in WR, that makes sense.

Still the idea that Duke would have a competent running offense makes me ready for the comet.

mcgruber

Phil Steele lists Duke as the third most improved rushing offense this year but second least approved in passing offense. I guess with Boone running the read option and the fact we have more talent in the backfield than in WR, that makes sense.

Still the idea that Duke would have a competent running offense makes me ready for the comet.

Phil Steele also has texas as pre season #4. It's nice to see duke on the rise though.

I'm still shocked at the rapid rise that bc made last decade as a program and how equally rapid their demise was. Any other programs experience anything similar recently?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
With the news of OLB Chris Payne being an academic eligibility casualty it looks like another of Tuberville's defensive recruits bites the dust.

I'll say one thing about Neal Brown and Chad Scott (offensive coaches at Tech last season, currently offensive coaches at Kentucky) that I've probably said before - if they had any weaknesses recruiting was not one of them. Scott especially was lights out during his time at Tech and it doesn't really surprise me that Kentucky is off to as great of a start as it is with those two on staff. Sure feels like 95% of the eligibility and attitude problems we've been having with commits over the Tuberville years have been on defense while the offensive recruits have for the most part been both playing well and keeping their noses clean.

RB Ronnie Daniels was wheels off from day one, WR Javon Bell lasted one season before becoming ineligible but he was great before injury, and the WR McRoy brothers both showed flashes of greatness before both quitting on school, but other than that the Brown/Scott recruits have been rolling pretty well IMO.

And it's official. The schools, ESPN and the American Athletic Conference announced the 2014 Ireland game between UCF and Penn St at Croke Park today.

Game will be the Saturday kickoff on ESPN2 with apparently a lot of "support, build up and marketing" from ESPN along with integration with College Gameday during the broadcast. Kickoff is set for August 30, 2014 at 1:30PM Ireland time or 8:30AM EST. It's being treated as an AAC-run game. Guess technically UCF is the "home" school.

Travel packages look to be quite overpriced, as expected. Will look into booking everything myself instead.

The 2014 UCF OOC schedule is now:
Penn St in Ireland
FIU
@ Mizzou (heard rumblings they want to buy the game out and avoid playing us)
BYU

We dropped the FCS team previously scheduled - which I'm glad we've been doing. This will be the 3th straight year not playing a FCS team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom