• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OSU equals Oklahoma State around here. Maurice Clarett University works, or tOSU does as well.

I have mixed feels about this, bros.

On one hand, I support this, because Tapout-Logo Big 12 4 Life, yo.

On the other hand, I'm a Texas Tech fan so I reserve the right to use derogatory terms like Xerox U to describe the 'Pokes.

KingGondo

Banned
Hmm, I don't get this one. Like, they're a Xerox copy of Oklahoma? Or something?
No, according to Tech fans they're so awesome we can't help but copy everything they do.

We do the same "pistols" hand signal, we have a rider on a black horse, um... I can't remember what else. I'm sure PC and Monroeski can fill you in.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oh, ok. I think we've actually had this conversation before.

Yeah, can't imagine anyone deliberately copying TTech, but *shrug*.
I heard that OSU is going to start throwing tortillas this season.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh, ok. I think we've actually had this conversation before.

Yeah, can't imagine anyone deliberately copying TTech, but *shrug*.
Honestly though, how many variations of a "gun" hand signal can you think of? Apparently Tech's is so brilliant (and not obvious) that we had to flat-out steal theirs. I heard they're gonna try to patent it.

I heard that OSU is going to start throwing tortillas this season.
Nope, we just throw Boone's money.

mcgruber

I agree that it's unlikely.

The next suckiest scenario is tOSU making it (no offense to the bucknuts here). I can think of several teams that would pretty easily go undefeated in the B1G this year.

P.S. These statements are preemptively taken back if my beloved Pokes miraculously end up in the MNCG against either of those teams.

alabama and A&M have some pretty weak schedules too. Louisville's schedule is worse than boise 2011, where they lost one game to TCU and beat #22 georgia and ended #8. I cant imagine them being a top 5 team unless teddy bridgewater hype somehow affects their rankings or they blow out opponents by 60 pts.

Are UCF/USF/Rutgers supposed to be decent enough to challenge louisville?

edit: forgot aac was aq

Draxal

alabama and A&M have some pretty weak schedules too. Louisville's schedule is worse than boise 2011, where they lost one game to TCU and beat #22 georgia and ended #8. I cant imagine them being a top 5 team unless teddy bridgewater hype somehow affects their rankings or they blow out opponents by 60 pts.

Are UCF/USF/Rutgers supposed to be decent enough to challenge louisville?

edit: forgot aac was aq

Well, Ville lost to Conn at home last year. Teddy Bridgewater is a gamechanging player.

As for the Ville/WVU to Big 12 thing, I think they should have taken them with Cincinnati.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
No, according to Tech fans they're so awesome we can't help but copy everything they do.

We do the same "pistols" hand signal, we have a rider on a black horse, um... I can't remember what else. I'm sure PC and Monroeski can fill you in.

In truth we only have ourselves to blame for the Spirit Rider thing since it was a Tech grad that introduced the idea to OSU.

You have no one else to blame for the theft of our calendar software, though. ::shakes fist::

KingGondo

Banned
In truth we only have ourselves to blame for the Spirit Rider thing since it was a Tech grad that introduced the idea to OSU.

You have no one else to blame for the theft of our calendar software, though. ::shakes fist::
I'm honestly not familiar with the second one.

Stop bringing up facts and historical evidence, like embarrassing cash settlements for IP theft, Monroeski. It gets in the way of the goofball narrative that Texas Tech is just making up all this shit up and came up with the moniker "Xerox U" for OSU because we have nothing better to do.

I'm honestly not familiar with the second one.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/070904/loc_070904039.shtml

Basically, when you guys hired Texas Tech's President David Schmidly to be your President, he brought some of our IT guys with him to work for OSU, and they stole a suite of proprietary software from Texas Tech's servers. But yeah, OSU never copies anything from Texas Tech.

KingGondo

Banned
Stop bringing up facts and historical evidence, like embarrassing cash settlements for IP theft, Monroeski. It gets in the way of the goofball narrative that Texas Tech is just making up all this shit up and came up with the moniker "Xerox U" for OSU because we have nothing better to do.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/070904/loc_070904039.shtml
Never heard about that.

So is there anything besides that, the "guns up" thing and the Spirit Rider?

To be fair, that does sound like something TTech would do.

I didn't say it.

Meier

Holy fuck at this Nick O'Leary story/video.. whoa.

proxy.jpg

svr_thumb-pt1.0_standard_709.0.jpg

http://www.tomahawknation.com/flori...te-nick-oleary-motorcycle-crash-jack-nicklaus

So is there anything besides that, the "guns up" thing and the Spirit Rider?

Let's see:

**The original name of your University was A&M, which was copied from Texas A&M by the legislators that created the school. They chartered the school because they wanted a school like aTm in Oklahoma. So the very creation of the institution was a knockoff. This is a well-known and documented fact.

**The reason you are Orange and Black is because you copied the Princeton Tigers. In fact, the tiger also used to be your mascot. Also a well-known and documented fact.

**"Pistol Pete" you then stole from Wyoming who was already using it, even though you guys do have a claim that there was some Okie lawman named Pistol Pete back in the 1860s or something. It's a good-enough cover story, I guess, even though he never appeared at an OSU event until 1954. Wyoming were also using the term "Pokes" as a shortened nickname before you guys did.

**The paddles thing you copied from the OU RUF/NEKS.

**From Texas Tech you copied the horse-and-rider mascot, (this is not even in dispute) "pistols firing" (from our "Guns Up") and the aforementioned software suite.

You guys also "debuted" a Stillwater tradition called the "Calf Fry," a musical concert/fundraiser, 12 years after Texas Tech students created a Lubbock tradition, the "Kalf Fry," a musical concert/fundraiser.

Purely coincidently, I'm sure, you also began using a 3D logo, the "Orange--Power" chant (after our "Raider--Power") and the all-black uniform variation after Texas Tech had all those things.

**You guys also started doing the swaying in the stands (aTm) "Waving Wheat" (Kansas) thing.

**The melody of one of your fight songs, "The Waving Song" was copied verbatim from the Broadway show tune "In Old New York." But I don't care about that. At least y'all picked something that wasn't already in use by another university at the time.​

...But yeah. There's no reason why you guys get called "Xerox U" by Texas Tech folks.

It's all in our imagination.

...but at least we HAVE an imagination. Apparently that's a lacking commodity up in Stillwater.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Xerox U?

:|

Well, at least Nick Leary has another thing to be known for (besides being a golfer's Grandson, as well as "snubbed Alabama to languish in mediocrity at FSU")

For the Alabama guys, if you remember Jeremy Elder, the guy who robbed a student back in 2007 and was one of Saban's first "Processed" players. Died of a heart attack.

mcgruber

Let's see:

**The original name of your University was A&M, which was copied from Texas A&M by the legislators that created the school. They chartered the school because they wanted a school like aTm in Oklahoma. So the very creation of the institution was a knockoff. This is a well-known and documented fact.

**The reason you are Orange and Black is because you copied the Princeton Tigers. In fact, the tiger also used to be your mascot. Also a well-known and documented fact.

**"Pistol Pete" you then stole from Wyoming who was already using it, even though you guys do have a claim that there was some Okie lawman named Pistol Pete back in the 1860s or something. It's a good-enough cover story, I guess, even though he never appeared at an OSU event until 1954. Wyoming were also using the term "Pokes" as a shortened nickname before you guys did.

**From Texas Tech you copied the horse-and-rider mascot, (this is not even in dispute) "pistols firing" (from our "Guns Up") and the aforementioned software suite.

You guys also "debuted" a Stillwater tradition called the "Calf Fry," a musical concert/fundraiser, 12 years after Texas Tech students created a Lubbock tradition, the "Kalf Fry," a musical concert/fundraiser.

Purely coincidently, I'm sure, you also began using a 3D logo, the "Orange--Power" chant (after our "Raider--Power") and the all-black uniform variation after Texas Tech had all those things.

**You guys also started doing the swaying in the stands (aTm) "Waving Wheat" (Kansas) thing.

**The melody of one of your fight songs, "The Waving Song" was copied verbatim from the Broadway show tune "In Old New York." But I don't care about that. At least y'all picked something that wasn't already in use by another university at the time.​

...But yeah. There's no reason why you guys get called "Xerox U" by Texas Tech folks.

...but at least we HAVE an imagination. Apparently that's a lacking commodity up in Stillwater.

You seem really salty that they won a big 12 title before you. They copied you, and somehow became more successful. Is there an okie equivalent of raider rash too?

You seem really salty that they won a big 12 title before you. They copied you, and somehow became more successful. Is there an okie equivalent of raider rash too?

Nope. We'll win one when we deserve to win one. They deserved theirs, and I congratulated Gondo when they won.

And LOL...There is no such thing as "Raider Rash." Well, there's no such thing that's different from any other school, anyway. That was a myth perpetuated by the Aggies.

Do Texas Tech students have a lot of sex? Hell yeah. (I know this is a shock...college students have sex.) But is the "Raider Rash" thing real? Not really.

You see, the Aggies who created the myth online on their cult forum read an article in the paper that Lubbock had a high rate of STDs as reported by publicly-financed health services. They of course chose to omit the fact that the folks who come to the clinics for stuff like indigent health care (including a large migrant farm worker population from an approx 300 mi. radius around Lubbock) and Texas Tech are different. In fact, the vast, vast majority of Texas Tech students don't even use the health services that reported the statistics. An information-sharing study conducted by the American College Health Association of Big 12 schools' health services found that Texas Tech's per-capita diagnoses of STDs were basically no different than anybody else's in the Big 12. Shockingly, some campuses were actually slightly worse. (Oooooooh. Sex is so dirty! Shame!)

Are you an Aggie? If not, stop living in the 1800's.

Karakand

Let's see:

Damn, and I thought Cal was bad for stealing UCLA's fight song and mascot animal.

mcgruber

Nope. We'll win one when we deserve to win one. They deserved theirs, and I congratulated Gondo when they won.

And LOL...There is no such thing as "Raider Rash." Well, there's no such thing that's different from any other school, anyway. That was a myth perpetuated by the Aggies.

Do Texas Tech students have a lot of sex? Hell yeah. (I know this is a shock...college students have sex.) But is the "Raider Rash" thing real? Not really.

You see, the Aggies who created the myth online on their cult forum read an article in the paper that Lubbock had a high rate of STDs as reported by publicly-financed health services. They of course chose to omit the fact that the folks who come to the clinics for stuff like indigent health care (including a large migrant farm worker population from an approx 300 mi. radius around Lubbock) and Texas Tech are different. In fact, the vast, vast majority of Texas Tech students don't even use the health services that reported the statistics. An information-sharing study conducted by the American College Health Association of Big 12 schools' health services found that Texas Tech's per-capita diagnoses of STDs were basically no different than anybody else's in the Big 12. Shockingly, some campuses were actually slightly worse. (Oooooooh. Sex is so dirty! Shame!)

Are you an Aggie? If not, stop living in the 1800's.

Not an aggie, raider rash was a joke geez. Since you seem to be knowledgeable on the history of such things, what's with the whole Aggie and sheep joke? And the jar thing...is real?

cashman

Banned
Not an aggie, raider rash was a joke geez. Since you seem to be knowledgeable on the history of such things, what's with the whole Aggie and sheep joke? And the jar thing...is real?

jizz jar was real. I'm pretty sure it's not around anymore since there stopped doing the bonfire. I'm curious about the sheep fucking though.

Karakand

I'm no expert on the school that stole its name from Caltech, but I think gendered insults will get you voted off the island kicked out of the tree, Cyan.

I know. And I know you're not an Aggie. I was being sarcastic, but that never translates well on GAF. That's why most people think I'm a dick around here. Lawl.

I've only heard the jar was real. It doesn't really involve Texas Tech (since the bonfire tradition is a UT/A&M rivalry thing, so I haven't really felt obligated to research it. Longhorn historian-types probably know way more than I would about these things.

There's enough goofy shit that is well documented about the Aggies to make one believe just about anything at this point. I know at one point they tried to bombard Baylor with a Howitzer, and I know they were responsible for the death of two of our horses (one which was pregnant,) fucked with Bevo, and had an incident where a corps member drew his sword on a male cheerleader and still got his ass kicked as well. That really should be enough.

As far as the Texas Tech/A&M "partnership" in the old SWC and the Big 12 goes, well, the history is pretty bad. They've basically accused us of everything short of eating babies. Sometimes these lies have been generated by high-ranking administrators and in official publications and events. If I haven't done a post on all these yarns yet, (I know I did one a season or two ago about the "Gap Kid" incident) I really should sometime, because it's really amusing what pathetic liars and bad sports they are.

Oh, SEC. They're your problem now.

Limedust

Damn, and I thought Cal was bad for stealing UCLA's fight song and mascot animal.

Alabama stole the Ole Miss "Hotty Toddy" chant and turned it into a "fuck your team, you guys suck and we'll destroy you" chant. Really.

EDIT --

For the Alabama guys, if you remember Jeremy Elder, the guy who robbed a student back in 2007 and was one of Saban's first "Processed" players. Died of a heart attack.

Well, damn.

Jhriad

Well, you don't know shit about Texas Tech or its gameday atmosphere, so *shrug*

Assemble a crew of redneck dullards that couldn't get into A&M or UT, inject copious amounts of alcohol, and add in insulting language and rude behavior. Welcome to my every experience with Tech fans.

Let's see:

If blank stares had mass my face would be a black hole right now.

andycapps

I want to know who lays claim to being the OG Tigers in CFB.

I would get mad about Miss State copying our mascot but hey, they're not worth getting mad over.

I happened to watch a video on Georgia State's program last year and they ripped one of UGA's exact fight song/band interlude things. I mean, I guess they're a little brother school so that's okay for now, but that's going to be annoying if and when they're a legit program.

Jhriad said:
Assemble a crew of redneck dullards that couldn't get into A&M or UT, inject copious amounts of alcohol, and add in insulting language and rude behavior. Welcome to my every experience with Tech fans.

So they're the Auburn of the Big 12.

Draxal

I want to know who lays claim to being the OG Tigers in CFB.

I would get mad about Miss State copying our mascot but hey, they're not worth getting mad over.

I happened to watch a video on Georgia State's program last year and they ripped one of UGA's exact fight song/band interlude things. I mean, I guess they're a little brother school so that's okay for now, but that's going to be annoying if and when they're a legit program.

It's not going to happen with the power conference split and Georgia State moving up is one of those reasons they want to split.

mcgruber

I know. And I know you're not an Aggie. I was being sarcastic, but that never translates well on GAF. That's why most people think I'm a dick around here. Lawl.

I've only heard the jar was real. It doesn't really involve Texas Tech (since the bonfire tradition is a UT/A&M rivalry thing, so I haven't really felt obligated to research it. Longhorn historian-types probably know way more than I would about these things.

As far as the Texas Tech/A&M "partnership" in the old SWC and the Big 12 goes, well, the history is pretty bad. They've basically accused us of everything short of eating babies. Sometimes these lies have been generated by high-ranking administrators and in official publications and events. If I haven't done a post on all these yarns yet, (I know I did one a season or two ago about the "Gap Kid" incident) I really should sometime, because it's really amusing what pathetic liars and bad sports they are.

Oh, SEC. They're your problem now.

Do we have any longhorn historians here? Or even that many ut fans? I looked up the gap kid incident and got a good laugh out of it, so thanks for that

andycapps

Do we have any longhorn historians here? Or even that many ut fans? I looked up the gap kid incident and got a good laugh out of it, so thanks for that

We used to have a lot more Longhorn fans than we do now. Now it's just Confusing Jazz and one or two others.

KingGondo

Banned
Let's see:

Wow, that's a lot more thought and research than I'd ever put toward Texas Tech.

Congrats?

We used to have a lot more Longhorn fans than we do now. Now it's just Confusing Jazz and one or two others.

I think Sto0ge was our historian back in the day, but I can share with you the history of Bevo in short form.

Basically the original Bevo was branded with a 13-0 marking by some aggs after their football team beat us by that score. aggy lore claims tsips were dumb enough to see the 13 as a letter "B" and the 0 as the letter "O" and some how the "-" formed a "EV"? So Texas aptly named the steer "Bevo". However, it is well documented that the name "Bevo" in reference to that steer was used a year before the 13-0 branding incident. How Texas came up with the Bevo name is somewhat unsolved, but one theory that is completely ruled out is the one aggy believes to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom