• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Fuck yeah! And it's his birthday too. I'm assuming they knew for a while and are giving this to him as a birthday present. On my phone or I'd link all the stories about what happened with him.

NM looks like latest tests had him finally below the threshold.

Well, if the NCAA is forgiving of a known steroid abuser, maybe they won't pay attention to this whole Biogenesis deal.

Lot of preseason bowl predictions( I know) have texas or tcu playing aggie in the cotton bowl

Yeah if we won one more game last year we probably would have faced them in the cotton bowl. This year I think both teams are projected to go ~10-2 so it could happen. Doubt Cotton bowl organizers want that to happen though. Yeah the ratings would be good in Texas, but they're trying to bring the Cotton bowl back to the national spotlight and having 2 teams from Texas play eachother in Texas won't do service to that.

mcgruber

Yeah if we won one more game last year we probably would have faced them in the cotton bowl. This year I think both teams are projected to go ~10-2 so it could happen. Doubt Cotton bowl organizers want that to happen though. Yeah the ratings would be good in Texas, but they're trying to bring the Cotton bowl back to the national spotlight and having 2 teams from Texas play eachother in Texas won't do service to that.

Aggie is expected to underperform compared to last year. I could see a texas/lsu matchup. They would try to avoid a rematch between lsu/tcu, right? Or are rematches only for Bama?

Er, that would play well for national attention. And ESPN or whomever is broadcasting it next year...fox? Shit, it's probably Fox, isn't it?... would be hyping it through the rough. All the damn traditionalists would be all excited for it, especially those that overrate ND.

Draxal

It would be a huge story.

Jhriad

Fucking Fox. People that bitch about ESPN should really watch Fox cover live sports.

2012-November-30-19-36-2.jpg

Nah, I think I'm good.

mcgruber

Fucking Fox. People that bitch about ESPN should really watch Fox cover live sports.

I don't think fox is that bad, think I've only watched one college football game or two on fox, but I like their nfl program/game selections as well.
Who has Jesse Palmer? He and mark may can be unbearable.

Also, what's fox sports 1? Is it a replacement to regional fox sports or a "premium" channel

Also, what's fox sports 1? Is it a replacement to regional fox sports or a "premium" channel

FS1 is Fox Sports' answer to ESPN--meant to be a wide-ranging, basic cable, 24-hour sports channel.

They will offer live NASCAR and all non-PPV UFC programming except the events scheduled for the regular Fox broadcast channel, also, NCAA football (Pac-12, Big 12, CUSA), NCAA basketball (Pac-12, Big 12, Big East, CUSA), and UEFA Champions League soccer. Live Major League Baseball games will debut on FS1 in 2014. FS1 will also be the US home of the FIFA World Cup in 2015.

Fox is pouring tons of money into this deal, so their presentation/production of all major events is bound to improve. Only problem is, they are rapidly approaching the debut date, and, as has become the norm, the "big 3" providers ( DirecTV, DishNetwork, and Time Warner) are playing hardball with the rate, so it'll likely come down to the wire.

cashman

Banned
FS1 is Fox Sports' answer to ESPN--meant to be a wide-ranging, basic cable, 24-hour sports channel.

They will offer live NASCAR and all non-PPV UFC programming except the events scheduled for the regular Fox broadcast channel, also, NCAA football (Pac-12, Big 12, CUSA), NCAA basketball (Pac-12, Big 12, Big East, CUSA), and UEFA Champions League soccer. Live Major League Baseball games will debut on FS1 in 2014. FS1 will also be the US home of the FIFA World Cup in 2015.

Fox is pouring tons of money into this deal, so their presentation/production of all major events is bound to improve. Only problem is, they are rapidly approaching the debut date, and, as has become the norm, the "big 3" providers ( DirecTV, DishNetwork, and Time Warner) are playing hardball with the rate, so it'll likely come down to the wire.

This better come on a basic package for DirecTV. I missed playoff hockey because I couldn't get NBCSN

This better come on a basic package for DirecTV. I missed playoff hockey because I couldn't get NBCSN

Fox's goal is to have it on every basic package.

Speaking of which, I just got an offer from them to upgrade to the Genie box for free. Do you have this? It sounds pretty cool, but I'd like to hear other people's impressions before I change my system out.

http://www.rolltide.com/compliance/pdf/VIOLATION-TRACKING-FORM-2012-13.pdf

Alabama's a Rogue Program!

SECONDARY VIOLATIONS ALL OVER THE PLACE, GLOCKGLOCK

Some impermissable meals, too many phone calls from the staff, and a player used his own name when he started up a business.

LOL @ all the "rules education" sanctions and other slaps on the wrist. Texas Tech coaches just sent impermissible text messages, which they themselves uncovered and reported, and they voluntarily self-imposed recruiting restrictions and scholarship reductions, and still got a two-year probation from the NCAA, which called it a major infraction. Bet that doesn't happen to the Tide.

Vas has been on thin ice for some time. Hopefully its not perma, we love our lone thundering herd fan.

I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. That thread was a graveyard.

CUSA should be easy-street this year. Gonna miss you guys. ECU, too. (Next year) Especially with two years in a row with near top of the list (among non-BCS) recruiting classes in a row.

God, I hope we start to recruit thugs again. Those were the golden years. Having a oorrupt program was awesome, but when the NCAA takes a bite out of your ass, it ain't so fun. UCF fans will know what I'm talking about soon enough, lol.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
UDNAUNTED
UDNISPUTED
UDNEFEATED
Manti Te'o doesn't see anything wrong with those words.

As an aside, I attended a deposition in Chicago today where the deponent was a graduate of The Clarett State University over in Columbus, Ohio. Took a look at his resume and the motherfucker included the "The." Pretentious pricks. :p

Indeed it is. Dressed like (1) a viking and (2) an old white guy on vacation.

Just making sure. They keep talking about Beamer Ball, but it never really seems to help. I figured it had to be something non football related, and a flash that leads to overexposure.

KingGondo

Banned
There are a lot of Michigan and Alabama fans in Knoxville?
My neighbor across the street is an OSU alum and fan, but he also loves the shit out of Michigan. I guess he just grew up liking them.

I don't really have a second team like that when it comes to college sports. Or a third.

Unlike some people.

*coughs*

mre

My neighbor across the street is an OSU alum and fan, but he also loves the shit out of Michigan. I guess he just grew up liking them.

I don't really have a second team like that when it comes to college sports. Or a third.

Unlike some people.

*coughs*
How can someone be an alum of OSU and like Michigan as well? There has to be some sort of weird, reality-bending, world-destroying reasoning going on in his head.

Lonestar

I can't come up with a physical location on earth that has large sections of tosu, Michigan, ND, and Alabama fans. Not possible.

Also, remember when this happened?

I can't come up with a physical location on earth that has large sections of tosu, Michigan, ND, and Alabama fans. Not possible.

Also, remember when this happened?

I think I live in a city of front runners honestly, hence how I would explain Alabama and the ND fans that cropped up this winter.

I'm about 3 hours away from Michigan, so I am used to seeing Michigan fans all over the place.

KingGondo

Banned
Ohhh, I guess there's nothing conflicting about being a fan of Oregon State and Michigan.
Fun fact: "Oregon State University" doesn't actually exist. It's just Oregon's second team dressed in different unis.

Nobody has ever actually been to "Corvallis" or seem them play live, which is also evidenced by the fact that there are no real Beavers fans in CFB-GAF, just alt accounts set up by me to keep the morale of Pac-12 fans up.

It was a fun hoax while it lasted.

mre

Fun fact: "Oregon State University" doesn't actually exist. It's just Oregon's second team dressed in different unis.

Nobody has ever actually been to "Corvallis" or seem them play live, which is also evidenced by the fact that there are no real Beavers fans in CFB-GAF, just alt accounts set up by me to keep the morale of Pac-12 fans up.

It was a fun hoax while it lasted.

Well, then I guess I'm a little surprised that someone would be a fan of anything Oswego State University, but I don't see the conflict between cheering for them and Michigan.

Lonestar

I think I live in a city of front runners honestly, hence how I would explain Alabama and the ND fans that cropped up this winter.

I'm about 3 hours away from Michigan, so I am used to seeing Michigan fans all over the place.

Guess it's still alien to me, that Alabama now has "front runner fans" considering that I grew up an Alabama fan, since my earliest thoughts in the mid 80's. To me, it's the Miami, Florida, and FSU fans that were all Frontrunners, because none of those teams did anything until the 80's. You're all fakes in my eyes! You aren't real until you can claim championships from, bare minimum, 50 years before you were born!

andycapps

Well, then I guess I'm a little surprised that someone would be a fan of anything Oswego State University, but I don't see the conflict between cheering for them and Michigan.

I miss when Texas was relevant enough that we could give them hell about UT being for University of Tampa.

Guess it's still alien to me, that Alabama now has "front runner fans" considering that I grew up an Alabama fan, since my earliest thoughts in the mid 80's. To me, it's the Miami, Florida, and FSU fans that were all Frontrunners, because none of those teams did anything until the 80's. You're all fakes in my eyes! You aren't real until you can claim championships from, bare minimum, 50 years before you were born!

I think I'll know what you're going through if the Browns ever happen to get good. Though I'm certain the Buckeyes have a ton of front runner fans, it just doesn't register because I'm a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom