• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag-my001

I think Sto0ge was our historian back in the day, but I can share with you the history of Bevo in short form.

Basically the original Bevo was branded with a 13-0 marking by some aggs after their football team beat us by that score. aggy lore claims tsips were dumb enough to see the 13 as a letter "B" and the 0 as the letter "O" and some how the "-" formed a "EV"? So Texas aptly named the steer "Bevo". However, it is well documented that the name "Bevo" in reference to that steer was used a year before the 13-0 branding incident. How Texas came up with the Bevo name is somewhat unsolved, but one theory that is completely ruled out is the one aggy believes to be true.
Which is odd, as I had to correct my girlfriend's brother when he tried to tell me this story. Also, how the hell did I end up dating the one girl in Maryland whose brother went to UT-Austin?

Which is odd, as I had to correct my girlfriend's brother when he tried to tell me this story. Also, how the hell did I end up dating the one girl in Maryland whose brother went to UT-Austin?

Like you said before, your undergrad was from another institution so you only drank half the kool-aide. the super saturated kool-aid is served during fish camp for the undergrad freshmen.

ag-my001

I suppose so. When I was there the main traditions people seemed to miss were the real, on-campus bonfire and the slow decay of bottle-cap alley. No idea what team will get the fish in spurs after SMU this year. I never once heard any mention of jars, and the only hazing incidents (reported) involved the duck-taping of cadets to posts.

To clarify, it was the longhorn who tried to tell me the fake Bevo origin story. Guess that's what he gets for enjoying his frat too much and not graduating.

I suppose so. When I was there the main traditions people seemed to miss were the real, on-campus bonfire and the slow decay of bottle-cap alley. No idea what team will get the fish in spurs after SMU this year. I never once heard any mention of jars, and the only hazing incidents (reported) involved the duck-taping of cadets to posts.

To clarify, it was the longhorn who tried to tell me the fake Bevo origin story. Guess that's what he gets for enjoying his frat too much and not graduating.

aggy has such conviction with their beliefs that sometimes even non-aggs will accept their stories as the truth. I believed it at one point too when my aggy cousin shared the story with me years ago. I didn't fact check her, because for one this was before I attended UT, and secondly I thought why would she tell me a story that wasn't true?

KingGondo

Banned
Cal, definitely. Georgia Tech stole it from us at the same time they stole one of our songs.

From there it spread to the SEC, and then because we're high-falutin and didn't want to be associated with the Confederacy, we switched to a new mascot, and then so did Ga Tech, or as we call them, "Copying Us All the Time Tech."

Anyway, we switched to Eagles but a bunch of schools copied us again, including Auburn, or as we call them, "Carbon Paper U."

Finally we switched to Bears, and a bunch of places copied us yet again, including another Confederate school, but by this time we were like "fuck it, bears are cool."
At least your bears are golden. Also, they're not racist.

Racist bears are the worst.

At least your bears are golden. Also, they're not racist.

Racist bears are the worst.

image.php

Jhriad

This is the year! Mack Brown says their new hurry-up offense will help their defense, and I believe him.

Ask Bo Pelini how well that works out for your defense. Of course the level of talent Texas should have in the cupboard on that side of the ball should be higher so maybe that will help.

Not sure who else would want to get beat by 60 in their CCG, though.

Please elaborate on your experience with NCAA Football 2014. Has EA fixed the line play yet?

I remember that shit show from last year but we weren't beaten by 60. It was bad enough as it was. One of these days a Pelini team will play consistently good ball in all phases of the game. That will of course be after he has "moved on" from Nebraska.

KingGondo

Banned
Ask Bo Pelini how well that works out for your defense. Of course the level of talent Texas should have in the cupboard on that side of the ball should be higher so maybe that will help.
It's not like Texas' defense is all that great to begin with, and I'm pretty sure the only team that could pull that off successfully is Bama, since their entire 3-deep on defense is NFL-bound.

It's also amusing since Texas has been recruiting to a ground and pound SEC style offense since Colt McCoy left, and all of a sudden they're going spread? I'm sure there will be no hiccups.

I think Sto0ge was our historian back in the day, but I can share with you the history of Bevo in short form.

Basically the original Bevo was branded with a 13-0 marking by some aggs after their football team beat us by that score. aggy lore claims tsips were dumb enough to see the 13 as a letter "B" and the 0 as the letter "O" and some how the "-" formed a "EV"? So Texas aptly named the steer "Bevo". However, it is well documented that the name "Bevo" in reference to that steer was used a year before the 13-0 branding incident. How Texas came up with the Bevo name is somewhat unsolved, but one theory that is completely ruled out is the one aggy believes to be true.

Bevo was either named after a non alcoholic beer or a comic strip.

Probably the comic strip, because the near beer wasn't popular before national prohibition.

Do we have any longhorn historians here? Or even that many ut fans? I looked up the gap kid incident and got a good laugh out of it, so thanks for that

The jar is super aggie, therefore probably real, especially since it was all male until the 60s.

EDIT: Also, the twelfth man the aggs are so proud of? Yeah, that's from Iowa.

Bevo was either named after a non alcoholic beer or a comic strip.

Probably the comic strip, because the near beer wasn't popular before national prohibition.

The jar is super aggie, therefore probably real, especially since it was all male until the 60s.

EDIT: Also, the twelfth man the aggs are so proud of? Yeah, that's from Iowa.

Iowa does a Gator chomp, when confronted, they will say they did it first and its a hawks beak.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
USCe's findings on Clowney:
"Based on the facts that USC has gathered, Jadeveon Clowney has not had any impermissible conversations nor has he received any impermissible benefits."

"hey guys, it's cool. We looked at the Clowney case, and discovered that there's a Five Guys Burger & Fries next door, and they have killer fries, man. Case Closed."

andycapps

USCe's findings on Clowney:

"hey guys, it's cool. We looked at the Clowney case, and discovered that there's a Five Guys Burger & Fries next door, and they have killer fries, man. Case Closed."

"We asked him and he said that he was innocent, so there you go!"

Can anyone get his contact info? I want to buy a jersey from him.

Assemble a crew of redneck dullards that couldn't get into A&M or UT, inject copious amounts of alcohol, and add in insulting language and rude behavior. Welcome to my every experience with Tech fans.

LOL @ academic smack. Also LOL @ "redneck dullards," considering our ethnic diversity statistics are very good, (1/3 of our student body,) our degree attainment statistics for african-american and hispanic students are consistently in the top 25 of universities nationwide, and most of our students come from the largest metro areas in Texas.

http://www.edtrust.org/dc/press-roo...leges-taking-responsibility-for-student-succe

It's actually more insane than that. (Surprise! Something involving the Aggies is even more insane than it appears on the surface!) The Aggies weren't even celebrating a recent win, they were celebrating one that occurred in 1915, even though it was 1917 when the branding occurred, and in the 1916 game, the Longhorns drummed the Aggies 21-7.

Basically, the Aggies were still "scoreboarding" an old win, after losing the most recent game...another case of the great tradition of sportsmanship the Aggies are so known for.

The real story is much more interesting. It began on Thanksgiving Day, 1916 at the inauguration of the new UT president, before the annual grudge match against the Aggies.

A boxed meal for twenty-five cents was available for those who wanted to picnic on the campus. Folks who preferred a more traditional Thanksgiving Day feast headed for the "Caf," an unpainted, leaky wooden shack that somehow managed to function as the University Cafeteria. The full turkey dinner cost fifty cents.

To offer further context: Charlie Chaplin was the world's greatest star, a postage stamp cost 2 cents, these UT students had parents that could recall fearing Comanche raids as children, Pancho Villa was running amok on the border with Pershing in hopeless pursuit, millions were being slaughtered at Verdun and the Somme, Montana had just elected the first Congresswoman in US History, Einstein completed his theory of relativity, and the United States (population 100 million) spent 710 million dollars for the entire fiscal year.

The afternoon was reserved for the annual football bout with the A & M College of Texas. A record 15,000 fans packed the wooden bleachers at Clark Field, the University's first athletic field, where Taylor Hall and the ACES Building are now.

While UT crowds now swell to 100,000+, A&M, always a creature of tradition, continues to prefer smaller crowds. Students wore fur coats, waved pennants, yelled "Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah" and did lots of other things we've all seen in Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.

Then something magical happened. And by magical, I mean in the animal cruelty sense:

During halftime, two West Texas cowboys dragged a half-starved and frightened longhorn steer onto the field, where it was formally presented to the UT student body by a group of Texas Exes.

The ornery beast had been acquired from a foiled cattle rustler raid and sent to Austin for his pleasing orange hue. And why was the poor beast afrighted and half mad?

Loaded onto a boxcar without food or water, the steer arrived at the Austin train station just in time for the football game.

Our bad, Bevo. But at least your gentle nature was evident through that trauma, right?

After presenting the longhorn to the students, the animal was removed to a South Austin stockyard for a formal photograph and a long overdue meal. The steer, though, wasn't very cooperative. It stood still just long enough for a flash photograph, and then charged the camera. The photographer scurried out of the corral just in time, and both the camera and photograph survived the ordeal.

Then, something crucial happened. Something that conclusively disproves the legend we've all been taught:

To spread the news, the December 1916 issue of the Texas Exes Alcalde magazine was rushed into press. Editor Ben Dyer (BA 1910) gave a full account of the game and halftime proceedings. About the longhorn, Dyer stated simply, "His name is Bevo. Long may he reign!"

That's it. Bevo was coined. And probably not after the branded beer, as many believe today, but after the slang word for steer - "beeve" - with an affectionate -o added to the end. See Groucho, Harpo, Chico - a vaudevillian convention of the time. A&M students later broke into Bevo's stockyard February 12th, 1917 - months later - and branded him 13-0, the score of A&M's 1915 victory in College Station. The 13-0 branding happened, but it did not result in Bevo's name.

Thus the Aggies can only be credited for molesting livestock. A school tradition.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2010/06/21/bevo-the-real-story/

Lonestar

Real talk. My subscription tab is what I have booked marked to get here. I look at it first everytime, then ill pop over the the OT to scan thread titles for 2 minutes.

That's my setup as well. I usually scan all my updated sub's, which can take 2-10 minutes, and if I'm not posting on something in there, then I'll check out the OT, scan the 1st page or 2, and if nothing looks interesting, I'll do the same to the main Gaming forum. Might only click either of the community buttons once or twice a day.

KingGondo

Banned
It really is a shame Aggy and Texas don't play anymore.

Damn that rivalry is salty, plus it made Thanksgiving weekend even more amazing.

Pimpwerx

So I've followed zero college football in the offseason. None. Did anything happen to the Gators that I should know about? I'm eager for that first Div2 first week tuneup already. PEACE.

Lonestar

So I've followed zero college football in the offseason. None. Did anything happen to the Gators that I should know about? I'm eager for that first Div2 first week tuneup already. PEACE.

woofwooofwoofwoofwoof arrested & Urban turned you guys in, to the NCAA.

Local news lady says she saw the Hyde video and reported the following:

"The video then shows Hyde pointing at the woman's face, saying something to her, and turning away from the situation. At that point, the video shows the woman batting or swatting at Hyde, but it was unclear if she made physical contact with Hyde.

Drayer reports that Hyde turned back in response, and that he stepped toward her and appeared to slap the woman in the face.

After the contact, the video shows the woman grabbing her face and turning to her friends, Drayer said. The video then shows Hyde leaving the area."

Although guy from yahoo says he saw it too and said hyde did not strike her. Disgunnabegood.gif

Pimpwerx

woofwooofwoofwoofwoof arrested & Urban turned you guys in, to the NCAA.

Has any coach in any sport won two championships with a team, and then have the entire fanbase hate his guys less than 5 years later? Seriously....wtf?

Also, Antonio Morrison's arrest is one of the funnier arrest stories this year. Hopefully that recent decommit from that defensive lineman isn't a big deal. I have no idea how the team is gonna play this year. It's been a while since that's been the case. PEACE.

I have to say: from a Big 12 perspective, Aggy's 2011 farewell tour couldn't have been more enjoyable, all topped off by that hilarious loss to Texas.

It's a bitter pill for us, because Pine Box Tommy couldn't get the damn job done. The only consolation we have is they had to cheat to squeak out the win, faking injuries to stop the no-huddle and that cheap shot on RB Eric Stephens in the third to take out his knee for the season after he rang up 122 yds on them.

Jhriad

It's a bitter pill for us, because Pine Box Tommy couldn't get the damn job done. The only consolation we have is they had to cheat to squeak out the win, faking injuries to stop the no-huddle and that cheap shot on RB Eric Stephens in the third to take out his knee for the season after he rang up 122 yds on them.

Big 12 should have called 30 penalties on 'em like they did in that NU-A&M game. Would you have been happier to win that way?

jagowar

I have no interest in seeing the longhorns play aggy ever again.

I do but only in the national championship.... how awesome would that game be in pasadena if we both make it there.

I have to say: from a Big 12 perspective, Aggy's 2011 farewell tour couldn't have been more enjoyable, all topped off by that hilarious loss to Texas.

As much as that loss hurt in retrospect its one of the best things to happen to our program because w/o that loss sherman would still be the coach and we would probably be embarrassing ourselves in the sec.

andycapps

Fuck yeah! And it's his birthday too. I'm assuming they knew for a while and are giving this to him as a birthday present. On my phone or I'd link all the stories about what happened with him.

NM looks like latest tests had him finally below the threshold.

@marcweiszer: BREAKING NEWS: #UGA announces that OL Kolton Houston has been granted reinstatement by the NCAA,

@marcweiszer: Georgia says Kolton "Houston met the exit threshold following his most recent NCAA drug screening" .

Big 12 should have called 30 penalties on 'em like they did in that NU-A&M game. Would you have been happier to win that way?

God damn that game. Fucking blatant as hell what was going on. That said, Pelini did us no favors (despite the fact that I absolutely loved his antics and reactions at the time) in getting less calls against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom