• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah, bandwagon is another term for it.

That must be the yankee term for it.

yWIoIpw.gif

andycapps

I think I'll know what you're going through if the Browns ever happen to get good. Though I'm certain the Buckeyes have a ton of front runner fans, it just doesn't register because I'm a fan.

All of those that can't name the starting QB, for one. I see a lot of them in Columbus. I'm not a Buckeye fan and I can typically name more starters than the type of people I'm referring to.

^What the fuck just happened here?

Pac-12 Media Day today. Poll results:
Oregon was tabbed first in the North, earning 14 first-place votes and 139 total votes. The Ducks edged defending Rose Bowl champion Stanford, which was picked second in the North with 11 first-place votes and 134 total points.

The Ducks also were projected to win the Pac-12 title game.

UCLA won a close vote for the South title over Arizona State. The Bruins earned 12 first-place votes and 130 total points, with ASU securing nine first-place ballots and 124 points.

Pac-12 Football Media Poll:

NORTH: 1. Oregon (14) 139 points; 2. Stanford (11) 134; 3. Oregon State 91; 4. Washington 81; 5. Cal 45; 6. Washington State 32.

SOUTH: 1. UCLA (12) 130; 2. Arizona State (9) 124; 3. USC (4) 113; 4. Arizona 73; 5. Utah 58; 6. Colorado 27.
Sounds like there's no deal in sight for the Pac-12 Network and DirecTV. :/

mcgruber

Damn it, now I'm reading Tiger Droppings.

The best part is how lsu doesn't lose games. They either get cheated by the refs or "play down to the level of opponents like Clemson"

It'll be fun to read when/if Jeremy hill is suspended or they get upset by tcu/a&m/not bama

andycapps

Now you're stuck for good. The only thing there that interests me are LSUFREEK's .gifs but the good ones also find there way here so there's no need for me to browse tiger poop

Yeah I don't think it's worth it. I just read a thread asking who the top LB in the SEC will be, a Bama fan posted that the 6-7 LB's that Bama has will all be better than everyone else in the conference. And that was posted un-ironically.

The best part is how lsu doesn't lose games. They either get cheated by the refs or "play down to the level of opponents like Clemson"

It'll be fun to read when/if Jeremy hill is suspended or they get upset by tcu/a&m/not bama

Yeah I saw that. Also saw the conspiracy that Bama and Auburn are favored every year in scheduling, but that LSU is penalized every time.

Has every AD has called for NCAA reform in their respective media days thus far? Maybe I'm narcissistic but to me that carries as much weight as the North Koreans constantly preaching they desperately want "unification" with South Korea, even though efforts are rarely made.

Don't ask me to get inside the mind of an Aggy.

I imagine its like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-0Xa4bHcJu8

Has every AD has called for NCAA reform in their respective media days thus far? Maybe I'm narcissistic but to me that carries as much weight as the North Koreans constantly preaching they desperately want "unification" with South Korea, even though efforts are rarely made.

They are probably building it up as an excuse to break off from it in the next couple years.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
36 days! I love that our coach is entertaining and the media loves talking about him. Hope he can somehow get 6 wins this year. If our offense can get consistent I think our defense is really going to surprise some people this year. Lots of starters returning, just need to get them off the field more often. 6 wins are still going to be very tough:

August 31st @ Auburn (Going to this game)
-This will be an interesting game. Auburn was 3-9 last year but playing in their stadium could rattle some of our players. If they don't get mental about it and can shut down Auburn's run game I think we have a legit shot at winning this one. Can't wait to see what SEC football is all about. I've heard the Auburn fans are nice.

September 7th @ USC
-I don't even know the last time we won at USC. Yes, they are down but I don't see us winning this game.

September 14th vs Southern Utah
-Will be disappointed by anything less than a blow out.

September 21st vs. Idaho
-See above game.

September 28th vs. Stanford in Seattle (Going to this game)
-If we play Stanford tough we can beat them. Need to stop their run game and force them to throw. They beat us by 7 last year and we were driving in the final seconds and nearly tied it up. Should be a great game and could be a turning point in our season.

October 5th @ California
-Cal ran all over us last year and got a lot of YAC. Our defense was worn out and our offense couldn't do a damn thing inside the 20s. This will be a tough game.

October 12th vs. Oregon State
-We played OSU tough last year. Again, our offense sputtered and our D couldn't get any rest. OSU will be good again this year, another very tough game.

October 19th @ Oregon (Going to this game)
-We played them tough in the first half last year but got blown out in the second half. I expect similar results this year. Excited for my first trip to Autzen and I can't wait to visit the local breweries.

October 26th BYE
-Hey, it's not a loss.

October 31st vs Arizona State
-Halloween game! Should be a fun atmoshpere but I don't think we can hang in this one.

November 16th @ Arizona
-Defense will get worn out, don't see a win here.

November 23rd vs Utah
-Utah murdered us last year and ran the ball down our throats. If our D can stop their run game we might be competetive in this one.

November 29th @ Washington (going to this game)
-UW blew an 18 point lead against us last year in Pullman. It's the Apple Cup... anything can happen. I'm excited to see the new Husky Stadium.

Hello all of CFB-GAF. Keep meaning to introduce myself here but I tend to forget to look in the Community section lol. Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hey; I've lurked the CFB thread for many many years now and have always enjoyed everyone who participates.

Can't wait to finally partake in this thread during the season. There isn't any other sport like CFB, I live, breath and die with it and I'm stoked for another year of it; only a month away now!

As far as my team...well I'm born and raised in Nebraska, so it'll be another year of experiencing heart stoppage for short periods of time. I do live in the Dallas area now and the amount of Longhorn fans disgusts me but you know, it's all fun and games.

As far as my team...well I'm born and raised in Nebraska, so it'll be another year of experiencing heart stoppage for short periods of time. I do live in the Dallas area now and the amount of Longhorn fans disgusts me but you know, it's all fun and games.

I know, we're awful. Always beating you, and then producing an economy strong enough to give you employment, just to rub your face in it.

andycapps

Hello all of CFB-GAF. Keep meaning to introduce myself here but I tend to forget to look in the Community section lol. Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hey; I've lurked the CFB thread for many many years now and have always enjoyed everyone who participates.

Can't wait to finally partake in this thread during the season. There isn't any other sport like CFB, I live, breath and die with it and I'm stoked for another year of it; only a month away now!

Welcome. We're going to need to know whose posts you've enjoyed the most in your lurking time.

I know, we're awful. Always beating you, and then producing an economy strong enough to give you employment, just to rub your face in it.

Hahah, touche. You always beat us in the most heart wrenching and gut busting ways too. I realize college football is a lifetime passion of many fans and states now, but when it's literally all Nebraska has, it's something the entire state gets consumed with. With any loss it's basically a "We need to fire everyone immediately reaction" and then it subsides by the following Friday. Plus everyone goes on suicide watch when we lose to teams we shouldn't (Northwestern, Iowa State, etc), games are too close (South Dakota State a few years ago, Northwestern last year, Michigan State last year, etc) or we lose to Texas. Losing to Texas was essentially the worst thing ever. Due to that, I think it's only fair you offer a strong enough economy for us to get employment :D.

Welcome. We're going to need to know whose posts you've enjoyed the most in your lurking time.

I've always enjoyed posts from Gondo (see below for why lol), Cyan, and Mre. Plus the Nebraska faithful (Jhriad, jstevenson, etc).

His career options were limited, seeing as how he didn't want to husk corn.

This is why I love this thread. Sidenote - Iowa and Illinois produce more corn than Nebraska does. Just saying.

KingGondo

Banned
I've always enjoyed posts from Gondo (see below for why lol), Cyan, and Mre. Plus the Nebraska faithful (Jhriad, jstevenson, etc).

This is why I love this thread. Sidenote - Iowa and Illinois produce more corn than Nebraska does. Just saying.
You're all right, Junior.

And I don't care what the statistics say, Nebraska will always be the #1 corn producer... in my heart. <3

Karakand

^kinky

Fun fact: "Oregon State University" doesn't actually exist. It's just Oregon's second team dressed in different unis.

Nobody has ever actually been to "Corvallis" or seem them play live, which is also evidenced by the fact that there are no real Beavers fans in CFB-GAF, just alt accounts set up by me to keep the morale of Pac-12 fans up.

It was a fun hoax while it lasted.

When I was on the MAX leaving Portland's airport I saw a route map or something that listed Corvallis and knew it was total bullshit. I watch Grimm, I know there's large deception at play behind the "Keep Portland Weird" mantra.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
No mention of this?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130725/college-sports-braces-for-more-change/

What's next in college sports? Talk of seismic change in the air

After the upheaval of realignment, a frenzy of multimillion dollar television contracts and the agreement on a four-team football playoff starting in 2014, things finally appeared to be settling down in college sports.
Hope you enjoyed the past three months.
The talk of seismic change returned this week. Multiple conference commissioners hinted at media days that major changes in the way the NCAA is run are inevitable, including a new division made up of the schools which produce the most revenue.
Pointed comments by SEC commissioner Mike Slive last week toward the NCAA -- "there are important questions that must be answered" -- began the drumbeat. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby and ACC commissioner John Swofford spoke openly about "transformative change" and "some kind of reconfiguration of how we govern."
This week SI.com spoke with numerous high-level college sports officials, and there was a clear feeling among them that there would be many changes at the highest levels of college sports within the next year. The so-called Big 5 conferences -- Pac-12, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and ACC -- have been commiserating for months and there's a consensus that significant change is needed.
"I think there's such momentum at this point," said one prominent college official. "This wasn't an accident that you're getting this series of media day comments. The train is moving."
All five conference commissioners agree that the situation in untenable, that it's only getting worse and that there is a lack of NCAA leadership. What they haven't figured out yet is a solution. In January, an internal audit of the inner workings of the NCAA will be completed and officials don't expect the results to be pretty.
One thing is clear: College sports will likely look drastically different by the start of the 2014-15 school year, and there's a question of whether NCAA president Mark Emmert will be around for it.
Specific plans and proposals are several months away from being discussed. Conference commissioners are sensitive to taking attention away from the college football season the way that realignment did and will likely wait to have any substantive discussions until January's NCAA Convention in San Diego. But make no mistake: change is in the air.
Here's a look at the major issues:

What will happen?
At this point, it's easier to predict what won't happen. There is zero momentum to break from the NCAA and start a whole new organization. Whatever changes will be made will likely be under the NCAA's umbrella.
There's also little chance for significant change to the NCAA tournament. The one thing the NCAA does well is run championships, and unwinding the $10.8 billion CBS-Turner deal would be thorny.
The most likely change will be in the NCAA governance structure, and while that isn't particularly sexy, it's still significant.

How will things look?
This is impossible to answer right now. The Big 5 will likely form a new tier -- perhaps Division IV or a "super division" -- that creates an elite division of athletics still under the auspices of the NCAA. Think of a scenario where a total of 12-15 conferences -- about 150 schools -- end up in this new subset of Division I.
The key difference will be in governance structure and greater rule flexibility. The Big 5 want change so their ability to pass legislation, especially to provide more for their student athletes, isn't impeded by schools on radically different financial planes.
Think of a governance structure filled more with athletic directors and faculty instead of the current presidential-led Executive Committee. And the schools may end up with a structure similar in fashion to the United Nations, where the "security council," namely the Big 5, have final veto power after hearing from all parties.
A hypothetical: The Big 5 want a rule that they can provide training tables for all their athletes year round. The Atlantic 10, which is under the same umbrella, says that it can't afford that. The rule still passes and the A-10 simply doesn't have to implement it.

Who is in and who is out?
This will be the big question, much like in realignment. But think of this potential change as similar to realignment in that for all the drastic scenarios floated, in the end it wasn't nearly as earth shaking as many had predicted.
Along with the Big 5, a majority of the other major football-playing leagues would likely go with them -- Mountain West, American Athletic, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC. The top basketball leagues like the Big East, Atlantic-10 and perhaps the WCC would go as well. The Ivy League and Patriot League will be talked about, too.
This doesn't mean that the America Easts, Big Souths and Big Wests of the world will be all that different. They'll still have access to the NCAA tournament. Most would agree the NCAA tournament is a better event with Valparaiso, Long Beach State and Florida Gulf Coast.
So if a league is "out," it is really just subjected to a different rules structure. The championship structure will be the same and they'll play the same teams. This means that the average fan watching Big Monday or filling out a bracket won't see much difference.
Think of it as bloodless coup. The Big 5 want better leadership, less paralysis and a more smoothly running NCAA. And they are, essentially, going to attempt to provide it themselves. They have the money and leverage. They'll fill the new governance structure -- and no one has drilled down too far on the specifics of that. And the less influential leagues will fall in line, even if they do so reluctantly, because they really have no choice.

What will happen to Mark Emmert?
However obvious the public disapproval of Emmert is from college leaders, there's even less faith in him privately. The prevailing thought is that the NCAA isn't healthy and is not in a better position than when Emmert took over. Some have the feeling that significant conversation about new governance won't happen until he's removed. Others are pessimistic that the presidents ultimately in charge of Emmert's fate are willing to make such a drastic move.
Emmert's refusals to admit he'd do anything differently in a recent ESPN article about his leadership was his latest public relations blunder. It led to both chuckles of amusement and groans of frustration from leaders around college sports.
Emmert does have allies, especially in the Pac-12, where Oregon State president Ed Ray is one of his closest confidants. Emmert also worked with many of the Pac-12 presidents in his last job as the president of Washington.
There's a notion that if Emmert survives the next three months or so, he could embrace the inevitable change, attach himself to it and potentially overhaul his current image of being inept and ineffective. But there's a lot of skepticism, as he's buried himself too deep and failed to show leadership on seemingly obvious issues the NCAA could legitimately impact, such as concussions.
Emmert was hired as a change agent, and it's ironic that as the NCAA sits on the precipice of major change it could be done despite him or without him and not because of him.

What prompted this?
This is not about the divisive $2,000 stipend that's become a convenient anecdote to tie to the unhappiness and unrest (some of the Big 5 leagues are not in favor of the stipend). This is much bigger than that.
This is about acknowledging the different operating models in Division I instead of trying to legislate them. The ideal of there being an even playing field in college sports was antiquated long before the Longhorn Network, conference expansion and multi-billion dollar television deals. The reality being embraced by the Big 5 is that there never really has been an even playing field, so why pretend.

How did it escalate to this point?
There have been conversations behind the scenes for months, but the buzz coalesced at a series of meetings in June in Colorado Springs. Emmert spent a morning with the 31 commissioners at the Collegiate Commissioner Association meetings, and a general sense of dissatisfaction filled the room. The Big 5 met separately in Colorado Springs, and momentum began to build.
The biggest sign that change was inevitable (maybe even imminent) was when Slive made blunt comments at SEC Media Days last week, including quoting Albert Einstein: "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Slive's firing of the first shot resonated among leaders around college sports.
"It was very significant that Slive got out front," said a college official. "Mike rarely does that. He's too good a politician. Of all of the comments, that may have been the most considered and intentional."
Slive is the most calculating man in college sports. He's made consistent public comments about his displeasure with the NCAA for a few months. He's linked many of his comments to the "welfare of student athletes," a sly tactic that makes this look altruistic.
Slive drove the train out of the station, and conference officials are spending countless hours analyzing what's next. Where the train ends up, no one is sure.

tldr version: Potentially moving towards 4 super conferences, kicking the NCAA and it's rules out (so long midmajors), and forming NCAA 2.0 (or more correctly: NFL Jr.). Or just condensing the big boys together under the NCAA, so that anyone in the playoffs at the end, will come from them and not the midmajors.

mcgruber

No mention of this?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130725/college-sports-braces-for-more-change/

tldr version: Potentially moving towards 4 super conferences, kicking the NCAA and it's rules out (so long midmajors), and forming NCAA 2.0 (or more correctly: NFL Jr.). Or just condensing the big boys together under the NCAA, so that anyone in the playoffs at the end, will come from them and not the midmajors.

I can't see 4 conferences happening, too many scheduling difficulties and crying(see SEC). The new playoff system might change that when it expands so we'll see

KingGondo

Banned
When I was on the MAX leaving Portland's airport I saw a route map or something that listed Corvallis and knew it was total bullshit. I watch Grimm, I know there's large deception at play behind the "Keep Portland Weird" mantra.
It was fun for a while, but mre had to go ruin everything (as usual) by insisting that there is any other school worthy of the "OSU" acronym (even a made-up one).

What an asshole.

Draxal

No mention of this?

I've mentioned it before but right now I'm more intrigued by the Temple to ACC and Uconn going super Indie rumors.

But yeah there's going to be Div 4 in the NCAA by january. Slive,Delaney,Scott, Swofford and Bowlsby all said so.

More interesting thing is Mack Brown saying they have to purge the weaklings in the Power 5 conferences as well.

mcgruber

I've mentioned it

More interesting thing is Mack Brown saying they have to purge the weaklings in the Power 5 conferences as well.

Weaklings can just be basketball powerhouses and that wouldn't work too well if they got kicked out of just for football, but not the other sports. Maryland, duke, bc, rutgers, kansas, Iowa state(?), Washington state, miss state, Purdue, Indiana, Kentucky all just booted?

When did Mack say this? I feel like there would be more mention or articles about it, unless people believe it's unrealistic and not worth mentioning

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I've mentioned it before but right now I'm more intrigued by the Temple to ACC and Uconn going super Indie rumors.

But yeah there's going to be Div 4 in the NCAA by january. Slive,Delaney,Scott, Swofford and Bowlsby all said so.

That won't happen.

FyreWulff

As a lifelong Nebraska fan I would like them to at least make a championship game competitive at least once in the rest of my natural life

I know you guys can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom