• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

impirius

@Dave_Matter: Mizzou's first full pads practice opens with Creed's "Higher," fades into Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive." Progress
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/364361258654384130[/tweet]

We've made a huge mistake.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looks like we're wearing the 1920's Jack Trice era throwbacks for the Iowa game.

558537_561244663923810_1991743361_n.jpg

Kyle has benches too, but the segments are like 2 feet wide. You're shoulder to shoulder with very little leg room.

Yeah, Nebraska's is the same. They need to institute the airline rule of making you buy two tickets if you are over a certain weight. It'd probably reduce attendance to like half though :)

Edit - ^ I like the throwbacks

jagowar

Kyle has benches too, but the segments are like 2 feet wide. You're shoulder to shoulder with very little leg room.

That is getting addressed (at least on the west side). They are actually removing 7k seats from the existing alumni side as part of the renovation. Kinda funny too because for that second year capacity will actually be 109,000 and there is already talk about making a run at the largest crowd record.

Going to be interesting to see if manziel talks today.... all kinds of speculation.

Yeah, Nebraska's is the same. They need to institute the airline rule of making you buy two tickets if you are over a certain weight. It'd probably reduce attendance to like half though :)

Ohio States are super skinny, but fuck Nebraskas and there little chairs they let people bring, I banged my knees on the guys chair in front of me the whole time I was there.

KingGondo

Banned
@Dave_Matter: Mizzou's first full pads practice opens with Creed's "Higher," fades into Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive." Progress
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/364361258654384130[/tweet]

We've made a huge mistake.
Let Mizzou leave for the B1G, then OU, UT and OSU can join the SEC.

Looks like we're wearing the 1920's Jack Trice era throwbacks for the Iowa game.

558537_561244663923810_1991743361_n.jpg
Those are sharp.

Really hoping for some 1988 throwbacks for the KU game. It's the 25th anniversary of Barry's Heisman season, and Barry and some of his teammates will be at the game.

andycapps

UGA has benches as well and they allow people to bring in those little chairs. Season ticket holders have them provided by the school, I believe. Or maybe they rent them for the year.. Either way they're setup for them every game.

Club section has seats, which is where I spent most of my time growing up due to my grandfather having tickets.

Draxal

Looks like Rutgers has a good shot of getting Saeed Blacknall over LSU and Bama; as he's been cold played by both ( i.e. he's third on their list while they only have two spots for WRS).

He would make this class go from a decent class to a good/great class.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Looks like Rutgers has a good shot of getting Saeed Blacknall over LSU and Bama; as he's been cold played by both ( i.e. he's third on their list while they only have two spots for WRS).

Seems like he had a visit to Alabama on the 17th, that made him rethink LSU. Not sure if that's "Cold Played"

But still, Alabama's got a obscene amount of depth at WR right now, with only 2 SR's who'll be gone (and 2 JR's who don't have enough recognition to leave early). So, if he wants playing time, he either has to be outstanding, or go somewhere else.

Draxal

Seems like he had a visit to Alabama on the 17th, that made him rethink LSU. Not sure if that's "Cold Played"

But still, Alabama's got a obscene amount of depth at WR right now, with only 2 SR's who'll be gone (and 2 JR's who don't have enough recognition to leave early). So, if he wants playing time, he either has to be outstanding, or go somewhere else.

In Bama's case, it is not really a cold play but he wasn't a priority player either as he was third on their list; he's a huge get for Rutgers if they get him.

I wish Johnny Football had committed an infraction that I could actually admonish him for, rather than one of the stupid NCAA rules against profiting from your own image.

KingGondo

Banned
I wish Johnny Football had committed an infraction that I could actually admonish him for, rather than one of the stupid NCAA rules against profiting from your own image.
I agree that it's stupid for him to get in trouble for that...

But it's JFF and I think he's a tool, so hahahahahaha.

Talon

The quality of the rule is totally irrelevant.

You're the face of your school and the team. You need to follow the rules set out for you instead of being a jackass and complete distraction from your peers.

I have the same response to the "Oh he's just 20, didn't you drink then?" bullshit.

I'm not a Heisman winning star quarterback. You have an even greater personal responsibility to make good decisions and not be a fuckup.

KingGondo

Banned
The one funny aspect of it is that his family is loaded. He's not some latchkey kid with a poor single mom.
Exactly. I think he should be able to profit from his image, but it's moronic of him to try and profit when 1) an entire program and university is depending upon his eligibility, 2) he's gonna make lots of money in a few months in the draft and via endorsements, and 3) his family is already rich.

You're the face of your school and the team. You need to follow the rules set out for you instead of being a jackass and complete distraction from your peers.

I have the same response to the "Oh he's just 20, didn't you drink then?" bullshit.

I'm not a Heisman winning star quarterback. You have an even greater personal responsibility to make good decisions and not be a fuckup.
This. It shouldn't be illegal, but the fact that he did it with all of the above factors in play means he has terrible judgment. He knew what the consequences would be if he got caught.

andycapps

According to Mark Richt, "I don't know how in the world we got in the conversation of the Notre Dame schedule. But I'm all for playing them."

Sumlin seems really annoyed with this latest incident involving Johnny. Very annoyed at all the mainstream media in there from AP asking questions. Not saying much of anything other than that he found out yesterday when everyone else did, he's still practicing as are backups (claims same as normal), doesn't know of any NCAA investigation (supposedly).

ag-my001

The biggest thing that annoys me is seeing the scroll go 1) Tiger 2) A-Rod 3) Manziel. Call me a homer, but that's not the company I want my QB keeping.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The biggest thing that annoys me is seeing the scroll go 1) Tiger 2) A-Rod 3) Manziel. Call me a homer, but that's not the company I want my QB keeping.
At least Tiger was in the news for positive reasons...

andycapps

I don't think Sumlin appreciates it very much right now either. They were undoubtedly enjoying the attention last year, but it's been negative story after negative story regarding him for a couple months now. He's a lightning rod from the program and this is going to affect team chemistry the longer it goes on.

mcgruber

If by good shot, you mean no shot, then yeah.

The Tide has made up a lot of ground on him since March, when he listed a top three of LSU, Ohio State and Florida State. Along with the Tide, Notre Dame now rounds out his top five.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/alabama_visit_has_4-star_wr_sa.html

Rivals has rutgers listed as no interest for him

andycapps

OT but can I say how much Time Warner sucks? Switching to Uverse and I called today to cancel my service. They didn't even try to talk me out of going to Uverse, they just asked why I was leaving, told them and how I was on their chat with a guy a couple weeks ago that tried to match Uverse price, but it was only 20 meg internet and basic cable with no HD, no channels I want, and no DVR. What a pathetic excuse for a company.

mcgruber said:
If by good shot, you mean no shot, then yeah.

The Tide has made up a lot of ground on him since March, when he listed a top three of LSU, Ohio State and Florida State. Along with the Tide, Notre Dame now rounds out his top five.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...tar_wr_sa.html

Rivals has rutgers listed as no interest for him

It's Rutgers, let him think they have a chance.

OT but can I say how much Time Warner sucks? Switching to Uverse and I called today to cancel my service. They didn't even try to talk me out of going to Uverse, they just asked why I was leaving, told them and how I was on their chat with a guy a couple weeks ago that tried to match Uverse price, but it was only 20 meg internet and basic cable with no HD, no channels I want, and no DVR. What a pathetic excuse for a company.

It's Rutgers, let him think they have a chance.

Insight used to be great, parents had insight for 15 years, then time warner bought them out and they went to shit. I have been very very happy with Uverse since I got it over a year ago, and just convinced my parents to switch last month.

Lonestar

:lol, Judge just extended Jeremy Hill's probation, even though he assaulted someone while on probation.

Jim Kleinpeter ?@JimKleinpeter 1m
#LSU running back Jeremy Hill given 2 more years of probation by Judge Bonnie Jackson plus 40 hours of comm. service @ Bishop Ott center

Matthew Harris ?@MHarrisAdvocate 9s
Jackson: "There are a lot people in the community that think you should go to jail. ... I'd like to know your take?" #LSU

Matthew Harris ?@MHarrisAdvocate now Jackson to Hill: As you watch the video of assault, what do you see? #LSU

quote:
Matthew Harris ?@MHarrisAdvocate now Hill: I feel terrible about what I did, and I lost my composure. #LSU

Matthew Harris ?@MHarrisAdvocate 7s
Jackson: A lot of people would have seen arrogance. To see you laughing about sucker pinching that young man struck people as entitlement.

Michael Shingleton ?@MikeShingleton 1m
Judge Jackson questioning Hill about sucker punch video. Said Hill seemed arrogant. Hill, "I feel so terrible for what I did." @WBRZ

Matthew Harris ?@MHarrisAdvocate now
Jackson: Judge Irwin did a good job addressing what happened in battery case. ... Your career doesn't matter in overall scheme.

Michael Shingleton ?@MikeShingleton 14s
Judge Jackson to Jeremy Hill, "your career doesn't matter to me one way or another." references Aaron Hernandez. @WBRZ

Matthew Harris ?@MHarrisAdvocate 1m
Jackson: Have you truly recognized how ugly that behavior was, how you disgraced your family and put coaches in tough spot.

Matthew Harris ?@MHarrisAdvocate 2m
Hill: I've learned to put myself I better situation and around better people since the curfew was imposed. #LSU

Same state that gives 2 year prison sentences for teabagging, refuses to put a star athlete in jail for sex with a minor, or battery.

mcgruber

:lol, Judge just extended Jeremy Hill's probation, even though he assaulted someone while on probation.

Same state that gives 2 year prison sentences for teabagging, refuses to put a star athlete in jail for sex with a minor, or battery.

It's all on miles to suspend him now, or the media circus won't let this go

I'm not arguing that he's not a distraction and a jackass, nor will I argue that he didn't violate any rules if it turns out he did.

My point is that the rules he allegedly broke are stupid, unjust rules, so I'm not going to admonish him for violating said stupid, unjust rules.

That's just me, as a non-Aggie. If I were an Aggie, I would most certainly be pissed at him, just like I was pissed at the OSU players who traded rings for tattoos.

Lonestar

Hey, Alabama got a commitment of a potential #1 QB prospect.

Of 2015. Ricky Town out of California.

Pimpwerx

I got no beef with JFF, but if other athletes have been suspended for taking some free shoes or shirts, then he should get one for taking a large sum of money. It sucks, but fair is fair. Anyway, it all has to be proven first. PEACE.

jagowar

:jnc

By the way, have you all met Uncle Nate, Manziel's "manager"? No? Here he is:

FkumzEV.jpg

To me this is the real problem manziel has.... some more info here about this "manager". Evidently he is more of a party buddy than manager and the fact that his parent's gave their blessing to this makes it even worse. http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/05/this-is-johnny-manziels-manager-uncle-nate/

Even if they can trace the money I bet he will take the hit and say manziel had no knowledge and thought he was doing it for charity or something. Hopefully either way they get rid of this guy and get him a real manager.

Amazing. There will be a 30 for 30 made about all this shit in a few years.

His manager is wearing a Dirk Nowitzki wife beat? Hmmm....I'm starting to believe Manziel is part of a conspiracy put into action by Mark Cuban to troll the NCAA and college football by exposing its flaws. After winning the Heisman, phase 1 was completed. Phase 2 was to go buck-wild and violate every NCAA rule in place in hopes of being reprimanded and suspended the rest of the year. Then one of two things would happen, one of which would eventually disband the NCAA to make room for Mark Cuban's superior alternative collegiate sports organization. Manziel is rewarded by being offered the CEO position.

Enfinit

Watching Johnny's downfall is more entertaining than Manti's. Great television.

Meanwhile, ESPNU's Top 25 Games of 2012 is on. #5 Stanford vs. Oregon. Good stuff if you're itching for some football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom