• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

impirius

Hard to blame him for cutting off a Domer who wanted to bitch seven months later about two missed calls that cost Notre Dame the game. :p
They were so game-changingly bad that the biggest Bama homer on the air went into hiding for months just to avoid talking about them.

andycapps

Hard to blame him for cutting off a Domer who wanted to bitch seven months later about two missed calls that cost Notre Dame the game. :p
I'm not a Finebaum fan but anybody that is seriously disputing a couple calls in a game where the winner was never in question has no grip on reality. Aka a Domer.

bachikarn

Gators just got one of the top WRs in the 2014 class. Plucked him out of South Florida, which is always tough. We're going to have some serious WR and QB talent in the coming years. Finally...

Talon

Well, he is as dumb as we thought.

What a moron. All he had to do is stay straight and narrow and he could fool some NFL team into spending a first rounder on him.

andycapps

ESPN is slipping. They forgot to include vague references to payments that weren't actually witnessed by "sources" for these two new signing sessions.

Please let the NCAA drag it's feet so I can watch the entire season in peace.

Next thing you'll be telling me that JFF was scared straight when he saw the horrific punishment that Oregon received.

BTN dudes talking Wolverines on twitter:

If there is a more impressive true freshman DE in the nation than Taco Charlton, I want to see him]. Can't wait to see him in a year.— Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart) August 10, 2013

This is really starting to look like a #Michigan football team - they are big, they're physical and they can really run.— Dave Revsine (@BTNDaveRevsine) August 10, 2013

#Michigan true freshman Derrick Green has a body like Ironhead Heyward. He just conditioned today. pic.twitter.com/HODE18McBj— Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart) August 10, 2013

At #Michigan practice, WR Amara Darboh looked good. Al Borges marvels about how strong his hands are. He was running 1st team today.— Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart) August 10, 2013

BTN Camp Tour 2013 #Wolverines Defensive team can really run. I would say the validity of recruiting rankings was alive and well in AA today— Gerry DiNardo (@gerrydinardo) August 10, 2013

Devin Gardner looked great - in total command of the offense. He needs to stay healthy more than any player in B1G - Morris struggled a bit— Dave Revsine (@BTNDaveRevsine) August 10, 2013

I came away impressed with #Michigan. But most of best talent is young, so the Wolverines may be a year away. This is a well-coached team.— Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart) August 10, 2013

Funchess is fantastic - serious match-up issue. They will use him well @MBanksVid @BTNDaveRevsine how did the TEs (Funchess) look?

And I don't know about you guys, but I'm watching this.

Be well.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
BTN dudes talking Wolverines on twitter:

And I don't know about you guys, but I'm watching this.

Be well.

Did a quick look over Michigan's recruiting class and they must have been a finalist for the all name team with commits like Taco Charlton, Jake Butt, Henry Poggi, and Csont'e York, among others.

Bonus points for Butt being a tight end. The jokes are so obvious I don't think they even qualify as jokes.

Glad to see Taco is doing well, went to my high school, now hopefully we can be known for 3 players! Him, Zach boren, and this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekVyXL_qwg8

Speaking of Ohio highschools, will any coach recruit out of Steubenville? They used to be known for their talent, but if I was a coach I wouldn't touch that highschool after what happened. The school and community was dragged through the mud and rightfully so, but at the same time, it does punish the innocent players and families who did nothing wrong. Hopefully those prospects are allowed to transfer to a nearby highschool if they so choose.

Talon

Only competition Florida has is FSU and arguably Miami. South Florida is really a 2.5 man race. I don't think UCF, USF, FAU, or FIU are going to steal away any recruits anytime soon.
Florida has enough recruits for everyone. Georgia and Bama always recruit that state well.

andycapps

Florida has enough recruits for everyone. Georgia and Bama always recruit that state well.

South Florida is pretty hard to recruit.. UGA regularly gets commits from Orlando, Tallahassee, and even Tampa area. But Miami is harder. They have one committed for next year from Homestead, FL and one from Plantation, FL. Both are pretty close to Miami.

Garryk

Arkansas was able to swoop in with the new staff and snap up two big recruits (Alex Collins and Denver Kirkland) from South Florida, and they've got some interest for this year's class as well. It helps when you have Randy Shannon on your staff.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Probably to make up for having their DE, Dee Ford, tear his MCL.

Though really, it's just getting the Barners to yell out Lawson randomly (i.e. Carl Lawson).

Looked at a recruiting site (247) for the 1st time in months, and of course Alabama is #1.

Surprised to see that Tennessee is 2nd (though already at 24 commits, while other teams have room to grow).

Draxal

Though really, it's just getting the Barners to yell out Lawson randomly (i.e. Carl Lawson).

Looked at a recruiting site (247) for the 1st time in months, and of course Alabama is #1.

Surprised to see that Tennessee is 2nd (though already at 24 commits, while other teams have room to grow).

You gaiz just flipped a lineman from Iowa; which pretty much destroyed their class. Poor Kirk Ferentz.

BTW how is Anthony Averret(sp) doing (the kid from Woodbury, NJ). I was kinda shocked that he pulled a Bama offer.

andycapps

Could be, from that article it sounds like he doesn't have the mental capacity to handle the stress of the position. Which is fine, most people don't. Also sounds like he got beat out for QB spot and he thought he had a better shot at playing at safety.

Yeah 247 shows that, Rivals has Tennessee at #1? The hell?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You gaiz just flipped a lineman from Iowa; which pretty much destroyed their class. Poor Kirk Ferentz.

BTW how is Anthony Averret(sp) doing (the kid from Woodbury, NJ). I was kinda shocked that he pulled a Bama offer.

Haven't heard any mention. At least nothing good, but he's a DB, and DB's never do good at the beginning under Saban. But he'll get taught the Saban way, and will eventually have a chance to succeed. I assume he'll redshirt, but Saban has no quarrels over putting anyone on special teams, redshirts be damned.

Pretend Defensive Depth Chart for 3 years, no assumptions of redshirts going forward.

As of now, he's minimum 5th on the Safety Depth chart, unless he can beat out players that have been at school for a few years already. He won't surpass HaHa, Landon Collins, or Vinny Sunseri (well, maybe he can pass Vinny ;P ). Haven't seen much out of Nick Perry or Jarrick Williams, and this is Nick's last year. Only fellow new Safety is a 28 year old baseball player (Jai Miller, who looks like he might be pretty good)

diehard

Fleer
BYU got 2 nice recruits over the weekend.

It's not a big deal to most but for us to a get a non-mormon african american 4 star WR recruit from California is huge. Turned down schools like Cal and Oregon too.

Made Wes Welker look pretty foolish too , thats always good.

Quake1028

Could be, from that article it sounds like he doesn't have the mental capacity to handle the stress of the position. Which is fine, most people don't. Also sounds like he got beat out for QB spot and he thought he had a better shot at playing at safety.

Yeah 247 shows that, Rivals has Tennessee at #1? The hell?

Miami 4/5 on those lists. Nice.

ESPN has F$U, Bama, Tennessee and Miami as their top 4.

KingGondo

Banned

It's not a big deal to most but for us to a get a non-mormon african american 4 star WR recruit from California is huge. Turned down schools like Cal and Oregon too.
I'm not trying to start something, but why would a guy like that who isn't Mormon choose BYU? Is he religious otherwise?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Made Wes Welker look pretty foolish too , thats always good.

I'm really curious what happened to him and Oregon. Not long ago he gushed about them in an article where he talked about all the schools recruiting him, said they were his dream school and stuff like that. Seemed a lot more into the Ducks than the other schools he mentioned. Fast forward and he cancelled his Oregon visit right after he went on a visit to Tech, then committed to BYU a day or two later.

Nick Kurtz said:
Kansas: "Kansas actually really shocked me. I don't know if you have been there or not but their facilities are top-notch. They probably compete with some of the top schools."

BYU: "I loved it as well too. I loved all the staff. I loved all the people around there. I liked the scenery as well and Utah as a State. I had a great time there."

Oregon: "Oregon was always my dream school. I used to wear an Oregon Duck shirt underneath my gear. I used to tell people 'one day they are going to talk to me.' When I got a message on Facebook from them I just couldn't believe it. It was like all that hard work finally paid off. I am really excited about it. I can't believe I am really going to go visit them.

He went from that to cancelling a visit and committing somewhere else in 3 weeks.

Westonian

I'm not trying to start something, but why would a guy like that who isn't Mormon choose BYU? Is he religious otherwise?

Multiple wives.

I would guess it's easier to get noticed if you are the standout receiver than be one of many at a school like Oregon. Big fish in the little pond and whatnot.

Is it any coincidence our troubled wide receivers transfer to Arizona? A few years ago it was Dan Buckner, and now Caleb Jones is transferring to Arizona. For those that don't remember, Caleb Jones was the kid who broke the jaw of a UT tennis player after he saw him at a club with a girl he also liked.

Texas wins the merchandise national championship for the eighth straight year.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...as-longhorns-again-top-merchandise-sales-list

Though it's kinda like winning the old Bowl Alliance, the power houses in the Big 10 and Pac 12 don't pay in it.

Over the past few years we've been the Dallas Cowboys of college football. We've had bad to mediocre results on the field, and our leadership has been questionable, but merchandise sales are still the highest in its class.

Chris R

Over the past few years we've been the Dallas Cowboys of college football. We've had bad to mediocre results on the field, and our leadership has been questionable, but merchandise sales are still the highest in its class.

I bought a Texas hat when I was in Texas last November. I needed something to keep the sun out of my eyes :(

AntoneM

Is it any coincidence our troubled wide receivers transfer to Arizona? A few years ago it was Dan Buckner, and now Caleb Jones is transferring to Arizona. For those that don't remember, Caleb Jones was the kid who broke the jaw of a UT tennis player after he saw him at a club with a girl he also liked.

Didn't Connor Brewer go to AZ from UT as well?

bachikarn

Not really. You guys should always get 1st picking from FL

Eh, I still think Miami can be harder to recruit. There is always going to be a pressure on the kids there to go to Miami and try and revive the program. It's obviously a lot easier now that Miami has been sucking.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
1JKovKR.jpg

A2qX6eL.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Eh, I still think Miami can be harder to recruit. There is always going to be a pressure on the kids there to go to Miami and try and revive the program. It's obviously a lot easier now that Miami has been sucking.

I remember that Frank Gore was committed to Ole Miss up until the night before Signing Day. I read a long article with quotes from he and his mom about how he was excited to start somewhere fresh and far away from Miami. Yeah.

Around themsame time, Deangelo Williams chose Memphis over Ole Miss because his preacher picked Memphis out of a hat that also had OM and Arkansas pieces of paper in it. Either of them would've played with Eli in the early aughts.

mre said:
Kyle Field is such a fucking ugly stadium, at least from the outside.

It looks weirdly massive from a distance. I don't know if it's just the way it sits, but it looks huge.

I'm not sure why I'm fixating on the stadium on that cover.

andycapps

Kyle Field is such a fucking ugly stadium, at least from the outside.

It looks weirdly massive from a distance. I don't know if it's just the way it sits, but it looks huge.

I'm not sure why I'm fixating on the stadium on that cover.

It does look weird now that you mention it. It has 3 sections that don't seem to be tied together. It's awkward. And then one end zone is just kind of.. there. There's nothing behind it. They're definitely going to have to get on their expansion game now that they s'posed to be SEC.

VpD25m6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom