• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjasper

Yeah 247 shows that, Rivals has Tennessee at #1? The hell?

Butch has actually done a pretty good job recruiting. It really isn't uncommon for a new coach come in and do well recruiting at a historically good program his first year especially if he has had some success in the past. Its still way to early to care about recruiting rankings though, we will fall as more teams get players/players jump ship and finish probably in the 8-10 range.

FyreWulff

Kyle Field looks like they had a municipial-style football field then were tasked with stadium-izing it as cheaply as possible

A little second deck here, a vestibule there, goodenough.jpg

Nebraska's new eastern deck looks obviously bolted on too

516b90e810c3e.preview-620.jpg

andycapps

I just noticed in that picture of Penn State's place that there are silos and a farm within walking distance of the stadium. What the hell.

I think we can all agree that most schools' stadiums look better with people in them. When they're empty you can see where all the renovations took place over the years. Sanford Stadium (UGA) looks really nice to me, and I don't notice any of the obvious renovations that some have above.

I still can't get over Penn State's steel girders everywhere. Who thought that looked acceptable. At least cover it up with some kind of facade.

Screen_shot_2013-06-11_at_8.25.26_PM.png

the only thing I wished we had done differently is the location of the indoor practice field, especially now that the school owns nearly 4 blocks around the stadium and could now get the railroad tracks relocated

Beaver Stadium is indeed a hideous monstrosity. By far the ugliest college stadium in the country, I'd say.

Which is sad, because based on all of the pictures I've seen of it, it used to be a rather picturesque stadium before it got Frankenstein'd.

beav1.jpg

beaver%20stadium_99.jpg

Obviously they had to expand it (they clearly already started doing so in that second photo), but I don't think they had to make it so fucking hideous and asymmetrical.

jagowar

Kyle Field looks like they had a municipial-style football field then were tasked with stadium-izing it as cheaply as possible

That is exactly how it happened.... the student/town population has grown so much in the past 30 yrs that adding as much capacity as possible was the primary concern.

I think next monday the renovation officially starts.... they are going to start tearing down some of the buildings around the stadium to make space for what is going to be built. For 450 million it better be pretty damn nice (looks like it will but you never know until its done). http://kylefield.com/

I'm still laughing over the fact that people thought the sanctions that Penn State received were "worse than the death penalty."

I should go necro that thread at some point.

I think we can all agree that most schools' stadiums look better with people in them. When they're empty you can see where all the renovations took place over the years. Sanford Stadium (UGA) looks really nice to me, and I don't notice any of the obvious renovations that some have above.

I'd say that Michigan Stadium is one exception to this. It's far more impressive (and far more intimidating, actually) when it's empty.

Once Michigan's lame fans fill up the place, it's not remotely attractive or imposing.

andycapps

I'd say that Michigan Stadium is one exception to this. It's far more impressive (and far more intimidating, actually) when it's empty.

Once Michigan's lame fans fill up the place, it's not remotely attractive or imposing.

Yeah Michigan does have a nice stadium.

Former Bama OL that was medically disqualified for having a "chronic medical condition" has transferred to Jacksonville State and is eligible to play immediately. Word is still out on if the translation of chronic medical condition translates to "not good enough to play for Saban" but I'm holding my breath.

Offensive lineman Caleb Gulledge, who was medically disqualified from the University of Alabama, has joined the Jacksonville State football program where he is eligible to play this season.

A JSU spokesperson confirmed to AL.com that Gulledge reported to camp today. Earlier this month, Alabama head coach Nick Saban said he was medically disqualified from spring practice because of a "chronic medical issue."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Former Bama OL that was medically disqualified for having a "chronic medical condition" has transferred to Jacksonville State and is eligible to play immediately. Word is still out on if the translation of chronic medical condition translates to "not good enough to play for Saban" but I'm holding my breath.

From someone who knows him:

He herniated his L4 and L5 in his lower back

and his quote:

"Ok everyone I have been thru alot over the past couple months. I went to my dream school the university of alabama to play football last year and won a national championship and had a fantastic year. I met lifelong friends and made lifetime memories and have absolutely no regrets about it. for some reason God has allowed allowed some things to happen in my life. I hurt my back in which i was told could possibly severly injure me for the rest of my life and He put his healing hand on me and took my pain away and has guided me to a new home to attend college and I get a second chance to play football and I just wanted to share this to first let everyone kno wats goin on and second to show y'all how powerful God is and I kno He has a plan for me!!"

jjasper

Schools have different standings on these things. UT had a basketball player with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy that had to be resuscitated during a workout out. School won't let him play after he got a defibrillator put in but he transferred and was cleared to play by New Mexico I think.

Lonestar

Had a player (Ezekial Knight) who they found out how a heart defect, and they disqualified him. So did 2 or 3 other schools he tried to sign on to continue playing football. He eventually found one that would let him.

Now let's not get carried away.

It's big hole, and that's pretty much it. When it's empty, one is awed by its size (though not its completely bland architectural design). Then it fills up with fans who sit on their asses quietly for four quarters.

And from what I've been told, it still struggles to keep in what little sound Michigan fans make, even with the recent renovations that were supposed to remedy that particular problem.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Also, Gulledge is eligible to play at Jack State, but has not yet been cleared medically to play. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that he is cleared to play there. Seems like lower division schools have lower standards for their players' health.

Zeke Knight went to Stillman to play after Bama MDQ'd him.

I fully expect that some school, somewhere will let Darius Paige play for them.

I don't understand. So he had herniated disks in his back, but those went away and now he found a school that will take him?
God and our doctors disagree, and our doctors won round one.

andycapps

Also, Gulledge is eligible to play at Jack State, but has not yet been cleared medically to play. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that he is cleared to play there. Seems like lower division schools have lower standards for their players' health.

Zeke Knight went to Stillman to play after Bama MDQ'd him.

I fully expect that some school, somewhere will let Darius Paige play for them.

Jarvis Jones was medically disqualified by USC and then he went through a bunch of tests with doctors who cleared him, and he cleared UGA's exams. And obviously he passed the Steelers' exams. But yeah, lower division schools seem to have lesser medical standards for their athletes.

Now let's not get carried away.

It's big hole, and that's pretty much it. When it's empty, one is awed by its size (though not its completely bland architectural design). Then it fills up with fans who sit on their asses quietly for four quarters.

And from what I've been told, it still struggles to keep in what little sound Michigan fans make, even with the recent renovations that were supposed to remedy that particular problem.

Michigan stadium is impressive from aerial shots, but in person it is not at all.

For those that dont know, when you walk into Michigan stadium theres only 15 rows or so to go up, the rest of the rows go down. So its not very tall from the outside, like Bert said, its a big ass hole.

For those that dont know, when you walk into Michigan stadium theres only 15 rows or so to go up, the rest of the rows go down. So its not very tall from the outside, like Bert said, its a big ass hole.
The nice thing about this is that you get to see the sad faces of Michigan fans as they walk up the steps to exit the stadium during the fourth quarter.

Meier

Probably mentioned before but apparently there are Yankee Candles for universities now. Most any team that has red or an off-shoot of it as their primary color has Black Cherry as its scent. I wouldn't mind buying one but they cost 27 fucking 99. WTF? That size candle used to be like $15 max!

1292517.jpg

NCAA Football video games are dying a slow and steady death. Time to bring back the College Hoops franchise.

So they can have another bunch of litigation to wade through?

mre is right, this is all about the NCAA and the schools hunkering down until the lawsuits are over.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke starts its stadium renovation this year after the final home game. It will be interesting to see how it comes along. Tearing up the trackin and lowering the field will be glorious. Also getting rid of that shitty press box that the University technically doesn't own will be great too.

Duke starts its stadium renovation this year after the final home game. It will be interesting to see how it comes along. Tearing up the trackin and lowering the field will be glorious. Also getting rid of that shitty press box that the University technically doesn't own will be great too.

Are you sure they aren't just turning it into a new basketball arena?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Are you sure they aren't just turning it into a new basketball arena?

elllooooohhhhheeelllllllll.

Actually CIS is getting a renovation to but its only the front entrance area and the upper wing attached to the basketball museum. Not adding any seats. I'm not sure that they'll ever need to redo CIS I guess. Who knows how good the program will be when K retires.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Michigan stadium is impressive from aerial shots, but in person it is not at all.

Similar to that, about half of Tech's stadium used to be below ground level. The recent improvements, additions, etc. have made it look much better from the outside but it used to look pretty tiny until you actually went inside. Still doesn't look all that big from outside.

While we're posting stadium pictures...

:D
I may go to the Boise State game there in a few weeks. Will be in town for PAX anyway. Sucks that I just heard ASJ may be out for that game.

cdyhybrid

Similar to that, about half of Tech's stadium used to be below ground level. The recent improvements, additions, etc. have made it look much better from the outside but it used to look pretty tiny until you actually went inside. Still doesn't look all that big from outside.

I may go to the Boise State game there in a few weeks. Will be in town for PAX anyway. Sucks that I just heard ASJ may be out for that game.

Do you have tickets already? They're holding all the remaining seats to entice people to buy season tickets. They said they'll release them just before the game if they can't sell them all, but they're sure to be expensive.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have tickets already? They're holding all the remaining seats to entice people to buy season tickets. They said they'll release them just before the game if they can't sell them all, but they're sure to be expensive.

Not yet, it's just something I've been generally pondering.

Subitai

So what's the consensus in here for the best looking stadium then?
Obviously they had to expand it (they clearly already started doing so in that second photo), but I don't think they had to make it so fucking hideous and asymmetrical.
Wait, it was okay before it became asymmetrical?

How could they have made it more asymmetrical than the Horseshoe?

Don't throw your own stadium under the bus with an incomplete argument. Beaver stadium is hideous, but not for the endzone stands not matching.

Lonestar

another VT player hurt. A running back has managed to sprain his ankles. That's right, plural. JC Coleman

So what's the consensus in here for the best looking stadium then?

Wait, it was okay before it became asymmetrical?

How could they have made it more asymmetrical than the Horseshoe?

Don't throw your own stadium under the bus with an incomplete argument. Beaver stadium is hideous, but not for the endzone stands not matching.

lolwut?

Take away the press box, and Ohio Stadium is almost perfectly symmetrical, bilaterally.

qxq333l.jpg

Symmetry has long been a desirable trait in architecture, and Beaver Stadium's complete lack of it is one of many reasons it's a horrifically ugly stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom