• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

impirius

South Carolina's longtime DL coach, Brad Lawing, just left to take the same job at Florida. Reports are that SC didn't try to match Florida's offer and that Lawing made the move for "undisclosed personal reasons". Just... kind of a strange situation.

So: Who wants to coach Clowney for a season?

Interesting rumors. I'd be ok with all that. Not really going to believe anything until something happens, though.

Also, why does it always seem to be WVU fan sites doing the expansion rumors. I live in Morgantown, somebody tell me something interesting.
Oh, nevermind. Appears to be the Dude again. Meh.

A part of me wants to see the ACC burn to the ground, but I can't let that just have me buying what this guy is saying. Does he really have sources? Or is it just conference realignment fan fiction at its finest?

A part of me wants to see the ACC burn to the ground, but I can't let that just have me buying what this guy is saying. Does he really have sources? Or is it just conference realignment fan fiction at its finest?

I think most people expect SOMETHING to happen. Personally, 14 schools just seems odd and something that would be temporary, so I totally expect the B1G and SEC to add 2 more. Dude is probably taking vague rumors that are out there and making up details (so yes, fan fiction). Like I said earlier, I figure nothing will happen until the UMd lawsuit is over.

Let's discuss Baylor's new helmet. Your move, Oregon

BA_rn_YCYAAyjFz.jpg

SBNation

jagowar

I think most people expect SOMETHING to happen. Personally, 14 schools just seems odd and something that would be temporary, so I totally expect the B1G and SEC to add 2 more. Dude is probably taking vague rumors that are out there and making up details (so yes, fan fiction). Like I said earlier, I figure nothing will happen until the UMd lawsuit is over.

That would be my guess as well.... Realignment is inevitable until we get to super conferences.... just too much money to ignore. Always made the most sense that you have 4 with the sec, big10 and pac12 all very strong and either the big12 or acc gets poached. The current wind is the acc is the one that gets poached but this time last year it was the big12 that was certain to get blown up..... the one thing you can be sure of is things can change quickly.

That said all the rumors make sense. The big10 gets good academic schools with decent athletic programs in uva and gt/unc. If the sec is offering unc and duke as a package I would think they are likely to get both and while neither is a football school it would make basketball as good as anybody in the country it would bring basketball up to par with football/baseball which is important with the sec network looming. And the big12 fills out their ranks with good schools in east coast states to increase their footprint.

tokkun

Personally, 14 schools just seems odd and something that would be temporary, so I totally expect the B1G and SEC to add 2 more.

B1G had 11 members for a span of 20 years.

It seems like 16-team conferences could get pretty unwieldy in terms of scheduling. Say you keep 2 divisions. Even if you move to 9 conference games and have no protected crossovers, you're only going to play some of the teams in your conference once every 4 years. At that point it barely feels like you're in the same conference.

Or you go to 4 divisions, and then you have issues with the conference championship, either having to go to rankings-based (which will piss people off) or a semifinal (which will inevitably lead to more rematches, be more susceptible to balance problems, and likely be detrimental to bowl placements).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oh yes, one of the oddities of the world, the Senior Bowl measurables/shirtless in front of reporters for weigh in.

DJ Fluker, a bit shorter than we all thought, a shade under 6'5", but 355 lbs sounds about right.

andycapps

Clemson is trying to move their game with UGA to a Monday. Yeah right, we're not ACC or Vandy. Especially not with USCe being 5 days later.

Limedust

My favorite are the "bubble butt" comments.

Player - Limedust
College - University of Alabama
Height - 6'1"
Weight - 150 lbs soaking wet
Arm - Has two of them.
Hand - Huge, because that's related to dick size, right?
W-Span - Caw-caw, motherfucker.
Notes - Needs to eat a god-damned sandwich.

I, for one, think this is a fantastic idea.
I'm totally down for that idea! Move it to the Thursday night game for all I care.

...not that we have UGA on that Sat or anything.

Why? Because of Clemson?

FSU and Clemson. Ship them off to the Big 12.

Clemson is trying to move their game with UGA to a Monday. Yeah right, we're not ACC or Vandy. Especially not with USCe being 5 days later.

They view themselves as elite so of course they are going to try to flex their muscle against the little guys.

impirius

It looks like the Gamecocks poached UNC's DL coach, Deke Adams. That was quick. I know he's a good recruiter, at least. What did UNC-GAF think of him?

Jhriad

B1G had 11 members for a span of 20 years.

It seems like 16-team conferences could get pretty unwieldy in terms of scheduling. Say you keep 2 divisions. Even if you move to 9 conference games and have no protected crossovers, you're only going to play some of the teams in your conference once every 4 years. At that point it barely feels like you're in the same conference.

Or you go to 4 divisions, and then you have issues with the conference championship, either having to go to rankings-based (which will piss people off) or a semifinal (which will inevitably lead to more rematches, be more susceptible to balance problems, and likely be detrimental to bowl placements).

4 pods. A, B, C, & D. A + B play each other as well as C & D. Each pod also plays one team from the two pods they don't play in full. Then you could say each 'division' or half that plays each other in full puts the team with the best conference record into the conference title game. In the above example if Nebraska was the leader of pod A with an 8-1 conference record and Michigan was the leader of pod B with a record of 7-2, Nebraska would be the A+B representative in the conference title game. At a regular interval (one year, two, whatever) the pods shift so it would then the next setup would be A/C & B/D playing each other in full. There are probably other ways it could be done without needing to resort to rankings or a semifinal as well.

tokkun

4 pods. A, B, C, & D. A + B play each other as well as C & D. Each pod also plays one team from the two pods they don't play in full. Then you could say each 'division' or half that plays each other in full puts the team with the best conference record into the conference title game. In the above example if Nebraska was the leader of pod A with an 8-1 conference record and Michigan was the leader of pod B with a record of 7-2, Nebraska would be the A+B representative in the conference title game. At a regular interval (one year, two, whatever) the pods shift so it would then the next setup would be A/C & B/D playing each other in full. There are probably other ways it could be done without needing to resort to rankings or a semifinal as well.

Aside from the complexity, it seems like the sticking point with that arrangement would be preserving both rivalry games and competitive balance. If you want to play every year, you would have to be in the same pod. That likely leads to a pod that contains Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State (+1 more). You'd probably also get another pod that contains all of the east coast schools - Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia?, Georgia Tech?.

So Clint Hurtt (UL recruiter) will most likely have a show cause for a few years...

the twitter reaction has been funny, lots of UK fans crying foul (the ironing)

It's not just any Monday. It would be on Labor Day. Either way, the only thing I've even seen mentioned of it was some USA Today writer tweeting that Dabo said it may end up on Monday. Not sure how that led you to the conclusion that we're "trying" to move it.

cdyhybrid

It's not just any Monday. It would be on Labor Day. Either way, the only thing I've even seen mentioned of it was some USA Today writer tweeting that Dabo said it may end up on Monday. Not sure how that led you to the conclusion that we're "trying" to move it.

I think ultimately it'll be up to TV. If the network wants to pay up to have the game on a Monday, they'll probably do it.

I think ultimately it'll be up to TV. If the network wants to pay up to have the game on a Monday, they'll probably do it.

I think the NFL starts the week after Labor Day so that's the only week where a Sunday/Monday night game makes sense. I know we had a few Sunday night games in week 1 this past season, so a Monday night game seems reasonable for a network to pick up.

edit: actually, we had a week 1 match up on Monday this past season as well. It was VT vs. GT

andycapps

They view themselves as elite so of course they are going to try to flex their muscle against the little guys.

Teehee

Dabo mentioning that the game may end up on a Monday is me assuming that it's them wanting it on Monday since UGA's athletic director said he hadn't heard anything from Clemson about it, and they seemingly have no interest in it. I know Richt wouldn't want the game to be on a Monday. Give that to another team that actually needs a game on a holiday to get ratings, we don't.

This sounds awful.

It's time to stop. Delany got his DC and NYC teams (sort of). UVA and UNC are phenomenal schools, and UNC would obviously be an unbelievable addition for basketball, but you're only going to dilute the football product further by adding them.

I have no desire for a BEAST-style dismantling of the ACC. They've already cheapened themselves enough with that stupid arrangement with Notre Dame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom