• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

We played a Thursday night game 2 years ago. Youre not out of the woods yet!

It was an opening day game right? They really don't count for the issues they cause (and yeah I know UCF's is also an opening Thursday night game), aka not a full week of practice, it sucks if you have it happen it mulitple times later in the season like Rutgers did last year (USF/Louisville).

I think the ACC and the conference formerly known as the Big East have a monopoly on the thursday night games (although I do remember a Big 12 ? game later in the season as well). Think that Big 12 game was a Thanksgiving game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I never really thought about the logistics of Thursday night games until it was rumored that Tech would have one this upcoming season. Seems like it would be just terrible for attendance.

Parking would be a nightmare, for starters, since there are still classes going on. As big a hit as you'd take in attendance due to work/school the next morning from the students and local alumni you'd have an even tougher time getting out of town alumni to come to the game. Local businesses would take a sizeable income hit from what they usually get for home games since you wouldn't have as many out of town families having the time to eat multiple meals at restaurants or shop for Tech gear.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm against Thurs night games because it's always an away game for FSU. Sure, FSU's stadium being a part of campus makes it a logistics nightmare, but IT'S JUST UNFAIR, MAN.

I never really thought about the logistics of Thursday night games until it was rumored that Tech would have one this upcoming season. Seems like it would be just terrible for attendance.

Parking would be a nightmare, for starters, since there are still classes going on. As big a hit as you'd take in attendance due to work/school the next morning from the students and local alumni you'd have an even tougher time getting out of town alumni to come to the game. Local businesses would take a sizeable income hit from what they usually get for home games since you wouldn't have as many out of town families having the time to eat multiple meals at restaurants or shop for Tech gear.
At least for parking, UCF shuts down classes at 12pm at all campuses. Two hours to clear(or just stay if going to the game) or travel to the main campus, then official open tailgating and open container ordinance starts at 2pm for a 7pm or 8pm kickoff.

The issues are the rest of the issues mentioned. Travel for alumni, work schedules, etc. It's a mess. Then getting the campus back to normal that night due to classes resuming Friday. But to be fair, Fridays on campus are usually empty because they're not popular days for classes. Just those freshman Mon/Wed/Fri classes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop
Can't say who just yet (deal isn't finalized) but word at Senior Bowl is another FBS head job will open tonight. Coach going to the league

uh oh...

20130121_jdm_sx1_036.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Bama fans back away from the ledge. Nick ain't leaving.

oh, nevermind.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Non BCS head coach. Should be able to report it in a few hours.

is Nortre Dames technically non-BCS???

Bobby Petrino to the Jags!

cashman

Banned
Something else that might effect this place more than no more Finebaum, seems like pretty much everyone that ran Roll Bama Roll (RBR), the Alabama SBNation blog, is leaving. It was pretty much 3 guys, and they're all gone.

That, plus no more Shutdown Fullback (I think), on top of the polygon makeover of SBNation is making me :(

NOOOOOOOOO

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'm at the Ohio state game and they just announced there are reps from Rutgers here and to welcome them. Not going to lie, there was some boos.

Hey, do any of you guys live in Austin?

I used to, in Dallas now. Meier lives there with his gf (fiancee?). Not sure where any of the actual Texas fans live. Is Stooge still alive?

edit: I think Pristine is pretty close. Or at least he used to be. Based on the fire thread.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at the Ohio state game and they just announced there are reps from Rutgers here and to welcome them. Not going to lie, there was some boos.

Is there some story I'm missing here as to why OSU fans don't like Rutgers, or is this just a general "B1G fans didn't want Rutgers" type situation?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Is there some story I'm missing here as to why OSU fans don't like Rutgers, or is this just a general "B1G fans didn't want Rutgers" type situation?

Most of the Midwest, with the exception of PA, might see Rutgers as Jersey Shore Community College?

Which I don't understand.

Fighting east coast bias?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Miami is still a national draw? Really? They're not even a local draw.

Its crazy but the U has a butload bandwagon football fans that have never been to Miami or are even from Florida. Last game of the season vs Miami there were a bunch of U fans there, almost all of them were from NC or nearby. And most of them stopped by Card Gym to buy a bunch of Duke basketball jerseys so yeah, they still appeal to the casual fan.

tokkun

Ohio State fans have a very low hatred threshold for every other team in the conference, so Rutgers should view being booed as a sign of acceptance.

Limedust

I want to throw barbs at andy, too.

Freshman cornerback Geno Smith corroborated Calipari's story. The former four-star prospect spurned his home state Georgia Bulldogs to come to Tuscaloosa, Ala., and play for Saban. He knew what he was getting into when he gave his signature to the Crimson Tide. After struggling early in the season, admittedly buckling under a complex playbook, Smith came on late and started at nickelback.

"Every day it's competition," he said. "When we go against scout, we have good scout players, believe it or not. When we go good-on-good, you have to bring it every day because everyone is watching. There's a lot of competition going on out there day in and day out.

"I have friends at Georgia. How we practice here is completely different. We're physical. We tackle each other."

NCAA is suspending the Miami investigation and launching an external review of their own compliance and investigation issues. Possible improper conduct during the investigation.

Fucking shitheads. I really wish if UCF loses their appeal hearing, which is tomorrow, they take them to court. The investigator fired over the leaking of information issues on the USC investigation was also on the UCF case.

If Miami and the associated current and former scummy coaches gets off given all the shit that was going on in their program..... disgusting.

Just spoke to our QB coach who's out recruiting right now. I gave him a "good luck" line like a nerd so if he brings in anyone good, I'll just go ahead and take the credit.

ChiTownBuffalo

The latter. After getting Nebraska, I think the B1G figured they'd only be adding high-level teams.

That's why the Pac made the right decision by adding Colorado and Utah. Now our expectations are ridiculously low.

Heartattack.jpg

Most of the Midwest, with the exception of PA, might see Rutgers as Jersey Shore Community College?

Which I don't understand.

Fighting east coast bias?

The latter. After getting Nebraska, I think the B1G figured they'd only be adding high-level teams.

That's why the Pac made the right decision by adding Colorado and Utah. Now our expectations are ridiculously low.

This, I think the consensus around here its why the fuck are we adding Rutgers and Maryland.

andycapps

Not surprising. I wouldn't be opposed to going to those types of practices. Full contact practices are a lot more rare at UGA now than in the early days. They still do some, but it's not every practice. Richt felt like they were getting too many injuries, and the past couple years the roster size has been low so they couldn't afford to lose anybody. Also, LOL Bama oversigns comment goes here.

The Clemson AD came out and said they want the UGA game to be on Saturday as well, so the discussion over Dabo wanting the game on Monday appears to be much ado over nothing. But that's what offseasons are for, I guess.

ChiTownBuffalo

This, I think the consensus around here its why the fuck are we adding Rutgers and Maryland.

Because they didn't aid and abet child molestation?

And further penetration into east coast media markets.

Ohio State fans have a very low hatred threshold for every other team in the conference, so Rutgers should view being booed as a sign of acceptance.

Well, sort of.

Really, I think the three schools we truly hate are Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin. (In that order.) There seems to be some growing animosity between us and MSU as well. I think we're largely indifferent to most everyone else. I'd like to be able to hate Nebraska, but they're too damn nice.

Personally, I don't have a problem with adding Rutgers and Maryland. I think Rutgers will perform admirably in football, especially if they start chipping away at Penn State's recruiting ground in the next three years.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Well, sort of.

Really, I think the three schools we truly hate are Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin. (In that order.) There seems to be some growing animosity between us and MSU as well. I think we're largely indifferent to most everyone else. I'd like to be able to hate Nebraska, but they're too damn nice.

Personally, I don't have a problem with adding Rutgers and Maryland. I think Rutgers will perform admirably in football, especially if they start chipping away at Penn State's recruiting ground in the next three years.

Wait till the UMD fans start throwing batteries and spitting on your players.

ChiTownBuffalo

Wait till the UMD fans start throwing batteries and spitting on your players.

And your schools start signing Under Armour uniform contracts.

Draxal

Because they didn't aid and abet child molestation?

And further penetration into east coast media markets.

It's pretty much so that Gordon Gee could get his dick sucked by all the Fortune 500 alums at the New Meadowlands.

<-- Only Osu game I was at was the kickoff classic between BC and OSU where Eddie George destroyed BC. Think the crowd was 70% behind OSU.

ChiTownBuffalo

There's no fucking way they're worse than Penn State fans, who once threw bags of piss at our marching band.

To be fair, they teach this to all the kids growing up in the 16803. Well, depends on who your babysitters are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom