• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, when you have to drive whatever hours from the nearest airport to get anywhere...

What? Behold the majesty of University Park Airport!

CollegePlace_S95_05.jpg

Look at the runway!

And the planes!

0596000.jpg

Hearing some chatter of a new series between UCF and Penn St. First game would be away at PSU as UCF has gotten out of it's home game against FCS Bethune Cookman University.

The return trip would then be after. I don't mind the series but hopefully they don't back out of it after this game if it happens like Kansas St.

This would make the 2013 OOC for UCF as:
Akron
@ Florida International
@ Penn State
South Carolina

Second straight year with no FCS team scheduled too. We'll see hopefully soon if it actually happens, though.

Edit: Now official. UCF will go to Penn State in 2013 and they will travel to Orlando in 2014. This means the 2014 OOC slate will also not feature an FCS team as Penn St will replace the Jacksonville St home game. 2014 OOC will be FIU, Penn St, BYU at home then Missouri away.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Draxal

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/con...-council-big-ten-expansion-talks-ongoing.html

It doesn’t appear that the Big Ten is necessarily content to stay at 14 members. According to the minutes of the Dec. 5 Athletic Council meeting obtained by the Dispatch, Gee said “there has been ongoing discussion” about expansion and “believes there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.”

When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further south in the (E)ast and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”

Basicaly, he's just saying bend over Swofford.

When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further south in the (E)ast and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”
I can't think of a single Midwest university left that the B1G could possibly be interested in.

Pittsburgh. Maybe University of Chicago. Was just skimming through the AAU list and those are the only ones that stood out to me. Maybe Iowa State.

Huh, didn't realize Iowa State was an AAU. I thought it always made sense geographically, but whatever.

However, the B1G is going to have make a lot more money to afford them then an ACC school, the Big 12 isn't exactly poor anymore.

andycapps

Huh, didn't realize Iowa State was an AAU. I thought it always made sense geographically, but whatever.

However, the B1G is going to have make a lot more money to afford them then an ACC school, the Big 12 isn't exactly poor anymore.

I don't see what they would gain by adding Iowa State anyway. Virginia or Pitt would be marginally better programs.

Draxal

I don't see what they would gain by adding Iowa State anyway. Virginia or Pitt would be marginally better programs.

I think Pitt's off the table, even though I think they're a stronger instutional fit than Rutgers/Maryland due to the redundant markets(don't add schools that are already in the same state rule that the SEC is also following).

I think the other interesting thing he said that he believes in 3 super conferences might be a possiblility, he might think that Texas/Okie to the Pac could still happen.

I think Pitt's off the table, even though I think they're a stronger instutional fit than Rutgers/Maryland due to the redundant markets(don't add schools that are already in the same state rule that the SEC is also following).

I think the other interesting thing he said that he believes in 3 super conferences might be a possiblility, he might think that Texas/Okie to the Pac could still happen.

Honestly, as long as we get in the CIC, I think I am still in favor of going to the Big 10. It's the only move that actually has real world benefits for me, as the value of my degree goes up.

Or forming the MDC.

cdyhybrid

Too bad there are more cows than people in the area between Pac10 territory and Texas. Only way we'll expand is if we resurrect the MDC.

ND, and Kansas/Missou depending on what your definition of Midwest is.
I really think Delany is done begging Notre Dame, and there's no way Mizzou would leave the SEC, especially after the B1G gave them the ice-cold shoulder last time around.

I think its UVA/UNC or bust.
Agreed.

Pittsburgh. Was just skimming through the AAU list and that is the only one that stands out to me. Maybe Iowa State or Virginia.
Pittsburgh technically isn't Midwest, though it does lie within the conference footprint. And Penn State would likely fight like hell to keep them out, though I can't imagine Penn State has much power within the conference these days.

Draxal

Honestly, as long as we get in the CIC, I think I am still in favor of going to the Big 10. It's the only move that actually has real world benefits for me, as the value of my degree goes up.

Or forming the MDC.

Well if Texas joins the Big 10, we could up an NFC east pod with Texas, Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State.

That would amuse me.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing some really good things about recruiting this weekend, at least as far as players in town for visits that don't want it to be public knowledge.

andycapps

Pittsburgh technically isn't Midwest, though it does lie within the conference footprint. And Penn State would likely fight like hell to keep them out, though I can't imagine Penn State has much power within the conference these days.

If Pitt isn't midwest, then UVA and UNC most definitely aren't. Which is true.

I flew in and flew out the same day, so not much time to explore the city. Though I did spend 5 hours at Hobby Airport waiting on my flight.

You could have gone to the Airport Museum!

(Actually, it's pretty neat if you're into Art Deco architecture and flight in the 1930s-60s)

It's weird I was excited when we heard about going to tOSU and I booked pretty early on for that one.

But I'm completely indifferent on possibly travelling to Happy Valley. Like not excited to go and see the stadium or campus at all... I'll probably pass on away games this season unless it is a bowl assuming we are eligible.

Oh I guess Louisville too... one of my good friends have been wanting me to see the area for years now. That would be fun. That's pretty much a guarantee trip especially if UCF is banned from the postseason.

Schmitty

It's weird I was excited when we heard about going to tOSU and I booked pretty early on for that one.

But I'm completely indifferent on possibly travelling to Happy Valley. Like not excited to go and see the stadium or campus at all... I'll probably pass on away games this season unless it is a bowl assuming we are eligible.

Oh I guess Louisville too... one of my good friends have been wanting me to see the area for years now. That would be fun. That's pretty much a guarantee trip especially if UCF is banned from the postseason.
The stadium is huge but not very pretty looking from the outside because of all the piecemeal additions, but campus is great -- then again, most big state schools are

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Darnell Dockett on asking out AJ McCarron’s girlfriend, Katherine Webb, on Twitter:

“It’s not that serious. I was just laughing at people responding because people were really thinking that I was gonna put my number on Twitter. … Anybody that knows Darnell Dockett — the real me, not just the football player, not just the guy you see on TV — anyone that knows me personally knows there is never a dull moment in my life. I’m always excited. I’m always thinking of the next gimmick, the next trick. … It was an opportunity. She’s a very beautiful girl, but I just feel like somebody who’s been modeling and going to Alabama and doing all that country stuff, I just want to take her out of her [element] and bring her to get some of these garlic wings and these barbecue wings, and see a few strippers and things like that, so she can appreciate what she’s doing. I’m just giving back to the community in the long run

“If I really wanted to get his girl there’s a bunch of different ways I’d have went about it. And I would have got her if I really wanted her. But I don’t think she’s my type. I’m not into the thinner girls and the modelling thing like that. I like hood chicks. I like girls with a couple stab wounds, bullet holes, been knocked up a few times. … I like girls who you know have bad credit when they’re 21.”

andycapps

She’s a very beautiful girl, but I just feel like somebody who’s been modeling and going to Alabama and doing all that country stuff, I just want to take her out of her [element] and bring her to get some of these garlic wings and these barbecue wings, and see a few strippers and things like that, so she can appreciate what she’s doing. I’m just giving back to the community in the long run.”

So good.

Since Texas won't sniff a natty for quite some time, LHN's team has resorted to debating hypotheticals. How would the 2005 Texas team fare against the 7 subsequent champions from the SEC?

2006 Florida: W
2007 LSU: W
2008 Florida: W
2009 Alabama: L
2010 Auburn: W
2011 Alabama: L
2012 Alabama: L

So basically LHN is saying the best team in our history couldn't beat this years Alabama. But aggy did. fuck you LHN I reject your hypothetical reality and replace it with my own hypothetical reality. I thought they were supposed to be on OUR side and rig the simulations in our favor.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's all hypothetical's.

2005 Texas would beat 2012 Alabama, on the weekend that A&M did. Alabama's worst performance came on that week, and lost by 4 points at the very end of the game.

2005 Texas would lose to Week One (Michigan) or BCSNCG week (ND) 2012 Alabama.

I'd say they'd lose to 2008 Florida (Good Defense and Offense) but would probably beat 2009 Alabama. That team had a hard time with Tennessee, and let a QB-less Texas come back and make the game interesting. Preface: Colt wouldn't have beaten Alabama that year either.

I'd say 2011 LSU would beat 2005 Texas.

cashman

Banned
It's all hypothetical's.

2005 Texas would beat 2012 Alabama, on the weekend that A&M did. Alabama's worst performance came on that week, and lost by 4 points at the very end of the game.

2005 Texas would lose to Week One (Michigan) or BCSNCG week (ND) 2012 Alabama.

I'd say they'd lose to 2008 Florida (Good Defense and Offense) but would probably beat 2009 Alabama. That team had a hard time with Tennessee, and let a QB-less Texas come back and make the game interesting. Preface: Colt wouldn't have beaten Alabama that year either.

I'd say 2011 LSU would beat 2005 Texas.

There probably isn't a national championship team in the last 10 years that would have beaten 2005 Texas on MNC week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom