• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Dave Hart will have a place in the Bryant Museum when his work at Tennessee is done.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
UTenn has had about $11 million in coaching buyouts, before Dooley. Add $7 Million for Dooley and his assistants :lol

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Even with all the coaching problems they've had, there's no excuse for being so far in debt. They have an absolutely horrible athletic director and administration. Also, thanks Tennessee.

Custom made orange jackets don't come cheap.

bruce-pearl-orange-jacket.jpg

I want to make another Tennessee joke, but I can't bring myself too.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

ChiTownBuffalo

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Per Billy Liucci, in a move that should surprise nobody, A&M backup QB Jameill Showers is transferring. He graduates this Spring and has been granted his release so wherever he goes he'll be able to use the grad school rule to play immediately and he's got two years of eligibility left. Early candidates are Tech, Baylor, Cal, and Arizona State. I will be happy with any of those but Baylor.

Would be kind of sad if he leaves A&M so he won't have to be the backup to Manziel (#14 dual threat QB for the 2011 class on Rivals) only to end up at Tech as the backup to Michael Brewer (#13 dual threat QB for the 2011 class on Rivals).

Incidentally, that class of dual threats is turning out pretty good on the top end. Braxton Miller #1, JW Walsh #4, Teddy Bridgewater #6, Marcus Mariota #12, Johnny Manziel #14, Everett Golson #16, Trevone Boykin #24.

Virginia needed a team to play after PSU decided to play UCF in 2013/2014 instead of finishing the UVA series at home
I've heard UVA had been working on a deal which prompted PSU to start looking. UCF also happened to want out of a game too. The UVA series with PSU likely just gets rescheduled.

mre

Looks like Ole Miss is stealing a recruit from FSU now. Prattville, AL OL Austin Golson who decommitted from FSU earlier today.

mre

Who knew the only thing holding Ole Miss recruiting back was lack of a mascot?

Seriously. I'm looking forward to the rush of schools switching to ursine mascots in order to bank 5-6 5*s each recruiting cycle. That has to be the secret.

cdyhybrid

What's the over/under on Ole Miss getting slammed by the NCAA? 3 years? This is the NCAA we're talking about, so they'll probably wait for the kids who committed the violations to leave/graduate before actually punishing anyone. Wouldn't want to miss out on punishing innocent kids.

What's the over/under on Ole Miss getting slammed by the NCAA? 3 years? This is the NCAA we're talking about, so they'll probably wait for the kids who committed the violations to leave/graduate before actually punishing anyone. Wouldn't want to miss out on punishing innocent kids.

I saw a documentary on sports agents and saw that there is approximately 1 NCAA official for every 11,500 students.

You pretty much have to admit to the NCAA that there is a violation before they will stumble across it themselves.

Not sure if its true but its what I heard.

bachikarn

Incidentally, that class of dual threats is turning out pretty good on the top end. Braxton Miller #1, JW Walsh #4, Teddy Bridgewater #6, Marcus Mariota #12, Johnny Manziel #14, Everett Golson #16, Trevone Boykin #24.

Ironically, #1 Jeff Driskel has been pretty average. I have no idea why rivals listed him as a pro-style QB when he was dual threat all the way. In fact, our other QB Brissett was listed as the #3 dual-threat, when he was pro-style all the way.

I saw a documentary on sports agents and saw that there is approximately 1 NCAA official for every 11,500 students.

You pretty much have to admit to the NCAA that there is a violation before they will stumble across it themselves.

Not sure if its true but its what I heard.

It is. However:

A) Big time agencies won't do this, they have too much to lose, and will lose both access to seniors, and face a penalty with the NFL.

B) This isn't the problem with recruiting. The problem here is "street agents", who "take care" of the recruiting of their nephew, or their neighbor, or some other questionable relationship. They sell off their kid to the highest bidder, usually paid for by alumni. Or, if you're dumb like Chip Kelly, through the university for "recruiting services"

Lonestar

Ironically, #1 Jeff Driskel has been pretty average. I have no idea why rivals listed him as a pro-style QB when he was dual threat all the way. In fact, our other QB Brissett was listed as the #3 dual-threat, when he was pro-style all the way.

that year's #1 All Purpose Back (Dee Hart) has had serious injury problems :( Tore one knee in the summer before his first year, comes back, tears his other knee in week 5 of his 2nd year on campus.

Limedust

I'm reporting from The Alt Hotel in Montreal, tonight. Yes, this place is ALT AS FUCK! Your room key card turns the light on and off, and the whole place is lifted straight out of an early 90's futuristic action hero movie. There's a throw pillow on the bed with an image of pink panties printed on the side of it. There's an issue of CHIC magazine sitting on one of the beds. The front desk workers are hipsters.

Can't wait to see what they serve for breakfast tomorrow.

I'm reporting from The Alt Hotel in Montreal, tonight. Yes, this place is ALT AS FUCK! Your room key card turns the light on and off, and the whole place is lifted straight out of an early 90's futuristic action hero movie. There's a throw pillow on the bed with an image of pink panties printed on the side of it. There's an issue of CHIC magazine sitting on one of the beds. The front desk workers are hipsters.

Can't wait to see what they serve for breakfast tomorrow.
Yeah but Ole Miss isn't going to be like that.

ChiTownBuffalo

Wow. MSU's Golf club has the best logo.

Spartan-Golf-Club-l.jpg

Aesius

Dave Hart will have a place in the Bryant Museum when his work at Tennessee is done.

Dave Hart couldn't possibly screw over UT more than Mike Hamilton did. In fact, he probably deserves a statue outside of Bryant-Denny for his work.

Lonestar

Hmm, I think that sounds a lot worse than it really is. Lots of schools have debt like that factoring in Stadium/facility loans.

Well, it's the worst debt in the SEC, and they have the lowest amount left in reserves in the SEC. So in comparison, they're worse than the rest of the SEC.

LosDaddie

Banned
Looks like Ole Miss is stealing a recruit from FSU now. Prattville, AL OL Austin Golson who decommitted from FSU earlier today.

It's getting harder & harder to recruit against the SEC SEC SEC for schools like FSU in SEC SEC SEC territory. Plus, I imagine 6 coaches leaving FSU in the past month or so doesn't instill confidence that Jimbo knows what he's doing. I dunno. FSU will be very lucky to land a Top 10 next month

Lonestar

It's getting harder & harder to recruit against the SEC SEC SEC for schools like FSU in SEC SEC SEC territory. Plus, I imagine 6 coaches leaving FSU in the past month or so doesn't instill confidence that Jimbo knows what he's doing. I dunno. FSU will be very lucky to land a Top 10 next month

Sucks to be ya'll, bro. Hate that Pruitt's not working out for ya.

Well, it's the worst debt in the SEC, and they have the lowest amount left in reserves in the SEC. So in comparison, they're worse than the rest of the SEC.

i'm not saying it's a good thing but it's pretty standard to have debt service payments like that when you've done the kind of facilities improvements they've done recently. 130 million on stadium, 50 million on athletic center. Can add up pretty quick.

Looking in the Pac 12 which I know more about, we are borrowing $200 million out of the $250 million it's costing to redo Husky Stadium. Cal borrowed $321 million for their Stadium/athletics center. WSU is over $100 million for their stadium improvements and football building. UCLA borrowed $60 million for their basketball arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom