• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Chik-fil-A really that good? We dont get it in Aus, but saw it on tv and it looked just like a chicken fillet burger. Cant be much better than KFC?

Gobias

Banned
Is Chik-fil-A really that good? We dont get it in Aus, but saw it on tv and it looked just like a chicken fillet burger. Cant be much better than KFC?

I really don't think it's anything that special.

I used to love KFC, but I get sick now every time I eat it.

cashman

Banned
That Dontre Wilson guy is going to visit Texas this weekend.

No it's not the sandwhiches are not that special. The Wafflefries and dipping sauces are pretty good though.

Random dude on the internet with an update from the Big 12 meetings said:
-2 conditional offers made today
-Miami and FSU
-I’m told UVA also has already verbally accepted a BIG offer but nothing will be public until number 16 can be decided upon.
I know I should get tired of it, but it keeps staying funny.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why have a poll? NC style wins easily. Even Lexington style is great. I've had SC style and Texas style, and they aren't bad, but they'll never beat NC style.

I like Tallahassee style best. That is, different style depending on which street corner near campus you go to.

My favorite was a cart called King's BBQ that used to be at the corner of Pensacola and Ocala about ten years ago. He did a really good vinegar based sauce that was thin so it couldn't completely cover up the taste of the meat. He moved into a brick and mortar joint down the road and was still good, but not quite as good. There was also a good Jerk bbq place at the corner of Tennessee and Ocala.

Is the random internet dude from West Virginia by chance?
It's some commenter on a B1G expansion-focused blog, so probably not.

In related news, Johns Hopkins to B1G lacrosse?
ColbertCalledIt.gif

Delaney courting Hopkins explains the lack of movement to get a current B1G to add lacrosse, and Hopkins, Maryland, Rutgers, and Ohio State turns the B1G into a major lax conference overnight.

ColbertCalledIt.gif

Delaney courting Hopkins explains the lack of movement to get a current B1G to add lacrosse, and Hopkins, Maryland, Rutgers, and Ohio State turns the B1G into a major lax conference overnight.

Johns Hopkins?? Don't they play DIII in everything else? I know they are high on academics, but I thought they had a student body comparable to MIT.

sharbhund

Johns Hopkins?? Don't they play DIII in everything else? I know they are high on academics, but I thought they had a student body comparable to MIT.

I assume that the other big draw for the Big Ten is that Johns Hopkins is by far the #1 research school in the country, so that would be a nice boost to the CIC.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Are the Hopkins Lacrosse players bros?

They do. It would have to be an affiliate membership, which everyone always assumed the B1G wouldn't do (apparently that was the excuse they always used against B1G hockey until Penn State, and obviously Notre Dame.) But OSU's associate AD specifically mentioned it as a possibility in regards to lacrosse.

Anyone familiar with the Tampa area? Im going on a cruise at the end of Feb. and our plane doesnt leave tampa until 6:30pm. So I will essential have an entire day there, any suggestions on places to eat or things to do?

KingGondo

Banned
Anyone familiar with the Tampa area? Im going on a cruise at the end of Feb. and our plane doesnt leave tampa until 6:30pm. So I will essential have an entire day there, any suggestions on places to eat or things to do?
I'm told it's the strip club capital of the world, so there's that.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I like Tallahassee style best. That is, different style depending on which street corner near campus you go to.

My favorite was a cart called King's BBQ that used to be at the corner of Pensacola and Ocala about ten years ago. He did a really good vinegar based sauce that was thin so it couldn't completely cover up the taste of the meat. He moved into a brick and mortar joint down the road and was still good, but not quite as good. There was also a good Jerk bbq place at the corner of Tennessee and Ocala.

BBQ in Florida blows my mind, but Tallahassee is where the south ends I guess.

andycapps

For fast food, it's pretty good. KFC is alright, and definitely has it's times when it's appealing. For crappy fried chicken chains, I prefer the spicy fried chicken at Popeyes.

bucknuticus said:

I have some friends there. I hear Ybor City is a really cool part of town. Never been to Tampa so I have no firsthand experience. If it were summer, you could probably get some cheap baseball tickets.

Limedust

My southern friends swear by Zaxbys and say it's even better than chick-fil-a chicken. Apparently one is coming to houston soon so i'll need to try it.

Also Freebirds. 90% of aggy thinks the original Freebirds restaurant is in collie station, but really the first was in California. Cali is home of the custom burrito

Duncan, SC has a Chick-Fil-A almost directly next to a Zaxby's... and, yes, Zaxby's is better.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Duncan, SC has a Chick-Fil-A almost directly next to a Zaxby's... and, yes, Zaxby's is better.

There's at least one Zaxby's in Dallas but it would be hard for me to say it's better than Chik-Fil-A. The chicken strips are better at Zaxby's, I think, but CFA has the better fries and chicken sandwiches.

ColbertCalledIt.gif

I'm calling bullshit on this one.

B1G doesn't do (insert sport)-only membership. You're either all in or you're out.

Is the random internet dude from West Virginia by chance?

I'm a dude, and from WV. Let me take a crack at this expansion stuff:

"The Big 12 is looking to go to at least 12 teams, and have had discussions with FSU and Miami. However, Clemson and maybe even GT are in play if things with Miami don't work out.

The Big 12 probably won't make a move until the B1G and SEC go to 16. Right now the B1G would prefer to take UVa and UNC, but UNC has concerns about being separated from long-time rival Duke. This might cause the B1G to look to GT instead. The SEC would also like UNC to go along with VT, but if UNC isn't willing to leave Duke, NCSU would be the next choice.

If these moves happen, with UVa and GT going to the B1G and VT and NCSU going to the SEC, the Big 12 may go straight up to 16 as well by taking on FSU and Miami as initially planned, plus Clemson, UNC, Duke, and Louisville from the collapsing ACC."

I have sources. Trust me.

Draxal

I'm calling bullshit on this one.

B1G doesn't do (insert sport)-only membership. You're either all in or you're out.

John Hopkins would be the ultimate exception. They recieve 1.8 billion in fed research money annually, and with University of Chicago would be the ultimate bookends for the CIC.

And La Crosse is oddly enough a money sport, it's pretty much what all the scions of all the rich white families play in the North East, who tend to donate alot of money to their schools. It would give the BTN some additional inventory for the spring.

Talon

John Hopkins would be the ultimate exception. They recieve 1.8 billion in fed research money annually, and with University of Chicago would be the ultimate bookends for the CIC.

And La Crosse is oddly enough a money sport, it's pretty much what all the scions of all the rich white families play in the North East, who tend to donate alot of money to their schools. It would give the BTN some additional inventory for the spring.
?

I think you mean Northwestern.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The Florida Schools should be ecstatic. Alabama's (so far) only gotten 2 players from the state of Florida this year. Improvement!

The more likely scenario is that the addition of Rutgers and Maryland will encourage other athletic departments in the conference to form lax programs.

Look at what happened with ice hockey. Penn State joined a conference that had several ice hockey programs, all of which functioned independently from the B1G. Penn State decided to form a varsity program, and now the conference is able to sponsor the sport.

Draxal

?

I think you mean Northwestern.

Nah, University of Chicago is already in the CIC as it was a former Big 10 school that dropped out earlier. So there is already some sort of precedent for inviting an associate school to CIC if they're an elite academic school.

The more likely scenario is that the addition of Rutgers and Maryland will encourage other athletic departments in the conference to form lax programs.

Look at what happened with ice hockey. Penn State joined a conference that had several ice hockey programs, all of which functioned independently from the B1G. Penn State decided to form a varsity program, and now the conference is able to sponsor the sport.

I think Northwestern is the most likely candidate for that as they have a decent women's la crosse team (think they won the national champs recently). UVA/UNC also have pretty strong la crosse schools. I still don't think this is far fetched. Getting John Hopkins into the CIC would be huge for every school.

andycapps

The Florida Schools should be ecstatic. Alabama's (so far) only gotten 2 players from the state of Florida this year. Improvement!

They may be, but I'm pissed that Bama is coming into Georgia so much. Granted, we're still getting a ton of the top players, but Bama needs to start producing their own talent. Haha

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The state produces it's fair share of talent. More than it's population should provide. But Alabama's so big now, it's moved on to recruitment on a national level. Still, Atlanta is the closest metropolitan area to draw from. Crazy amounts of high schools, meaning crazy amounts of football being played there.

I still don't understand why the Big XII would go after both florida schools. If you're trying to increase your footprint, I would think you'd opt to not take two schools from the same state.

andycapps

The state produces it's fair share of talent. More than it's population should provide. But Alabama's so big now, it's moved on to recruitment on a national level. Still, Atlanta is the closest metropolitan area to draw from. Crazy amounts of high schools, meaning crazy amounts of football being played there.

For sure, the amount of players coming out of the Atlanta area is ridiculous. Alabama is producing some good ones, and occasionally Georgia is able to get one or two of them. For the most part, Georgia can spend their time in Georgia and Florida. They got that linebacker this year from Indiana of all places that should be really good.

I think Northwestern is the most likely candidate for that as they have a decent women's la crosse team (think they won the national champs recently). UVA/UNC also have pretty strong la crosse schools. I still don't think this is far fetched. Getting John Hopkins into the CIC would be huge for every school.

Don't be mistaken, young scarlet knight.

Money is the driving force of the B1G, not academics. I'd say academics come third, after money and the strength of athletics.

Talon

Northwestern has won 7 of the last 8 national titles.

It's the dynasty nobody care about. Like Stanford Water Polo's cousin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom