• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
With National Signing fast approaching cheers to the teams signing their classes withouth the bagman. Cheers to you Notre Dame, Michigan, and Penn State for being able to get kids to come to your school without having to throw around ridiculous amounts of money.

We've been picking up players with a bit more talent than we expected to be with the late coaching change, the change happening just days before the dead period, and only having 9 or so commits when the new staff took over, but a lot of the players we're getting are grade risks. The kind of guys that weren't too heavily recruited all year because nobody expected them to qualify but now they're getting close to qualifying so recruitment is picking up. It's risky but will hopefully pay off.

Hopefully Gary Moore is able to get his work done in the classroom because that guy will be a superbeast if he makes it to college.

Talon

A wild new Ohio State fan appears.
I choose you, Snorlax!
brady-hoke.jpg

With National Signing fast approaching cheers to the teams signing their classes withouth the bagman. Cheers to you Notre Dame, Michigan, and Penn State for being able to get kids to come to your school without having to throw around ridiculous amounts of money.

Still bitter over the National Championship game?

So am I - I wanted a better game to watch than what I got.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
No, no. He's completely correct. Who would go to a team like Alabama without getting paid? Three MNCs in four years, great coach, good NFL pipeline. When instead you could go to Notre Dame, win a bunch of cupcake games, and then get exposed as frauds with a huge national audience?

Or die on a scissor lift, or rape-rape people. Or become a schizo and start seeing people that aren't really there.

bluemax

Banned
See, that might be a good argument in the BCS era, but this change wouldn't even happen until after the 2013 season when we begin to enter the GOLDEN ERA OF THE almost PLAYOFF SYSTEM in which the teams will be selected by a panel. I still don't think the CCG adds that much of a shine when all of the teams have already played each other. Plus, you run the risk of a rematch of the game the week before (see UCLA v. Stanford), and that definitely won't win you any style points.

Speaking of UCLA v. Stanford, has the PAC-12 made any move to amend their scheduling so that teams play either teams in their division or OOC teams during that last week to prevent a recurrence of last years debacle?

Yes. They changed the date of the Stanford vs Cal game this season. Everyone plays their division rival to end the season this year except Furd and Cal. Furd is taking on ND, dunno about Cal.

Not sure if this will always be the case though because of how USC schedules ND.

Zigzz14

Damn people getting really sensitive in this thread. Its cool, your team cheats and is a joke of an academic institution concerning student athletes. Makes it all the sweeter when we get over that hump next year.

Golson Heisman 2013!

Lonestar

Damn people getting really sensitive in this thread. Its cool, your team cheats and is a joke of an academic institution concerning student athletes. Makes it all the sweeter when we get over that hump next year.

Golson Heisman 2013!

Our teams don't cheat. We kill those deers, fair and square.

Talon

Golson Heisman 2013!
Judging by Manti Te'o, the academic standards have dropped significantly (almost as precipitously as Notre Dame has fallen on actual college rankings since 2006).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Golson Heisman 2013!
Still going on about this?

Considering that the poster boy for your football program is dumber than a bag of rocks, I wouldn't throw stones at the academic integrity of any other football program. Poor Manti needs every rock in that bag he can get.

Lonestar

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130131/running-back-recruiting-reality-alabama/

Article on the growing trend of RB Committee's, and the reasoning why (it's to have success with fewer carries.)

Lacy is a prime example. In 2010, he split carries with Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson. In 2011, he split carries with Richardson. In 2012, he split carries with Yeldon. Ingram (572 collegiate carries) was a first-round pick (No. 28) in 2011. Richardson (540 collegiate carries) was a first-round pick (No. 3) in 2012. Lacy (355 collegiate carries) projects as a late first- or early second-round pick in 2013. That's a far cry from the SEC feature-back days of Herschel Walker, who carried 994 times in three seasons at Georgia before he entered pro football.

Hear, hear!

Who wants to get paid when you can actually kill people at Notre Dame? Hell, Bryan Kelly's program has already killed like three people.

Granted, one of them was imaginary, but still.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Hear, hear!

Who wants to get paid when you can actually kill people at Notre Dame? Hell, Bryan Kelly's program has already killed like three people.

Granted, one of them was imaginary, but still.

You don't know how many imaginary people Bryan Kelly's program has killed.

Think about THAT for a minute.

Meier

I am so out of the loop this year with FSU's recruiting. All the coaching turnover has pretty much destroyed any chances we had with many targets.

bluemax

Banned

But Notre Dame does offer scholarships to people's shitty best friends who were only 2 star recruits that only other cheater schools were willing to offer a scholarship to!

andycapps

Golson Heisman 2013!

Notre Dame
There's always next year

Lonestar

Pete Carroll pioneered this!

Not really. The ebb and flow of trends in football is well known. Multiple RB's were big back in the 70's, with all the wishbone offenses and such. The 80's and 90's brought about the superbacks, and their 30 carries per game. But Carroll, Saban, and others in the early 00's started bringing it back (along with common sense when looking at the NFL game, and what's happened to RB's lifespan in the NFL)

Limedust

So what kind of signing day web cams are going to be available this year? Will ND kill a graduate student in a grizzly paper-shredding stunt? Will PSU host bring-your-child-to-work day in the athletic department offices? Maybe a Maryland QB will blow an ACL walking by on camera.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
But Carroll, Saban, and others in the early 00's started bringing it back (along with common sense when looking at the NFL game, and what's happened to RB's lifespan in the NFL)

Sure, give credit to Saban instead of the offensive genius known as Houston Nutt :)jnc) with what he did with McFadden, Felix Jones, and Peyton Hillis.

Joking aside, it does make me sad knowing we had that combo in the back field and we still couldn't do better than 8-4 in a season.

Limedust

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Sure, give credit to Saban instead of the offensive genius known as Houston Nutt :)jnc) with what he did with McFadden, Felix Jones, and Peyton Hillis.

That combo, plus the Ronnie Brown / Cadillac Williams combo at Auburn were the only RB corps in the last 10 years that scared me as a Bama fan.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Joking aside...

captain-kirk-fight-scene-o.gif

Talon

Joking aside, it does make me sad knowing we had that combo in the back field and we still couldn't do better than 8-4 in a season.
Or frickin' Tuberville with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown.

Or (ten million other examples).

Garryk

Hey, Houston Nutt took Ole Miss to back-to-back Cotton Bowls! Ain't nobody done that before!

Lonestar

was out at lunch, couldn't respond quick enough.

Arky Fan:
Saban started doing it at least at LSU, before the DMC/Felix Untoppable combo duo team.

LSU's problem is, no one can remember any RB that's ever played at LSU. Ever. Even Kevin Faulk doesn't remember Kevin Faulk at LSU.

andycapps

was out at lunch, couldn't respond quick enough.

Arky Fan:
Saban started doing it at least at LSU, before the DMC/Felix Untoppable combo duo team.

LSU's problem is, no one can remember any RB that's ever played at LSU. Ever. Even Kevin Faulk doesn't remember Kevin Faulk at LSU.

Offensively, I only remember Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Perrilloux at LSU.

Lonestar

Offensively, I only remember Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Perrilloux at LSU.

LSU's a strange place. Draw in high quality HS RB's, run them (and they perform well) but no one knows they ever played, until they magically appear on the Colts with Peyton Manning.

andycapps

LSU's a strange place. Draw in high quality HS RB's, run them (and they perform well) but no one knows they ever played, until they magically appear on the Colts with Peyton Manning.

The problem with LSU is they can never seem to score on offense. Miles may be a great coach, but he's known for having solid defenses that are opportunistic and force turnovers. He has had some solid RB's, I just can't think of any of their names off the top of my head.

Lonestar

So I got U-Verse, and am currently watching LHN.

Discovery Channel is covering animal smuggling, TLC is doing something about fashion, and National Geographic is airing a reality show about Alaskan State Troopers.

LHN is doing a lecture on the effect of Victorian technologies. Afterwards, it's an interview with John Glenn.

Basically, LHN is the most intellectually satisfying channel right now. I don't know how this happened.

So I got U-Verse, and am currently watching LHN.

Discovery Channel is covering animal smuggling, TLC is doing something about fashion, and National Geographic is airing a reality show about Alaskan State Troopers.

LHN is doing a lecture on the effect of Victorian technologies. Afterwards, it's an interview with John Glenn.

Basically, LHN is the most intellectually satisfying channel right now. I don't know how this happened.

I watched LHN once when I got U-Verse at my new place. I can confirm those without it are actually winning.

Also, why is John Glenn on the LHN, he should be on BTN as a proud alumnus! We named a whole damn school after him!

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

I almost wish I wasn't too cheap to pay the extra $5 a month to get the sports package that channel is included with. Especially since Science channel is slowly turning into Discover/TLC/History by showing nothing but Fringe and Firefly instead of something science related.

I almost wish I wasn't too cheap to pay the extra $5 a month to get the sports package that channel is included with. Especially since Science channel is slowly turning into Discover/TLC/History by showing nothing but Fringe and Firefly instead of something science related.

ESPN U, News, etc are all on the sports package here, I needs em.

krzy123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-7YT9I2-_Zw#t=12s

Hard to find offensive snaps, but right off the bat, here's 2010 against PSU.

2009 against Miss State

Now, they've not done any of the Zone Read options from this, like it's become popular with Kaep or RG3, nor is it the only thing Alabama runs. But it's in the top 3 styles Alabama uses. Shotgun, Single back w/HBack, and the Pistol.

damn shoulda asked for a bleacher report link instead. We need to bring back the real FB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom