• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Or the older sister of Ohio State's women's synchronized swimming team.
...we have synchronized swimming in the Big Ten?
And La Crosse is oddly enough a money sport, it's pretty much what all the scions of all the rich white families play in the North East, who tend to donate alot of money to their schools. It would give the BTN some additional inventory for the spring.
That isn't what people mean when they say "revenue sport." Nobody watches Lacrosse games on TV.

The endowments of Michigan, Northwestern and Ohio State are massive anyways.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mustain should have transferred to Tulsa with the Gus Bus.

Quite a few of these QB's either chose the wrong school for their abilities, transferred when they should have stayed, or went to ND and well, that's just masochistic.

Lonestar

Not going to lie, I completely forgot about Noel Devine

So did the NFL.

Dude was insane on WVU. But, they always seemed to want to protect him, so he'd only get like 5-8 touches a game. He'd usually break an 80 yard run or 2 with those touches. If he got something like 15-20...

Or maybe my memory is off, oh well.

Lonestar

I want to meet the person editing his Wiki page and shake their hand.

:lol, dude's been playing in the arena league since 1995! 1100 touchdowns :lol

Unless you're thinking of Stephen Garcia, who has only been banging bar broads in hotel rooms since his departure from USCe

Draxal

Don't be mistaken, young scarlet knight.

Money is the driving force of the B1G, not academics. I'd say academics come third, after money and the strength of athletics.

There's a monetary value associated with strength of athletics and academics. The monetary value of adding John Hopkins would be huge to the CIC.

...we have synchronized swimming in the Big Ten?

That isn't what people mean when they say "revenue sport." Nobody watches Lacrosse games on TV.

The endowments of Michigan, Northwestern and Ohio State are massive anyways.

A revenue sport is basically any sport that generates money for the athletic department that can support the costs of the other sports that cost a ton. And, John Hopkins does have a special deal for ESPNU for la crosse. Like I said, it's mainly a NE/Middle Atlantic states thing that's kinda growing across to the Midwest. There's also the problem that the conference networks lack inventory for spring, and they need something to show, and La Crosse kinda fills that void.

There's a monetary value associated with strength of athletics and academics. The monetary value of adding John Hopkins would be huge to the CIC.
The CIC is really a cool, shiny, and awesome accessory to the B1G, but it's not the driving force behind expansion.

This conversation is really absurd on multiple levels. Johns Hopkins would never be added.

Never.

As in, not ever.

So did the NFL.

Dude was insane on WVU. But, they always seemed to want to protect him, so he'd only get like 5-8 touches a game. He'd usually break an 80 yard run or 2 with those touches. If he got something like 15-20...

Or maybe my memory is off, oh well.

It wasn't so much that we wanted to protect him while he was here, but things here weren't really set up to really showcase him during his time here. His freshman year, he was backing up Steve Slaton. Then the next year, Pat White was still here so they were splitting carries. His junior year was the big one, getting ~20 carries/game. My memory is kinda fuzzy, but I think he was on pace to have a great senior year, too, but had to deal with a lot of little, nagging injuries during the 2nd half of the season.

Probably the biggest problem for him though, was having his 3 years as starter coincide with the years that Bill Stewart was coaching. Our offensive coordinator during that time was god awful, and the offensive line and OL coach were even worse. Pretty much every yard he gained was on his own.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
UGA Lineman, Watts Dantzler, via twitter:

"This is what I say to Tornados"​

BB3tf2oCEAASgXN.jpg:large

I have a new favorite non-Bama player.

andycapps

UGA Lineman, Watts Dantzler, via twitter:

"This is what I say to Tornados"​

BB3tf2oCEAASgXN.jpg:large

I have a new favorite non-Bama player.

He's a funny kid, but if you think that was funny, read his Greyhound story from last year. It was hilarious. He and another of the offensive linemen have been filming a "trick shot" video of Murray around Athens. I think they're in the process of editing it or having some nerdy friend edit it (banking on the latter). Here are some work in progress pictures. May have to fix these links.

BB0QV4GCAAASFKj.jpg

BBpG30nCYAAo-1d.jpg

U_4NqKM3xx

Lonestar

Alex Weprin ‏@alexweprin
Just In: CNN will brand its sports programming with the "Bleacher Report" brand name, starting with Super Bowl pre-game show on Sunday

mmmm, taste the Journalistic Quality.

andycapps

mmmm, taste the Journalistic Quality.

I want to know who at CNN thought that Bleacher Report was a better sports source than Sports Illustrated. I can see using Bleacher Report or SB Nation for getting the feel for how fans feel about things, but to use it for actual journalism is hilarious.

mre

I want to know who at CNN thought that Bleacher Report was a better sports source than Sports Illustrated. I can see using Bleacher Report or SB Nation for getting the feel for how fans feel about things, but to use it for actual journalism is hilarious.
I heard that Jon Bon Jovi was instrumental in this move.

Just sounds like a shrewd business man trying to get his product bought by GNC. Claiming the substance was used by this years NFL inspiration Ray Lewis and the MNC winners Alabama is a great way to get gym rats everywhere interested in your product. I'll buy 4 bottles of antler spray please!

I'm calling bullshit on this one.

B1G doesn't do (insert sport)-only membership. You're either all in or you're out.
To be honest, I'm with you, I'll believe Hopkins -> B1G when I see it, but it is fun to think about as a B1G and lacrosse fan. That said...
inside Lacrosse said:
Among the considerations, [Heather Lyke, associate athletic director at Ohio State and a member of the NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship Committee] seemed to indicate that adding affiliate members for individual sports could be on the table, which may come as a surprise to college hockey fans who for years awaited Big Ten hockey prior to Penn State’s adding the sport this season.

John Hopkins would be the ultimate exception.
They're like a Notre Dame that's actually relevant year in and year out and they are valuable enough to command an ESPNU contract on their own.

The more likely scenario is that the addition of Rutgers and Maryland will encourage other athletic departments in the conference to form lax programs.
I think Northwestern is the most likely candidate for that as they have a decent women's la crosse team (think they won the national champs recently).
I agree that a current school adding lacrosse is more likely, but I think it'll either be MSU restarting their program or Illinois. MSU since they had one in the recent past and would have an in-state rival. Illinois for the Chicago pool. I think the women's program makes jNW less likely, they're already Title IX balanced so they would have to find another women's sport to balance out men's lacrosse and jNW isn't that big on athletics anyway (fewest programs of any B1G school, including UMD and Rutgers.)

Money is the driving force of the B1G, not academics. I'd say academics come third, after money and the strength of athletics.
*cough*Rutgers*cough*

This doesn't apply to B1G schools, but one development I've noticed over the past few years is that lacrosse is becoming a revenue sport for small, liberal arts schools, especially DIII and NAIA schools. Not because fans or TV revenue, but for tuition. Both of the classic small liberal arts schools in my podunk town a couple hours west of Chicago added lacrosse last year, and my old club team has started using more of those types of schools to pad out their schedule (NAIA schools play in the club-oriented MCLA since the NAIA doesn't sponsor lacrosse yet.) I'm friends with a couple of "well-placed" people at one of the local schools (dean of students and an assistant football coach) and I flat out asked them why they added lacrosse. They both said that lacrosse is bringing in about 15-20 kids a year who typically can pay full tuition and that alone is revenue positive. May not sound like a lot, but when you're a small college to begin with, you don't need a lot.

mre

Lonestar

Think they're still stuck with that SEC/XII Bowl game deal. Possibly trying to find a way to make it work while not grabbing 2 more teams.

andycapps

27 hours and 36 minutes.

Thats how long it took for someone to bring it up here. :lol

I thought the fruit was hanging too low for me to stoop to pick it up. :p

This doesn't apply to B1G schools, but one development I've noticed over the past few years is that lacrosse is becoming a revenue sport for small, liberal arts schools, especially DIII and NAIA schools. Not because fans or TV revenue, but for tuition. Both of the classic small liberal arts schools in my podunk town a couple hours west of Chicago added lacrosse last year, and my old club team has started using more of those types of schools to pad out their schedule (NAIA schools play in the club-oriented MCLA since the NAIA doesn't sponsor lacrosse yet.) I'm friends with a couple of "well-placed" people at one of the local schools (dean of students and an assistant football coach) and I flat out asked them why they added lacrosse. They both said that lacrosse is bringing in about 15-20 kids a year who typically can pay full tuition and that alone is revenue positive. May not sound like a lot, but when you're a small college to begin with, you don't need a lot.

Honestly, I hope to God that John Hopkins is added by the B1G and their rationale is that they're a top lacrosse program. That would make my offseason.

*cough*Rutgers*cough*

I should have added that the gap between money and strength of athletics is a pretty wide one. Money is easily the biggest driving force.

And really, I don't see the need to add associate members. With Rutgers and Maryland, there are already enough teams for the B1G to sponsor women's lacrosse, and they would only need one more men's program to sponsor men's lacrosse.

Once they get another men's program going, I'd say there's a good chance they'll start sponsoring both sports. (I don't think they'll sponsor women's until they've got enough to sponsor men's as well.)

Lonestar

heh, now one of the owners, during an interview on an Atlanta radio station, said UGA players used products during this last season, including the SEC CCG.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Is the money from the CCG enough to offset the risk of knocking your best team from the field of four in the post season? Big XII be stupid, yo.

I think the conference also doesn't like that everybody else gets one last marketing push for their champion with a CCG at the end of the season while the Big XII winner has most likely either already won it or is going to win it due to somebody losing in a game that's not their own.

impirius

Deer antler spray should be mandatory for all teams next season. The SECCG was ridiculously entertaining. Probaby would have been 3-2 without Deer Power.

Lonestar

Deer antler spray should be mandatory for all teams next season. The SECCG was ridiculously entertaining. Probaby would have been 3-2 without Deer Power.

according to the ex-stripper, I mean, co-owner, Alabama didn't use it this past season.

LSU used in 2011, Auburn in 2010.

Basically, whoever's winning, wink wink wink wink ;P

Draxal

I agree that a current school adding lacrosse is more likely, but I think it'll either be MSU restarting their program or Illinois. MSU since they had one in the recent past and would have an in-state rival. Illinois for the Chicago pool. I think the women's program makes jNW less likely, they're already Title IX balanced so they would have to find another women's sport to balance out men's lacrosse and jNW isn't that big on athletics anyway (fewest programs of any B1G school, including UMD and Rutgers.)

I think re-adding a sport that's been dissolved would actually be a title IX issue, as they would no longer be grandfathered in, so MSU/Illinois might not be able to add it as easily.

I still think NW is still the best case (and much more likely than a John Hopkins add), and I'll be rather crass with this as they are a rich white person school, and lacrosse is a rich white person sport, that can draw all the rich white people from Long Island/NJ/Maryland, plus all the bonus "donations" their family can give out.

And yeah revenue sports are different when you go into the lower tiers, football is not a revenue sport when you go further down the conferences, and basketball is by far the king (especially if the small school wins a decent share in the NCAA tournament).

andycapps

according to the ex-stripper, I mean, co-owner, Alabama didn't use it this past season.

LSU used in 2011, Auburn in 2010.

Basically, whoever's winning, wink wink wink wink ;P

Just like Ray Lewis, without players testing positive for it, can't do anything to the athlete. Also, WhitneyHoustonshowmethereceipts.gif goes here.

mre

I think the conference also doesn't like that everybody else gets one last marketing push for their champion with a CCG at the end of the season while the Big XII winner has most likely either already won it or is going to win it due to somebody losing in a game that's not their own.
See, that might be a good argument in the BCS era, but this change wouldn't even happen until after the 2013 season when we begin to enter the GOLDEN ERA OF THE almost PLAYOFF SYSTEM in which the teams will be selected by a panel. I still don't think the CCG adds that much of a shine when all of the teams have already played each other. Plus, you run the risk of a rematch of the game the week before (see UCLA v. Stanford), and that definitely won't win you any style points.

Speaking of UCLA v. Stanford, has the PAC-12 made any move to amend their scheduling so that teams play either teams in their division or OOC teams during that last week to prevent a recurrence of last years debacle?

Cousteau

After hearing about this Ray Lewis incident my mind immediately went to the obvious.

I'm pretty sure we've solved the mystery of how he does it.

Of course I'm referring to the one and only....

Santa Clause.

It never made sense how he could make all those deliveries in that short window of time.

Reindeer Antler Velvet

Nothing is impossible now.

tokkun

Looks like the SEC voters are out in droves. There's no reason for Popeyes to still be in it except for SEC SEC SEC voting.

The true evidence of that is in the beer poll. You could make arguments for Northeast, Midwest, and West, but Southeast should be a distant last place.

Chris R

Looks like the SEC voters are out in droves. There's no reason for Popeyes to still be in it except for SEC SEC SEC voting.

Also, Bojangles is awesome. That is all.
Popeye's is god tier, but damn if I don't want Whataburger to win.

Zigzz14

With National Signing fast approaching cheers to the teams signing their classes withouth the bagman. Cheers to you Notre Dame, Michigan, and Penn State for being able to get kids to come to your school without having to throw around ridiculous amounts of money.

mre

Whatever happened to that lifelong Notre Dame fan who popped off in the middle of the season? Did he ever show his face in the thread again to acknowledge that his team was an absolute fraud last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom