• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
raylewis_atomicreindeer.gif

bluemax

Banned
Not really. The ebb and flow of trends in football is well known. Multiple RB's were big back in the 70's, with all the wishbone offenses and such. The 80's and 90's brought about the superbacks, and their 30 carries per game. But Carroll, Saban, and others in the early 00's started bringing it back (along with common sense when looking at the NFL game, and what's happened to RB's lifespan in the NFL)

I wasn't serious. I just remember people talking so much about how we had 5 stud RBs and how would we play them all!

Now lots of teams are doing it.

andycapps

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/31/3938434/mashup-alabama-notre-dame-inserted-into-apollo-13

Oh God Oh God, you guys have to see this

One of the perfect mashups in the history of existence.

Flawless.

Apparently, Derrick Henry caught some shit from some Georgia fans for decommitting from Georgia and switching to Bama. Good recruiting article that talks about why these guys decommit. Davin Bellamy is getting some shit now for decommitting from FSU. From my perspective, I don't care too much whether a RB decides to go to Bama instead of UGA these days. It's their loss since they will most likely not see the field much at all.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Flawless.

Apparently, Derrick Henry caught some shit from some Georgia fans for decommitting from Georgia and switching to Bama. Good recruiting article that talks about why these guys decommit. Davin Bellamy is getting some shit now for decommitting from FSU. From my perspective, I don't care too much whether a RB decides to go to Bama instead of UGA these days. It's their loss since they will most likely not see the field much at all.

Oh, come on. At least one of our starting RBs has left for the NFL leaving at least spot in the rotation wide open. Gurley and Marshall are both still there, and are only sophomores.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Its come to the point where local press is getting excited about flipping San Jose State commits to Colorado.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

ChiTownBuffalo

andycapps

Oh, come on. At least one of our starting RBs has left for the NFL leaving at least spot in the rotation wide open. Gurley and Marshall are both still there, and are only sophomores.

You guys will have, what 7-8 scholarship RB's this year though, right? Gurley and Marshall are all we have, except for a former walk-on that was given a scholarship last year. A 3rd string RB will still see the field occasionally, but a 5-6th string RB isn't going to play.

Dee Liner contacted UGA the other day and apparently UGA is trying to make a last minute steal from Bama. Richt, Grantham and Wilson were at his house the next day and he's taking an official visit this weekend. Would be quite the steal.

Kyle Flood is as shitty a recruiter as he is a head coach.

Nothing but projects. Still, the idiots on the Rivals board are defending him. It's even gotten to the point where the moderators delete/lock any threads criticizing him.

Makes me happy that we have fair moderation on NEOGAF, and not this crony moderation shit that exists on most message boards, because mods are more concerned about retaining access than discussion.

Lonestar

You guys will have, what 7-8 scholarship RB's this year though, right? Gurley and Marshall are all we have, except for a former walk-on that was given a scholarship last year. A 3rd string RB will still see the field occasionally, but a 5-6th string RB isn't going to play.

Dee Liner contacted UGA the other day and apparently UGA is trying to make a last minute steal from Bama. Richt, Grantham and Wilson were at his house the next day and he's taking an official visit this weekend. Would be quite the steal.

Well, since he hasn't ever committed to Alabama, not sure how it can be a steal.

RB's in 2013:
Yeldon - Sophomore
Fowler - Either a Senior, or a RS Junior if he's given a medical redshirt, coming off a knee injury. The only other Large Back on the roster.
Dee Hart - RS Sophomore (potential to get a 6th year, having had 2 season ending injuries back to back) Having both knees torn in 2 years, puts him in jeopardy of ever getting back on the field, let alone reach his original potential. I'm sure Douchebag Michigan fans are happy with his misfortune.
Kenyan Drake - Sophomore. Closer in skill to Tyren Jones than Henry
Blake Sims - Junior. I list him, because it's unknown what his future is. Yes, he's the backup QB in 2012, but his throwing skill leaves alot to be desired, whereas he has great runningback skills. Could see him move back to RB with Morris off his redshirt year and the incoming Bateman/Del Rio/McCleod.
Brent Calloway - Sophomore. Who knows what he'll be. He's bouncing between RB, H-Back, and Defense. Maybe he should have went to Auburn in the first place.

So, the incoming RB's (Henry for sure, and currently Tenpenny and T. Jones are committed, with Kamara sitting out there as well), say all of them come to Alabama. If they all redshirt this season (2013), they'd see action in 2014, where:

Yeldon is a JR (and will probably be his last season)
Fowler is either gone or on his last season
Hart could be on his last season, 2 years left, or might already be gone (transferred, medical scholarship, quit football)
Drake is on his JR Year, and who knows, if he blows up in the backup spot this year, could also be on his last season in 2014.
Blake Sims would be on his last season
Calloway would be a Junior, and could be in some other position, or might have transferred.

So, these 4 guys, by their Redshirt Sophomore year, could be the top 4 RB's on the team.

andycapps

Well, since he hasn't ever committed to Alabama, not sure how it can be a steal.

RB's in 2013:
Yeldon - Sophomore
Fowler - Either a Senior, or a RS Junior if he's given a medical redshirt, coming off a knee injury. The only other Large Back on the roster.
Dee Hart - RS Sophomore (potential to get a 6th year, having had 2 season ending injuries back to back) Having both knees torn in 2 years, puts him in jeopardy of ever getting back on the field, let alone reach his original potential. I'm sure Douchebag Michigan fans are happy with his misfortune.
Kenyan Drake - Sophomore. Closer in skill to Tyren Jones than Henry
Blake Sims - Junior. I list him, because it's unknown what his future is. Yes, he's the backup QB in 2012, but his throwing skill leaves alot to be desired, whereas he has great runningback skills. Could see him move back to RB with Morris off his redshirt year and the incoming Bateman/Del Rio/McCleod.
Brent Calloway - Sophomore. Who knows what he'll be. He's bouncing between RB, H-Back, and Defense. Maybe he should have went to Auburn in the first place.

So, the incoming RB's (Henry for sure, and currently Tenpenny and T. Jones are committed, with Kamara sitting out there as well), say all of them come to Alabama. If they all redshirt this season (2013), they'd see action in 2014, where:

Yeldon is a JR (and will probably be his last season)
Fowler is either gone or on his last season
Hart could be on his last season, 2 years left, or might already be gone (transferred, medical scholarship, quit football)
Drake is on his JR Year, and who knows, if he blows up in the backup spot this year, could also be on his last season in 2014.
Blake Sims would be on his last season
Calloway would be a Junior, and could be in some other position, or might have transferred.

So, these 4 guys, by their Redshirt Sophomore year, could be the top 4 RB's on the team.

It's not an insurmountable depth chart, as long as they're okay with being redshirted. Whether RB's go there or not doesn't really matter to me, but if they come to UGA they're not being redshirted and will probably see the field this season. Richt said he would never redshirt a top RB recruit after making that mistake with Moreno and missing out on having him for at least 3 years.

About Dee Liner, he was only listed as being interested in Bama at this point since it's the only school he'd taken an official visit to. I think most were assuming he was going to Bama. Stealing somebody may not have been the right word. Especially since UGA didn't initiate contact, but they were definitely interested when he called. Looks like a good recruit if they can get him.

Kiffin is accepting some blame for USC's failures this last season. That's big of him.

Lonestar

Well, Lacy was redshirted :p Alabama's established rate of return on the RB's, is ok with 2 years of service.

andycapps

Well, Lacy was redshirted :p Alabama's established rate of return on the RB's, is ok with 2 years of service.

Bama definitely develops great RB's, no question about that. Richt just wants to get 3 years minimum out of his RB's from Moreno on. If they're as good as a Gurley or Lacy, they're gone after 3 years on campus anyway. Derrick Henry will be gone after 3. He'll be a good one.

mre

Bama definitely develops great RB's, no question about that. Richt just wants to get 3 years minimum out of his RB's from Moreno on. If they're as good as a Gurley or Lacy, they're gone after 3 years on campus anyway. Derrick Henry will be gone after 3. He'll be a good one.

He might not even be a RB for us.

Lonestar

What else would he be? H-back? Fullback?

I've wondered if they're looking at him for defense. Cause at the rate of growth these guys have in college, he could go from his current 240 lbs to near 260. Did he play defense in HS?

mre

I've wondered if they're looking at him for defense. Cause at the rate of growth these guys have in college, he could go from his current 240 lbs to near 260. Did he play defense in HS?

The man had 80 carries a game. I doubt he played defense as well.

Draxal

Kyle Flood is as shitty a recruiter as he is a head coach.

Nothing but projects. Still, the idiots on the Rivals board are defending him. It's even gotten to the point where the moderators delete/lock any threads criticizing him.

Makes me happy that we have fair moderation on NEOGAF, and not this crony moderation shit that exists on most message boards, because mods are more concerned about retaining access than discussion.

Oh there's a lot of criticism of him on the boards that are valid, and I'm not really pleased how recruiting is going on. But, #1 recruits do read those boards, tigerdroppings, warchant and all that stuff, they don't read neogaf #2 some of the criticism is just echo chamber stuff, I don't need somebody to somebody read the same thing the #3000th time. You aren't RUinSC are you?

ChiTownBuffalo

Alright, we got a verbal from a RB that was being heavily recruited by Harvard and Yale!

In a perfect world, the team will all be engineers, who play well.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Don't worry, if Ole Miss is cheating Miss. St. will ferret out proof. They are now claiming that Chris Jones, 5* DE from Houston, MS, visited Oxford last weekend as a double agent to get proof of cheating. Hell, Jackie Sherrill still has a lawsuit pending against the NCAA and others alleging that the lead NCAA investigator had an affair with an Ole Miss booster during his investigation.

mre

No tinfoil hat required to see they're cheating.

They're either paying their recruits, or Hugh Freeze gives an amazing blowjob.

Would that be a violation if Hugh Freeze gives blow jobs to every Ole Miss student?

LosDaddie

Banned
UGA Lineman, Watts Dantzler, via twitter:

"This is what I say to Tornados"​

BB3tf2oCEAASgXN.jpg:large

I have a new favorite non-Bama player.

The shotgun does offset the moobs.

I am so out of the loop this year with FSU's recruiting. All the coaching turnover has pretty much destroyed any chances we had with many targets.

Top 10 if FSU is lucky. Current at #19 on Rivals. :lol

Oh there's a lot of criticism of him on the boards that are valid, and I'm not really pleased how recruiting is going on. But, #1 recruits do read those boards, tigerdroppings, warchant and all that stuff, they don't read neogaf #2 some of the criticism is just echo chamber stuff, I don't need somebody to somebody read the same thing the #3000th time. You aren't RUinSC are you?

No.

I post sparingly on those boards. I know better than to be critical on those boards. It gets you targeted by a a whole slew of 60 year old guys with the maturity of 12 year olds.

Regardless, recruits don't give a shit about criticism. I'm also sure recruits read NEOGAF. After all, this is one of the most popular message boards on the internet.

Lonestar

What the hell. I figured if any of these big recruits were a shoe in it was him. They're gonna get bitch slapped by the NCAA in a few years. But..

caminvestigation_zps7a5d6c48.gif

I've heard that he told the Nickedeme (I can't spell!) family he was going to Ole Miss. UGA has apparently gone and offered another OT out there, sounding like a Plan B type situation.

andycapps

I've heard that he told the Nickedeme (I can't spell!) family he was going to Ole Miss. UGA has apparently gone and offered another OT out there, sounding like a Plan B type situation.

Nkemditche (sp?)? Kemdeechee is how you say it, that's all I know. Wouldn't shock me, but until those guys fax in the letters, so much can change. These kids get hyped up with a visit or with talking to somebody, but who knows how many times they'll change their mind between now and the 6th.

How else does one explain what Ole Miss is doing here other than recruiting violations? It appears that they're coming in and taking 5 star players from teams that actually compete for conference championships.. I know the Grove is sick, and Mississippi girls are hot, but I would think these guys would care about championships and getting drafted. Ole Miss isn't doing much of either.

Reuben Foster will announce on Fox Sports recruiting show that starts at 10 PM on Monday. And no one will care.

mre

How else does one explain what Ole Miss is doing here other than recruiting violations? It appears that they're coming in and taking 5 star players from teams that actually compete for conference championships.. I know the Grove is sick, and Mississippi girls are hot, but I would think these guys would care about championships and getting drafted. Ole Miss isn't doing much of either.

I'm not sure how the Grove even comes into it at this point for these winter official visits.

Lonestar

Still gonna be funny that no matter what, Ole Miss has no chance for a better than 3rd place finish in the West. Has to get past LSU, Alabama, and Manzeiel.

andycapps

I'm not sure how the Grove even comes into it at this point for these winter official visits.

I guess those Mississippi girls make up for a lot then.

Lonestar said:
Still gonna be funny that no matter what, Ole Miss has no chance for a better than 3rd place finish in the West. Has to get past LSU, Alabama, and Manzeiel.

Exactly. They are the Vandy of the west now. They are good enough to spoil one of those teams seasons, but they're not winning the division and will likely lose to 2 out of those 3.

Guileless

Om was second in the West in '08 and blew late leads against A&M and LSU last season with a pedestrian 7-6 team. Its not completely outside the realm of possibility.

This class is a perfect storm where we got lucky with connections to big-time recruits and we have a young staff specifically assembled for recruiting that hasn't gotten burned out or complacent yet. Ole Miss isn't winning bidding wars for out of state 5 stars Barry Switzer style.

andycapps

Om was second in the West in '08 and blew late leads against A&M and LSU last season with a pedestrian 7-6 team. Its not completely outside the realm of possibility.

This class is a perfect storm where we got lucky with connections to big-time recruits and we have a young staff specifically assembled for recruiting that hasn't gotten burned out or complacent yet. Ole Miss isn't winning bidding wars for out of state 5 stars Barry Switzer style.

You essentially said the same thing I did, that Ole Miss will be good enough to spoil a top team, but probably not consistent enough to win the division. If you put several years of that together with great recruiting, they could eventually make a run at the division. Ole Miss football has definitely improved quite a bit. Used to be a guaranteed win, now it's a game that I'd look at as a trap.

Shaq Wiggins (UGA commit) posted on Twitter a little bit ago that he needed Tunsil's number as he'd lost it. He's been the main ringleader at UGA this year as far as rallying their recruits. So I'm sure he's on the phone with Tunsil right now.

Guileless

It would certainly require luck with timing, scheduling, and close games. That's how MSU did it in 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom