• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Om was second in the West in '08 and blew late leads against A&M and LSU last season with a pedestrian 7-6 team. Its not completely outside the realm of possibility.

This class is a perfect storm where we got lucky with connections to big-time recruits and we have a young staff specifically assembled for recruiting that hasn't gotten burned out or complacent yet. Ole Miss isn't winning bidding wars for out of state 5 stars Barry Switzer style.

2008 featured a 5 loss LSU team, and 7 loss Auburn and Arkansas. So Ole Miss finished 4th in the entire SEC (behind Florida, Alabama and Georgia). Weeeeeeee

Ole Miss better not end up in Birmingham in January anytime soon...

bluemax

Banned
So I have a question. This week I was in Texas and someone I talked to there was convinced that Kevin Sumlin really wanted and possibly would still take the USC job. Has anyone ever heard him express interest in USC? I'd never heard anything of the sort.

Draxal

No.

I post sparingly on those boards. I know better than to be critical on those boards. It gets you targeted by a a whole slew of 60 year old guys with the maturity of 12 year olds.

Regardless, recruits don't give a shit about criticism. I'm also sure recruits read NEOGAF. After all, this is one of the most popular message boards on the internet.

This is one of the more popular boards, but let's face it cfbgaf is rather a small piece of GAF overall. And for the recruits thing it's more about the family, see Tom Savage's father fight in the stands and the fallout from that, and in recruiting family already hurt us this year with Skai Moore's family (although that had 100% nothing to do with the boards).

cashman

Banned
So I have a question. This week I was in Texas and someone I talked to there was convinced that Kevin Sumlin really wanted and possibly would still take the USC job. Has anyone ever heard him express interest in USC? I'd never heard anything of the sort.

He would probably leave if he's offered to coach there. It's not like A&M is a destination job.

andycapps

This is one of the more popular boards, but let's face it cfbgaf is rather a small piece of GAF overall. And for the recruits thing it's more about the family, see Tom Savage's father fight in the stands and the fallout from that, and in recruiting family already hurt us this year with Skai Moore's family (although that had 100% nothing to do with the boards).

I don't think most recruits really care what fans say. Most of them are really full of themselves from being the best player by far in any of the games they've played and think they're going to walk in and start over everybody that's been there for several years. They don't realize they're about to be playing with people that are as good, or better, than they are. So yeah, I think most of these kids think they're so good they can beat anybody (and a few of them can), but I don't think they really care what random people on a message board say.

Lonestar

only way recruits, or any football players view this, is if they are major gaming nerds, at least at one point in their life.

Then they come here, and learn to hate videogames, like 90% of us have. Because that's what this place does.

Draxal

I don't think most recruits really care what fans say. Most of them are really full of themselves from being the best player by far in any of the games they've played and think they're going to walk in and start over everybody that's been there for several years. They don't realize they're about to be playing with people that are as good, or better, than they are. So yeah, I think most of these kids think they're so good they can beat anybody (and a few of them can), but I don't think they really care what random people on a message board say.

Alot of it depends on the kids too, SEC schools target different types of players then the rest of the country, but thick skin is a commonality for the majority of the kids like you and sirpop say.

They also don't have the time to troll message boards as frequently as their family does, and family gets ugly when they don't get their way (who is that Bama player from Lousisania whose mom freaked out over him going to Bama?)

Lonestar

Alot of it depends on the kids too, SEC schools target different types of players then the rest of the country, but thick skin is a commonality for the majority of the kids like you and sirpop say.

They also don't have the time to troll message boards as frequently as their family does, and family gets ugly when they don't get their way (who is that Bama player from Lousisania whose mom freaked out over him going to Bama?)

Landon Collins :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
Some people on GAF definitely have an inflated sense of how popular the forum is. It's actually very niche, despite the amount of people posting & lurking.

Draxal

Landon Collins :lol

Man, that should of been a candidate for gif of the year, it was such an amazing moment.

landon_collins_mom_original_crop_exact.jpg

Lonestar

Some people on GAF definitely have an inflated sense of how popular the forum is. It's actually very niche, despite the amount of people posting & lurking.

Well, 30th in the world (according to Big Board) ain't too bad. Though, behind some strange "boards", but the obvious 4chan and SA.

KingGondo

Banned
This class is a perfect storm where we got lucky with connections to big-time recruits and we have a young staff specifically assembled for recruiting that hasn't gotten burned out or complacent yet. Ole Miss isn't winning bidding wars for out of state 5 stars Barry Switzer style.
Imma go ahead and use Occam's Razor here: Ole Miss went from an utterly mediocre program to possibly putting together the top recruiting class in the country out of nowhere.

Perfect storm, or... they're cheating. Which is more likely?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
2008 featured a 5 loss LSU team, and 7 loss Auburn and Arkansas. So Ole Miss finished 4th in the entire SEC (behind Florida, Alabama and Georgia). Weeeeeeee

Ole Miss better not end up in Birmingham in January anytime soon...

2008 also featured 12-0 Alabama and 11-1 Florida (which lost to Ole Miss in the Tebow Sobs game). So it was top heavy with lots of losses among lower teams, like 2012. But there have been years where divisional winners have had 2 or even 3 losses. Not lately though.

Lonestar

Imma go ahead and use Occam's Razor here: Ole Miss went from an utterly mediocre program to possibly putting together the top recruiting class in the country out of nowhere.

Perfect storm, or... they're cheating. Which is more likely?

Add this to your theory: Ole Miss has a great shot of getting the #1, 2, and 3 recruits in the entire country.

At least going by 247sports player rankings (Robert N. and Tunsil are generally considered top 10/top 5 players, and Chris Jones has a bit more slide to him-some sites have him outside the top 10).

2008 also featured 12-0 Alabama and 11-1 Florida (which lost to Ole Miss in the Tebow Sobs game). So it was top heavy with lots of losses among lower teams, like 2012. But there have been years where divisional winners have had 2 or even 3 losses. Not lately though.

Yeah, that year was top heavy, and Ole Miss had enough umph to get past the rest of the mediocre teams, and finish 4th. With a hot QB (Snead, who should have left after that year, rather than staying for a horrible final season the next year)

12205055-large.jpeg

Found a picture of this infamous SWAT warehouse. Yep...maybe CNN was right to drop SI in favour of Bleacher Report...

KingGondo

Banned
Add this to your theory: Ole Miss has a great shot of getting the #1, 2, and 3 recruits in the entire country.

At least going by 247sports player rankings (Robert N. and Tunsil are generally considered top 10/top 5 players, and Chris Jones has a bit more slide to him-some sites have him outside the top 10).
I wouldn't really give a shit if they hadn't paid of Laquon Treadwell.

At least we're deep and talented at WR, but it's still galling for us to get beat out for a WR by Ole Fucking Miss.

Draxal

Expansion News:

Prevailing thought is that the Big 10 is going to strike first (McMurphy from Espn, the czar of realignment, and Matt Hayes from TSN) to grab from the ACC. The Big 12 and Sec will strike afterwards.

The problem is that the most likely targets for the Big 10 from the ACC are ACC either tobacco road diehards (Virginia/NC) or would much rather join the SEC (no chance in hell) or a south eastern bloc BIG 12 (much more likely) in Gtech. While the school that mostly wants to get out isn't a prime Big 10 candidate (FSU).

Basically, Big is going to leak nonstop rumors off ACC teams going to the BIG/B12/SEC to loosen that rock.

Ole miss are only 13th in recruiting on espn site.

I hope they aren't cheating, just because it would be good to watch a team topple one of ala, Lsu or tam from top three in that conference.

Guileless

Om leads for Tunsil and Nkemdiche but it's not over. Nkemdiche is visiting LSU this weekend. Chris Jones is going to Miss. St.

KingGondo

Banned
Ole miss are only 13th in recruiting on espn site.

I hope they aren't cheating, just because it would be good to watch a team topple one of ala, Lsu or tam from top three in that conference.
They're only 13th, but they have a pretty good shot at several more stud recruits. If they get one or two of those guys, they'll probably have a borderline top-5 class.

andycapps

Rumors I'm seeing now are a couple, that Ole Miss offered Tunsil's girlfriend a scholarship when they were both there. Another rumor is some dude that is on football staff at his school and claims he's still solid UGA. Still no clue.

Guileless

I believe that. Nutt's and most of Orgeron's classes were full of grade and character risks that did not produce on the field. They were generally ranked in the high teens.

Here's some insight on Ole Miss recruiting tactics from Vandy's WR coach via Twitter:

Josh Gattis @thenewVUgattis
How can a coach tell a recruit about how religous they are then surround you around women the minute you step on campus?Its about education!

Haw.

Lonestar

I believe that. Nutt's and most of Orgeron's classes were full of grade and character risks that did not produce on the field. They were generally ranked in the high teens.

Here's some insight on Ole Miss recruiting tactics from Vandy's WR coach via Twitter:

Josh Gattis @thenewVUgattis
How can a coach tell a recruit about how religous they are then surround you around women the minute you step on campus?Its about education!

Haw.

I've seen some talk that he might be talking about Auburn (RB Ford decommitting from Vandy and potentially going to AU). Not sure if the WR coach was Ford's recruiter or not.

andycapps

Apparently Tunsil's coach commented on Ole Miss' recruiting practices but it's all behind pay walls. Anybody hear about that?

Coach Freeze going on the defensive minutes ago.

@CoachHughFreeze: If you have facts about a violation, send it to compliance@olemiss.edu. If not, please do not slander these young men or insult their family

Guileless

I read it. He just said the OM coaches were younger than most staffs and related well to the players, and that all three staffs recruiting Tunsil had done a good job.

Lonestar

Apparently Tunsil's coach commented on Ole Miss' recruiting practices but it's all behind pay walls. Anybody hear about that?

Coach Freeze going on the defensive minutes ago.

think him talking about recruits is a violation, best send it to Indianapolis.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Latest scuttlebutt on Liner is that he isn't making the trip to Athens.

Also, Freeze is waaaaaay too defensive there.

andycapps

Latest scuttlebutt on Liner is that he isn't making the trip to Athens.

Also, Freeze is waaaaaay too defensive there.
Agree about Freeze, hadn't heard that about Liner yet but if I see anything tonight I'll post. Have a wedding to go to in this frigid weather. Bleh.

Guileless

The whole internets is accusing Freeze of being dirtier than Switzer and the bad guy from Road House put together.

Lonestar

The whole internets is accusing Freeze of being dirtier than Switzer and the bad guy from Road House put together.

how dare you lower Barry Switzer's good name to the level of Mr. Freeze. Mr. Freeze has no human emotion, and will kill anyone in his path. Mr. Freeze must be opposed, before it's too late.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well you did beat Rutgers for Yuri Wright last year, you can put that feather in your cap.

To be fair, Yuri did that to himself.

This week in crazy posters on Rivals message boards watch:

I take back any comments I made about the Penn State fan base being crazier than the Rutgers fan base:

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=162326782&mid=162326782&sid=988&style=2

In that thread, crazy conservatives who post on Rutgers boards complain about the school naming a cyber terrorism center after Tyler Clementi. Keep in mind the Rutgers message boards were home to quite a few alums white knighting Dharun Ravi throughout the whole ordeal as some innocent kid who had nothing to do with Clementi's suicide.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, gonna get banned again.

I get the impression Major Applewhite didn't settle for a BJ from the co-ed. He went All. The. Way. TOUCHDOWN TEXAS!! But apparently our athletic department punished him for the extramarital affair w/student back in 2009 so I don't know why they decided to release the information now. I thought all athletic departments would have learned by now that full disclosure from the onset is the only way to avoid a maximum punishment. Withholding info, even in minor cases is a no-no from the NCAA's standpoint

I get the impression Major Applewhite didn't settle for a BJ from the co-ed. He went All. The. Way. TOUCHDOWN TEXAS!! But apparently our athletic department punished him for the extramarital affair w/student back in 2009 so I don't know why they decided to release the information now. I thought all athletic departments would have learned by now that full disclosure from the onset is the only way to avoid a maximum punishment. Withholding info, even in minor cases is a no-no from the NCAA's standpoint

Bev Kearney lawsuit.

She was fired for having a relationship about it and apparently not telling the administration. She is now suing the AD over it, and this was probably going to be the centerpiece of her lawsuit.

Bev Kearney lawsuit.

She was fired for having a relationship about it and apparently not telling the administration. She is now suing the AD over it, and this was probably going to be the centerpiece of her lawsuit.
So basically she got fired over it and not Applewhite? And he got a promotion basically?

:jnc

So, after reading up on things:

Bev Kearney, women's track coach, was fired for having a relationship with student athlete in 2002, and never reported it. She was fired over it last year, and is currently suing the school.

Her lawyer, working on a gender and race discrimination lawsuit, filed a FOIA request, probably based on things "known" in the AD.

Major Applewhite had a relationship with a student at the 2009 Fiesta Bowl. He informed Dodds, and "punished him" for it, including a salary freeze for the rest of 2009. However, not much is known past that at the moment.

Did Dodds inform the Board of Regents? Has Major been playing by the books since the relationship? Was the punishment apt? Was Bev fired out of convenience?

Board of Regents will have a meeting on Sunday, and we will find out more then. Well, besides the whole Super Bowl thing.

I think Bev is getting PAID, but I don't know about everything else.

So basically she got fired over it and not Applewhite? And he got a promotion basically?

She was fired for not disclosing her relationship with a student athlete she coached. He had a liaison with a student (nothing else is known about her yet), and he disclosed it.

cashman

Banned

She got fired over have a relationship with a student athlete that she coaches. Applewhite had a relationship with a co-ed and got a one year salary freeze. If the girl is part of the AD then Dodds is probably gone and Applewhite too.

I see. But even if the woman was not under the AD and just a normal student, it could still cause issues.

For instance, the university I work for has a clear rule that staff can't be involved with students at all.

If Applewhite did and it is a general UT rule and Dodds didn't inform the BOT, they could still be screwed. BOT doesn't call an emergency meeting over info they already know.

cashman

Banned
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
In a statement, UT board of regents indicated it had just learned with "great disappointment and sadness" of reprimand given to Applewhite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom