• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. But even if the woman was not under the AD and just a normal student, it could still cause issues.

For instance, the university I work for has a clear rule that staff can't be involved with students at all.

If Applewhite did and it is a general UT rule and Dodds didn't inform the BOT, they could still be screwed. BOT doesn't call an emergency meeting over info they already know.

Yeah we do too. I only know this because one of my friendzoned female friends had a crush on her professor and looked into it. According to the code of conduct professors are not allowed to have a relationship with a student because it's a "conflict of interest". I think TA's are fair game though

confusingjazz said:
Her lawyer, working on a gender and race discrimination lawsuit, filed a FOIA request, probably based on things "known" in the AD.

Yikes, you're right she will probably get paid. Even if Applewhite was not hooking up with a co-ed within the AD, lets look at the simplified facts here.

Major Applewhite: White, male, coach, had sex with female UT coed, pay freeze as punishment
Bev Kearney: Black, famale, coach, had sex with male UT student, fired as punishment.

It probably was never a race/gender issue, but I assume it will be tried as such. I'm sure this decision had more to do with which sport said coach was coaching (track vs. football). Either way, it's discrimination. The track coach shouldn't get a more severe punishment for essentially the same violation than a football coach just because football is more important to the athletic department. The AD needs to be consistent with their punishment across all athletics.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah we do too. I only know this because one of my friendzoned female friends had a crush on her professor and looked into it. According to the code of conduct professors are not allowed to have a relationship with a student because it's a "conflict of interest". I think TA's are fair game though

Yikes, you're right she will probably get paid. Even if Applewhite was not hooking up with a co-ed within the AD, lets look at the simplified facts here.

Major Applewhite: White, male, coach, had sex with female UT coed, pay freeze as punishment
Bev Kearney: Black, famale, coach, had sex with male UT student athlete she coached, fired as punishment.

It probably was never a race/gender issue, but I assume it will be tried as such. I'm sure this decision had more to do with which sport said coach was coaching (track vs. football). Either way, it's discrimination. The track coach shouldn't get a more severe punishment for essentially the same violation than a football coach just because football is more important to the athletic department. The AD needs to be consistent with their punishment across all athletics.
I added and bolded an important distinction based upon what we currently know. This distinction goes away if Applewhite's side dish was an employee of the athletic department, but if she was just a general member of the student population, then this difference will be crucial. Built into this comment is an assumption that UT doesn't prohibit all professor-student relationships, merely those relationships where the professor has that student in one of his or her classes, thus creating the "conflict of interest" previously mentioned.

cashman

Banned
Was just about to post about that. Best recruit from the Texas class too :(

I just hope they are able to land Billings. (unlikely)

I don't even care anymore, do you guys want Raulerson and Darius James too? Saban may be a two timing sleezeball but at least he knows how to develop his players.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oh hey guys, what's going on?

Hearing Alabama might have gotten Tony Conner, so we're getting some fight back on this Ole Miss Dynasty

mre

I don't even care anymore, do you guys want Raulerson and Darius James too? Saban may be a two timing sleezeball but at least he knows how to develop his players.
I don't think we have room to take anyone else. Apparently that 4* DB we stole from Nebraska isn't going to be allowed to even sign a LOI because (1) he didn't keep up his end of the bargain by getting his grades up and (2) stupid SEC prevent you from taking the LOI of more than 25 recruits, even if you know some will not have the grades to qualify this year. Past years we would have signed him and placed him in a prep or juco school. Now he may just be on his own.

I don't think we have room to take anyone else. Apparently that 4* DB we stole from Nebraska isn't going to be allowed to even sign a LOI because (1) he didn't keep up his end of the bargain by getting his grades up and (2) stupid SEC prevent you from taking the LOI of more than 25 recruits, even if you know some will not have the grades to qualify this year. Past years we would have signed him and placed him in a prep or juco school. Now he may just be on his own.

But aggy has like 40 recruits with 10 of them being grade risks (approx.). Why is the SEC giving them a pass?

mre

But aggy has like 40 recruits with 10 of them being grade risks (approx.). Why is the SEC giving them a pass?
They can only sign 25 + whatever number they were able to backcount to last year. If some of their guys are grade risks, then they just won't sign come Wednesday.

Lonestar

@GregO_ESPN: RT @EddieVanderdoes: Man I love it out here in T-Town. Idk why everyone was saying I wouldn't love the South haha I fit in perfect here.

And now my recruiting Boner won't go down. I'll give it another hour or 2, then I'll head to the ER for emergency recruiting Boner draining.

cdyhybrid

I've stopped paying attention at this point. Jordan Payton flipping his commitment 3 times in the last week kinda burned me out. Just too much going on in the final week/weekend.

andycapps

Word is that Zander Ogletree (Alec's brother, a fullback) might have done something stupid enough to get kicked off the team today. No official word yet and I don't know what he did. Would guess it involved alcohol.

Lonestar

There's that.

Supposedly Tunsil was talking to UGA coaches a lot today. It's not over. And if Bama gets that DT out from under USC or whoever, that's nuts.

Yeah, if Alabama finishes with him, Robinson, and Connor, you can have Kamara, Tunsil, whoever else, Ole Miss or Georgia, I don't give fuuuuuucks

mre

Apparently, Reuben Foster is back in Tuscaloosa after visiting Auburn and allegedly having a current Auburn player call him a "racial slur."

This time of the year is crazy.

Lonestar

Ole Miss can crow all they want, but Alabama is King of the lolwut End of the Recruiting Season.

Aside observation, watching Kevin Spacey's TV show, House of Cards. His Character = Nick Saban. Cunning, gets what he wants, perfect planner, and possible not a human being.

tokkun

I have always thought of Saban as Randall Flagg from The Stand miniseries.

And Manti, of course, is Tom Cullen.

xmoHa2d.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

andycapps

Ole Miss can crow all they want, but Alabama is King of the lolwut End of the Recruiting Season.

Aside observation, watching Kevin Spacey's TV show, House of Cards. His Character = Nick Saban. Cunning, gets what he wants, perfect planner, and possible not a human being.
Only watched the first episode, but so far it's amazing.

Lonestar

Only watched the first episode, but so far it's amazing.

finished Episode 6 about 15 minutes ago. Hasn't let up yet, but Francis/Frank is finally starting to go "too far." I was totally with him on wanting payback for a gigantic renege of a gigantic promise (of cabinet position), but he's pretty cruel :lol

I'll send you a FR. Don't follow or tweet much, but hey, shits and giggles

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So how hard will it be to score a pair of tickets to an Alabama game this year. My dad is retiring and I'd like for the two of us to go to a game as a celebration. I'm guessing stub hub or something like that?

mre

So how hard will it be to score a pair of tickets to an Alabama game this year. My dad is retiring and I'd like for the two of us to go to a game as a celebration. I'm guessing stub hub or something like that?
What type of game are we talking about?

Lonestar

Georgia State games and the like, Stubhub is fine.

Conference game, and you might want to consider finding one on the street right before the game...

Or just have a nice wad of disposable cash

Lonestar

I think it's much ado about nothing. I am not worried about it in the least. For all we know, RF told the coaches he was bored with what was going on and got a call from a friend in Tuscaloosa about something fun going on over there. It's not like there is anything about Auburn he doesn't already know it has heard from his numerous visits.
Whatever the outcome, I am not worried. We will get who we get. I have faith in this coaching staff.
War Eagle!

From an Auburn board.

Had to bold that, hilarious that someone believes that. 2+ hour drive, while on a campus visit, drive to your rivals campus because something "fun" might be going on... :jnc

mre

From an Auburn board.

Had to bold that, hilarious that someone believes that. 2+ hour drive, while on a campus visit, drive to your rivals campus because something "fun" might be going on... :jnc
I wonder if it was a sock hop. Man, I love me some sock hops.

So the Board of Regents should be meeting right now. Hopefully reports on what was decided will come out before I go to my brother's Super Bowl party, because my reasoned, well thought out opinions will turn into drunken rambling.

mre

So the Board of Regents should be meeting right now. Hopefully reports on what was decided will come out before I go to my brother's Super Bowl party, because my reasoned, well thought out opinions will turn into drunken rambling.
But will that be an improvement?

@kbohls: Texas regents are in their second hour of meeting in closed session via conference call. No regent is present; only Texas chancellor, staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom