• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger
Have confirmed that everyone in executive session is from UT system. No reps from university (i.e., no Powers, Dodds, Ohlendorf).

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any, any game at all. I don't care if they play Northwest Montana Polytechnic University of Wyoming.

Colorado State, Georgia State, and Chattanooga will probably be easy to get tickets for. My parents went to the Florida Atlantic game and had no problem getting decent tickets.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
If college football would adopt a playoff system like the NFL, then we would never get complete mismatches in championship games like we had in Bama-ND.

mre

It's a one score game late in the 3rd quarter. I guess I'm not seeing the point you're trying to make.
The point was there before the Auburn Tigers were substituted in for the Ravens during the blackout.

Damn you, the point was there.

If college football would adopt a playoff system like the NFL, then we would never get complete mismatches in championship games like we had in Bama-ND.

When has anyone that is not retarded claimed that a playoff would eliminate blowouts?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
speaking of Auburn:

Troll Tide (Posted on 2/3/13 at 3:02 p.m.)
christine teigen ?@chrissyteigen
I am presenting with Cam Newton at the NFL Honors in a couple hours worrrrd

christine teigen ?@chrissyteigen
Some butthead told me to say roll tide to cam newton. I was so proud to have something footbally to say to him. Fail!

Some model
510e58154393d.image.jpg

This one

mre

When has anyone that is not retarded claimed that a playoff would eliminate blowouts?
Perhaps not specifically, but we all know that it is said that once college football has a playoff system, then the sport will enter its golden age that will spread and be directly responsible for world peace finally and forever taking hold in this broken land.

I just assumed the elimination of blowouts was included in this Nirvana.

mre

So, Courtney Upshaw's last 4 years:

2009 MNC with Bama
2011 MNC with Bama
2012 Super Bowl win with the Ravens

Pretty damn good run.

andycapps

So, Courtney Upshaw's last 4 years:

2009 MNC with Bama
2011 MNC with Bama
2012 Super Bowl win with the Ravens

Pretty damn good run.
No doubt. Ellerbe from UGA had a great season with the Ravens too. Upshaw had a great forced fumble tonight.

Lonestar

It's why I always hope that the players you want the most, sign early. Cause while anything can happen, Henry, Bateman, and Howard are, at least, in school.

Oregon Commit Dontre Wilson (#5 RB in the nation) is set to switch to Ohio State today.

Vonn Bell is the final piece, race between OSU/Bama/Tennessee.

Recruiting is so fucking weird.

Texas might flip an LSU recruit after he randomly took a visit this weekend
Recruiting these days is insane. Multi-million dollar coaches harassing 17 and 18 year olds every hour of every day leading up to signing day is possibly the creepiest thing in all of sports. Add on top of that the money, drugs, girls, and pandering that go hand and hand with it and it gets really creepy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure Von Bell waited too long for Bama to take him. Could be wrong, but I expect him to sign elsewhere.

Assuming all the current commits sign, how many more can Bama even get? As many people as I've seen Bama picking up it seems like the class is probably about full.

mre

Assuming all the current commits sign, how many more can Bama even get? As many people as I've seen Bama picking up it seems like the class is probably about full.

Almost definitely:
Liner
Kamara
A'Shawn Robinson

Strong Chance:
Reed

Possible:
Vanderdoes
Conner
Foster

We will make room for all of the above. Bozeman is gray shirting because of injury. Walker Jones (Barrett's brother) has already said he will take a gray shirt and pay his own way. Cook and Paige may end up not being allowed to sign LOIs because they do not, currently, project to have the grades, or will be long shots to get their academics straight.

Lonestar

Think we're on full speed ahead for 25 incoming players. But there might be 27 commits, as I think Paige and Cook won't be able to qualify.

http://www.secrant.com/rant/p/39701455/OFFICIAL-NSD-Recruit-Tracker-Extravaganza-thread---Current-topic-pregame.aspx
Early Enrollees: Already signed LOI

1. Derrick Henry - 5 Star RB
2. OJ Howard - 5 Star TE
3. Cooper Bateman - 4 Star QB
4. Leon Brown - 4 Star Juco OT
5. Raheem Falkins - 4 Star WR
6. Brandon Hill - 3 Star Prep School OT
7. Parker McLeod - 3 Star QB

Commited: Waiting on LOI
8. Johnathan Allen - 5 Star LB
9. Robert Foster - 5 Star WR
10. Tyren Jones - 4 Star RB
11. Grant Hill - 4 Star OG
12. Ardarius Stewart - 4 Star ATH
13. Tim Williams - 4 Star DE
14. Maurice Smith - 4 Star CB
15. Eddie Jackson - 4 Star CB
16. Anthony Averett - 4 Star S
17. Cole Mazza - 2 Star LS

18. Darius Paige - 4 Star DT

Questionable Commits
19. Altee Tenpenny - 4 Star RB (Could Flip to Arkansas)
20. Walker Jones - 3 Star LB (Could be asked to Grayshirt)
21. Jonathan Cook - 4 Star CB (Grades could be an issue)

Uncomitted Targets
22. Alvin Kamara - 4 Star RB
23. A'Shawn Robinson - 5 Star OT/DL

24. Dee Liner - 4 Star DE
25. Eddie Vanderdoes - 5 Star DL
26. Reuben Foster - 5 Star LB
27. Tony Conner - 5 Star CB
28. Jarran Reed - 4 Star Juco DL
29. Vonn Bell - 5 Star S
30. Henry Poggi - 4 Star DT
31. Matthew Thomas - 5 Star LB
32. Montravius Adams - 5 Star DT

Gray Shirts
33. Bradley Bozeman - 3 Star OG

Preferred Walk-ons
34. Luke Del Rio - 3 Star QB
35. Jai Miller - S

Bold are what I'd call "probable signee's"

The 2 walk on's won't count, Bozeman's already going to greyshirt, which means he will defer enrolling till next year and won't count right now. I'd say Paige and Cook won't have the grades, Jones could greyshirt (probably will, if we get enough of the non-committed guys). Tenpenny still sounds like he wants to come to Alabama, but I won't fully believe it till his LOI comes in (probably should go to Arkansas, though I'd rather him be here rather than there).

A'Shawn all but committed when he told Texas he was going to Alabama.
Kamara's been in Tuscaloosa too much lately to not be coming.

So that's 19 not counting the 2 walk on's, 2 Greyshirts, 2 that won't make it, 2 that are pretty sure things, and one that might flip on Signing Day to Arkansas.

Of that larger list of uncommitted players, I don't feel confident in Bell, M. Adams and M. Thomas at all. Liner is probably also a sure thing to sign, but he's been alot quieter lately than Kamara and A'Shawn. Eddie V., Foster, Conner, Reed and Poggi are the wildcards.

Eddie V. sounds like he had a really good visit (the last one, see aforementioned posting about last visits). But yeah, ND, UCLA, and Bama people all believe he's coming to their respective schools.

Foster sounded good for Alabama, but his head's so messed up, who knows. His mom stayed at Auburn when he left, and I think she wants him to go to Auburn.

Conner sounds like he wants to go to Alabama, but his HS is notorious for pressuring players to go to Ole Miss. So 50/50 again,

Reed decommitted from Ole Miss, had a good visit @ Alabama, but now it sounds like Florida has a lead.

I've seen people say Poggi could Greyshirt at Alabama, and I don't understand that at all. Just kind of came out of nowhere.

So 20 (including Liner) with 5 hopefuls to get to 25. Any misses will move the greyshirts up to scholarships.

So, finally, yeah, Alabama will get in 25. It's the 85 overall that's the problem (as it usually is at Alabama ;P )

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's more detail that I expected. And I definitely agree on Foster, that kid doesn't seem to have any idea what he wants to do. Figured Kamara would be solid for Georgia given the RB situation at Bama.

Looks like a really good class overall.

Lonestar

2 days before Signing day and an Alabama fan? You're going to get alot more detail than anyone expects (or wants :p)

andycapps

That's more detail that I expected. And I definitely agree on Foster, that kid doesn't seem to have any idea what he wants to do. Figured Kamara would be solid for Georgia given the RB situation at Bama.

Looks like a really good class overall.

Kamara's going to Bama. He rightly or wrongly thinks, like all top recruits do, that he's good enough to climb the depth chart over other highly rated recruits.

Here's Georgia's list, according to Seth Emerson of Macon Telegraph (Target list is in order of likelihood of signing):

ALREADY ENROLLED (13)

DL John Atkins (6-4, 300) ........ Hargrave Military ... 3 stars
Originally signed last year but didn't qualify. A candidate to shore up line depth, or perhaps more.

OT Aulden Bynum (6-5, 270) ....... Valdosta ............ 3 stars
Bynum will need to put on weight before seeing the field, but getting in school early should help.

OG Josh Cardiello (6-3, 285) ..... Buford .............. 3 stars
The depth on the line should be better next season, so Cardiello is a redshirt candidate ... but you never know with someone enrolling early.

ILB Reggie Carter (6-2, 230) ..... Snellville .......... 4 stars
There's an opening at inside linebacker, and Carter will get a chance.

CB J.J. Green (5-9, 175) ......... Kingsland ........... 3 stars
Brice Ramsey's high school teammate at Camden County will figure into the mix in the secondary, as will practically anybody with a pulse.

S Tray Matthews (6-1, 192) ....... Newnan .............. 4 stars
The Bulldogs need two new starting safeties, and Matthews has a decent chance to be one of them. It would be a surprise if he's not at least playing off the bench in 2013.

S Quincy Mauger (6-0, 195) ....... Marietta ............ 3 stars
Another candidate to see the field at safety.

DL Chris Mayes (6-4, 330) ........ Mississippi GC CC ... 3 stars
The junior college prospect, who originally signed with Georgia two years ago, is in the mix for the vacant nose tackle spot.

QB Brice Ramsey (6-3, 197) .... Kingsland ........... 4 stars
Perhaps the team's quarterback of the future, depending on how he performs in practice.

ILB Ryne Rankin (6-1, 230) ....... Orlando, Fla. ....... 3 stars
Rankin was the first man on campus, practicing with the team before the bowl. He will try to be the new starter alongside the returning Amarlo Herrera.

WR Jonathon Rumph (6-5, 215) ..... Holmes C.C. (Miss.) . 4 stars
The native of Cayce, S.C., is a junior college prospect who could become an immediate member of the receiving rotation. He will immediately become the team's tallest receiver, with the graduation of Marlon Brown.

WR Tramel Terry (6-0, 192) ....... Goose Creek, S.C. ... 4 stars
Athletic prospect suffered ACL injury last month, has outside chance of playing in 2013. And with Ken Malcome's decision to transfer, Georgia could find a way to use Terry in the backfield.

CB Reggie Wilkerson (5-11, 175) ... Citra, Fla. ......... 4 stars
The Bulldogs also need depth at cornerback, and Wilkerson will get a shot.

COMMITMENTS (17)

S Paris Bostick (6-0, 217) ...... Tampa, Fla. ........... 3 stars
Georgia knew it had a void to fill: Bostick is one of four safeties either enrolled or committed.

TE Jordan Davis (6-3, 230) ....... Thomson .............. 3 stars
Georgia already has three guys set to play at tight end (Lynch, Rome, Flournoy-Smith) so a redshirt year appears in store for Davis, barring injury.

WR Reggie Davis (6-0, 158) ....... Tallahassee, Fla. .... 3 stars
Recent evidence shows Georgia will redshirt freshmen receivers (Blake Tibbs, Justin Scott-Wesley, Michael Bennett).

RB Brendan Douglas (5-10, 210) .... Augusta .... 3 stars.
Douglas came out of nowhere last week to become commitment No. 30 for the Bulldogs, reneging on his earlier commitment to Georgia Tech. He's probably ticketed for fullback, but if Georgia doesn't sign another tailback then he will get a hard look there too.

OLB Leonard Floyd (6-5, 240) ...... Hargrave Military ... 4 stars
Another player who originally signed last year, Floyd has a chance to compete for the spot opposite Jordan Jenkins, or to be Jenkins' main backup.

S Shaquille Fluker (6-1, 200) ..... East Mississippi CC . 3 stars
The junior college prospect will try to leapfrog Matthews, Mauger and others when he arrives this summer.

DT DeAndre Johnson (6-3, 310) ..... Newnan .............. 3 stars
A bulky player who will get a look at nose tackle. His nickname is "Moose," and therefore every writer is pulling for him to get the job.

WR Rico Johnson (5-10, 165) ...... Swainsboro ........... 3 stars
The speedy Johnson will also be a redshirt candidate because of the depth at receiver, but it figures that either Johnson or Davis could crack the rotation.

ILB Tim Kimbrough (5-11, 228) ..... Indianapolis ........ 4 stars
Another guy who will get a look at inside linebacker, a spot where Georgia is bringing in a lot of fresh blood. Georgia flew the school plane up to Indy to see Kimbrough on Monday morning.

CB Kennar Johnson (6-2, 185) ...... Mississippi GC CC ... 3 stars
Johnson has the height that Todd Grantham likes in his cornerbacks, but needs to put on some weight.

G-C Brandon Kublanow (6-2, 290) ..... Marietta ............ 4 stars
The center of the future? Kublanow has said he's been told by Georgia coaches he will work at guard in 2013, but also be cross-trained at center.

CB Brendan Langley (6-1, 180) ..... Marietta ............ 4 stars
A very good prospect who will compete for the nickel-back role next preseason.

WR Uriah LeMay (6-2, 200) ......... Matthews, N.C. ...... 3 stars
Even if he redshirts in 2013, Uriah LeMay may have a brighter long-term future than his brother Christian, who has struggled to climb the quarterback depth chart.

OLB Shaun McGee (6-3, 230) ........ Snellville .......... 3 stars
McGee's name doesn't get mentioned often for playing time, but if he puts on weight he could sneak in there.

ILB Johnny O'Neal (6-1, 233) ...... Dublin .............. 4 stars
Here's a wild card for the inside linebacker spot.

RB A.J. Turman (6-0, 205) ......... Orlando, Fla. ....... 4 stars
While Georgia is set with Gurshall, there is still a depth issue at tailback, especially with Malcome's transfer - which is why Turman can play in 2013. And now almost certainly will.

CB Shaq Wiggins (5-9, 160) ........ Tyrone .............. 4 stars
Wiggins is small for a cornerback in Todd Grantham's system - assuming it's still Grantham running the system this fall. But he's got athletic ability, so he figures to get a shot for playing time.

NOTABLE TARGETS

(Georgia can sign a total of 34, per my math, although no one at UGA has verified it. But the overall scholarship limit of 85 also comes into play. Check out the mailbag from Jan. 17 for an in-depth analysis on all that.)

DE Davin Bellamy (6-5, 235) ....... Atlanta ............. 4 stars
Bellamy, who finally de-committed from Florida State last week, has been thoroughly enjoying the recruiting process. He made a visit all the way to Oregon last weekend - do a Google search - but his final choice is likely either Georgia or Tennessee. Bellamy is due to announce on Wednesday.

OT George Adeosun (6-6, 296) .... Alpharetta .... 3 stars.
Here's a new name for Georgia. The apparent loss of Laremy Tunsil (more on him later) left an unexpected spot for another O-lineman. Adeosun, a native of Nigeria, is a raw talent with some upside.

DT Montravius Adams (6-4, 310) .... Vienna .............. 5 stars
Adams is down to four schools: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and Georgia. (I went alphabetical order there.) Based on reading the tea leaves, the Bulldogs have a little under a 50 percent shot. If they got Adams, he would immediately become a candidate to be in the nose tackle rotation in 2013. Adams' decision is set to be announced between 9-10 a.m. on ESPNU on Wednesday.

ILB Reuben Foster (6-1, 240) ...... Auburn, Ala. ........ 5 stars
Foster's decision should be known on Monday night, unless he changes his mind and pushes it back, which at this point is entirely possible.

TB Alvin Kamara (5-10, 195) ....... Norcross ............ 4 stars
Alabama has been regarded as the favorite for Kamara, but Georgia is still in it. He will announce on Wednesday at 3 p.m. on ESPNU.

DT Toby Johnson (6-4, 310) ........ Hutchinson CC (Kan.). 4 stars
Johnson suffered an ACL injury late last season, so his ability to play next season is uncertain. But he's a talent, and Georgia still wants him.

G Tyrone Crowder (6-1, 330) ....... Rockingham, N.C. .... 4 stars
All signs point to Crowder announcing for Clemson on Wednesday, when ESPNU will broadcast his decision at 4 p.m.

OT DeVondre Seymour (6-6, 300) .... Suwanee ............. 3 stars
The son of Richard Seymour is likely headed to prep school for one year, but Georgia wouldn't mind taking a chance that he qualifies.

ILB Myles Jack (6-2, 218) ...... Bellevue, Wash. ..... 4 stars.
From what's been reported, Jack doesn't have a scholarship offer from Georgia, but there has been contact. He's still committed to UCLA. But if Georgia were to decide to offer Jack in the next few days, it could get interesting.

DT Dee Liner ...... Muscle Shoals, Ala. .... 4 stars
Liner will announce his decision at noon on Wednesday on ESPNU. He reportedly is down to Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Georgia - which made a late visit to Liner late last week.

OT Laremy Tunsil (6-6, 295) ....... Lake City, Fla. ..... 5 stars
If Tunsil announces for Ole Miss on Wednesday - he is scheduled to reveal his choice the same hour as Adams - then this one will hurt for Georgia, which was regarded as the favorite for a very long time. But Ole Miss swooped in late and now is regarded as the heavy favorite.

OLB Matthew Thomas (6-3, 210) .... Miami ............ 4 stars
Thomas, another player announcing in that 9-10 a.m. hour on ESPNU, lists Georgia among his final five. But he hasn't had much contact with the Bulldogs lately.

mre

I would be willing to bet that, barring injury, Kamara ends up as a slot receiver for us.

Lonestar

Forgot to think about any of the Alabama EE's and back-counting to last years class. Probably didn't have many/any spots, but I've seen Brandon Hill being back-counted, which would open up a spot to take for this years.

KingGondo

Banned
Bama fans speculating about how many 5-star guys they'll get, and which awesome RB they'll get to be their 5th-string guy...

Meanwhile, OSU lost Treadwell to Ole Miss and may lose Fred Ross (another 4* WR) to Mississippi State. :(

andycapps

Bama fans speculating about how many 5-star guys they'll get, and which awesome RB they'll get to be their 5th-string guy...

Meanwhile, OSU lost Treadwell to Ole Miss and may lose Fred Ross (another 4* WR) to Mississippi State. :(

Ole Miss and Mississippi State confirmed to be better programs than OSU. :jnc

Lonestar

Hey, UGA and Bama are having problems with Ole Miss as well. Tunsil and Conner (more than likely).

krzy123

Looks like, and hopefully, zero drama for us this year, had 3/4 last year i think. Class has been set for a while, and this is suppose to be our best class ever (well by most accounts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom