• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
He liked his visit, but decided to stick with LSU

What sort of idiot wrote that headline and teaser paragraphs:

ESPN 150 DE Herron sticking with LSU
February, 4, 2013
FEB 4
2:28
PM CT
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Frank Herron (Memphis, Tenn./Central) drove 10 hours from Memphis, Tenn., to Austin, Texas, this weekend for a surprise official visit to Texas. Once the ESPN 300 defensive end got home from his long road trip, it didn’t take long for him to reach a final decision.

Herron is staying true to his eight-month pledge to LSU and still plans to sign with the Tigers on Wednesday.

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
What the fuck more do you really need to know?!

Fun fact. The black background of the pic in your avatar hides Coltrane's hair (as well as how tiny avatars are) and it looks like Michael Jordan with a sax instead. I like to think it secretly is.

And his sax is hiding his belly, which is really only impressive when you consider the amount of heroin in his system.

The second paragraph is "PSYCHE! He has now uncommitted"

Fun fact. The black background of the pic in your avatar hides Coltrane's hair (as well as how tiny avatars are) and it looks like Michael Jordan with a sax instead. I like to think it secretly is.

The lack of Hitler Mustache gives it away that it's not Jordan, though.

This much more!!!!

“I just got out of a meeting with him and his mom,” Memphis Central recruiting coordinator Bryan Williams said. “Frank is still committed to LSU. He’s going to be a Tiger.”

The 6-foot-4, 236-pound defensive end came away thoroughly impressed by what he saw during his trip to Texas. In the end, though, Herron felt he couldn’t turn his back on his longtime commitment at the last second.

“The visit gave him an opportunity to see something he hadn’t seen before, because he hadn’t taken any other visit,” Williams said. “He went to another great program and liked what he saw, but at the end of the day, LSU is where he wants to be and where he’s most comfortable.”

The Longhorns made a strong late push thanks to new running backs coach Larry Porter, who was head coach at Memphis in 2010 and 2011. Porter had a longtime relationship with Herron and convinced him to check out Austin while visiting him last week.

Herron left Austin on Sunday with plenty to think about, and some reports even emerged that Texas was now a serious contender to flip him from LSU.

“He was very impressed with Texas,” Williams said. “He was really surprised by what they had to offer. He’s been with LSU so long and he hadn’t had a chance to check any other places out. To see all that was eye-opening for him.”

But Williams said Texas coach Mack Brown didn’t pressure him on a commitment and even told him they wanted to make sure his mother -- who did not join Herron on the visit -- was on board.

“I appreciated that,” Williams said. “That lets me know how classy the program is.”

And, as is usually the case in recruiting, mama knows best. Williams said nobody is happier about Herron’s decision to stick with LSU than his mother.

LSU’s coaching staff was surprised by Herron’s decision to check out Texas but did not put any extra pressure on him to reaffirm his pledge.

“When you have a great product like LSU has, especially on the defensive line, I think they let him make his own decision,” Williams said. “They didn’t have to hammer the kid down or pressure him. His mom is the one that really made him make the best decision. His mom is on board.”

While Herron did tell some reporters that he was holding a press conference on Tuesday, Williams was adamant that’s not going to happen and he doesn’t expect Herron to have more second thoughts before signing day.

Herron is a critical cog of LSU’s No. 6 ranked recruiting class. The Tigers lost starting defensive ends Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery to the NFL draft and have assured Herron he’ll have a chance to play early in his career.

Williams is glad Herron is staying true to his word and sticking with the program that’s been recruiting him for years and was one of his first offers. But he and the rest of the Memphis Central coaching staff do hope Texas will continue to recruit the area hard now that Porter is a Longhorn assistant.

“I want to give Coach Brown kudos for doing it the right way and respecting Frank and his mom’s wishes,” Williams said. “I’m glad they’re reaching outside of Texas. It’s my wish and prayer they come back and recruit Memphis. We’re rich with talent and have great athletes.”

With Herron out of the picture and A'Shawn Robinson’s decision to decommit on Saturday, Texas has no defensive line recruits in its 2013 class. ESPN 300 lineman Andrew Billings is expected to announce his decision on Tuesday.

#breakingTheLaw

In today's incompetent Kyle Flood News:

Rutgers accepts a commitment today from an offensive line recruit. He gives the commitment to the OL coach.

Kid decommits three hours later. Apparently the OL coach was not on the same page with Kyle Flood.

Now, here's the kicker - there was only four uncommitted recruits on an official visit to Rutgers last week. You would think the staff would be on the same page regarding commitable offers, since they only need to track four players.

Dude has no business being a head coach. After he gets fired from Rutgers, his next job is going to be as a D1AA position coach.

Its fallen recently, but they still have a top 10 class due to the sheer numbers they have got so far. Second best class in the big 10, but thats give considering the big 10 is really just two recruiting powerhouses anymore.

gotcha

Henry Poggi, for some reason, might decide to greyshirt or even walk on at Alabama, rather than take a Michigan Scholarship. Possibly.

well god bless him, then. Most kids would rather have a good chance at starting, but I'm sure even Alabama's benchwarming can be fun. If there was any program to benchwarm at, it would be Alabama atm.

Pretty even between Oregon, tOSU, and Texas.

Oregon: chance to start immediately and play for the team with the best record in CFB the past 4 years. His 'heart' is in Oregon, according to him. System fits.

tOSU: Coming off a undefeated season. System fits. Late push. Classic flip scenario.

Texas: Texas recruit in Texas. Nuff said.

Should be interesting. He and 5* Thomas Tyner were supposed to be Oregon's two-headed RB attack along with DAT.

For what its worth, the Oregon and Texas insiders have all said hes is going to Ohio State. We shall find out tonight at 9pm PST.

cdyhybrid

This much more!!!!

#breakingTheLaw

Fuck the police.

In today's incompetent Kyle Flood News:

Rutgers accepts a commitment today from an offensive line recruit. He gives the commitment to the OL coach.

Kid decommits three hours later. Apparently the OL coach was not on the same page with Kyle Flood.

Now, here's the kicker - there was only four uncommitted recruits on an official visit to Rutgers last week. You would think the staff would be on the same page regarding commitable offers, since they only need to track four players.

Dude has no business being a head coach. After he gets fired from Rutgers, his next job is going to be as a D1AA position coach.

You guys should hire Tedford.

Well, Rutgers didn't bother to offer him at all even though his mom supposedly wanted him to go here (they basically told him to go somewhere else), and this is with Rutgers probaby having the worst FBS quarterback performance in a bowl game.

He went to a good school Bergen Catholic (same as Brian Cushing) and still got into trouble. Mind you most people think he's a good kid that does stupid shit, but they're worried about his throwing mechanics (and the thought was Florida was definitely going to make him a wr). He's a good get as he does get you into Bergen Catholic which is one of the factories in tri state (Garret Dickerson is going to be a stud next year).

Rutgers is in a fight with GT(former commit) and Arkansas(fat face) over Duwop(Dennis) Mitchell, good pro/spread qb from NJ. I'm betting he goes Arkansas.

Rutgers is also incompetent.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
7204d875011bd4a81300713489.png

Not the right sport and all, and I feel for her, but I have to imagine this has been the emotional level of Texas Fans, Post-Colt.

Yeah, negative change and that "e" on the end looks super awkward now. The rest of the branding looks fine, though. Or do you guys also have a problem with that?

On the downside, the outrage will be muted. Cal got their new logo overturned. Are you worse than a Cal Bear?

Yeah, negative change and that "e" on the end looks super awkward now. The rest of the branding looks fine, though. Or do you guys also have a problem with that?

On the downside, the outrage will be muted. Cal got their new logo overturned. Are you worse than a Cal Bear?

The academic stuff is fine. Safe, but fine.

osuacadjpg-5eed18885a46a326.jpg

I'll kinda miss the block, though.

They're going to have a helluva time getting rid of that thing, because it's everywhere.

The academic stuff is fine. Safe, but fine.

osuacadjpg-5eed18885a46a326.jpg

I'll kinda miss the block, though.

They're going to have a helluva time getting rid of that thing, because it's everywhere.

I feel like the new academic logo is too long... Awkwardly long. I like the former academic logo. And the change to the seal is ok, I guess. Not offensive at least.

And the BOLD athletics logo looks like absolute hell.

I feel like the new academic logo is too long... Awkwardly long. I like the former academic logo. And the change to the seal is ok, I guess. Not offensive at least.

And the BOLD athletics logo looks like absolute hell.
I think it's that long on purpose, so that the various colleges and schools can put their names underneath.

I see where they're going with it. The block O is an effective unifying symbol. Michigan seems to do about the same with their block M.

Talon

I think it's that long on purpose, so that the various colleges and schools can put their names underneath.

I see where they're going with it. The block O is an effective unifying symbol. Michigan seems to do about the same with their block M.
I assume that Michigan has been doing that forever.

It's really exhausting to see that shit everywhere.

I definitely think you guys should be taking your cues from Michigan

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Your Ole Miss recruiting update:

Nkemdiche & Tunsil still expected to sign with Ole Miss.
Conner is 50-50 between Ole Miss and Bama.
The Miss. St. 'crootin media is 100% certain that Chris Jones signs with Miss. St. If he doesn't they will be thoroughly humiliated. He has reported death threats over the weekend. Each fan base blames the other for that.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
If Tenpenny feels crowded, Arkansas has room for him.

I would actually be surprised if Tenpenny flipped. Hell, he blew off your in-home visit to work a part-time job at a burger joint.

Edit: plus you just landed Collins.

Garryk

I would actually be surprised if Tenpenny flipped. Hell, he blew off your in-home visit to work a part-time job at a burger joint.

Edit: plus you just landed Collins.

There's a joke to be made about Bielema and burgers, but I can't think of it right now. I'm going to bed.

Lonestar

Stop watching the recruiting boards for a couple hours, and come back to Tenpenny being a stronger commit and Re. Foster committing for the 8th time.

If he and Robert Foster make it to school, I guess we'll be seeing Ro. Foster and Re. Foster. jerseys.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511683

Cyan, if I go in here and go "Oregon...shocking." or "knew it'd be Oregon before I opened the topic" or some other variation, would I get away with it????

cashman

Banned
Inspirational story about a kid who beat cancer in the houston area

http://www.khou.com/news/Doctors-sa...lped-Cypress-teen-beat-cancer--189725901.html

"It's been a long year for him,” said neurosurgeon Robert Bollo, M.D., with Texas Children’s Hospital and the Baylor College of Medicine. “Having his skull taken apart, having to wear a helmet and go through chemotherapy and he's finally on the other side. So we're really happy for him."
Nolan’s one-year journey had a few other unexpected “miracles.” He got to meet Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt. At another event, he posed for pictures with country music star Jason Aldean. And as a Longhorn fan celebrating a now cancer-free life. we asked if he had any advice for his team.
“Yes sir,” the always polite young man responded. But he also laughed, “Fire Mack Brown!
”

Pineconn

Shit shit shit fuck fuck fuck. As an Ohio State student, I'll do whatever I can to get the old athletic logo back. I have no doubts that the student and alumni base will hate this. We're scarlet and gray, not magenta and gray and BLAAAACK.

I don't really care about the new academic logo. The square "The Ohio State University" was sort of second-hand to the block O.

LosDaddie

Banned
Jalen Ramsey to FSU.

Meyer still spends a lot of time down south so he's still going up against UGA, Bama and UF. Texas surely has to deal with A&M now, right? OU and USC are mostly safe.

Texas is going to be a nice case study on how powerful the SEC SEC SEC's draw is for recruits, even for rich schools like UT. I mean, Texas should be pulling in Top 5 classes every year, and be contending for MNCs every 3yrs or so. There's really no excuse otherwise.

Actually, Texas' top DT commit switched to Bama recently, and OU is having a lot of trouble getting D-line talent too. A&M has been the one destroying them recently.

Ohio State, USC and Oregon are lucky to be far, far away from SEC recruiting territory.

Indeed.

Lonestar

To be able to find out the truth about A&M's effect on UT, will probably come after they fire Mack and find someone with a heartbeat. Cause as it stands, A&M could have stayed in the Big XII, with Sumlin, and have the same effect, cause Mack has surpassed Mark Richt for "Mark Richt'itis."

A Pixar Animator's who has a website where he draws things.

andycapps

... so he'll be signing with UGA, right?

I'm thinking he switches back to Auburn. The kid is a head case.

Ballamy still has UGA in the lead, and Tunsil is still expected to sign with Ole Miss. I just wonder how many scholarships and jobs Ole Miss is giving out for each recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom