• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
Our friend Ted Roof has left Penn St to join Georgia Tech in his same position of defensive coordinator.

4th school in about a year for him...

"A second Tweet on Wednesday said that John Butler, a graduate of La Salle College High School who served this past season as Bill O’Brien’s secondary coach, had been promoted to defensive coordinator"

As yall are talking about schedules It'll be interesting to see if out perform expectations again. I got grim feelings for the next season despite being a easy schedule.

impirius

offseason :(

"A second Tweet on Wednesday said that John Butler, a graduate of La Salle College High School who served this past season as Bill O’Brien’s secondary coach, had been promoted to defensive coordinator"

As yall are talking about schedules It'll be interesting to see if out perform expectations again. I got grim feelings for the next season despite being a easy schedule.
John Butler did a decent job as the Gamecocks' special teams coach in 2011; that was the birth of Ace Sanders as a great punt returner. I'll be interested to see how the Penn State defense does next season.

307534_566719583342212_1416976041_n.jpg
Ran across this picture and I LOL'd. Go Gators!

TheNatural

My Member!
Look at this awesome fucking schedule we have next year:

Eastern Kentucky
Florida International
@ Kentucky
Ohio
Central Florida
Rutgers
Memphis
@ UCONN
@ South Florida
@ Cincinnati
And a 2 of 3 pick em home/away from the group of Temple, SMU, and Houston.

Mother. Fucker.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Eastern Kentucky
Florida International
@ Kentucky
Ohio
Central Florida
Rutgers
Memphis
@ UCONN
@ South Florida
@ Cincinnati

Mother. Fucker.

Earning that respect.

Just wait until you are in the ACC and you play the vaunted programs like UNC, Wake Forest and Miami.

Lol. Just kidding. Those programs suck.

TheNatural

My Member!
Earning that respect.

Just wait until you are in the ACC and you play the vaunted programs like UNC, Wake Forest and Miami.

Lol. Just kidding. Those programs suck.

At least we'll get FSU and Clemson. Most of the rest are at least not Temple or Memphis bad. Weird thing is, we've played many of the ACC teams already the past decades (UNC this year and last, Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl, beat FSU in 2002, Miami in 2006, etc.)

The best Louisville-ACC opponent story is that Duke pulled out of a game with us a few years ago and were supposed to find a replacement team for us and didn't. We sued Duke for the buyout fee, and Duke's lawyers defense in court was literally that Duke is so horrible in football that even 1-AA teams would be a better opponent than them. And the judge agreed with them.

Eastern Kentucky
Florida International
@ Kentucky
Ohio
Central Florida
Rutgers
Memphis
@ UCONN
@ South Florida
@ Cincinnati

Mother. Fucker.
That conference slate is blah I admit... But the shit tier OOC is on UL.

TheNatural

My Member!
That conference slate is blah I admit... But the shit tier OOC is on UL.

We can't get anyone to play us home and home. No one wants to play a Big East team, that could beat you but won't get much respect if you do beat, in a location that is not a recruiting hotbed. Once we join the ACC the conference and non conference will both get much better.

jakncoke

Banned
At least we'll get FSU and Clemson. Most of the rest are at least not Temple or Memphis bad. Weird thing is, we've played many of the ACC teams already the past decades (UNC this year and last, Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl, beat FSU in 2002, Miami in 2006, etc.)

The best Louisville-ACC opponent story is that Duke pulled out of a game with us a few years ago and were supposed to find a replacement team for us and didn't. We sued Duke for the buyout fee, and Duke's lawyers defense in court was literally that Duke is so horrible in football that even 1-AA teams would be a better opponent than them. And the judge agreed with them.

Poor Duke football fans

We can't get anyone to play us home and home. No one wants to play a Big East team, that could beat you but won't get much respect if you do beat, in a location that is not a recruiting hotbed. Once we join the ACC the conference and non conference will both get much better.

lol I don't fully buy that. The ACC is basically what the current BE is now anyway as far as teams and they're generally regarded more and more as the odd-man out as the BE was. I doubt a team like Duke is pulling out of series because they think they are "above" UL.

UCF is lately being able to pull off some somewhat respectable opponents home-home and we're freaking UCF and in CUSA. We're actually on the verge of dropping our one FCS game this season for an ACC team. Orlando isn't that crazy of a recruiting hotbed either. Not like south Florida is at least. A little ridiculous to keep pulling this woe-is-me stuff simply because the BE patch on the jersey... Especially as you still seem to give up WTF losses in conference or even OOC games.

Chris R

Such BS that ND didn't drop more with their spanking.

Who knows, they might be #1 again before Michigan destroys them next season because they pulled off a close one against the Temple Owls.

bluemax

Banned
Speaking of the Irish, their 2013 schedule:

Temple
@Michigan
@Purdue
Michigan State
Oklahoma
vs ASU @ Jerry World
Bye
USC
@Air Force
Navy
@Pittsburgh
Bye
BYU
@Stanford

5 road games but none of them look particularly tough. They also have the mid season neutral site game against ASU which could be pretty good. They definitely have a much lower chance of running the table next year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Eastern Kentucky
Florida International
@ Kentucky
Ohio
Central Florida
Rutgers
Memphis
@ UCONN
@ South Florida
@ Cincinnati

Mother. Fucker.
Undefeated and nowhere near the natty.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Technically, he already has three BCSNC rings (redshirt year in 2009).

I'd say more than technically, as by the end of that year, he was the backup, and would go into the game against Texas if McElroy and his busted ribs kept him out. McElroy toughing it out (and accomplishing next to nothing) is allowing AJ this one last season. We'd be looking at a new starter right now if not for that.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, I saw that this morning. :( I wish him the best though, he's had a fantastic career.

Jeremy Smith is a good back, but I'd feel a lot better about next season if we could snag Dontre Wilson or Altee Tenpenny in this recruiting class (both of those seem unlikely though). Even if we don't get them, we'll likely sign another back in this class.

In other OSU news, it appears that our DC Bill Young has left the program. He presided over some leaky (but opportunistic) defenses, but hopefully whoever takes over will take advantage of the better recruiting we've had on that side of the ball. We virtually gave away the OU and Baylor games playing soft coverage the entire time and giving up (what felt like) thousands of 10-yard passes.

Speaking of the Irish, their 2013 schedule:

Temple
@Michigan
@Purdue
Michigan State
Oklahoma
vs ASU @ Jerry World
Bye
USC
@Air Force
Navy
@Pittsburgh
Bye
BYU
@Stanford

5 road games but none of them look particularly tough. They also have the mid season neutral site game against ASU which could be pretty good. They definitely have a much lower chance of running the table next year.

another undefeated season possible?

see ya'll in the championships!

:D

andycapps

Boyd > Murray

SHOTS FIRED!

Show me the stats!

And neither QB has beat us!

*runs*

Thanks to Lattimore. I fully supported him going pro. Though you still have Hurricane Clowney there. Still, hopefully we scheme for him better next year.

Popping in my make my annual pledge to post more in the offseason.

See you guys in August.

Keep posting, I like seeing your avatar.

Our friend Ted Roof has left Penn St to join Georgia Tech in his same position of defensive coordinator.

4th school in about a year for him...

I fully support Tech picking him up. He's a great coach. I hope he and PJ stay there forever.

andycapps

Since early enrollees were brought up, UGA had 13 this week. Lot of the big targets have still not made decisions or aren't enrolling until later. Brice Ramsey is probably our QB of the future, and excited to see what Jonathon Rumph, Tray Matthews, and Tramel Terry do. The rest will probably just be depth this year or get redshirted. But you never know.

Georgia is expected to sign up to 35, but they may be in lower 30's to leave room for next year for early enrollees.

1. John Atkins - DT 3*
2. Aulden Bynum - OT 3*
3. Josh Cardiello - OL 3*
4. Reginald Carter - ILB 4*
5. JJ Green - ATH 3*
6. Tray Matthews - S 4*
7. Quincy Mauger - S 3*
8. Chris Mayes - DT 4*
9. Brice Ramsey - QB 4*
10. Ryne Rankin - ILB 3*
11. Jonathon Rumph - WR 4* (Most excited about this kid. 6'5" 215 lb receiver )
12. Tramel Terry - ATH 4*
13. Reggie Wilkerson - CB 4*

KingGondo

Banned
Brad Edwards said:
Just checked final computer rankings and found this interesting item: Colley Matrix still has Notre Dame ranked No. 1
Praise Touchdown Jesus!

This system is so unbelievably stupid.

Lonestar

Since early enrollees were brought up, UGA had 13 this week. Lot of the big targets have still not made decisions or aren't enrolling until later. Brice Ramsey is probably our QB of the future, and excited to see what Jonathon Rumph, Tray Matthews, and Tramel Terry do. The rest will probably just be depth this year or get redshirted. But you never know.

Georgia is expected to sign up to 35, but they may be in lower 30's to leave room for next year for early enrollees.

1. John Atkins - DT 3*
2. Aulden Bynum - OT 3*
3. Josh Cardiello - OL 3*
4. Reginald Carter - ILB 4*
5. JJ Green - ATH 3*
6. Tray Matthews - S 4*
7. Quincy Mauger - S 3*
8. Chris Mayes - DT 4*
9. Brice Ramsey - QB 4*
10. Ryne Rankin - ILB 3*
11. Jonathon Rumph - WR 4* (Most excited about this kid. 6'5" 215 lb receiver )
12. Tramel Terry - ATH 4*
13. Reggie Wilkerson - CB 4*

It's a good feeling to not have to worry about players changing their minds on signing day. At least the ones that you really want. Off my list, Bateman, Henry, and Howard being the ones I'm the most relieved.

But UGA is being hypocritical by going after 35. So much for the 25 rule you guys wanted :lol

TheNatural

My Member!
lol I don't fully buy that. The ACC is basically what the current BE is now anyway as far as teams and they're generally regarded more and more as the odd-man out as the BE was. I doubt a team like Duke is pulling out of series because they think they are "above" UL.

UCF is lately being able to pull off some somewhat respectable opponents home-home and we're freaking UCF and in CUSA. We're actually on the verge of dropping our one FCS game this season for an ACC team. Orlando isn't that crazy of a recruiting hotbed either. Not like south Florida is at least. A little ridiculous to keep pulling this woe-is-me stuff simply because the BE patch on the jersey... Especially as you still seem to give up WTF losses in conference or even OOC games.

Duke pulled out because at the time it was around Petrino was coach, and didn't want to get killed 70-0. You get out of conference games because you're in Florida, it's good recruiting, every program on the east side of the US recruits Florida to some degree. No one comes to Louisville freaking Kentucky to get exposure.

And we were favored every game this year in a weak ass conference and will be next year. Any loss we have will be a 'WTF loss' - but it was still hard to go 12-0, especially only having like 3 seniors on the team that even play. We still kicked Florida's ass, and we're going to do the same to you next year, don't worry.

Lonestar

Congratulations on winning the National Championship, ND!

Code:
1. 	Notre Dame    
2. 	Alabama    
3. 	Ohio St    
4. 	Florida    
5. 	Oregon    
6. 	Stanford    
7. 	South Carolina    
8. 	Texas A&M    
9. 	Georgia    
10. 	Kansas St    
11. 	LSU    
12. 	Oklahoma    
13. 	Clemson    
14. 	Florida St    
15. 	Nebraska    
16. 	San Jose St    
17. 	Louisville    
18. 	Oregon St    
19. 	Texas    
20. 	Northwestern    
21. 	Northern Illinois    
22. 	Utah St    
23. 	Vanderbilt    
24. 	Arkansas St    
25. 	Michigan    

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
We appear to be getting a lot of praise for hiring Mike Jinks as our RB coach (was the head coach at high school Cibolo Steele), but we're starting to get a bit worried about Wallerstedt having not been announced as our DC yet. He's been accepted as being "the guy" for a while now so if it somehow falls through we'll be left with a coach in Mike Smith that was named the "Co-DC" a while back but whose sole coaching experience is LBs in the NFL plus a lot of other position coaches that are already hired; whoever we hire as DC is going to not only want to work for a very young HC but is also only going to be able to hire one assistant (the vacant DL coach position) as all the other position coaches have already been hired.

Though his resume as a DC isn't all that great I think we all kind of assumed Wallerstedt was at least in the loop on all the defensive position coach hires so if we end up having to go another direction it could potentially be disastrous.

And we were favored every game this year in a weak ass conference and will be next year. Any loss we have will be a 'WTF loss' - but it was still hard to go 12-0, especially only having like 3 seniors on the team that even play. We still kicked Florida's ass, and we're going to do the same to you next year, don't worry.
But you still lost multiple times. The only way a fan has room to bitch is if you go undefeated and get left out. That hasn't occurred with UL at all. I don't care if you're favored or not.

Until you consistently get past he likes of Marshall, FIU and UConn, then I'll hear your complaints about a "weak" conference and schedule. But next year should be fun for me at least. I'll likely make it up for the UL game.

And yes, it was nice to see the beat down of Florida by UL in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom