• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you know who to blame.

Yup.

iGMSLYkzYphI8.gif

andycapps

Well, you know who to blame.

Tigers are always to blame.

Lonestar said:
The proposed rule will focus on the block itself and allow these blocks in typical line play.

“What we’re trying to do is write the rule to protect the player that will need to take on this block,” said Calhoun. “So, the blocks from the front of this type in your typical line play are legal and anything that is from the side or back are not.”

Previously, the position of the player at the snap changed whether or not the player could block below the waist legally.

“This rule was hard to teach to officials, hard to teach to coaches and really difficult to understand overall,” said Redding. “That obviously wasn’t the intent and we believe our new proposal will clear up a lot of confusion and keep the positive safety elements of the rule in place.”

Wonder if this affects cut blocking at all. Doesn't sound like it since cut blocking is typically done by schools like Georgia Tech by engaging with the defensive lineman from the front and then diving at their knees. Still sounds perfectly okay so long as it's from the front. Still, Kwame Geathers knee would have appreciated this ruling a couple years ago when he had his knee blown out from an uncalled chop block. I'd like to see some stiffer penalties on chop blocks, they're the type that can cause serious injuries. Cut blocks are bad enough.

Jhriad

The penalty, if approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, will be a 15-yard penalty and automatic ejection of the player.

Hurray! I look forward to having 3-4 Nebraska players ejected for bullshit targeting calls.

COMMUNITY!

Too be fair the offseason thread probably belongs in community. Hopefully it doesn't kill the thread off though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
a couple of the other rules at the bottom are "interdasting" too.

Andy: Dont'e Hightower would have liked the no cutblock rule too. Lost a chunk of his speed because of that knee injury.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Trying to picture the example needed for this 3 second minimum rule.

Ex: a 1st down is achieved, in FG/Hail Mary position, with 2 seconds left. The offense runs up to the line to spike the ball to give them the time to plan/prep for the last play. Does this rule kill that?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Trying to picture the example needed for this 3 second minimum rule.

Ex: a 1st down is achieved, in FG/Hail Mary position, with 2 seconds left. The offense runs up to the line to spike the ball to give them the time to plan/prep for the last play. Does this rule kill that?

Yes.

andycapps

a couple of the other rules at the bottom are "interdasting" too.

Andy: Dont'e Hightower would have liked the no cutblock rule too. Lost a chunk of his speed because of that knee injury.

Cut blocking and chop blocking are so similar that I have to re-read every offseason when the NCAA revises it's rules (and then doesn't enforce them during the season).

In gridiron football, cut blocking is an offensive line technique that consists of an offensive player knocking a defensive player down by hitting his knees.[1] The technique, which was initially instilled by Bobb McKittrick, the offensive line coach of the San Francisco 49ers from 1979 to 1999,[2] is often criticized as being "dirty."[3] Additionally, it is illegal for an offensive player to "cut" a defensive player already engaged with another offensive player. This is considered a "chop block." In the NCAA, cut blocking is allowed as long as the block is no more than five yards away from the line of scrimmage and it is inside the tackle box.[3]

In a Monday Night Football game between the Broncos and Cincinnati Bengals on October 25, 2004, offensive tackle George Foster of the Broncos legally used a cut block on defensive tackle Tony Williams of the Bengals, which resulted in a dislocation and fracture of Williams' ankle.[7]

That last sentence of the first paragraph may be moot now with this rule change, I'd probably have to be an NCAA lawyer to figure that out.

That bolded part I find mindboggling. Who knows how many injuries have been caused by cutblocking.. Mostly to linemen, who stand to make a ton of money in the NFL. Why haven't they outlawed it yet?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

FyreWulff

Guys, every time a thread gets moved to community, people whine about it being there. I've yet to see a thread die from being moved there that had regular activity before the move.

The vast majority of you are probably reading the thread via subscriptions anyway.

Guys, every time a thread gets moved to community, people whine about it being there. I've yet to see a thread die from being moved there that had regular activity before the move.

The vast majority of you are probably reading the thread via subscriptions anyway.

Shut UP with your rationality and perspective. That kinda shit has no place here.

But no more lifelongs :(

lies all lies.

we were special. we werent supposed to be subjected to this!

andycapps

Edit. Beaten

We thought we were special.

ChiTownBuffalo

Do you know how much the property value of this thread has dropped since we're in the same neighborhood as NBA-Gaf? It's even worse than when those Indiana Catholics squatted here.

andycapps

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Do you know how much the property value of this thread has dropped since we're in the same neighborhood as NBA-Gaf? It's even worse than when those Indiana Catholics squatted here.

We have some Big East fans still. They bring down the value of this thread to where mere Irish Catholics can have equal footing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You actually participate in the gaming side and aren't banned? I stay the heck away from there.

People joke, but I feel this way about OT more than gaming. I see a lot more ban traps and graveyards in OT.

And subscriptions are awesome, I don't know how I browsed GAF for a year or so before using them.

People joke, but I feel this way about OT more than gaming. I see a lot more ban traps and graveyards in OT.

And subscriptions are awesome, I don't know how I browsed GAF for a year or so before using them.

The only time people from CFB GAF get banned is on the gaming side.

Except for ChiTown, but he is special that way.

He was also responsible for about half the trap threads in the OT last year. It was awesome, because you could usually see who was getting banned from a mile away.

cdyhybrid

Yep. Gaming is alright as long as you stay away from console war topics and avoid personal attacks.

ChiTownBuffalo

The only time people from CFB GAF get banned is on the gaming side.

Except for ChiTown, but he is special that way.

He was also responsible for about half the trap threads in the OT last year. It was awesome, because you could usually see who was getting banned from a mile away.

I bagged my quota pretty quick.

ag-my001

To establish three seconds as the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock. If one or two seconds remain on the clock, there is only time for the offense to run one more play.

Since when is spiking the ball not the same as running a play? Also, has Boise claimed naming rights to the contrasting uniform/field rule yet?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Since when is spiking the ball not the same as running a play? Also, has Boise claimed naming rights to the contrasting uniform/field rule yet?

I do know that one of the things that Boise St negotiated as part of their coming back/staying with the mwc was to keep wearing the blue uniforms at home. Too bad, so sad.

Jhriad

I've yet to see a thread die from being moved there that had regular activity before the move.

Minecraft thread right after it was moved over. It wasn't killed immediately but it fell off considerably. I think Off Topic has more robust communities than Gaming does though. People stick to OT but they fade away pretty quickly in Gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom