• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's a legit disappointment if we don't win the conference this year, IMO. Schedule sets up well for us (KSU, TCU, and OU at home), and we have the only returning starting QBs in the conference. Toughest games are @ Texas and in Houston vs. the Fighting Midnight Riders to open the season.
Speaking of Midnight Rider, I wonder if he celebrated Mississippi's ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Just weather the storm known as the offseason. Come regular season we should be back in our home known as the OT.

I dunno that there are any assurances we'll make it back there.

I'm all hand shy now.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
It's like we've been banned from the OT campus, like those 3 Bama players.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Here's a report on that NCAA/Miami fiasco. It's worse for the NCAA than I thought :lol

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2013/february/report+details+missteps+insufficient+oversight+ncaa+commits+to+improvements

The external review found select enforcement staff members:

Knowingly circumvented legal advice to engage Nevin Shapiro’s criminal defense attorney.
Violated the internal NCAA policy of legal counsel only being retained and monitored by the legal staff.
Paid insufficient attention to the concern that engaging the criminal defense attorney could constitute an inappropriate manipulation of the bankruptcy process.
Did not sufficiently consider the membership’s understanding about the limits of the enforcement staff’s investigative powers.
Did not violate a specific bylaw or law.
Additionally, the report found:

Enforcement leadership exercised insufficient oversight of the engagement of the criminal defense attorney.
The legal and enforcement staffs took appropriate action to rectify the situation once they realized select enforcement staff members had engaged the criminal defense attorney.

Some tweets

NCAA has fired VP of enforcement Julie Roe Lach in wake of external review into power abuses during UM probe

"select" #NCAA staff: "Knowingly circumvented legal advice to engage Nevin Shapiro’s criminal defense attorney."

But "Did not violate a specific bylaw or law.

"Not surprisingly, report finds "legal and enforcement staffs took appropriate action to rectify the situation" "once they realized select enforcement staff members had engaged the criminal defense attorney."

Jim Isch, No.2 at #NCAA, approved payment to Shapiro's attorney. Yet Emmert didn't know.

Emmert: "If #NCAA executive committee believes some disciplinary action toward me needs to be taken, I'm sure they will."

Emmert: "Wouldn’t characterize this as a case of corruption. Bad judgment and bad decisions made."

Emmert says if #NCAA finds something "inappropriate with our behavior" in former cases, "we will deal with it accordingly."

The entire NCAA enforcement process will be reviewed/revamped, several enforcement members let go... but no NCAA rules were broken.

The NCAA paid $8,200 to communicate with Nevin Shaprio in prison.

:lolol

Lonestar

Hope they shove the "barrel of a shotgun" straight up his ass.

Yeah, he's neck deep in this. Sadly, only Julie and some other toadie got the boot. Julie's the one that had words with Chizik back during the Cam Saga.

“You’ll know when we’re finished,” Roe Lach told Chizik, according to several coaches who were at the meeting. “And we’re not finished.”

This is the sort of mess that gives that Pennsylvania lawsuit over Penn State, a chance. That USC coach as well, wasn't he still suing the NCAA?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah, he's neck deep in this. Sadly, only Julie and some other toadie got the boot. Julie's the one that had words with Chizik back during the Cam Saga.

Yep, I'm sure there is much celebration down on the plains today.

Lonestar

http://deadspin.com/5985097/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Actually, here's a more in depth report, that also "dumbs it down" for the laypersons (the rest of us Non-Lawyers)

Johanningmeier "retired" last year :( Denied those glorious 2 words, "he's Fired."

In response to the findings, the NCAA has fired Julie Roe Lach, the vice president of enforcement. Roe Lach, handpicked by Emmert to be the enforcement head when he took over in 2010, was responsible for approving the payments to Shapiro's attorney.

• In December, the NCAA fired investigator Abigail Grantstein, who had been looking into the case of UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad. An overheard phone call indicated that Grantstein had judged Muhammad guilty before the investigation was over, and, at the very least, was sharing confidential information.

• Ameen Najjar, a veteran investigator working the Miami case, was fired last year for being the NCAA's main conduit between Perez and the NCAA.

• Bill Benjamin, a former police chief hired to lead the NCAA's football investigations, abruptly resigned after just eight months on the job.

• Assistant director of enforcement Richard Johanningmeier led the NCAA's troubled investigation of USC, and also played a part in the controversial Miami case. He retired in 2012, but his role is just emerging now. One example, from the report released today:

To facilitate communications between the NCAA and Mr. Shapiro, Mr. Johanningmeier purchased a disposable mobile phone and paid for Mr. Shapiro's use of the prison telephone system. Mr. Johanningmeier, in turn, expensed those costs to the NCAA. (Comley; Lach; Johanningmeier; Najjar; Shapiro). We learned that the NCAA had expended approximately $8,200 to fund communications with Mr. Shapiro, including transfers of approximately $4,500 to his prison commissary account from which he pays for communications expenses.

Emmert's being thrown under the bus by the media now. LSU fans feel like he's been protecting his Buddy, Saban, during his time at Alabama. Might have to worry about something in the future, if Emmert is let go as well.

We need a WV fan to post some more alignment news, Morgantown King of the CFB world.

-Texas and Oklahoma to kidnap Arkansas and TAMU in the middle of the night to bring them back to the Big 12, which will be renamed "Southwest Conference Part Deux."

-SEC to kick out Missouri to restore the sacred Tiger/Bulldog ratio.

-SEC gets up to 16 teams by bringing in VTech, WVU, and either Miami or FSU, to be determined by a steel-cage deathmatch between Bobby Bowden and Howard Schnellenberger. Florida is OK with another team from the state because the East is renamed the "Go Gata Division."

-Duke and UNC convert to Catholicism so they can play basketball with the schools leaving the Big East. However, they are just sleeper agents that Swofford is using to destroy another conference when he invites them back to the ACC in 5 years.

Lonestar

camlol_medium.gif

cdyhybrid

Q: Regarding wins and losses what is the all-time best decade (10 yrs.) for the U of W, starting with a year ending in 0, and starting with a year ending in any number. And ditto for the all-time worst decade.

A: As those who read through all the comments saw, this question was quickly answered by another reader, Topdawg. I did just enough checking of this to conclude he’s got it right.

1890s: 15-13-5

1900s: 45-16-12
1910s: 52-4-3
1920s: 64-27-6
1930s: 53-31-8
1940s: 44-40-4
1950s: 49-48-4
1960s: 54-43-5
1970s: 67-44-0
1980s: 84-33-2
1990s: 82-34-1
2000s: 49-71-0
2010s: 21-18-0

As the reader noted, it’ll be hard to ever top the run of Gil Dobie, who was 58-0-3 from 1908-16. And as could have been guessed, the worst decade was the most recent one.

Ahhh yes. Thank you Tyrone.

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

Well, I'm gonna get banned again.

ChiTownBuffalo

That would be good. But its not Blame Space level banning.

Lonestar

heh, guy says you're exaggerating, then proceeds to go "why, I NEVER!" and screams for internet justice.

Seems like he's exaggerating.

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

You are laying it on a little thick throwing out phrases like "yellow peril." :p But God speed.

Yeah. He just irks me with his whining.

Anyway. Back on what's important.

NCAA has lost institutional control.

ChiTownBuffalo

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Today's Texas Tech news that nobody cares about but me -

New Orleans LB Edward Williams, who wants to sign with Tech but whose parents won't sign the LOI, will apparently just say "screw the LOI, I'm going to Tech and signing the scholarship papers anyway" -

@WGNOsports said:

This follows what Tech fans have been thinking might happen for a while though I don't remember if I posted it here or not - basically, you have to be 21 to sign an LOI without your parents/guardian cosigning, but you only have to be 18 to sign scholarship papers and so long as you actually show up at school there is functionally no difference. Basically, if you sign the financial aid papers without an LOI then the school is committed to the player but the player isn't committed to the school; if you sign an LOI both are committed to each other.

Will surely cause some strife at home, of course, and it means we'll basically be sweating him showing up until he is actually photographed on the first day of fall camp reporting. Alex Collins could theoretically have done the same thing when his mother stole his LOI without signing it because she didn't want him to go to Arkansas.

Will be a great pickup at LB for Tech assuming he shows up, though. He'll basically be the highest rated LB we've recruited since 2000 or so when the various services started rating recruits. We don't really have any natural MLBs on the roster so the ones we signed this year (him, Kahlee Woods, maybe Zach Barnes though I can't recall if he's set to play MLB or OLB) each have great opportunities to start as true freshman.

::edit::
I guess Zach Barnes is listed at LB but is player DE, but Malik Jenkins is listed at DE and is playing OLB.

----------

In news other people may actually care about, how is Johnny Manziel handling being the big man on campus? By avoiding campus as much as possible.

Lonestar

yeah, I heard about Online Class Gig'em.

Anyway to get him suspended for not being an actual student?

I imagine he isn't even living in College Station and won't be until Spring practice starts up. He's probably chilling with his family in Kerrville Texas right now, or he's in Austin just to troll Mack Brown.

Edit: Also reading Texas Tech Confessions on Facebook sheds light as to why the infamous Raider Rash continues to spread. Oh you want examples?

I had sex with a CA in the Chitwood study lounge in the middle of the day.

im dating my TA... whos more than 10 years older than me

I've met a really cool guy but we are both way too busy with school and work to ever hang out, and when we do it's only for about an hour. I don't really want to date him I just want to have enough time to get naked every once in awhile.

ag-my001

Can't say I blame Manziel for trying to avoid too much unwanted attention. He's not a senior taking a victory lap, he's a RS Freshman with years to go. Our fanbase has a way of being rich in extremists (Exhibit A: TexAgs).
Please be a sign of Manziel maturing/quitting twitter

re: Raider Rash

There was a TT grad in my group of grad school friends. We gave them so much grief about raider rash, though I think our preferred term was "panhandle sludge".

I almost felt sorry for them sometimes.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine he isn't even living in College Station and won't be until Spring practice starts up. He's probably chilling with his family in Kerrville Texas right now, or he's in Austin just to troll Mack Brown.

Edit: Also reading Texas Tech Confessions on Facebook sheds light as to why the infamous Raider Rash continues to spread. Oh you want examples?

OH MY GOD COLLEGE STUDENTS HAVING SEX WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO

The only reason it surprises me is that I would think both Manziel and the Aggie staff would want him to maintain continuous access to their training facilities and/or offseason strength training programs.

I'm not familiar with the quality of A&M's facilities, and I know that Manziel's family is pretty wealthy, but one would assume that it's in his best interests to stay in the area.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The only reason it surprises me is that I would think both Manziel and the Aggie staff would want him to maintain continuous access to their training facilities and/or offseason strength training programs.

I'm not familiar with the quality of A&M's facilities, and I know that Manziel's family is pretty wealthy, but one would assume that it's in his best interests to stay in the area.

I would be incredibly surprised if he was not in College Station working out with the team whether he needs to be there for class or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom