• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Well, if Delany does manage to snag UNC and UVA, hopefully it will placate the whiny Maryland fans who have been complaining about losing their imaginary rivalries with imaginary rivals like UNC.

The salt of Maryland is 1/100 the salt of Coach K of Duke, who's saltiness will go up by 1000 if UNC is taken away from him.

andycapps

Maybe it's because there are no conferences to go to. What is the regional FBS conference down there .. the Sun Belt?

I hear the ACC may have openings.

I thought I heard Georgia Southern was trying to get into the Sun Belt? During their game with Old Dominion the commentators were talking about how both programs were looking at moving to FBS.

Pretty sure the Sun Belt is the only mid-major one in the Southeast. Conference USA could be a possibility? Big East?

Blow it all up. I don't care. UCF's only shot at this point is for the ACC to get BEASTED and they have like 6 openings. Big XII isn't going to sit around much longer if the Big 10 goes through with it.

At least they're under contract technically with the Orange Bowl as an access game. ACC would basically be what the BE was in the BCS era. Technically a major conference with all the benefits that go with it but in reality not truly at the table.

Draxal

So if this goes through, the SEC snatches up Florida State and Georgia Tech, right?

Nah, apparently don't expand into states already owned is pretty strong here as UGA/UF are the dominant universities in those states.

NC State/VPI (Vtech) are the rumored targets for the SEC, wouldn't be suprised if they also went after Duke.

Draxal

How much is Notre Dame going to have to pay the Big XII to join their conference?

Jim Delany's end game is still ND, it's pretty funny how ND had two conferences die on them (well caused by their refusal to join the conference), and how they still run away from Delany's loving hands.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Nah, apparently don't expand into states already owned is pretty strong here as UGA/UF are the dominant universities in those states.

NC State/VPI (Vtech) are the rumored targets for the SEC, wouldn't be suprised if they also went after Duke.
Kick out Mizzou for Duke.

Talon

They've already got a strong academic school that sucks at football, and they've already got a basketball school. Seems like Duke would run into the same problems as Ga Tech and FSU.
Lacrosse, man! - That guy from the last thread

Draxal

They've already got a strong academic school that sucks at football, and they've already got a basketball school. Seems like Duke would run into the same problems as Ga Tech and FSU.

Vanderbilt needs a rival, and Duke already sucks at football, do I need to post Truly101's posts on Duke Football?

Lacrosse, man! - That guy from the last thread

Pfft, I was more after the metric shit tons of Federal research money that John Hopkins had (unless it was somebody other sap). There is actually a very interesting academia war brewing between the Cic and the Ivy League.

Draxal

...yes, that was the point. They would overlap with Vandy (and Kentucky), just like Ga Tech and FSU would overlap with UGA and UF.

Oh my point was that even if they went they would still be a big basketall and academic add, and who cares if they suck at football, and give them presence into NC (although NC STATE would take precdence).

andycapps

Toby Johnson is headed to UGA. According to him, our DL coach and Richt told him he'll play DE. That's news to me, but they must feel really confident in our existing nose tackles to say that.

Draxal

Bobby Reid hired at OSU. KingGondo is going to renact Gundy's famous speech for the pleasure of CF gaf, I like this hire, gotta take care of your own.

KingGondo

Banned
Bobby Reid hired at OSU. KingGondo is going to renact Gundy's famous speech for the pleasure of CF gaf, I like this hire, gotta take care of your own.
I'M A MAN, I'M 29!!!

*ahem*

I saw that yesterday, didn't think anyone here would remember who Bobby Reid was.

Sounds like it was a favor, he's 27 and didn't appear to be doing much with his life. He was mediocre (at best) playing for the Tulsa Talons arena team.

Hopefully he does something with this opportunity.

Also, if Bobby Reid taught us anything, it's that Les Miles can't evaluate QB talent for shit. Reid, Perrilloux, Jefferson... the list goes on.

mre

I'M A MAN, I'M 29!!!

*ahem*

I saw that yesterday, didn't think anyone here would remember who Bobby Reid was.

Sounds like it was a favor, he's 27 and didn't appear to be doing much with his life. He was mediocre (at best) playing for the Tulsa Talons arena team.

Also, if Bobby Reid taught us anything, it's that Les Miles can't evaluate QB talent for shit. Reid, Perrilloux, Jefferson... the list goes on.
Perrilloux's problem wasn't a lack of talent.

Draxal

I'M A MAN, I'M 29!!!

*ahem*

Yeah, this was definitely a favor hire. Rutgers did the same thing for my favorite player, Rameel Meekins.

KingGondo

Banned
Perrilloux's problem wasn't a lack of talent.
Neither was Bobby Reid's, really. But Les seems to fixate on super-athletic QBs with questionable actual QB skills and more than a touch of the crazy.

Hell, JaMarcus Russell had loads of talent too.

Draxal said:
Yeah, this was definitely a favor hire. Rutgers did the same thing for my favorite player, Rameel Meekins.
I'm totally fine with it. Hopefully the kid can get his life back on track. I'm glad he and Gundy seem to have cleared the air.

mre

Neither was Bobby Reid's, really. But Les seems to fixate on super-athletic QBs with questionable actual QB skills and more than a touch of the crazy.

Hell, JaMarcus Russell had loads of talent too.

I'm totally fine with it. Hopefully the kid can get his life back on track. I'm glad he and Gundy seem to have cleared the air.

JaMarcus Russell was a really good college QB, though. He just stopped caring when he got his contract with the Raiders.

Miami received their Notice of Allegations tonight. No word on the scope of it yet. Not sure if we will know since Miami doesn't have to disclose it. Although the AP is reporting that among the charges if lack of institutional control.

NBC Sports

Edit: Damnit. Fuck it. Statement from the UM president Donna Shalalalala. Standard president response.

mre

Not entirely. Sounds like they're going to try to make some hay over the NCAA's moronic shenanigans.

Also they namedrop blue and ttk's favorite AD, Paul Dee.
Yes, but the NCAA already agreed to not use any evidence that it obtained "illegally."

Not entirely. Sounds like they're going to try to make some hay over the NCAA's moronic shenanigans.

Also they namedrop blue and ttk's favorite AD, Paul Dee.

Of course. They're just say that they've already self-imposed and took "unprecedented actions" (over allegations you also say are largely based on a shady character and can't be proven) so therefore the NCAA shouldn't add on. And yeah of course they'll use the investigation issues I'm sure. But if the NCAA already took that information out, they're sounding like any other school saying the other evidence was light.

Edit: And these allegations include basketball too. You saw Miami self-impose bowl band during the season after they were already clearly mediocre. I guarantee you won't see a basketball self-ban given they have a real good shot at a very high seed in the NCAA tourney...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yes, but the NCAA already agreed to not use any evidence that it obtained "illegally."

in their words "about 20%", including whatever Sean Allen testified to. He was that equipment manager who lived it up with Shapiro.

mre

Yes, surely they're going to be completely fair from this point forward!
Hah, the NCAA has never been fair. Believe me, as an Alabama fan, I have no love for the NCAA. They wanted to nail us so bad in ~2002 that they gave Tennessee a pass for doing the same shit we were doing and had Fulmer as a "secret witness."

I was merely pointing out, that they've addressed her complaints that she had already previously raised (yesterday, I think?), by saying that they will simply not use any of the illegally obtained information and will support all allegations with other evidence. I don't think her statement changed any over the course of 24 hours, so she was simply beating the same tune out again now that the allegations have officially come out.

Draxal

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/b1g-expansion-dollars-research-edition

An interesting debate about the money side of College Sports ... the academic side. For the BIG 10, college sports is just a drop in the bucket financially, and well NJ/Maryland both had senators in the appropriations committee.

edit.

And one thing the blog, suggests is that FSU/Nebraska/Syracuse might get into the AAU soon. I don't beleive it for a second, the AAU is trying to contract and not the other way around, otherwise Syracuse and FSU wouldn't of been forced out.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/b1g-expansion-dollars-research-edition

An interesting debate about the money side of College Sports ... the academic side. For the BIG 10, college sports is just a drop in the bucket financially, and well NJ/Maryland both had senators in the appropriations committee.

edit.

And one thing the blog, suggests is that FSU/Nebraska/Syracuse might get into the AAU soon. I don't beleive it for a second, the AAU is trying to contract and not the other way around, otherwise Syracuse and FSU wouldn't of been forced out.

FSU has ever been a member of the AAU (I'm backed up by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Former_members). We have been trying to get in for a few years now, and honestly the academic profile of the school has risen a lot over the past decade so I could see it happening. See the fact that we've had two students selected for Rhodes Scholarships to Oxford in the past decade.

Our new president actually cares about the school and is a serious academic, unlike our last one who only cared about hanging out with Bobby Bowden.

I buy that Nebraska will eventually get readmitted, but I don't buy that Syracuse will get readmitted nor do I buy that FSU will get in.

Nebraska has some powerful allies in the AAU, specifically the B1G presidents/chancellors who will almost certainly lobby hard to get them back in. (Wisconsin and Michigan voted to expel them, but Wisconsin now has a different chancellor and fuck Michigan.) Also, their CIC membership should help them expand their research dollars by quite a lot.

Syracuse left voluntarily, so I don't see them having much of a chance for readmission. And from what I've read, FSU still isn't considered a top contender for AAU membership, though they've made significant strides forward. The AAU is clearly trying to become more exclusive, not less, so it's definitely an uphill battle for anyone trying to get in.

Draxal

FSU has ever been a member of the AAU (I'm backed up by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Former_members). We have been trying to get in for a few years now, and honestly the academic profile of the school has risen a lot over the past decade so I could see it happening. See the fact that we've had two students selected for Rhodes Scholarships to Oxford in the past decade.

Our new president actually cares about the school and is a serious academic, unlike our last one who only cared about hanging out with Bobby Bowden.

My bad, I seriously meant Nebraska and not FSU there. And I 100% believe that there is a serious academic movement in FSU like there is in Uconn, but the AAU is still trying to contract.

I'd let the Nebraska poster post about what happened to Nebraska, but they kinda got fucked because of their med school being in Omaha and agricultural research not counting, I'm wondering if they'll change ... those merits.

My bad, I seriously meant Nebraska and not FSU there. And I 100% believe that there is a serious academic movement in FSU like there is in Uconn, but the AAU is still trying to contract.

I'd let the Nebraska poster post about what happened to Nebraska, but they kinda got fucked because of their med school being in Omaha and agricultural research not counting, I'm wondering if they'll change ... those merits.

It's definitely been an uphill battle for us getting in to the AAU. I'm hopeful that we'll break in eventually.

Draxal

Man, the wv insiders are going insane.

Predicting 20 team big 10 conference with Gtech/FSU/UVA/UNC/ND/(and Texas supposedly).

Talon

Pretty funny comment coming from a go gata.
OregonDucks.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
I can't see Texas leaving the Big 12. They've got the perfect setup. They get their own network, lots of money via the conference TV deal, and the entire conference revolves around them, even when they suck in the big sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom