• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Small schools have the same problem as alot of the larger schools. The entire athletic department are majority funded by the football program. So no, it's not as simple as "stop having a football program," it's more "No Athletics."

OH MY GOD COLLEGE STUDENTS HAVING SEX WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO

Y'all aren't using condoms frequently enough to prevent the spread of disease. At UT we have health services hand them out on campus like Bibles from the Gideon's.

If you rely on FBS schools to subsidize your program, you need to figure out whether or not it's in your school's best financial interest to maintain a football program.

Honestly, I think far too many schools sponsor football and would be better off getting rid of it.

Why don't we get rid of those pesky unprofitable womens programs? That would save some money. Oh and Title IX only applies to the NCAA right??

Draxal

Small schools have the same problem as alot of the larger schools. The entire athletic department are majority funded by the football program. So no, it's not as simple as "stop having a football program," it's more "No Athletics."

I don't think it's like that at all. For the smaller programs, college basketball actually drive revenue as the costs of running that program is so much smaller than football. The small schools don't make jack shit off tv rights and attendance as the big FBS schools do.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Only on campus once a month doesn't mean he's not in town the rest of the days, though. Since the interview was focused on academics he likely just meant he's on campus only once a month for classes.

I just can't imagine the coaches putting up with him not even being in town during prime strength and conditioning time while every one of his teammates is busting ass. Spring before and after football practice starts + the summer are the only real times where players are completely focused on strength and conditioning.

::edit::
From another article - Manziel said today while at the Fort Worth Club for the Davey O’Brien Award dinner that he’s only on campus – outside of the actual Bright football building – about once a month this semester.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't think it's like that at all. For the smaller programs, college basketball actually drive revenue as the costs of running that program is so much smaller than football. The small schools don't make jack shit off tv rights and attendance as the big FBS schools do.

yeah, they get the $500,000-$1 Million they get from the rent-a-wins, and fund anything they can't get on their own.

Draxal

yeah, they get the $500,000-$1 Million they get from the rent-a-wins, and fund anything they can't get on their own.

Yeah, it's just running those programs cost from 1.5 million to 3.0 million for a fcs school. I don't see them making a net positive on those, where it's much easier to do so for basketball.

It's also due to how the March Madness is run, tournament shares in that tournament is major major cash flow for the smaller schools (its also another reason why power conferences want to split off, to reduce the amount of tourney shares given to non power conferences).

Unless you're a Mount Union or a Wisconsin-Whitewater, I'm willing to bet your attendance is really, really shitty. Like high school-size crowds. Most small division football programs are probably money losers just like every other sport they field.

Why don't we get rid of those pesky unprofitable womens programs? That would save some money. Oh and Title IX only applies to the NCAA right??

Let's get real here.

Almost all universities lose money on athletics. But at least with a lot of the larger schools, you can use your athletic program as a selling point to prospective students and as a means through which to target potential alumni donors. So perhaps the loss is somewhat justifiable.

But a lot of these smaller schools are probably better off scaling down their entire athletic programs, both men's and women's. It costs your university money and it's not really attracting any students to your campus.

In that case, yeah, he must really hate College Station. :jnc

Draxal

Almost all universities lose money on athletics. But at least with a lot of the larger schools, you can use your athletic program as a selling point to prospective students and as a means through which to target potential alumni donors. So perhaps the loss is somewhat justifiable.

I believe David Brandon said only 22 FBS schools are net positive, but yeah it's supported by alumni and out of state tuition (there's a big reason the BIG 10 wanted Maryland and NJ rich states with too many college eligible students to fill all the state colleges).

cashman

Banned
In that case, yeah, he must really hate College Station. :jnc

He's a Longhorn at heart

600825_445067818895599_494052299_n.jpg

He's a Longhorn at heart

600825_445067818895599_494052299_n.jpg

Can't really blame him, based on what I've heard.

My sister is finishing up her PhD and will be out of Aggie Land in May. She can't wait; she pretty much hates the place.

She'll be moving this summer to Lincoln to teach at Nebraska. It will probably be only slightly less boring, but at least the people will be nicer.

Let's get real here.

But a lot of these smaller schools are probably better off scaling down their entire athletic programs, both men's and women's. It costs your university money and it's not really attracting any students to your campus.

aww you're no fun.

You're probably right that golf,water polo,rowing,tennis :(,cross country and other low attendance low interest sports probably aren't cost effective when factoring in the price of running the program and the students/alumni donations having said sport brings in.

But take away all of those filler sports and then you're only left with Football and basketball on the profitable side, and baseball/softball/volleyball on the not profitable but maybe cost effective side. I just can't imagine college athletics being that bare. I don't have a solution, but I will say that losing those aforementioned low interest sports will cause a lot of parents to keep their kids away from them taking up those sports. They'll want to make sure their kid has interest in the sports that are offered at colleges or universities. And that would suck for a lot of people, especially me since I'm considering becoming a tennis coach.

Talon

I believe David Brandon said only 22 FBS schools are net positive, but yeah it's supported by alumni and out of state tuition (there's a big reason the BIG 10 wanted Maryland and NJ rich states with too many college eligible students to fill all the state colleges).
Let's not conflate two things.

Athletic programs are not profitable for most schools.

Universities are very profitable.

They are? For some reason I just assumed they were non profit because we have Universities like The Art Institute and Devry actually labeled as "For Profit". I assumed real Universities, especially state schools, were not profitable. Silly naive me

Talon

They are? For some reason I just assumed they were non profit because we have Universities like The Art Institute and Devry actually labeled as "For Profit". I assumed real Universities, especially state schools, were not profitable. Silly naive me
Non-Profit just means that you reinvest any profit back into the entity instead of distributing it to shareholders or owners.

I can assure you that Northwestern University is doing pretty fucking well.

Draxal

I did find the quote, it's him on sixty minutes.

Dave Brandon: The business model of big-time college athletics is primarily broken. It's, it's a horrible business model.
Armen Keteyian: Broken.
Dave Brandon: Broken. You've got 125 of these programs. Out of 125, 22 of them were cash flow even or cash flow positive. Now, thankfully, we're one of those. What that means is you've got a model that's not sustainable in most cases. You just don't have enough revenues to support the costs. And the costs continue to go up.

They're aren't for a good number of FBS schools aka non BIG/SEC/PAC schools. It's pretty much the only reason Maryland decided to join the Big Ten as even with UnderArmor basically bankrolling them they still had to cut sports. It's also why FSU is hedging against the ACC, it can't win against Florida in a spending battle. Although some of this comes down to accounting and if stadium upgrades count against the AD budget or not.

Non-Profit just means that you reinvest any profit back into the entity instead of distributing it to shareholders or owners.

I can assure you that Northwestern University is doing pretty fucking well.

Northwestern is a BIG school so it gets that amazing BIG tv contract and correct me if I am wrong it also has the smallest amount of scholarship sports in the Big 10. But I digress, if you're not a BIG 10, SEC or Pac 12 school you're not fine at this moment unless you are one of those outliers (Bevo and associated schools, ND).

Talon

They're aren't for a good number of FBS schools aka non BIG/SEC/PAC schools. It's pretty much the only reason Maryland decided to join the Big Ten as even with UnderArmor basically bankrolling them they still had to cut sports. It's also why FSU is hedging against the ACC, it can't win against Florida in a spending battle. Although some of this comes down to accounting and if stadium upgrades count against the AD budget or not.
? Where did I contradict this? I said most schools lose money through athletics. Universities themselves as a whole are in the black.

The Big Ten TV contract is a drop in the bucket for our financials. Rolling in alumni donations (probably the only time I'll hold a $1 million check). Rolling in tuition (private school, so we're charging 47k/head). Rolling in that Pfizer cash ($700 million for Lyrica).

Just plain rolling.

Draxal

? Where did I contradict this? I said most schools lose money through athletics. Universities themselves as a whole are in the black.

The Big Ten TV contract is a drop in the bucket for our financials. Rolling in alumni donations (probably the only time I'll hold a $1 million check). Rolling in tuition (private school, so we're charging 47k/head). Rolling in that Pfizer cash ($700 million for Lyrica).

Just plain rolling.

Oh now I get it, you just misintrepreted what I meant to type (that most ads are in the whole instead of most universities). My bad, and yeah NW and all the privates (C7) are in good shape due to all that inflated tuition cost.

Draxal

Draxal - Talon didn't go to Northwestern.

He went to Iowa.

For some reason I always though he went to Georgia Tech, I blame NFLGAF for it.

Anyway Prince is hired, first good Rutgers news since the Big 10 announcement, and let's face it our basketball teams are not worth watching this year.

Talon

Draxal - Talon didn't go to Northwestern.

He went to Iowa.
For some reason I always though he went to Georgia Tech, I blame NFLGAF for it.

Anyway Prince is hired, first good Rutgers news since the Big 10 announcement, and let's face it our basketball teams are not worth watching this year.

Goddddddddd damnnnnnnnn ittttttttttttttt, pop.

At least nobody's called me a Gata yet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently there is a clause in Kingsbury's contract that grants him "creative license in the design of the football team's equipment and team uniforms."

...So we got THAT going for us. I'm hoping for mandatory visors on every player's helmet in the shape of frogskins.

KingGondo

Banned
Apparently there is a clause in Kingsbury's contract that grants him "creative license in the design of the football team's equipment and team uniforms."

...So we got THAT going for us. I'm hoping for mandatory visors on every player's helmet in the shape of foreskins.
Gross, dude.

So looks like Florida Atlantic is a little desperate for money. Just sold stadium naming rights to a for-profit prison company. Apparently one of the owners or executives for the company is an alumni of FAU.

FAU Jailhouse

KingGondo

Banned
So looks like Florida Atlantic is a little desperate for money. Just sold stadium naming rights to a for-profit prison company. Apparently one of the owners or executives for the company is an alumni of FAU.

FAU Jailhouse
The private prison "industy" sickens me. My wife's grandparents were stockholders in one of these companies, and they were wined and dined at the annual stockholders meeting... Meanwhile, these companies lobby for stricter sentencing guidelines so they can make higher profits.

I dunno, it just seems to me that it creates a conflict of interest when private industry has a profit motive in imprisoning human beings.

Maybe that's just me.

The private prison "industy" sickens me. My wife's grandparents were stockholders in one of these companies, and they were wined and dined at the annual stockholders meeting... Meanwhile, these companies lobby for stricter sentencing guidelines so they can make higher profits.

I dunno, it just seems to me that it creates a conflict of interest when private industry has a profit motive in imprisoning human beings.

Maybe that's just me.
Yeah that's why I posted it like that. Very nefarious industry.

Wasn't there a story a few months ago where school kids in Alabama I want to say were imprisoned over minor school violations and it was one of these companies prisons the kids were going to? Had school administration and judges going right for it.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah that's why I posted it like that. Very nefarious industry.

Wasn't there a story a few months ago where school kids in Alabama I want to say were imprisoned over minor school violations and it was one of these companies prisons the kids were going to? Had school administration and judges going right for it.
Not sure. I know I've heard some horror stories in the librul media.

At least having a stadium named after a private prison company will make it easier to protest them with visibility.

Ruh roh, here we go again.

Maryland 247 site reporting North Carolina has Big Ten offer, Virginia on deck?

Land Grant Holy Land said:
One of the leaders at being both first and right in the last round of Big Ten expansion is reporting that the University of North Carolina has an offer on the table to join the league. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess, but it appears that Virginia is also a chip (as long speculated) on the table possibly get in on the action as well.

Reports began leaking out last month that Virginia was next in the pecking order to join the Big Ten, but mostly originated from sources without the track record of Inside Maryland. There has also long been second guessing about the validity of a potential North Carolina offer, particularly in lieu of the lingering academic scandal still attached to the school's football and basketball programs, and the school's influence within the ACC. If recruiting college athletes is considered to be the silly season, recruiting colleges (particularly in lieu of lingering legislation still complicating matters) takes matters to a whole other level.

Now that there appears to be some actual hard evidence that North Carolina may be the next domino to fall, the question becomes what happens after that. Virginia would seem like some redundancy given the league's investment in Maryland (which potentially could cost in upwards of $50 million dollars), but the Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News and Richmond-Petersburg TV markets combine to form something worth noting. It would also all but seal the Big Ten Network's second tier negotiating prowess in the vaunted Washington DC market.

It's long been thought that Georgia Tech (and Atlanta) have been coveted for not just the large number of Big Ten alumni occupying "the capital of the south", but as a way to announce their presence to the rival Southeastern Conference. Of course Georgia Tech itself doesn't exactly scream "athletic dominance", but with a foothold in the football rabid area, as bleak of a possibility as it may be, the midwest's most prominent conference would at least be able to lay claim to a tiny bit of the territory and lay the ground works for a rather ancillary pipeline north.

And then of course there's Duke. While Duke football has taken decades to return to even fringe prominence, Duke basketball (and academics, despite being a smaller private school) fall far more in line with what the Big Ten seeks to represent. You have to wonder if Duke and Carolina could be a package deal of some sort (assuming interest on both parts and the league's interest in the former).

Where things go from here is tough to say. How much of it is credible is even harder. It certainly won't stop just about everyone from talking about it – up and through when there's actual football to discuss once again.

Patryn

As an MSU alumni with a slightly more than passing interest in CFB (but not knowledgeable enough to keep up with this thread), and a whole ton of sports writers I knew in college in my Twitter feed, I figured I'd mention that there's a rumor floating around right now that UNC and Virginia have been approached by the Big Ten.

Take as you will (it's Twitter, after all).

And beaten.

Draxal

Woops beaten like a dog, the one thing I will say is that they thought Georgia Tech was going to be the partner school with Maryland when it was pretty obvious that it was Rutgers the entire time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I thought I heard Georgia Southern was trying to get into the Sun Belt? During their game with Old Dominion the commentators were talking about how both programs were looking at moving to FBS.

Why in God's name were you watching this game?

Well, if Delany does manage to snag UNC and UVA, hopefully it will placate the whiny Maryland fans who have been complaining about losing their imaginary rivalries with imaginary rivals like UNC.

Well, if Delany does manage to snag UNC and UVA, hopefully it will placate the whiny Maryland fans who have been complaining about losing their imaginary rivalries with imaginary rivals like UNC.

We'll play them and use our dumb wood turtle we use in our Illinois *rivalry* as the trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom