• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

EVERYONE TO THE B1G!

Edit: Except Tennessee.

Because fuck them.

You wouldn't like to see them banished to the minor leagues? Is it because you want to keep having games against Dooley?

We doubled Tui's pay when he came up from UCLA. I wonder if QB coaches routinely make significantly more than TE coaches.

He will have a base salary of $198,000 for his first full year and $213,000 for his season (the raise goes into effect on Dec. 30, 2013). He will also receive a guaranteed $12,000 each year for “consultations, appearances and representations” on behalf of the school. Tuiasosopo was reported to have made $100,000 last year as a receivers/tight ends coach at UCLA.

He also has a number of performance incentives that are standard for the assistants at UW, including $6,000 for appearing in the Pac-12 title game and $10,000 for winning it, $10,000 for appearing in the Alamo or Holiday bowls and $5,000 for any other non-BCS bowl, $20,000 for appearing in a BCS bowl, and $25,000 for winning the national title.

Draxal

I'm so glad I didn't grow up in New York.

If I had to go to a SUNY school I'd kill myself.

It just always boggled my mind that NY never had a gigantic landgrant school, it's population could support it, it's not like upstate has no land to use. Nope, have to use a retarded Suny system instead.

edit. Stony Brook has 25k enrollment, that's alot larger than I thought it was.

It just always boggled my mind that NY never had a gigantic landgrant school, it's population could support it, it's not like upstate has no land to use. Nope, have to use a retarded Suny system instead.

The problem is that Cornell was founded as the state's land grant school, so it should have become the flagship public university for the state of New York. But it turned into a private school instead (aside from the quasi-public statuary colleges) and now serves a very different purpose.

So they started the SUNY system, which basically converted a bunch of preexisting liberal arts schools into public universities. And overall, they're just very mediocre schools, and aside from UBuffalo, their endowments are downright pathetic. You almost always find SUNY schools on top of "Most Unhappy Students" rankings, and their graduates have almost no pride in their schools.

I think it's really unfair to students in New York, to be quite honest. The gap between the state's public and private universities is vast.

Talon

Or Chicago...

Draxal

The problem is that Cornell was founded as the state's land grant school, so it should have become the flagship public university for the state of New York. But it turned into a private school instead (aside from the quasi-public statuary colleges) and now serves a very different purpose.

So they started the SUNY system, which basically converted a bunch of preexisting liberal arts schools into public universities. And overall, they're just very mediocre schools, and aside from UBuffalo, their endowments are downright pathetic. You almost always find SUNY schools on top of "Most Unhappy Students" rankings, and their graduates have almost no pride in their schools.

I think it's really unfair to students in New York, to be quite honest. The gap between the state's public and private universities is vast.

Let me guess it was the GI Bill that caused the suny system, because that's what happened to Rutgers, small liberal arts school converted to the state university due to the GI Bill, unlike New York where you have Cornell, Columbia, NYU, there's only Princeton in NJ so it's not as bad (although alot of the HS kids leave the state).

Or Chicago...

You have the University of Illinois, oh ... wait I get the joke, it just took me a while.

Let me guess it was the GI Bill that caused the suny system, because that's what happened to Rutgers, small liberal arts school converted to the state university due to the GI Bill, unlike New York where you have Cornell, Columbia, NYU, there's only Princeton in NJ so it's not as bad (although alot of the HS kids leave the state).

It might be somewhat related to the G.I. bill. I'm not entirely sure.

But SUNY was largely shaped by Nelson Rockefeller and his administration. That I do know.

andycapps

Pretty sad chapter comes to a close.. I mentioned the kid last year, but Kolton Houston was an OL from UGA and came to the school in the spring of 2010 and tested positive for a banned substance, Norandrolone. He'd had an injury in highschool and during that time his HS was giving him stuff to take during rehab and apparently didn't know that something they gave him contained a banned substance. So he had to sit out. He hasn't taken it since highschool but because it stays in your body indefinitely, he hasn't been able to play until it went below the allowable threshold. And it has never gone below that. UGA's doctors tracked that the level has never gone up so he hasn't taken any into his body since highschool, but that's not enough for Emmert and it appears that he or UGA have given up.

“It’s been tough on him to go this long and not get a chance to play,” Georgia coach Mark Richt said in December. “We’re in a situation where whether he plays or doesn’t play he’s part of our 85 (scholarship) number. We can’t medically give him a DQ on this thing. He’s either going to make it or he’s not but in the meantime he counts in the 85. If he ever gets to the point where he reaches whatever threshold they’re looking for and he still wants to play then we want him to play. It will be up to him.”

Georgia last August released 19 pages of documents to the media, including five letters related to his appeal. In a letter of appeal to NCAA president Mark Emmert last July, Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity called it “very disappointing” that Houston’s eligibility remained in question despite no evidence of re-use.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Pretty sad chapter comes to a close.. I mentioned the kid last year, but Kolton Houston was an OL from UGA and came to the school in the spring of 2010 and tested positive for a banned substance, Norandrolone. He'd had an injury in highschool and during that time his HS was giving him stuff to take during rehab and apparently didn't know that something they gave him contained a banned substance. So he had to sit out. He hasn't taken it since highschool but because it stays in your body indefinitely, he hasn't been able to play until it went below the allowable threshold. And it has never gone below that. UGA's doctors tracked that the level has never gone up so he hasn't taken any into his body since highschool, but that's not enough for Emmert and it appears that he or UGA have given up.
Just another example that the NCAA doesn't give a damn about the kids.

andycapps

Just another example that the NCAA doesn't give a damn about the kids.

Yup, Emmert specifically referenced the level that couldn't be exceeded, where the team doctor's point was that they've tracked during numerous tests that it hasn't been taken again, he's not gaining any benefit from it at this time, and that it had leveled out. Who knows if it will ever drop below that point. Just a case of the NCAA missing the forest for the trees and not using common sense to deviate from procedures.

What's sad is that several times we'd heard about how dominant he was being in practices at tackle, but we'll never get to see and he'll never get to see how good he really is. All because of the jackasses at the NCAA can't use common sense.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So ESPN decided to match the NBC Big East offer. I mean at this point, why evem bother? ESPN accomplished quite a bit making the BE a new CUSA. Are they that desperate for control over CFB and keeping NBC out that they would actually match?

The deal still isn't equal since the NBC deal actually includes NBC network games in addition to NBC Sports Network.

Draxal

So ESPN decided to match the NBC Big East offer. I mean at this point, why evem bother? ESPN accomplished quite a bit making the BE a new CUSA. Are they that desperate for control over CFB and keeping NBC out that they would actually match?

The deal still isn't equal since the NBC deal actually includes NBC network games in addition to NBC Sports Network.

Honestly, you guys got lowballed by the NBC deal, and the NBC network coverage kinda blows compared to ESPN.

If NBC actually wanted to be a player they would have offered more.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Honestly, you guys got lowballed by the NBC deal, and the NBC network coverage kinda blows compared to ESPN.

If NBC actually wanted to be a player they would have offered more.

I think NBC has sank so much money in the ND deal, they might not be willing to put up any more money. Has it been a money maker for them over time?

ChiTownBuffalo

Draxal

I think NBC has sank so much money in the ND deal, they might not be willing to put up any more money. Has it been a money maker for them over time?

I think they lost money off the time, but it was a sweetheart deal for ND due to Ebersol being an ND Alumni. Otherwise, I think the NBC sports channel has a reputation of being miserly.

But yeah, Espn is going to lose inventory for sure in basketball to fox (the c7) and is in real jeapardy of losing the BIG 10 in 2016.

ChiTownBuffalo

They're actually getting kicked out of the SEC in favor of Cal, is what I heard. The B1G is the only place that would take them since their academic standards aren't as strict as the SEC and everywhere else.

You grossly overestimate Cal's ability to affect the curve there. Unless SEC is going bell curve.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
They're actually getting kicked out of the SEC in favor of Cal, is what I heard. The B1G is the only place that would take them since their academic standards aren't as strict as the SEC and everywhere else.

How excited will you be when Cal plays your Tigers?

lololool BEAST. Rejected the original ESPN offer of $130 million per year(rejected by the schools that later left anyway) only to end up back on ESPN anyway for a TOTAL deal of $130 million for 6 years.

LOLOLOOLOLLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
lololool BEAST. Rejected the original ESPN offer of $130 million per year(rejected by the schools that later left anyway) only to end up back on ESPN anyway for a TOTAL deal of $130 million for 6 years.

:lolol

Might need to try and sell the BEAST some timeshares!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Why do you hate your own people?

Draxal

It was Pitt/Rutgers/Georgetown and one other school, forget which as you mentioned who have all left the conference. I still blame Marinatto btw, upgrading Villanova caused Pitt to go away, and once Pitt gone ND was gone, otherwise Rutgers would of had no spot in the B10 (they were holding out for ND).

It was Pitt/Rutgers/Georgetown and one other school, forget which as you mentioned who have all left the conference. I still blame Marinatto btw, upgrading Villanova caused Pitt to go away, and once Pitt gone ND was gone, otherwise Rutgers would of had no spot in the B10 (they were holding out for ND).

Likely at least USF. At the time the 9th school was TCU and the 10th would have been UCF. We know that deal included UCF as school 10. USF, as you can imagine, did everything possible to prevent that. Marinatto trying to elevate Nova certainly didn't help as you said - but all it took was the FB schools straight up saying no and telling USF to shut the hell up.

And also not helping is that we know for a fact ESPN was shopping BE teams to other conferences like the ACC.

My only solace in this is the fact due largely in part to USF's paranoia, they got demoted over this too.

Draxal

Likely at least USF. At the time the 9th school was TCU and the 10th would have been UCF. We know that deal included UCF as school 10. USF, as you can imagine, did everything possible to prevent that. Marinatto trying to elevate Nova certainly didn't help as you said - but all it took was the FB schools straight up saying no and telling USF to shut the hell up.

And also not helping is that we know for a fact ESPN was shopping BE teams to other conferences like the ACC.

My only solace in this is the fact due largely in part to USF's paranoia, they got demoted over this too.

It wasn't USF, USF was very closely aligned to Providence as were the other two former CUSA schools. Syracuse just went along with the flow as they always wanted out while, Pitt/WVU were pretty loyal until shit hit the fan (Villanova promotion/Pitt-Cuse leaving). I honestly remember it being Seton Hall as the fourth school rejecting it.

Good summary of the bad blood between the football schools (why VPI desperately wanted out) and the basketall schools history from a Rutger's persepective.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2011/9/18/2432621/the-big-easts-treachery-and-lies

key

lol UL did their part in making the hole in the first place.

How so? UofL left because they basically had no other choice. Their football is back to pre-Kragthorpe level, and staying in the new Big East would've killed all momentum. If you want to blame someone, blame Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Or maybe West Virginia for starting the ball rolling.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
another flurry of assistant coach moves in the last couple hours.

Alabama's WR coach (and Recruiting Coordinator) Mike Groh has left to go to the Chicago Bears, and Alabama immediately hired Billy Napier from FSU (who was only there for a month).

FSU has possibly hired Trooper Taylor to be TE coach and Recruiting Coordinator (and also signalling FSU imminent demise, and wherever he goes, disaster follows as a result of his illegal recruiting and towel waving.

KingGondo

Banned

Alabama's WR coach (and Recruiting Coordinator) Mike Groh has left to go to the Chicago Bears, and Alabama immediately hired Billy Napier from FSU (who was only there for a month).

FSU has possibly hired Trooper Taylor to be TE coach and Recruiting Coordinator (and also signalling FSU imminent demise, and wherever he goes, disaster follows as a result of his illegal recruiting and towel waving.
I remember being excited when Gundy brought Trooper on at OSU.

My excitement dissipated quickly.

andycapps

Thank God I won't have to watch him ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom