• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Haven't been paying attention since signing day, what are the rumors for conference expansion at the moment?

Also, unemployment really killed off the amount of college football news I read.

Random acc team to the Big 10/Sec/Big 12, with UNC to Big 10 being hot. I know for a fact that the big 10 wants to go 16 by 2014, but they're having trouble getting uva/unc to split.

Random acc team to the Big 10/Sec/Big 12, with UNC to Big 10 being hot. I know for a fact that the big 10 wants to go 16 by 2014, but they're having trouble getting uva/unc to split.

They have a lot of control in the ACC, and UNC is probably hesitant to leave Duke. Duke is probably like Baylor in Texas, punching above its weight because of a disproportionate amount of state legislators went there compared to the actual fan base.

Draxal

They have a lot of control in the ACC, and UNC is probably hesitant to leave Duke.

Yeah, the board of trustees and the entire fanbase in NC would riot. Bertramcooper kept on mentioning on how salty the Maryland fanbase was leaving the ACC when it made so much fiscal sense for them to do, and alot of the fanbase does realize it and was really supportive of the move. The entire UNC fanbase is 100% against the move, and I think the trustees are 100% against it (let's face it Trustees are usually superfans instead of people who care about the best academic interest of the university).

Duke isn't the problem in the legislature for them, it's NC state, like Texas had a "tech" problem according to Gordon Gee.

Yeah, the board of trustees and the entire fanbase in NC would riot. Bertramcooper kept on mentioning on how salty the Maryland fanbase was leaving the ACC when it made so much fiscal sense for them to do, and alot of the fanbase does realize it and was really supportive of the move. The entire UNC fanbase is 100% against the move, and I think the trustees are 100% against it (let's face it Trustees are usually superfans instead of people who care about the best academic interest of the university).

Also, UNC is in the Research Triangle, and I don't know how that compares to the CIC.

Duke isn't the problem in the legislature for them, it's NC state, like Texas had a "tech" problem according to Gordon Gee.

Tech problems to get into the Big 10, Baylor problems for the Pac 10.

Hell, those two are the reason we formed the Big 12 after the SWC fell apart rather then going to the Pac 10 back in 1996.

Draxal

Also, UNC is in the Research Triangle, and I don't know how that compares to the CIC.

Tech problems to get into the Big 10, Baylor problems for the Pac 10.

Hell, those two are the reason we formed the Big 12 after the SWC fell apart rather then going to the Pac 10 back in 1996.

In all honesty, I think Delany would take Texas over ND over UNC in the expansion rounds, but it has so much assorted baggage now (LHN/Tech/Baylor) that I think FSU is the best willing candidate to actually move.

jakncoke

Banned
Seeing Tyler Bray run the 40 at the combine is the first time I've heard that he entered the draft. Was he a senior?

He was apart of the record setting early entrant class this year. Also I can see why he'd leave early this years qb crop is appearing really weak for qb needy teams.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
if Bray wasn't so [nasty comment goes here], he'd be a top 5 guy. Got the arm, the height, and can be an accurate passer. To have that plus Hunter, Patterson, and at a time Rodgers, and barely win football games.....

As somebody who is partial to the Big East (for sentimental reasons mainly now as the teams I grew up watching are now gone), I think all things being equal resigning with ESPN was better than going to NBC. ESPN now has no reason to constantly throw the Big East under the bus as they have made a point of doing for the last few years. Though the Big East had rough times, they really went out of their way to pile on the Big East. Ultimately, given how watered down C-USA has become, UCF is in much better shape now. If the Big East got that much money, the C-USA product will definitely be valued for far less.

The Big East needs to stay away from UMass- they can't afford another football team that has no hope of being relevant. Tulsa is a much, much better option for all sports membership.
Yeah, I look at the CUSA schedule and I'm like - wow, yeah the BE sucks now, but it is still much better than that. Sunbelt and FCS teams basically. But still a punch in the gut compared to how things were looking and could have been a couple of years ago. That non-AQ access game spot should come down to the MWC or BE. And I know I'm finally off the Boise St hype train...

As for Tulsa, I know they have done great things with their athletics department given their position in the shadow of OU and OSU, but their tiny enrollment concerns me. Little shot at carving a significant niche for themselves. Agreed on UMass.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Missouri-Truman.jpg

andycapps

Remember when Hugh Freeze asked for people to send him emails if they had evidence of violations? Well, the emails came, but Ole Miss hasn't released any of note. They've said that some are still being researched but they don't think there's anything there (they would say that if there wasn't, but still).

Here are some excerpts:

“Go home Hugh, you’re drunk.”

“Your football coach tweeted a request to send emails to your office with proof of recruiting violations. Any decent football player signing to play for your pathetic football team is all the proof needed.”

“Hope you guys get a ton (of) emails and a few viruses.”

One emailer took issue with Freeze’s grammar. “I have two things to report. The first issue is that he did not end the last sentence in his tweet with a period. The second is that if he is referring to “these young men,” then he should have used the plural “families” instead the singular “family.” These are both violations of grammar. As an institution of higher learning, Ole Miss should hold its highest paid public figures to a standard of using the language properly.”

“You need to do an in depth investigation of the recruitment of (redacted) and (redacted). Mr. (redacted) posted pies [sic] of a large amount of cash while he was on a recent visit to ole miss. Mr. (redacted) has been headed to either alabama or georgia for the last two years and in a week he suddenly wants to come to your trash pile of a college.”

lush

if Bray wasn't so [nasty comment goes here], he'd be a top 5 guy. Got the arm, the height, and can be an accurate passer. To have that plus Hunter, Patterson, and at a time Rodgers, and barely win football games.....
Hated Dooley. Chaney didn't help him out much with the playcalling.

Then, Sunseri. We put up 31 ppg in the SEC last year and won one game(lost putting up 44 on Georgia and 48 on Missouri).

The curse continues on Rocky Top today as Jay Graham(RB coach, former player, and only remaining coach from Dooley's staff) bails for FSU. This coming after the Tee Martin turndown. Postitivity never lasts, just bad shit all the time. The butthurt is pretty fun though.

lush

Dave Hart, doing some work!
He and Cheek are absolutely destroying this program. Might as well just disband the program at this point.

But yeah, if this isn't confirmation for Dooley 2.0 I don't know what is.

Also alot of rumors out there already for fucking Trooper Taylor. Ugh.....

andycapps

He and Cheek are absolutely destroying this program. Might as well just disband the program at this point.

But yeah, if this isn't confirmation for Dooley 2.0 I don't know what is.

Also alot of rumors out there already for fucking Trooper Taylor. Ugh.....

That Tennessee would take him from FSU? I was looking forward to never seeing him again.

Draxal

Copying and pasting from Rutgers Rivals.

In case anyone wanted to listen Kevin Harlan a CBS play by play guy for college basketball and NFL did a B10 game this weekend had an interview on a radio station. He says he spoke with 2 people he trusts and not to be surprised if the B10 eventually goes to 20 and some names he threw out for possibly joining some years down the line were Mizzou/Kansas. He thinks 16 is the number but 18-20 possible too. Now those 2 schools weren't 2 I would have ever thought because of the GOR and SEC affiliation. That I suppose is one way to possibly get at UNC that doesn't concern FSU but I find that scenario even more unbelievable but with expansion who the hell knows.

Anyways here's a link that can take you to the podcast. It's under the border patrol heading and it's the Kevin Harlan interview. His B10 comments start around 21:01 mark in the interview.

http://www.810whb.com/page.php?page_id=140

So it's pretty much.

EVERYONE TO THE B1G!

Edit: Except Tennessee.

Because fuck them.

TheNatural

My Member!

One team who's HOF coach has retired now in basketball, and never was even a footbal playing member until about 8 years ago.

When you think of Big East, you think of basketball, and of the split you have a heck of a lot more history on the Catholic 7 side of the Big East than just UCONN on the other side.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
One team who's HOF coach has retired now in basketball, and never was even a footbal playing member until about 8 years ago.

When you think of Big East, you think of basketball, and of the split you have a heck of a lot more history on the Catholic 7 side of the Big East than just UCONN on the other side.

I agree, but to say UConn has done "fuck all" for basketball in the BEast is moronic.

Draxal

I'll be frank, as a fan rooting for a team that had no basketball progress in the last 25 years. Uconn and Cincinnati = Gtown/Marquette, and the other c7 schools are just as mired in mediocrity as Rutgers.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'll be frank, as a fan rooting for a team that had no basketball progress in the last 25 years. Uconn and Cincinnati = Gtown/Marquette, and the other c7 schools are just as mired in mediocrity as Rutgers.

Except Marquette hasn't been in the Big East long, neither has Cincy.

It's UCONN vs. GTown, Nova, St John's, Seton Hall, and Providence. Granted many of those teams aren't doing great currently, but there's a hell of a lot more tradition in that group than just one school that has any longterm association with the conference on the other side.

Plus, as a league that's been transformed by football and for football, the Big East name has no name value to this future football league. If anything, it has negative value for all the "Big Least" comments the past several years.

It should reform and be thought of as a East Coast strong basketball conference, not as a shit tier league competing with the MAC in football.

Draxal

Except Marquette hasn't been in the Big East long, neither has Cincy.

It's UCONN vs. GTown, Nova, St John's, Seton Hall, and Providence. Granted many of those teams aren't doing great currently, but there's a hell of a lot more tradition in that group than just one school that has any longterm association with the conference on the other side.

Plus, as a league that's been transformed by football and for football, the Big East name has no name value to this future football league. If anything, it has negative value for all the "Big Least" comments the past several years.

It should reform and be thought of as a East Coast strong basketball conference, not as a shit tier league competing with the MAC in football.

Oh, I'm just salty at the C7 for everything they did to the conference.

Draxal

Reason you go to 20 is intraconference playoffs. He's not the first person to say it, it's been rumored for a while that the Big is going anywhere from 16-20 teams. I think it'd be best for everybody if it's 16, too many conferences would be utterly destroyed if the Big went to 20.

TheNatural

My Member!
Reason you go to 20 is intraconference playoffs. He's not the first person to say it, it's been rumored for a while that the Big is going anywhere from 16-20 teams. I think it'd be best for everybody if it's 16, too many conferences would be utterly destroyed if the Big went to 20.

Big 12 teams signed their media rights to the league. That makes it as unappealing as possible for another conference to take a team.

The only way this happens is if at minimum the big 4 conferences intend on breaking away from the NCAA. Which is certainly possible - but probably quite a ways off.

Otherwise, I don't see the NCAA allowing such a setup and a playoff to determine a conference champ.

Draxal

It's not a conference if there are 20 teams in it. Even with divisions, you'd barely be able to play everyone in your own division. Forget about playing anyone from the other one. And if you're not playing anyone from the other division, it's not really a conference anymore.

Ayup, but it's looking like this is the future. All the fans hate it for good reason but megaconferences are in vogue right now

There's a reason the BIG was looking at 10 conference games.

Big 12 teams signed their media rights to the league. That makes it as unappealing as possible for another conference to take a team.

It's not likely that GOR will hold up in court, like the ACC's exit fees (the amount is too punitive) will probably not hold up in court. However, I don't see the BIG poaching from the 12.

The only way this happens is if at minimum the big 4 conferences intend on breaking away from the NCAA. Which is certainly possible - but probably quite a ways off.

Otherwise, I don't see the NCAA allowing such a setup and a playoff to determine a conference champ.

Splitting off from the NCAA is the true endgame for the SEC/BIG/PAC, and this isn't coming from some guys from WV. It's pretty much what the Teddy Greensteins/Brett McMurphy's all think.

andycapps

It's not a conference if there are 20 teams in it. Even with divisions, you'd barely be able to play everyone in your own division. Forget about playing anyone from the other one. And if you're not playing anyone from the other division, it's not really a conference anymore.

This.. To play everyone in your division and then a decent amount of teams in the other division you'd have to increase regular season games to at least 14 and have zero non-conference games. Then in your scenario you'd be talking about a bunch of playoff games. That wouldn't be CFB anymore.. I'd tune out.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ayup, but it's looking like this is the future. All the fans hate it for good reason but megaconferences are in vogue right now

There's a reason the BIG was looking at 10 conference games.

It's not likely that GOR will hold up in court, like the ACC's exit fees (the amount is too punitive) will probably not hold up in court. However, I don't see the BIG poaching from the 12.

Splitting off from the NCAA is the true endgame for the SEC/BIG/PAC, and this isn't coming from some guys from WV. It's pretty much what the Teddy Greensteins/Brett McMurphy's all think.

Even if it doesn't hold up in court completely, chances are something substantial will come out of damages, along with a long expensive legal battle.

I think you're over-exaggerating. Most of this expansion stuff has diminishing returns after so many teams. What are Kansas and Mizzou in the Big Ten really going to do at this point? Mizzou just kissed the feet of the Big Ten to try to get in and almost got exiled from the Big XII for it, before the SEC bailed them out to have an aTm tag along.

Plus the NCAA 'break off' is a little exaggerated. The NCAA is formed of all schools and Presidents and goes a hell of a lot deeper than just football. They're going to spend all that TV money to build an infrastructure for a governing body, and dealing with all the logistics involved in having competition for all kinds of non revenue sports?

What happens when you have to cut sports because it turns out the 6 other teams involved in womens rifling aren't in that group? You cut the sport - then deal with cutting mens schollys as well because of Title IX?

There's a hell of a lot more into this that involves way more money and planning than just "Derp, tired of NCAA, we dun, give us more moneys ESPN."

Draxal

Even if it doesn't hold up in court completely, chances are something substantial will come out of damages, along with a long expensive legal battle.

I think you're over-exaggerating. Most of this expansion stuff has diminishing returns after so many teams. What are Kansas and Mizzou in the Big Ten really going to do at this point? Mizzou just kissed the feet of the Big Ten to try to get in and almost got exiled from the Big XII for it, before the SEC bailed them out to have an aTm tag along.

Plus the NCAA 'break off' is a little exaggerated. The NCAA is formed of all schools and Presidents and goes a hell of a lot deeper than just football. They're going to spend all that TV money to build an infrastructure for a governing body, and dealing with all the logistics involved in having competition for all kinds of non revenue sports?

What happens when you have to cut sports because it turns out the 6 other teams involved in womens rifling aren't in that group? You cut the sport - then deal with cutting mens schollys as well because of Title IX?

There's a hell of a lot more into this that involves way more money and planning than just "Derp, tired of NCAA, we dun, give us more moneys ESPN."

I'm just reporting what I read, as I really have no clue what's going to happen, but Harlan is a legitimate name and I was just backing up what he said as there's been definite rumors as to what he said (and apparently Harlan himself is skeptical of what's going to happen).

The big 3 conferences want to split from the NCAA as I think their goals have diverged (look how many schools are going up to FCS), and yes there's a financial reason to especially in basketball (March Madness subsidizes the NCAA and alot of the small school conferences.

Just providing the reasoning why they want to do this, I in all honesty have no clue what's going to happen.

edit, and Yeah, the legal battle is not going to be worth it for the Big to poach from the Big 12.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm just reporting what I read, as I really have no clue what's going to happen, but Harlan is a legitimate name and I was just backing up what he said as there's been definite rumors as to what he said (and apparently Harlan himself is skeptical of what's going to happen).

The big 3 conferences want to split from the NCAA as I think their goals have diverged (look how many schools are going up to FCS), and yes there's a financial reason to especially in basketball (March Madness subsidizes the NCAA and alot of the small school conferences.

Just providing the reasoning why they want to do this, I in all honesty have no clue what's going to happen.

edit, and Yeah, the legal battle is not going to be worth it for the Big to poach from the Big 12.

It's just speculation from anyone in the media. We've been through it before, and the way more conservative move has always been made. Like Texas and OU and a couple of other schools going to form the PAC 16 and the Big East merging with the rest, the SEC taking Florida State and another to go to 16, and so on.

The grandiose expansion predictions never seem to happen, unless you're involved in the Big East, it's all been pretty moderate.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Maybe they can do all the conference expansion stuff during e3 again. Unfortunately, we can't plan a secret topic to post in because there's a traitorous mod in here!

Due to the complexity of the NCAA affiliation, yeah I don't see a real move to break way from it for awhile. At least 10 years.

But I think it is a likely scenario. Create a new oversight organization tailored to the whims of 60-80 total teams instead of hundreds and hundreds the NCAA is responsible for now.

Subitai

Maybe they can do all the conference expansion stuff during e3 again. Unfortunately, we can't plan a secret topic to post in because there's a traitorous mod in here!

I thought we just took over the NCAA Football thread. I've been at unavailable at work for the last few E3s so I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom