• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so? UofL left because they basically had no other choice. Their football is back to pre-Kragthorpe level, and staying in the new Big East would've killed all momentum. If you want to blame someone, blame Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Or maybe West Virginia for starting the ball rolling.

UL and others in the middle of contract negotiations did everything publicly possible to undermine those negotiations. So no it wasn't fully UL's fault but they certainly did not help. And btw, let's not pretend UL was the dominate force in the BE or anything and was head and above the rest of the conference...

Everyone wanted a payday that second instead of waiting to even let the TV talks hit an open market. I mean at the end of the day, I guess I can't blame the schools for doing what they can. I guarantee, and open market BE with the teams proposed from right after TCU was around plus a couple others to get to 12 would at the very least have ACC-type money anyway.

But at the same time, their very actions are what helped put the BE in this position in the first place. Remember, the BE office takes orders from the school presidents. Not the other way around.

Then of course ESPN will do what they can because it means keeping NBC out of legitimate college football. ND doesn't count.

Eh, I saw a Hawkeyes post on the Rutgers board about it (lot of Big 10 alumnis post on Rutgers Rivals for some weird reason), everybody and their mother is recruiting Florida right now, and they were losing battles in Florida for some obvious reasons. So they're focusing on Texas where they think have a much better shot when some of their new coaches have ties there.

Yeah, Florida is crowded, but pulling out of it entirely? That's pretty stupid.

Ferentz doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. He's insanely overpaid and his program is going to shit. Bailing on Florida should not be seen by Iowa fans as a positive in any way.

Draxal

Yeah, Florida is crowded, but pulling out of it entirely? That's pretty stupid.

Ferentz doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. He's insanely overpaid and his program is going to shit. Bailing on Florida should not be seen by Iowa fans as a positive in any way.

I wouldn't cry if he stays there, Rutgers managed to poach their db coach from Iowa, due to philosophical differences.

I'm just thinking you're thinking it from an OSU perspective, where you're extremely sexy to Florida kids, instead of an Iowa perspective where they're extremely unsexy to Florida kids especially since Ferentz has lost of all his luster (he was pretty much the only reason to go to Iowa in the first place).

I wouldn't cry if he stays there, Rutgers managed to poach their db coach from Iowa, due to philosophical differences.

I'm just thinking you're thinking it from an OSU perspective, where you're extremely sexy to Florida kids, instead of an Iowa perspective where they're extremely unsexy to Florida kids especially since Ferentz has lost of all his luster (he was pretty much the only reason to go to Iowa in the first place).

But the pink visitors locker rooms!!!!

We don't get that many Florida recruits, actually. When we do get them, yeah, they're typically four- or five-star guys, but we don't rely on Florida by any means.

I stole this from an Iowa message board that's discussing this exact topic. It lists the number of Florida recrutis B1G schools have gotten in the past few years.

Screen-Shot-2013-02-20-at-9.35.35-AM.png

Iowa has traditionally been a solid mid-tier B1G program, certainly stronger than Illinois and Minnesota. There's no reason why Iowa can't be hitting Florida as heavily as the rest of the B1G.

Draxal

We don't get that many Florida recruits, actually. When we do get them, yeah, they're typically four- or five-star guys, but we don't rely on Florida by any means.

I stole this from an Iowa message board that's discussing this exact topic. It lists the number of Florida recrutis B1G schools have gotten in the past few years.

Iowa has traditionally been a solid mid-tier B1G program, certainly stronger than Illinois and Minnesota. There's no reason why Iowa can't be hitting Florida as heavily as the rest of the B1G.

Yeah, you guys don't many Florida guys because you didn't need to. However, if push came to shove how many of the Florida guys that went to Purdue/Minnesota would flip to OSU, if OSU had the space for them. I'd guarantee it about 90% of them at least (some wouldn't flip because they would have no shot at playing time/coach relationship etc).

I'll be honest Rutgers has managed to get some four star players in the past from Florida, but that's because Schiano had very close ties to the that area (he was the DC when Miami was Miami) and he could also sell the New York angle (it's a 45 min trip to NYC on train/car), It is going to taper off with Flood, and when we hit Florida it's going to be for positions that New Jersey/Maryland/Eastern PA has nothing in, Rutgers is going to lose the higher tier players in FLA to the other schools (see Skai Moore).

If Iowa think they should refocus on Texas/Missouri Valley I really can't blame them for thinking so.

Yeah, you guys don't many Florida guys because you didn't need to. However, if push came to shove how many of the Florida guys that went to Purdue/Minnesota would flip to OSU, if OSU had the space for them. I'd guarantee it about 90% of them at least (some wouldn't flip because they would have no shot at playing time/coach relationship etc).

I'll be honest Rutgers has managed to get some four star players in the past from Florida, but that's because Schiano had very close ties to the that area (he was the DC when Miami was Miami) and he could also sell the New York angle (it's a 45 min trip to NYC on train/car), It is going to taper off with Flood, and when we hit Florida it's going to be for positions that New Jersey/Maryland/Eastern PA has nothing in, Rutgers is going to lose the higher tier players in FLA to the other schools (see Skai Moore).

If Iowa think they should refocus on Texas/Missouri Valley I really can't blame them for thinking so.

Iowa has struggled in Florida because Bielema was great at recruiting there when he was an assistant. Since he left, they haven't been able to regain a foothold. That's all on Ferentz. If you don't have an assistant who can recruit there, you get one. I mean, since they're grossly overpaying Ferentz, they must be able to grossly overpay their assistants, too. You should be able to get someone with a Florida connection.

Everybody should be recruiting Florida in some capacity. Pulling out of there entirely is just so goddamned stupid.

EDIT: Just curious but how many states did everyone's school pull recruits from this year? Quick look says Nebraska is at 17 different states including Canada.

I count 11 for OSU.

Ohio
Texas
Mississippi
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Indiana
Missouri
Florida
California
New Jersey

Draxal

Rutgers:
New York
New Jersey
Maryland
Delaware
Florida
Michigan

We did get a fifth year grad trasnfer guy from Utah as a punter, but I don't think that should count.

tokkun

IIRC most of those Illinois and Minnesota recruits are juco transfers, not hs recruits, and some programs are wary about going that route unless they urgently need to fill positions.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Texas Tech this year had -

California 3 (all JUCO)
Georgia 4
Kansas 1 (JUCO)
Louisiana 1
Michigan 1
Texas 14

The Louisiana one is Ed Williams who hasn't technically signed yet so that one is kind of pending; he has said that when he turns 18 he's going to be coming to Lubbock and signing his financial aid paperwork whether his parents sign his LOI or not.

The Kansas JUCO is originally from Georgia as well so we kind of got 5 from GA this year. Don't recall where the 3 CA JUCO came from originally.

Draxal

IIRC most of those Illinois and Minnesota recruits are juco transfers, not hs recruits, and some programs are wary about going that route unless they urgently need to fill positions.

And some can't as credits usually don't xfer for some of the schools.

andycapps

Texas Tech this year had -

California 3 (all JUCO)
Georgia 4
Kansas 1 (JUCO)
Louisiana 1
Michigan 1
Texas 14

The Louisiana one is Ed Williams who hasn't technically signed yet so that one is kind of pending; he has said that when he turns 18 he's going to be coming to Lubbock and signing his financial aid paperwork whether his parents sign his LOI or not.

The Kansas JUCO is originally from Georgia as well so we kind of got 5 from GA this year. Don't recall where the 3 CA JUCO came from originally.

The Kansas and Virginia ones that Georgia got are from JUCO's in those states, I'm not sure what states they're from. Rivals does it by whatever school they're coming from, whether it's highschool or JUCO.

TheNatural

My Member!
UL and others in the middle of contract negotiations did everything publicly possible to undermine those negotiations. So no it wasn't fully UL's fault but they certainly did not help. And btw, let's not pretend UL was the dominate force in the BE or anything and was head and above the rest of the conference...

Everyone wanted a payday that second instead of waiting to even let the TV talks hit an open market. I mean at the end of the day, I guess I can't blame the schools for doing what they can. I guarantee, and open market BE with the teams proposed from right after TCU was around plus a couple others to get to 12 would at the very least have ACC-type money anyway.

But at the same time, their very actions are what helped put the BE in this position in the first place. Remember, the BE office takes orders from the school presidents. Not the other way around.

Then of course ESPN will do what they can because it means keeping NBC out of legitimate college football. ND doesn't count.

Yeah we're supposed to stay around even longer after a dozen other schools left to help a bunch of programs that were Div 1-AA a decade ago? Get the fuck outta here.

I don't get UCONN, USF, UCF, etc bitching about being left out in the cold when they weren't even FBS football a decade ago. Same goes for programs like Memphis, Temple, Houston, etc who never put money into the sport for decades and want to throw around a few mil recently and expect to be rewarded. Maybe Cincy has a beef with on field results, but they also didn't do anything to invest in their program or fanbase. Programs wanna say 'hey look here's some moneys, here's our TV market, let us in!' no matter if they have a bunch of transplant fans or not because they haven't even been in existence or decrepit programs that *just* started to make a commitment.

You know how long it took us to get in a conference, PERIOD? When we beat Alabama in the 91 Fiesta Bowl we didn't even have a conference. I would say the fact most of these programs have at least both a conference with a TV deal and a guaranteed Big 5 bowl shot if they do well is a hell of a lot better than basically any infant program in college football history.

Draxal

You know how long it took us to get in a conference, PERIOD? When we beat Alabama in the 91 Fiesta Bowl we didn't even have a conference. I would say the fact most of these programs have at least both a conference with a TV deal and a guaranteed Big 5 bowl shot if they do well is a hell of a lot better than basically any infant program in college football history.

What, METRO For life.

Seriously, though can't blame anybody for wanting to leave the Big East, it was a sinking ship with incompetent leadership (I blame Tranghese more then Marinatto although Marinatto cleary had some dumb Ideas with Nova).

Yeah we're supposed to stay around even longer after a dozen other schools left to help a bunch of programs that were Div 1-AA a decade ago? Get the fuck outta here.

I don't get UCONN, USF, UCF, etc bitching about being left out in the cold when they weren't even FBS football a decade ago. Same goes for programs like Memphis, Temple, Houston, etc who never put money into the sport for decades and want to throw around a few mil recently and expect to be rewarded. Maybe Cincy has a beef with on field results, but they also didn't do anything to invest in their program or fanbase. Programs wanna say 'hey look here's some moneys, here's our TV market, let us in!' no matter if they have a bunch of transplant fans or not because they haven't even been in existence or decrepit programs that *just* started to make a commitment.

I said like 3 times, at the end of the day I can't blame the schools for wanting out at this time. However, there is no doubt that the constant public lobbying directly helped to contribute to the destabilization of the BE - plus obviously the leadership - however the leaders are dictated by the schools themselves. The BE no doubt would have gotten somewhere close to the ACC deal if not equal if the 2010(or as it 2011) configuration was kept intact. So yeah, for that, I do blame multiple schools because the constant lobbying directly contributed to the instability and challenged the viability of getting that type of deal. Teams wanted that payday now now now instead of even letting an open market BE negotiation happen - that occured before any shit hit the fan.

As for your history, other teams have put in a lot of time too although maybe not as much. For UL, I'm not upset at least for now you're back at the table even if ACC looks to be teetering itself. But a team like UCF also has been investing for decades and is actually one of the only schools if not still the only to go from DIII in 1979 to DII to D1AA to DIA in 1996. Improving pretty much every year - year after year since inception. For a school just now 50 years old overall, that's about as much as you can do realistically all while having to compete against 3 other major schools in your state.

I'm not so much upset because the rug was pulled from under us this time around. It's more the system being setup to prevent teams from moving up in the future. It's going to be damn near impossible due to the BE successfully being squeezed out and how the TV contract worked out. So yeah, I'm going to continue to be an insufferable little bitch over it!

krzy123

The Kansas and Virginia ones that Georgia got are from JUCO's in those states, I'm not sure what states they're from. Rivals does it by whatever school they're coming from, whether it's highschool or JUCO.

I don't think VA has any football playing JUCOs, you're thinking of post grad prep schools like FUMA and Hargrave. I believe you retain your full eligibility going to a prep school.

FUMA also has a undergrad school, Hackenburg went there.

TheNatural

My Member!
I said like 3 times, at the end of the day I can't blame the schools for wanting out at this time. However, there is no doubt that the constant public lobbying directly helped to contribute to the destabilization of the BE - plus obviously the leadership - however the leaders are dictated by the schools themselves. The BE no doubt would have gotten somewhere close to the ACC deal if not equal if the 2010(or as it 2011) configuration was kept intact. So yeah, for that, I do blame multiple schools because the constant lobbying directly contributed to the instability and challenged the viability of getting that type of deal. Teams wanted that payday now now now instead of even letting an open market BE negotiation happen.

As for your history, other teams have put in a lot of time too although maybe not as much. For UL, I'm not upset at least for now you're back at the table even if ACC looks to be teetering itself. But a team like UCF also has been investing for decades and is actually one of the only schools if not still the only to go from DIII in 1979 to DII to D1AA to DIA in 1996. Improving pretty much every year - year after year since inception. For a school just now 50 years old overall, that's about as much as you can realistically while having to compete against 3 other major schools in your state.

I'm not so much upset because the rug was pulled from under us this time around. It's more the system being setup to prevent teams from moving up in the future. It's going to be damn near impossible due to the BE successfully being squeezed out and how the TV contract worked out. So yeah, I'm going to continue to be an insufferable little bitch over it!

The basketball schools voted against the ESPN deal years ago, along with Pittsburgh I believe balking at it. Not all schools are equal in this. Most fans bitched at our AD and Pitino for being loyal to the Big East to a fault before we were invited, because they were so grateful at getting a shot and Pitino with his roots in the conference and wanting to stay.

Of all the teams leaving, we're the least likely one to be bitched about. We're not threatening suits to get out or get the buyout lowered, we're honoring our buyout, we gave notice, and did it by the book.

You forget, way back when conference realignment started and teams like Miami and Va Tech moving opened up our spots in the first place. If the ACC didn't expand before, we don't get in the Big East. If C-USA isn't raided, you don't get in C-USA. If destabilization doesn't occur, no one's spot is improved.

Fact is, if this nonsense never started 8 years ago, we're still in C-USA and you're still in the MAC. Maybe it will be hard to move up now, but how hard was it years ago before this started? Hell it wasn't even discussed! Your conference was what it was, and you dealt with it.

Is our position better now in the ACC? Yup. But so is yours, especially compared to the MAC. Maybe not as good as the Big East as it was with everyone staying and TCU, but before this second wave started we dealt with rumors of the Big East losing it's bid from day one, so even if it had stayed together you may have not got an autobid to a big 5 conference anyway.

You have a chance to goto a big 5 bowl every year, which is a hell of a lot better than it has been for you.

andycapps

I don't think VA has any football playing JUCOs, you're thinking of post grad prep schools like FUMA and Hargrave. I believe you retain your full eligibility going to a prep school.

FUMA also has a undergrad school, Hackenburg went there.
You're right, the VA one was from Hargrave.

The basketball schools voted against the ESPN deal years ago, along with Pittsburgh I believe balking at it. Not all schools are equal in this. Most fans bitched at our AD and Pitino for being loyal to the Big East to a fault before we were invited, because they were so grateful at getting a shot and Pitino with his roots in the conference and wanting to stay.

Of all the teams leaving, we're the least likely one to be bitched about. We're not threatening suits to get out or get the buyout lowered, we're honoring our buyout, we gave notice, and did it by the book.

You forget, way back when conference realignment started and teams like Miami and Va Tech moving opened up our spots in the first place. If the ACC didn't expand before, we don't get in the Big East. If C-USA isn't raided, you don't get in C-USA. If destabilization doesn't occur, no one's spot is improved.

Fact is, if this nonsense never started 8 years ago, we're still in C-USA and you're still in the MAC. Maybe it will be hard to move up now, but how hard was it years ago before this started? Hell it wasn't even discussed! Your conference was what it was, and you dealt with it.

Is our position better now in the ACC? Yup. But so is yours, especially compared to the MAC. Maybe not as good as the Big East as it was with everyone staying and TCU, but before this second wave started we dealt with rumors of the Big East losing it's bid from day one, so even if it had stayed together you may have not got an autobid to a big 5 conference anyway.

You have a chance to goto a big 5 bowl every year, which is a hell of a lot better than it has been for you.
I recognize there has been alignment in the past that have benefited teams. But by and large, the BE held it's own on the field afterwards. From a performance standpoint, they recovered mostly. And also, it didn't cause the destruction of the conference(although it started it in it's own way I guess).

This realignment now has been clear in actively trying to make sure a conference is destroyed and squeeze out as many people as possible. Whole different ballgame and level of destabilization this time around. I also know UCF was mentioned in the 2003 round. But like you reference the Kragthrope years in FB as a dark time, we had our own dark time - but at the AD level. Came at the worst possible time and allowed a team like USF to get in ahead of us.

As for our position now, it's a wash. We're still in CUSA. The upcoming BE contract is literally a few hundred thousand per team per year larger than our current CUSA deal and access is suspect. I mean, given the requirement is to just be the highest ranked team from a non-AQ conference, our only worry is the MWC I guess.

Hopefully in a decade or when the upcoming TV deals expire there is a shot again. Or, no offense, I'd have to hope the ACC is blown up to the tune of about 6 teams leaving... Then there is a good shot there I guess sooner.

TheNatural

My Member!
I recognize there has been alignment in the past that have benefited teams. But by and large, the BE held it's own on the field afterwards. From a performance standpoint, they recovered mostly. And also, it didn't cause the destruction of the conference(although it started it in it's own way I guess).

This realignment now has been clear in actively trying to make sure a conference is destroyed and squeeze out as many people as possible. Whole different ballgame and level of destabilization this time around. I also know UCF was mentioned in the 2003 round. But like you reference the Kragthrope years in FB as a dark time, we had our own dark time - but at the AD level. Came at the worst possible time and allowed a team like USF to get in ahead of us.

As for our position now, it's a wash. We're still in CUSA. The upcoming BE contract is literally a few hundred thousand per team per year larger than our current CUSA deal and access is suspect. I mean, given the requirement is to just be the highest ranked team from a non-AQ conference, our only worry is the MWC I guess.

Hopefully in a decade or when the upcoming TV deals expire there is a shot again. Or, no offense, I'd have to hope the ACC is blown up to the tune of about 6 teams leaving... Then there is a good shot there I guess sooner.

USF was in the Metro joining in 1991 after South Carolina, Florida State, Memphis, and Cincinnati left. Then when Metro folded and most of the old Metro reformed in C-USA they were brought along. When they added football they were a lock for C-USA since they were already there in other sports, and Louisville and Cincy vouched for them in the Big East.

No, I don't think they're any better than UCF now or in the future, but I don't think even if you won 10 games in the MAC each year before realignment, that the Big East would have taken you over USF because of the ties USF had with C-USA programs dating back to 1991.

Much of this stuff is simply historical ties, which South Florida had over UCF, so I think it's a moot point with regards to the original expansion.

USF was in the Metro joining in 1991 after South Carolina, Florida State, Memphis, and Cincinnati left. Then when Metro folded and most of the old Metro reformed in C-USA they were brought along. When they added football they were a lock for C-USA since they were already there in other sports, and Louisville and Cincy vouched for them in the Big East.

No, I don't think they're any better than UCF now or in the future, but I don't think even if you won 10 games in the MAC each year before realignment, that the Big East would have taken you over USF because of the ties USF had with C-USA programs dating back to 1991.

Much of this stuff is simply historical ties, which South Florida had over UCF, so I think it's a moot point with regards to the original expansion.

That's the thing. UCF through AD direction-less management made a lot of bad choices or even non-choices at that critical juncture. USF didn't even field a team until like 1996 or 1997 and didn't move into division 1 until after the 2000s. I know UCF was involved, but their better management at the critical juncture put them in. No doubt USF being a non-football member in Metro and CUSA helped, however. You don't know how bad that period was for UCF. We handed that to USF on a silver platter and we're still paying for those mistakes now. Although largely with the arrival of GOL ironically in 2005, we're on a much better course. He has been critical in rebuilding the department...

Probably why our president is very hesitant to fire him.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hearing that Hal Mumme signed on as the OC for SMU.

With our new starters and shallow depth on OL, new QB, entirely new defensive scheme, young first time head coach, and the game being on the road, the SMU season opener for us next season has trap game written all over it.

TheNatural

My Member!
More for you 007:

The Big East Conference confirmed Saturday that ESPN has matched a media rights deal offer, keeping the network as the league's primary rights holder.

The deal is for seven years and worth $130 million through the 2019-20 school year, league sources said. The Big East's new deal is worth less per school than its current ESPN deal and six times less than what ESPN presented two years ago.

This summer, Pittsburgh and Syracuse will leave for the ACC. On July 1, 2014, Louisville (ACC), Notre Dame (ACC), Rutgers (Big Ten) and the Catholic 7 group are expected to depart, leaving the Big East as a 10-member conference consisting of: UConn, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane and UCF.

In 2015, Navy is scheduled to join the Big East as the league's 11th school, competing as a football-only member. Tulsa and UMass are the leading candidates to become the Big East's 12th member if the league decides to expand, sources told ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8977673/big-east-conference-espn-agree-tv-rights-deal

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8977054/lawsuit-filed-claims-johnny-football-infringement

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Johnny Manziel can't capitalize on his name, but he can protect it.

Manziel's corporation, JMAN2 Enterprises, filed a lawsuit in Texas last week against Eric Vaughan, a man who was selling T-shirts that read, "Keep Calm and Johnny Football." Manziel claims Vaughan infringed on his trademark rights.

Although Manziel didn't file papers to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for "Johnny Football" until Feb. 2, a trademark doesn't have to be federally registered for there to be an ownership claim.

The lawsuit asks the court to award damages for the unlawful sale of the "Johnny Football" T-shirts. Texas A&M's compliance office recently received a ruling from the NCAA that a student-athlete can keep financial earnings as a result of a legal action.

So, should this be an NCAA violation? You've got an "Amateur Athlete" with a corporation that is protecting his brand, which he's not supposed to have because he's an "Amateur Athlete."

Also, interesting loophole. I look forward to "copyright infringement" claims by every player out there! No way that could be claimed as a different twist on "Bag Men!"

Draxal

The longer the BIG 10 expansion draws out, the more I think FSU and GT will be the targets for the BIG 10 instead of UVA/UNC. Can't expand if the partners don't want to go, and FSU/GT seem to be much more willing then UVA/UNC.

Yeah, I'm aware of the TV deal. That's what I've been posting about!

As somebody who is partial to the Big East (for sentimental reasons mainly now as the teams I grew up watching are now gone), I think all things being equal resigning with ESPN was better than going to NBC. ESPN now has no reason to constantly throw the Big East under the bus as they have made a point of doing for the last few years. Though the Big East had rough times, they really went out of their way to pile on the Big East. Ultimately, given how watered down C-USA has become, UCF is in much better shape now. If the Big East got that much money, the C-USA product will definitely be valued for far less.

The Big East needs to stay away from UMass- they can't afford another football team that has no hope of being relevant. Tulsa is a much, much better option for all sports membership.

The longer the BIG 10 expansion draws out, the more I think FSU and GT will be the targets for the BIG 10 instead of UVA/UNC. Can't expand if the partners don't want to go, and FSU/GT seem to be much more willing then UVA/UNC.

FSU ain't happening.

Not without AAU membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom