• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

It's just speculation from anyone in the media. We've been through it before, and the way more conservative move has always been made. Like Texas and OU and a couple of other schools going to form the PAC 16 and the Big East merging with the rest, the SEC taking Florida State and another to go to 16, and so on.

The grandiose expansion predictions never seem to happen, unless you're involved in the Big East, it's all been pretty moderate.

It's not so much in the media, but people have been leaking it to the media for a while now, including an ex president of the NCAA.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31327770

Like Goldeneye says, this is a ways off though.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's not so much in the media, but people have been leaking it to the media for a while now, including an ex president of the NCAA.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31327770

Like Goldeneye says, this is a ways off though.

Georgia Tech, Virginia and North Carolina have been speculated as potential Big Ten targets ever since Maryland and Rutgers decided to join the league in November.

Shit, if I were the ACC I would take the buyout money for those two schools and let them go if they wanted to that. Georgia Tech is mediocre in football and horrible in basketball. Virigina is horrible in everything. Rack up a few ten mil and bring on UCONN and Cincy, it would be an upgrade.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Yup, Georgia fans were pissed and made up the majority of the emails. I'd assume the others were from Bama fans.

More than a few UGA fans were booing their 8-1 team (or whatever the record was) in the 1st quarter when they were losing to Ole Miss and Murray was getting sacked a lot. So I believe they were pissed about Tunsil.

The ACC horde on GAF received a major shot in the arm with the arrival of Louisville.

Let's be blunt ACC horde. Your conference was screwed from the beginning when you decided to form up as a Carolina-based conference. State isn't big enough to deserve representation with 4 members in a league. Your conference was also based around the leftovers from the initial group that left the Southern Conference to form the SEC. No power.

bluemax

Banned
Kevin Harlan is a play by play guy. I don't expect him to know shit about conference expansion outside of what his bosses force feed him.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Fitting that the top of the page features Bama in loli sports anime. They along with LSU just offered a middle schooler. LSU actually got to him summer of 2012 meaning the kid just got out of the 7th grade when he got the original offer.

Middle school prospects

So why didn't you post this 6 months ago when LSU offered? Why now?

Don't you have more "conference alignment for conferences that don't matter", to talk about?

andycapps

More than a few UGA fans were booing their 8-1 team (or whatever the record was) in the 1st quarter when they were losing to Ole Miss and Murray was getting sacked a lot. So I believe they were pissed about Tunsil.

Georgia fans are a miserable lot, I've gotten used to it, but I was reminded of that when I went to the Kentucky game last year. Lot of Georgia fans hate Murray, despite the fact that he'll own every school record by the end of this season. But it doesn't surprise me that they would be booing when UGA was losing to Ole Miss in the first quarter.

So talked with Urbz a bit this past weekend. Asked him about saying that other B1G coaches need to step-up their recruiting game that was reported on.

He told me it was something blown way out of proportion, shocking, and he never actually said that. He was asked how the B1G can get back to where it needs to be and compete with the SEC. What he told the reporter was need to play more night games, recruit you tail off, and just go out there and start winning some games.

Subitai

Shit, if I were the ACC I would take the buyout money for those two schools and let them go if they wanted to that. Georgia Tech is mediocre in football and horrible in basketball. Virigina is horrible in everything. Rack up a few ten mil and bring on UCONN and Cincy, it would be an upgrade.
This is just the sports side though and the folks at Frank The Tank have been looking at the other sides that seem to be taking precedence this go round.

They're pointing out Delany isn't pushing further expansion as much as the presidents are now as they want to shore up the CIC, AAU influence, and their influence in getting grants in an era with less government research money to go around. Looking out longer term, if UMD & Rutgers work out well, then the Presidents are probably like, "Why stop there?" Virginia and UNC are tremendous in research and have a lot of implicit influence w/ their DC legislators in for research grants. Georgia Tech may not be as valuable in that sense, but they are an AAU school where Georgia is not. If they take 6 more schools, with 5 being AAU, to get to 20 that are AAU and add JHU for LAX, the B1G will have ~1/3 of the AAU votes determining what new schools are admitted if any. I keep reading that the AAU is trying to restrict its membership.

Also, check out the 11th place on schools with wealthiest alumni:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-15-universities-wealthy-alumni/story?id=18539608#all
Virginia

Anyway, Delany didn't move until ND did. I don' think he will move again until he knows what UNC plans. Who is waiting, like others, to see the outcome of the Maryland lawsuit.

Draxal

The B1G now has 7 teams capable of winning the National Championship.
The SEC has 6 teams.

B1G teams that can win the MNC:

Rutgers
Ohio State
Michigan
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Penn State
Iowa

The SEC has

Alabama
Texas A&M
LSU
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina

The SEC is dragged down by the fact that Auburn, Arkansas, and Tennessee are basketcases whereas the B1G adding Rutgers is like adding USC of the EAST.

Not even B1G fans appreciate how difficult the B1G is going to be. I would liken it to Big East Basketball where anyone can be anyone else on any given day. Even in the SEC, teams have breather games against Kentucky and Vandy. Not so with the B1G, where even games against Indiana and Purdue are going to be tough.

God, I love RutgersAL, he always get people to respond to his bait (his post last year was even more trolltastic). Our superfan/troll is better then your superfan/troll.

TheNatural

My Member!
This is just the sports side though and the folks at Frank The Tank have been looking at the other sides that seem to be taking precedence this go round.

They're pointing out Delany isn't pushing further expansion as much as the presidents are now as they want to shore up the CIC, AAU influence, and their influence in getting grants in an era with less government research money to go around. Looking out longer term, if UMD & Rutgers work out well, then the Presidents are probably like, "Why stop there?" Virginia and UNC are tremendous in research and have a lot of implicit influence w/ their DC legislators in for research grants. Georgia Tech may not be as valuable in that sense, but they are an AAU school where Georgia is not. If they take 6 more schools, with 5 being AAU, to get to 20 that are AAU and add JHU for LAX, the B1G will have ~1/3 of the AAU votes determining what new schools are admitted if any. I keep reading that the AAU is trying to restrict its membership.

Also, check out the 11th place on schools with wealthiest alumni:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-15-universities-wealthy-alumni/story?id=18539608#all
Virginia

Anyway, Delany didn't move until ND did. I don' think he will move again until he knows what UNC plans. Who is waiting, like others, to see the outcome of the Maryland lawsuit.

Like I said, if they want to take more mediocre sports schools, if I were the ACC I would take the buyout tradeoff. Big Ten wants new markets to push their shitty network in, along with the things to mention, so I could see them taking Ga Tech and Virginia. North Carolina seems just wrong, since they're synonymous with ACC basketball and Tobacco Road rivalries.

Lonestar

fulmercup-022613_medium.png

Been awhile since they've put up the board, but there it is.

Kind of disappointed with only a 1 point lead. Gonna have to get some work in on the 4th quarter program.

Subitai

Like I said, if they want to take more mediocre sports schools, if I were the ACC I would take the buyout tradeoff. Big Ten wants new markets to push their shitty network in, along with the things to mention, so I could see them taking Ga Tech and Virginia. North Carolina seems just wrong, since they're synonymous with ACC basketball and Tobacco Road rivalries.
Yeah, I wish expansion would stop now too. When you get to 16, you have conferences within a conference that makes the group less cohesive and so the intra-animosity between schools loses a lot of meaning and importance.

I'm very sad RutgersAl took down his youtube recruiting video.

Rumor has it that it almost cost Rutgers Savon Huggins because he was so embarrassed by it.

I actually agree with this article about branding college athletes. If the school, NCAA, and almost everyone else can make money off a college athlete's likeness, why can't the college athlete himself get a cut? At the end he mentions putting it in a trust fund that wont be released until his college career is over which i think is a great way to rectify this issue. It seems unfair that a Heisman winner who is constantly under a public microscope, has to deal with a relentless media circus, and has his image exploited by corporations who are looking to make money off him through merchandising or photographs gets the same incentive or "payment" as the long snapper at Alabama which is a full ride scholarship.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8990966/selling-johnny-football

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I actually agree with this article about branding college athletes. If the school, NCAA, and almost everyone else can make money off a college athlete's likeness, why can't the college athlete himself get a cut? At the end he mentions putting it in a trust fund that wont be released until his college career is over which i think is a great way to rectify this issue. It seems unfair that a Heisman winner who is constantly under a public microscope, has to deal with a relentless media circus, and has his image exploited by corporations who are looking to make money off him through merchandising or photographs gets the same incentive or "payment" as the long snapper at Alabama which is a full ride scholarship.

Something should be done for sure. But what's going to stop a booster from giving every incoming freshman a spot in his $400,000 used car ad?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I did, at least, get an overpriced but delicious dinner at Michael Jordan's steakhouse.

After all of this, our plane actually left tonight... Just 4 hours later than scheduled.

bluemax

Banned

So if Reggie Bush and whatshisface had incorporated USC could've avoided sanctions?

So if Reggie Bush and whatshisface had incorporated USC could've avoided sanctions?

If a donor really wants to give a star college athlete money, what he/she needs to do is sell branded memorabilia of the athlete with full intentions of being sued by the athlete and the athlete will get the $$$ in damages. So whoever gave Reggie Bush all of his swag should have instead sold Reggie Bush merchandise, had reggie sue him, and reggie would have gotten the $$$ without violating any NCAA rules. It makes perfect sense!

lush

Crowd booed the hell out of Jimmy Cheek when he popped up on the video screen tonight at the Florida game. It gave me life.

andycapps

fulmercup-022613_medium.png

Been awhile since they've put up the board, but there it is.

Kind of disappointed with only a 1 point lead. Gonna have to get some work in on the 4th quarter program.

Feels like the football season is going when we finally got on the board. Took long enough.

Reports coming out former OC/Oline coach for OSU Jim Bollman is going to accept OC job at MSU.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA.

Enjoy it sparty, your oline is now complete shit.

Meier

Eddie Williams should have been a Seminole. Crazy to think that all 4 of those dudes got kicked off Alabama and it won't even be a blip on the radar. Williams was a 5* and the other 3 were 4* and Calloway was a 5* up until NSD just about.

Lonestar

Eddie Williams should have been a Seminole. Crazy to think that all 4 of those dudes got kicked off Alabama and it won't even be a blip on the radar. Williams was a 5* and the other 3 were 4* and Calloway was a 5* up until NSD just about.

Calloway might have ended as a 5 star on one of the services, but from what I could tell, he didn't match the overall performance of the rest of the team.

The one that performed the best from actual games, was Pettway. Was probably gonna be a solid DE/OLB for us. Williams was redshirting, so who knows what he was gonna do. But was a potential "3rd" elite Safety recruit in the last couple of years (along with Landon Collins and Ha Ha) Maybe between Ha Ha and Williams, one would move to CB and the other stay at Safety.

What could hurt, though, is the continue word that Marvin Shinn (WR) is still looking to transfer, and now Danny Woodson (WR) is indefinitely suspended for "team violations." Hate to see the WR depth get whittled down before spring practice even begins.

andycapps

UGA just announced that Zander Ogletree's career is over due to unspecified medical reasons. Not sure if he counts towards the 85 limit but we were under anyway. There were rumors that he'd violated a team rule which would have suspended him for the first game. No loss at all at his position of fullback.

cdyhybrid

UGA just announced that Zander Ogletree's career is over due to unspecified medical reasons. Not sure if he counts towards the 85 limit but we were under anyway. There were rumors that he'd violated a team rule which would have suspended him for the first game. No loss at all at his position of fullback.
IIRC guys who have to retire get medical schollies and don't count towards the 85.

Limedust

Calloway might have ended as a 5 star on one of the services, but from what I could tell, he didn't match the overall performance of the rest of the team.

The one that performed the best from actual games, was Pettway. Was probably gonna be a solid DE/OLB for us. Williams was redshirting, so who knows what he was gonna do. But was a potential "3rd" elite Safety recruit in the last couple of years (along with Landon Collins and Ha Ha) Maybe between Ha Ha and Williams, one would move to CB and the other stay at Safety.

What could hurt, though, is the continue word that Marvin Shinn (WR) is still looking to transfer, and now Danny Woodson (WR) is indefinitely suspended for "team violations." Hate to see the WR depth get whittled down before spring practice even begins.

Pettway and Williams would have been great football players for Alabama as they progressed, IMO.

Calloway was the best player at a short-handed position. He was a 5-star recruit... as a LB, where he apparently DID NOT want to play. Hoping for Fowler's healthy return, and for Howard to show up and be awesome from day one.

Tyler Hayes can go cry in the corner.

I'm actually okay with Shinn transferring if that is what he wants. No real opinion on Woodson, either. Cooper, Bell, and Norwood should handle the starting roles, anyways, and Chris Black should be healthy for spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom