• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limedust

And for the Bama-GAF reading pleasure... Roy Adam's drunken review of Nick Saban's appearance at the Memphis QB club:

Re: Memphis, UT, college football events:
There was NO announcement, request, not to post anything regarding the meeting, just no cell phones or other distractions, so here goes. Please, I've had some 1/2 dozen old fashions so take that into consideration. The meeting room was packed, fully 1/2 Bama guests, with most of them smiling, upbeat, laughing, inside and outward contemptuous of non Bama fans. I guess us non Bama fans are irrelevant in today's football world! While the social hour started at 5:30, some folks had arrived as early as 3PM to get a food table, seat. Nick's plane didn't arrive until shortly before 7, he arrived and spent a few minutes with the mass media gathered in the lobby, answering their questions. He spoke like the genuis which he is, using muti sylabile words, about his upbringing in West Va pumping gas, working all hours, for his father's gas station, his daily Catholic prayer service, that everyone in their little community knew each other, encouraged each other, and helped each other. His talk was unbelievably impressive, not only for his delivery, but for the content, emphasizing morals, right from wrong, work ethic, etc, pointing with pride how few athletes he had arrested in the past few years, but qualifying that some could be arrested tonight-that's the world we live in. He was so appreciative, thankful, for the good which Boby Bowden, joe Paterno, had brought to the game of college football-they were more interested in what was good for the individuals, the game, than what was good for themselves, their school, giving several examples. He was proud of his teaching, coaching, and work ethic, wondering out loud why more people hadn't copied him. He said that good coaching was over emphasized, that most all coaches know x & o, work long and hard, but that recruiting, getting the best players, was the most important element, and that's why he put so much emphasis on recruiting, that you could improve working with good athletes but there was a limit on what you can do with slower, smaller, athletes. In response to a question, he was most complimentary of Derek Dooley, quite an improvement over the previous staff, that he was bright, a hard worker, and would be a credit to the University of Tennessee, that Derek worked with him for some 7 years. Frankly, as a long time admirer of Nick Saban, his work ethic, the demands on his staff and himself, I knew he had to be smart, but this man, speaking without notes, answering questions, was just unbelievable-a real football, coaching genuis. Yet he was most modest in his delivery, cutting himself, as only people most confident, sure, of themselves, like Ronald Reagan, can and will do. I am quite confident that tonight's multi syllable, deeply philosophical, brainy speech is NOT the type he would deliever to his team; he knows his audience. I now can understand appreciate, why Paul Finebaum speaks so highly of him off the record, he is brilliant, not only in football but in life!! Alabama, with a great recruting base, and this great a coach, have a rare, great, combination, much to the chagrin, envy, disgust, of some of us long time loyal Tennessee guys!!
He did say in response to a question regarding pro style qbs vs scramblers,that football evolves, but the pros want prostyle qbs, that he's partial toward pro style qb's for recruiting reasons but also because scrambling qbs can get hurt, pointing out Oregon several years ago winning 8 straight and them their qb gets hurt and they lose the next 4-but, he was most compllimentary of those scramblers, esp. Auburn's qb., Cameron Newton. During his 45 minute talk and question and answer period, which he encouraged, he did NOT, did not, make ONE(1) gramattical error, use UGH, hesitate, or demostrate any verbal, mental weakness. I can now see, understand, why he does not suffers fools kindly and publicly rebukes stupid questions from the media!

Last edited Today 1:25 AM by Tennstud

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pettway and Williams would have been great football players for Alabama as they progressed, IMO.

Calloway was the best player at a short-handed position. He was a 5-star recruit... as a LB, where he apparently DID NOT want to play. Hoping for Fowler's healthy return, and for Howard to show up and be awesome from day one.

Tyler Hayes can go cry in the corner.

I'm actually okay with Shinn transferring if that is what he wants. No real opinion on Woodson, either. Cooper, Bell, and Norwood should handle the starting roles, anyways, and Chris Black should be healthy for spring.

Its that Cyrus Jones might be moving to DB, White is coming off a knee injury, and while I've heard no complications, who knows how Bell will be after breaking his leg. Also, Norwood has a toe injury and apparently will miss all of spring practice. All that means there's only a couple of WR's for Spring Practice. Which might mean more reps and better improvement by those WR's, or more chances for injuries.

Lonestar

bluemax

Banned
Stolen from Squiken on the NFL topic

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/2/28/4036850/adjusted-completion-percentages-collin-klein-matt-barkley

Charting outgoing (and next year's potential outgoing) QB's, by length of passes (so you can see who lives off the screen passes, the dump off passes, or who is a slinger). Also has charting for Completion % by distance. Just some good stats stuff for people who like stats stuff.

I don't like their sample sizes, they're far to small to derive meaningful conclusions from.

Fun fact, I got turned down for a job with Stats LLC last month.

Lonestar

I don't like their sample sizes, they're far to small to derive meaningful conclusions from.

Seems like AJ's are fine ;P

Get enough people to watch different games, and it could increase the data pool.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I knew when I saw that Doege had no stats for passes of 15+ yards there was something up. Turns out our sample size was just two games.

Rumors are the Catholic 7 are discussing breaking off now for 2013:

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5347#more-5347

DePaul and Marquette also on board with a 2013-14 split:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-depaul-marquette-big-east-20130227,0,2929687.story

I would say the BE leadership and presidents should do a hostile takeover of the CUSA name, but they'd probably find a way to give away all of the exit money and some of the TV deal away in the process to them.

Revive the Metro name or something. I don't care! Heard a great suggestion, fuck it and call it the Mid-Major Conference. I'd be ok with that!

BTW, A-10 probably about to get boned too.

TheNatural

My Member!
Catholic schools are keeping the Big East name. Football league will still get auto-bid this fall.

Per @McMurphyESPN

RIP Big East.

I wonder if we get out early now. The schedule next year for basketball with no Pitt, Cuse, Gtown, and Nova will be pretty shitty. Plus what the fuck are we going to do, change the logo on all our shit for a year? Fuck that.

i7OxRAG7GotxL.jpg

In case you haven't seen it yet, Monroeski.

jjasper

I kind of feel bad for the Memphis fans. For so long they thought that they made it to the prime time only to be kicked in the balls.

Lonestar

So, these non-football teams are stealing the BEAST name, and the football schools have to take it???

:lol

Draxal

Probably for the best. Best thing for UConn and Cinncy at this point is probably go with the Catholic schools or A10 for basketball and try to go independent in football.

Would be stupid for both of them to even try. Catholic schools basically know that Uconn and Cincy would bounce in a second to go to the ACC. It's pretty hard to schedule an independet schedule as well.

jjasper

Would be stupid for both of them to even try. Catholic schools basically know that Uconn and Cincy would bounce in a second to go to the ACC. It's pretty hard to schedule an independet schedule as well.

Are you saying it is stupid for UConn and Cincy to try or stupid for the catholic schools to try and let them in. The stupid thing for Cincy and UConn to do is not do anything and stay in this neo CUSA. It will kill any momentum their football programs have gained being in a BCS conference and will really hurt their basketball brands.

Draxal

Are you saying it is stupid for UConn and Cincy to try or stupid for the catholic schools to try and let them in. The stupid thing for Cincy and UConn to do is not do anything and stay in this neo CUSA. It will kill any momentum their football programs have gained being in a BCS conference and will really hurt their basketball brands.

The Catholics won't let them in, I mean Cinci's been sending all the ACC PLEASE INVITE ME CARDS begging to get in to all the ACC presidents, c7's not going to touch that with a 100 yard pole. And next year is fine, they still got Ville, will get Memphis it's 2014 that basketball will start to suck.

Man, I remember when you and Sirpopopopopopopop got into all these fights about Big East's viability. And now seeing your opinion completely 180 and match his utter discontempt with the Big East was kinda sad to watch.

What can I say. Things looked promising 2 years ago overall and UCF finally accomplished a major goal of getting in eventually and righted a major blunder on their part.

Then that rug got utterly snatched from under a bunch of schools....

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

PvpAYVc.jpg

Nice shirt, Mittens.

EDIT: Apparently the pic is from last year. Still, I'd never expect to see Mitt Romney in an Ole Miss shirt.

One of his major aides went to OM and gave it to him.

Pres. Obama got a sweet leather bag w/ the script logo at the first debate in 08 and was photographed with it.

TheNatural

My Member!
So, these non-football teams are stealing the BEAST name, and the football schools have to take it???

Stealing? You have 4 charter members of the conference in that group. They're more Big East than the football side ever was.

Both sides needed to get out of this arrangement because football expansion was shitting up the basketball side to no benefit. Georgetown and Villanova sure weren't excited about possibly traveling to Houston, Fort Worth, Orlando, or other places to play some shitty basketball teams that would lower their RPI and raise their travel cost.

The best case is for the good basketball teams to split sports to be honest. Find a good basketball league and find ANY football league, and do it like that. UCONN, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple could go to the A10 in basketball and play in the MAC in football for example. If I were schools like UCF and USF I would form a Florida and Texas only league with the other outliers and market yourself that way, since those two states are basically as good as it gets in recruiting. Bring on Houston, SMU, FAU, FIU, UTEP, and a couple others and make it something that can be marketed.

At this point, there's no real reason why The Conference Formerly Known As Big East (TCFKABE) should even exist. There's no real advantage to playing in a tougher conference in The Group of Five, because the team who goes undefeated will get the major bowl anyways.

Hell, when we had one loss last year, Louisiana Tech in the defunct horrible WAC conference was rated higher than us in the standings when they were undefeated. The best team from the Group of Five's best conference with one loss still wouldn't get the nod over an undefeated team in the Group of Five's worst conference - so why even try to make a stronger league? There's no benefit.

If I were schools like UCF and USF I would form a Florida and Texas only league with the other outliers and market yourself that way, since those two states are basically as good as it gets in recruiting. Bring on Houston, SMU, FAU, FIU, UTEP, and a couple others and make it something that can be marketed.

Eh. No thanks.

TheNatural

My Member!
Eh. No thanks.

Your goal at this point should be to become the Boise of Florida. There's really no benefits to your program playing in the current league, over say, the Sun Belt. Higher travel costs, dealing with programs who obviously don't want to be there, and a bigger chance to lose with nothing to gain from it.

If Petrino gets it going at Western and they roll and go undefeated, and the former Big East goes 12-1 with a conference title game win, it's going to be the Sun Belt team going to the Orange Bowl to play a big game and the other team being sent to the tire bowl.

Your goal at this point should be to become the Boise of Florida. There's really no benefits to your program playing in the current league, over say, the Sun Belt. Higher travel costs, dealing with programs who obviously don't want to be there, and a bigger chance to lose with nothing to gain from it.

If Petrino gets it going at Western and they roll and go undefeated, and the former Big East goes 12-1 with a conference title game win, it's going to be the Sun Belt team going to the Orange Bowl to play a big game and the other team being sent to the tire bowl.

I guess. It's whatever.

I'm so goddamned amused by how badly Cincinnati is getting fucked by this.

For a couple of years, they really thought they were on our level. This is just glorious.

At least it looks to be that the TV deal allows for games only Wed-Sat. No Sunday-Tuesday games. With Wednesday being rare - like a couple.

But knowing these group of presidents and the BE commissioner history, we'll end up as the lead-in for the MAC on Sunday-Tuesday.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I kind of feel bad for the Memphis fans. For so long they thought that they made it to the prime time only to be kicked in the balls.

I think it's funny. The whole city basically had an orgasm last year when everybody thought they could go to the Forum to see Georgetown and Syracuse instead of Tulane and SMU. Haw.

I think it's funny. The whole city basically had an orgasm last year when everybody thought they could go to the Forum to see Georgetown and Syracuse instead of Tulane and SMU. Haw.
I don't understand how it's funny. Why shouldn't they have been happy? The city of Memphis gets behind their BB program and they enjoy massive support. They certainly deserve to be in that company.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't understand how it's funny. Why shouldn't they have been happy? The city of Memphis gets behind their BB program and they enjoy massive support. They certainly deserve to be in that company.

The city of Memphis and the state of Mississippi aren't really on the best of terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom