• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've joined the Cinci fan train.

I just don't see what Tuberville did to Tech as being that bad. Congrats, your recruiting class went from crap to crap. MAJOR DAMAGE TUBERVILLE!

I think I've joined the Cinci fan train.

I just don't see what Tuberville did to Tech as being that bad. Congrats, your recruiting class went from crap to crap. MAJOR DAMAGE TUBERVILLE!

Let's see:

Despite being touted as a "defensive guru" Tuberville exhibited NO DEFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY of his own while at Tech, resulting in his hiring of THREE DIFFERENT DCs with three entirely different schemes in three years.

The results of two of those years were shockingly abysmal defenses for Tech, including one year where 66 points were scored on Tech, an all-time worst perfomance in points allowed in the entire history of the football program, a historically bad performance which would then be DUPLICATED just two weeks later.

His first failed hire at DC would leave after being caught recruiting for Florida while still being paid by Tech, a record of bounced checks, and a domestic abuse allegation.

His second hire would post the terrible numbers mentioned above before returning to TCU where he came from.

Also during his tenure, the Tech defense would give up more points in a single season than it had ever done in the history of the program.

Tech's defense would also end a season ranked DEAD LAST on rushing defense.

Some "defensive mastermind."

Texas Tech had a streak of consecutive winning seasons going back to 1992. Tuberville would end that winning streak.

Texas Tech had the longest consecutive streak of bowl eligible teams in the Big 12 at 18 consecutive years. Tuberville would also end that streak.

Texas Tech had never lost a game to Baylor in the history of the Big 12. Tubberville would also end that streak. (That was one of the games 66 pts were scored on Tech).

Tuberville's in-conference record was abysmal for a Tech team that averaged a solid third in the B12 the during Leach's tenure. At one point, it was nearly two years since Texas Tech fans had seen their team beat any conference foe at home.

Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock, once touted as one of the toughest places to play in the country, was seeing games that ended in less than 10,000 fans left in the seats after huge blowouts.

Tubs would regulatly recruit a bunch of athletes that would never be able to qualify academically, just to pad his NSD ranking.

Tubs would also disgrace the University by losing his temper and violently slapping the headset off a graduate assistant on national TV.

Off the field, Tubs and his family sucked too:

He lied to the national media about how much money he raised from donors his first year.

His wife ran a red light and hit a car with two elderly people in it, leaving one passenger with multiple broken bones and a head injury. That man would never leave the hospital alive.

He used his position as Head Coach to get a few wealthy Tech donors to invest in a fraud set up by his business partner John David Stroud, that led to seven people losing at least $1.7 million.

And then of course there's the "dine and dash" recruiting dinner...

cdyhybrid

Let's see:

Despite being touted as a "defensive guru" Tuberville exhibited NO DEFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY of his own while at Tech, resulting in his hiring of THREE DIFFERENT DCs with three entirely different schemes in three years.

The results of two of those years were shockingly abysmal defenses for Tech, including one year where 66 points were scored on Tech, an all-time worst perfomance in points allowed in the entire history of the football program, a historically bad performance which would then be DUPLICATED just two weeks later.

His first failed hire at DC would leave after being caught recruiting for Florida while still being paid by Tech, a record of bounced checks, and a domestic abuse allegation.

His second hire would post the terrible numbers mentioned above before returning to TCU where he came from.

Also during his tenure, the Tech defense would give up more points in a single season than it had ever done in the history of the program.

Texas Tech had a streak of consecutive winning seasons going back to 1992. Tuberville would end that winning streak.

Texas Tech had the longest consecutive streak of bowl eligible teams in the Big 12 at 18 consecutive years. Tuberville would also end that streak.

Texas Tech had never lost a game to Baylor in the history of the Big 12. Tubberville would also end that streak. (That was one of the games 66 pts were scored on Tech).

Tuberville's in-conference record was abysmal for a Tech team that averaged a solid third in the B12 the during Leach's tenure. At one point, it was nearly two years since Texas Tech fans had seen their team beat any conference foe at home.

Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock, once touted as one of the toughest places to play in the country, was seeing games that ended in less than 10,000 fans left in the seats after huge blowouts.

Tubs would regulatly recruit a bunch of athletes that would never be able to qualify academically, just to pad his NSD ranking.

Tubs would also disgrace the University by losing his temper and violently slapping the headset off a graduate assistant on national TV.

He lied to the national media about how much money he raised from donors his first year.

His wife ran a red light and hit a car with two elderly people in it, leaving one passenger with multiple broken bones and a head injury. That man would never leave the hospital alive.

He used his position as Head Coach to get a few wealthy Tech donors to invest in a fraud set up by his business partner John David Stroud, that led to seven people losing at least $1.7 million.

Times are tough in the CFB thread. This never would have happened if we had stayed in OT.

As true as all that may be, Tech only has themselves to blame. They could have kept Leach...the man who was taking your program to new heights, record breaking consecutive winning seasons etc. But instead your AD succumbed to the pressure of Craig James and/or decided to take the lower cost option to avoid Leaches inevitable raise. Besides, just one look at Tubberville how can you not see a sleezeball character? Then you listen to him speak and that perception is heavily reinforced. He must have masterful interview skills, because I can't rationalize any other reason Tech would have hired him.

As true as all that may be, Tech only has themselves to blame. They could have kept Leach...the man who was taking your program to new heights, record breaking consecutive winning seasons etc. But instead your AD succumbed to the pressure of Craig James and/or decided to take the lower cost option to avoid Leaches inevitable raise. Besides, just one look at Tubberville how can you not see a sleezeball character? Then you listen to him speak and that perception is heavily reinforced. He must have masterful interview skills.

But Leach was partially to blame too. For all his genius, he also had shortcomings, both on the field and off. He made a lot of enemies. And after he single-handedly lost the Houston game via one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen in my lifetime, he lost the team as well. Even if the Adam James railroading had not occurred, honestly, he wasn't long for Texas Tech. And I say that as a big fan of the Pirate.

Tech's AD was 168 years old, and the program was being run from the administration office. Yeah. They sucked. And they handled the Adam James situation horribly, and it has set Texas Tech football back years.

But now we've got a young, smart, dynamic AD, who seems to not suffer fools and is making the right moves.

By all reports, after the Tubs disaster and the awesome hiring of Kliff that immediately brought the fractured fan base together again, the admins have stayed out of the AD, and have been content to stay on the academic side--specifically, fundraising, which has gone spectacularly well. (Tech just finished a $1Billion fundraising drive, a whole year ahead of schedule.)

So things are looking up.

Thank goodness Tubs is gone though. What a scumbag.

Actually, a scumbag I could handle. A bad coach who is just a conman is another. I mean what "defensive guru" hires a DC, tries a 3-4 one year, fires the DC, hires another guy, tries a 4-2-5 the next year, fires that DC, hires another and goes back to the 4-3 they had before his sorry ass got there? He had no thoughts of his own, he was just throwing things in the air hoping one of them would fly.

I knew the first time we got beat by Iowa State this thing was in trouble. Iowa State! We never lost to Iowa State before Tubs. And Baylor! And we had gotten so used to beating A&M too. Tubs got OWNED by those guys. Terrible, terrible coach.

But congrats to you guys, Cincy. We love you so much for taking him and his $2.1M contract off our hands so we could hire Kliff.

So apparently the Ohio State Alumni Association completely changed their membership structure, and in order to qualify for the 2013 football ticket lottery, you had to make at least $75 in donations to the university by December 31, 2012. And for whatever reason, I didn't get the memo on this.

So now I'm not eligible for our ticket lottery this year. What a load of horseshit. But eh, I would have gotten a shitty game anyway. StubHub it is.

Also, OSU's linebackers doing their best FSU impressions.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/buckshot/2013/03/20147/the-linebackers-had-good-winter-workouts

LBs.jpg

Let's see:

Incompetency isn't a reason to hate the next team the guy coaches. Fred Hill Jr. was an incompetent basketball coach at Rutgers. He works at Northwestern now. His antics were worse than Tuberville's antics (refused to step down from position when asked. Actively fought it for a month, delaying us from hiring a new coach.) I don't hate NW for hiring him as a coach.

The "dine and dash" incident wasn't that bad. If he's no longer the coach, then he shouldn't be advocating for Texas Tech. Greg Schiano ditched a recruiting meeting with players at Don Bosco (1 4-star, 1 5-star.) because he took the job with Tampa Bay. Sure, it was upsetting, but I was mainly happy that he was gone. Therefore, it could be forgiven. I also didn't harbor a hate grudge against Tampa Bay. I mainly felt sorry for their fans.

The other situations were bad, and so you should be happy that Cinci took him off your hands. Instead, you guys are still so bitter about the situation to the point where you are taking glee in the fact that their program is in a shit-tastic situation that your program was almost in two years ago.

You aren't an Ohio State fan. I get why they are having schadenfreude here. A potential in-state challenger just went down in flames.

Texas Tech fans having a blood vendetta against a school that's about halfway across the country in a different conference is just plain vindictive. Again, shouldn't you be happy that Tuberville is gone allowing you to hire the new hotness Kingsbury. And, if you are happy about this turn of events then why do you take a great amount of glee in the fact that men's basketball at Cinci is going down in flames.

Cincy is a pretty great school and a good team as well. Probably the top school in their state if you want to pick someone out there.

I laughed. Thanks.

To be fair, does anyone have competent defenses in the Big XII? It's basically an offensive free for all out there.

Last time I said something similar (was ragging the Horns for giving up 85 to Oklahoma for like the fifth time in ten years), someone shoved a bunch of Longhorn defensive stats in my face.

So, Texas I guess.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Texas gave up 95 more points than KState, the only Big12 team in the Top 30* for that category.

at #28

I was about to say, I don't think anyone will be defending the Big 12 defenses this time around.

To be fair, does anyone have competent defenses in the Big XII? It's basically an offensive free for all out there.

I'd have figured solid evidence--like say a middling Big-12 program like say a Texas A&M, bringing a Big-12 style offense into supposedly the greatest defensive conference of the nation, like say the SEC, and lighting up the scoreboards for 383 pts. and an SEC average of 42.5 pts/gm.--would be enough to convince people not to say stupid things about Big-12 football.

Guess not.

Incompetency isn't a reason to hate the next team the guy coaches.

Did I ever said I hated the Cincinnati Bearcats?

Nope.

I was responding to the statement that "I just don't see what Tuberville did to Tech as being that bad." This should have been perfectly clear, as I bolded that section when I quoted the post, as is common practice. It also should have been clear by the content of my response, which only outlined what a bad coach and human being Tuberville is, and really said nothing bad about the Bearcats.

Frankly, I don't give two shits about Cincy other then wishing failure for their coach. If Tuberville could fail without Cincy failing, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

The "dine and dash" incident wasn't that bad. If he's no longer the coach, then he shouldn't be advocating for Texas Tech.

It really helps when you know what you are talking about, before you tell us if you think it was bad or not.

According to Tuberville's own claim, he was still the coach at Texas Tech and hadn't even been contacted by Cincy yet at the time of the recruiting dinner.

See, if he had been in contact with them that night, that would be contract tampering...so he can't claim that.

Of course, he is obviously lying with that claim of no contact -- just like he lied straight in the face of Tech AD Kirby Hocutt one day before he left that he was "absolutely committed to Texas Tech; similar to how, in 1998, he told Ole Miss that "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box" less than a week before he left to coach Auburn -- but that consistant record of lying makes him more of a despicable human being, not less.

The other situations were bad, and so you should be happy that Cinci took him off your hands. Instead, you guys are still so bitter about the situation to the point where you are taking glee in the fact that their program is in a shit-tastic situation that your program was almost in two years ago.

Happy Cincy took him off our hands? Thrilled is more like it. In fact, I even clearly said as much:

Pristine_Condition said:
But congrats to you guys, Cincy. We love you so much for taking him and his $2.1M contract off our hands so we could hire Kliff.

Again, I don't give two shits about Cincy. I only wish failure on them because it's a failure for Tubs. I actually pity whatever football fans they have, for being in such a craptacular conference situation.

Texas Tech fans having a blood vendetta against a school that's about halfway across the country in a different conference is just plain vindictive. Again, shouldn't you be happy that Tuberville is gone allowing you to hire the new hotness Kingsbury. And, if you are happy about this turn of events then why do you take a great amount of glee in the fact that men's basketball at Cinci is going down in flames.

Again, what the hell did I say in that post, or any post I have ever made that give you any notion at all that I care one whit about Cincy other than seeing our fraud of an ex-coach fail, much less have "a blood vendetta" against the school?

The claim of "a blood vendetta" is so absolutely ridiculous...wow...I honestly don't know what to say. Why would fans of a school in Texas--hell, ANY school with a football program in Texas, care what happens with the Bearcats, unless there was a bowl game coming up against them?

Did I ever said I hated the Cincinnati Bearcats?

Nope.

I was responding to the statement that "I just don't see what Tuberville did to Tech as being that bad." This should have been perfectly clear, as I bolded that section when I quoted the post, as is common practice. It also should have been clear by the content of my response, which only outlined what a bad coach and human being Tuberville is, and really said nothing bad about the Bearcats.

Frankly, I don't give two shits about Cincy other then wishing failure for their coach. If Tuberville could fail without Cincy failing, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

This was the post which I was responding to, originally:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48665874&postcount=3368

That was the base I was using in my response to your list of coaching failures by Tuberville. Being that I don't think a coach sucking is a good enough reason to hate the next University he is going to coach at.

It really helps when you know what you are talking about, before you tell us if you think it was bad or not.

According to Tuberville's own claim, he was still the coach at Texas Tech and hadn't even been contacted by Cincy yet at the time of the recruiting dinner.

See, if he had been in contact with them that night, that would be contract tampering...so he can't claim that.

Of course, he is obviously lying with that claim of no contact -- just like he lied straight in the face of Tech AD Kirby Hocutt one day before he left that he was "absolutely committed to Texas Tech; similar to how, in 1998, he told Ole Miss that "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box" less than a week before he left to coach Auburn -- but that consistant record of lying makes him more of a despicable human being, not less.

I'm more surprised by non-asshole coaches than I am by asshole coaches.

Happy Cincy took him off our hands? Thrilled is more like it. In fact, I even clearly said as much:

Again, I don't give two shits about Cincy. I only wish failure on them because it's a failure for Tubs. I actually pity whatever football fans they have, for being in such a craptacular conference situation.

If you're thrilled that Cincy took Tubs off your hands, then why do you still want to see Cincy fail. I mean, why even care about Tubs at all. From your post, shouldn't you be thanking Tubs for doing a favor for you guys. He left at an opportune time to allow you to snatch up KK before someone else could.

Again, what the hell did I say in that post, or any post I have ever made that give you any notion at all that I care one whit about Cincy other than seeing our fraud of an ex-coach fail, much less have "a blood vendetta" against the school?

The claim of "a blood vendetta" is so absolutely ridiculous...wow...I honestly don't know what to say. Why would fans of a school in Texas--hell, ANY school with a football program in Texas, care what happens with the Bearcats, unless there was a bowl game coming up against them?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well this thread has certainly escalated since I made a tongue-in-cheek comment about Cincinnati yesterday.

You should look more closely at usernames when calling somebody out for something.

::edit::
Actually I think the first time I read it I thought you were calling out his first quoted paragraph for my post but when I re-read it you were probably using my post as an example for his second quoted paragraph.
::/edit::

I agree with Pristine that Tuberville actually did us a favor by leaving, but regardless, lying to our AD's face, our player's faces, and doing all the sketchy recruiting bits he and his staff were doing around the switch and the next month or so are why I hope he loses. It doesn't escalate to a "blood vendetta" in any way, and as I mentioned my earlier post was tongue in cheek and half joking, but I admit to enjoying bad news about that scheister. I don't really seek out news about him but when I see people posting on other message boards about him being banned from recruiting at high schools for being a scheister I crack a smile.

We were in an unenviable position of not really wanting him anymore but also not having him done badly enough to get fired. He didn't want to stay in Lubbock, and most fans didn't want him to stay in Lubbock, but we figured we'd have to sit through at least one more uninspiring 7 or 8 win season before he was gone and in the interim we would miss out on a good coaching market for guys that would have LOVED to come to Tech (Sonny Dykes, for example).

Keeping up with Tuberville and how he's doing isn't much different than what I do with a lot of our ex-coaches, though, it's just that saying things on here about Cincy/Tuberville makes for better posts than me saying something about East Carolina or an assistant coach at Indiana or something like that, and the Cincy presence here is small enough that I'm not usually beaten to posting something like I would be with Dana Holgorsen or (now that he's at Cal) the aforementioned Sonny Dykes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Saw the rumors earlier, but they feel so unlikely, why bother reporting them.

He doesn't seem the type, and I'd hate if it were true. But the inner anarchist wouldn't be upset if it were true ;P

AntoneM

I can't keep this hidden forever, so, here goes.

ASU changed the look of Sparky, its mascot (we're keeping the original Sparky logo, this is just a mascot change) Looks like Guy Fawkes fucked Picachu....

screen_shot_2013-03-01_at_4.46.23_pm.0_standard_709.0.png

More here

TheNatural

My Member!
So UCONN, Cincy, and USF are getting paid a shitload:

But after paying the Catholic 7, along with a small sum for the recently added and future Big East schools -- SMU, Houston, Memphis, Central Florida, Temple, Tulane, and East Carolina -- the league will reportedly sign hefty checks for Connecticut, Cincinnati, and South Florida.

After payments and operating costs, Blaudschun estimated that each school could make between $18 million and $25 million once the settlement is reached.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...sf-cincinnati-could-get-pay-day-from-big-east

I feel much less sorry for them, since basically everyone is comping new facilities they don't want to pay for themseves. Honestly I would be pissed if I were UCF and others as well - charging you for entry fees while they're hoarding a shitload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom