• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

And Percy Harvin and Aaron Hernandez and Cornelius Ingram and Riley Cooper and Louis Murphy and Jeff Demps.

I really think the '08 Gators team was the best of the six consecutive champions. Last year's Bama might have had a better defense, but that Florida team was stacked at every skill position.

... the single wing.

0IDEFfO.jpg

Seriously, I run some wing stuff in NCAA. I swear scheme is overrated. It's all personnel and execution.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
And Percy Harvin and Aaron Hernandez and Cornelius Ingram and Riley Cooper and Louis Murphy and Jeff Demps.

I really think the '08 Gators team was the best of the six consecutive champions. Last year's Bama might have had a better defense, but that Florida team was stacked at every skill position.

Our 2011 defense was head and shoulders better than last year's. However, last year's offense, with the emergence of Amari Cooper, was pretty damn phenomenal. If we had our 2011 defense and our 2012 offense, that would be one of the best college football teams I've ever seen, but I do have to tip my hat to the 2008 gators as being, perhaps, the better all around team.

Saw someone write this on twitter, and it blew my mind:

As someone who grew up a Gator fan such as myself it does blow my mind he's been here for this long. While I think we all wished the sort of success we are enjoying now would have come sooner in his tenure, it's been great having him here. Honestly, as a student during the Lou Holtz era I wasn't a big fan of our team (still was a closet Gator fan and I absolutely hated the Holtz offense of QB dive every play during the Jenkins days) but of course that changed big time when Spurrier came.

I remember us playing down there that year in the Swamp...blew us to pieces. Irony I guess.

Talon

Our 2011 defense was head and shoulders better than last year's. However, last year's offense, with the emergence of Amari Cooper, was pretty damn phenomenal. If we had our 2011 defense and our 2012 offense, that would be one of the best college football teams I've ever seen, but I do have to tip my hat to the 2008 gators as being, perhaps, the better all around team.
I meant 2011 by "last year."

Draxal

Draxal - everyone's just biding time until the courts "encourage" both sides to negotiate it down to something lower.

Thus, UConn and Cincy are still fucked. Syracuse, BC, and Wake will become fucked.

Everyone else in the ACC has a fighting chance to find a lifeboat out of there. Even Duke.

Honestly, the universities the Big desperately wants from the ACC; UNC/UVA aren't going to budge unless something else happens.

The universities that would be most willing to joining the BIG have an AAU issue (FSU), and an isolation issue unless UNC/UVA join (FSU/GTECH).

It's going to be a weird game of chess that's going to take place in the next couple of years, if Delany can't go ND i could see him going for UNC/UVA/GTECH/FSU.

Ugh, UCF was so stupid in making the home opener on Thursday instead of Saturday. Fucking. Idiots.

Now we will have 3 total weekday games at home. One is Rutgers, which at least is a prime spot on Thursday and USF will be on Black Friday - which I guess is also popular. But still 3 weekday games!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like our season opener against SMU has been moved to Friday, August 30th at 7pm on ESPN.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for us. The new staff gets a coming out party on what could be the only game televised that night, and while it's a road game the fact that it's in the heart of Dallas at SMU the crowd is likely to be mostly (even overwhelmingly) Red Raider fans anyway.

Full UCF Schedule... Finally:

Thu., Aug. 29: Akron
Sat., Sept. 7: at Florida International
Sat., Sept. 14: at Penn State
Sat., Sept. 28: South Carolina
Sat., Oct. 5: at Memphis *
Fri., Oct. 18: at Louisville * (ESPN/ESPN2)
Sat., Oct. 26: Connecticut *
Sat., Nov. 9: Houston *

Sat., Nov. 16: at Temple *
Thu., Nov. 21: Rutgers * (ESPN)
Fri., Nov. 29: USF * (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2)

Sat., Dec. 7: at SMU *

cdyhybrid

So apparently UW ran 130 plays in just under 2 hours at the first spring practice last night, and was basically in no-huddle the entire time. Sark said they're going to run it a lot more this season, guess he wasn't kidding.

TheNatural

My Member!
Oh jeez.

Aug. 31 Ohio
Sept. 7 Eastern Kentucky

Sept. 14 at Kentucky
Sept. 21 FIU
Oct. 5 at Temple*
Oct. 10 Rutgers*
Oct. 18 Central Florida*

Oct. 26 at USF*
Nov. 8 at Connecticut*
Nov. 16 Houston*
Nov. 23 Memphis

Dec. 5 at Cincinnati*

At least we'll know in like mid October if we'll run the table. Rutgers and UCF are the only teams I see with a shot to beat us. Possibly USF.

TheNatural

My Member!
Wow, 8 home games. You guys really are trying to get into the SEC. Edit: n/m, you edited! I swear I can count.

Yeah I changed it, I was about to say the same thing but U of L's site has the UCONN game wrong. I didn't even think 8 home games was allowed.

I'm shocked by the generous ESPN treatment in terms of exposure. I guess the least they could do after bending us over money-wise. But in addition to those 3 games listed, there should be 2-3 more with ESPN treatment on relevant networks with the majority then being deferred to ESPN3.

South Carolina probably on ESPNU as I think we'll push for that being a night game. Otherwise we're looking at a noon ESPN2 or something. Penn St is also national. Just don't know the network. Big 10 contract prevails there.

Draxal

Oh jeez.

Aug. 31 Ohio
Sept. 7 Eastern Kentucky

Sept. 14 at Kentucky
Sept. 21 FIU
Oct. 5 at Temple*
Oct. 10 Rutgers*
Oct. 18 Central Florida*

Oct. 26 at USF*
Nov. 8 at Connecticut*
Nov. 16 Houston*
Nov. 23 Memphis

Dec. 5 at Cincinnati*

At least we'll know in like mid October if we'll run the table. Rutgers and UCF are the only teams I see with a shot to beat us. Possibly USF.

I'll be honest, Rutgers and UL got lucky, I thought the Big East was going to screw both universities and set up a platter for UC.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oh jeez.

Aug. 31 Ohio
Sept. 7 Eastern Kentucky

Sept. 14 at Kentucky
Sept. 21 FIU
Oct. 5 at Temple*
Oct. 10 Rutgers*
Oct. 18 Central Florida*

Oct. 26 at USF*
Nov. 8 at Connecticut*
Nov. 16 Houston*
Nov. 23 Memphis

Dec. 5 at Cincinnati*

Run clean through that schedule and I don't see how anybody could justify keeping Louisville out of the MNC talk.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'll be honest, Rutgers and UL got lucky, I thought the Big East was going to screw both universities and set up a platter for UC.

Not sure how they could do that really. I don't consider Cincy a big time threat, they gave us a tough game last year, but a new coach and some turnover I don't consider them ultra dangerous. I don't think Tuberville is an upgrade over Jones, especially offensively.

Looks like our season opener against SMU has been moved to Friday, August 30th at 7pm on ESPN.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for us. The new staff gets a coming out party on what could be the only game televised that night, and while it's a road game the fact that it's in the heart of Dallas at SMU the crowd is likely to be mostly (even overwhelmingly) Red Raider fans anyway.

That never happens when Tech plays in Dallas...

image.jpg

(For those of you who have never seen this before, this was an SMU "White Out" game vs Tech.)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Vince Young will participate in UT's pro day this year.

That is just great.

That never happens when Tech plays in Dallas...

http://s3.postimage.org/mhi3n0bab/image.jpg[img]

(For those of you who have never seen this before, this was an SMU "White Out" game vs Tech.)[/QUOTE]

When Willie Ivery (2014 recruit) went to the Tech/TCU game in Fort Worth this past season he made specific mention that there were almost as many Tech fans at the game as TCU fans, and 2013 commit Gary Moore has actually said that being at that game (I believe on an official visit) is one of the biggest things that sold him on wanting to go to Tech in large part because of all the fans that were there.

Oh jeez.

Aug. 31 Ohio
Sept. 7 Eastern Kentucky

Sept. 14 at Kentucky
Sept. 21 FIU
Oct. 5 at Temple*
Oct. 10 Rutgers*
Oct. 18 Central Florida*

Oct. 26 at USF*
Nov. 8 at Connecticut*
Nov. 16 Houston*
Nov. 23 Memphis

Dec. 5 at Cincinnati*

We'll see- Cincinnati will be a tough game for Louisville.

Right now, I'm most interested in what the new name of this conference will be.

You know what the worst thing about Tedford being gone is?

I can't automatically chalk up the Cal game as a win for USC anymore. A real shame.

Cyan, should I be excited about Pendergast?

cdyhybrid

Whoa, let's not get too crazy. We're still Cal.

Excited? Probably not. His defenses were pretty good on average, but high variance. He was generally more aggressive as far as getting after the quarterback, which can be more fun than bend-don't-break, but can also get you burned pretty easily.

At times he seemed to have the weird gimmick offenses figured out (Oregon's wackiness, the pistol), and then we'd play them again with the same gameplan and get utterly smoked.

Also, wasn't too hot on halftime adjustments, though that might've been failure trickle-down from the head coach.

So, excited? Nah. Not an amazing hire, but also not terrible. By the middle of the season, you might think he's fine, or you might be cursing his name. Hard to say.

A ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one :p

Also apparently Sark is the highest-paid head coach in the conference now. He needs to win 9 games minimum this year.

Linebacker Edward Williams signed with Tulane on Saturday after a long process that saw his mother decline to sign her son's letter of intent to Texas Tech.

Williams, from New Orleans' Warren Easton, wanted to sign with Texas Tech on National Signing Day on Feb. 6, but his mother wanted him closer to home.

"Right now things have been shaky, because my mother does not want me to go to Texas Tech," Williams told PelicanPreps.com last month. "She has her reasons, but I still prefer to be in Lubbock. She really wants me to go to Tulane, but I do not like it there. So it has to be where I am happy."

The 6-foot-2, 230-pound Williams also received late offers from Oklahoma and Miami, but he eventually decided to stay home.

"I felt like the ball was in my hands," Williams told The Times-Picayune. "I felt like I could sign when I wanted to sign."

Williams felt he could trust second-year Tulane coach Curtis Johnson, while Texas Tech broke its promises, he told the newspaper.

"He kept it real right from the beginning," Williams said. "He told me the pros and cons about everything. He told me the good and the bad. And [Tulane] had more pros."

Johnson told the newspaper that the Williams "family is magnificent. They made a family decision. They rolled with the family."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...liams-mom-had-rejected-texas-tech-red-raiders

I love the flow of this article. The two halves of this article are polarizing. Just draw an imaginary horizontal line midway through.

First half:
Williams- I like Texas Tech, I want to be in Lubbock, Mom just wants me to stay home near New Orleans but I do not like Tulane.

Second half:
Williams- Fuck Texas Tech, They broke their promises, Tulane kept it real from the beginning, more pros than cons at Tulane, I'm rollin with the family because nothing is more important.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...liams-mom-had-rejected-texas-tech-red-raiders

I love the flow of this article. The two halves of this article are polarizing. Just draw an imaginary horizontal line midway through.

First half:
Williams- I like Texas Tech, I want to be in Lubbock, Mom just wants me to stay home near New Orleans but I do not like Tulane.

Second half:
Williams- Fuck Texas Tech, They broke their promises, Tulane kept it real from the beginning, more pros than cons at Tulane, I'm rollin with the family because nothing is more important.

The strange thing is that there still haven't been any direct quotes from Williams saying either 1. Tech broke any promises, or 2. what the alleged broken promises were. There are always direct quotes when saying good things about Tulane but no direct quotes when saying anything bad about Tech.

Regardless, it's been a bit of a train wreck situation. Every sign pointed to him wanting to go to Tech and not liking Tulane until suddenly we woke up on Saturday and he had basically already signed with Tulane. On NSD he actually started crying at his signing ceremony because he wanted to go to Tech but his parents wouldn't sign the letter, and even though he knew it wasn't valid he signed the paper without his parents and sent it to Tech anyway as a bit of a symbolic gesture.

He would've been the highest ranked LB we signed in over a decade but we all know what happened last time we had a helicopter parent hovering over a player. I'm a bit torn on this one.

Draxal

He would've been the highest ranked LB we signed in over a decade but we all know what happened last time we had a helicopter parent hovering over a player. I'm a bit torn on this one.

Did that helicopter parents have anything to do with hookers?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I don't think Nebraska understands netball. They stormed the court last night winning against unranked Minnesota.

Looks like these people are going for A12 Conference or America 12. Some suspect registrations, etc....

Fucking call it Metro! A12 isn't bad at all. But America 12? Sounds weird and too close to CUSA. DONT SAY IT! I know!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like these people are going for A12 Conference or America 12. Some suspect registrations, etc....

Fucking call it Metro! A12 isn't bad at all. But America 12? Sounds weird and too close to CUSA. DONT SAY IT! I know!

Probably trying to avoid something like Metro to keep it from sounding funny when they add non-metro schools, like when the BEast adds schools from the west coast.

Of course I don't even know who the hell is in the conference anymore these days so for all I know they may already have non-metro schools, but I think the principle stands; go with something generic so you don't have to worry about it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Double post because I just found out that Tech moved our Big 12 home opener against TCU to Thursday, September 12. So much for having a good crowd for what's quickly becoming a pretty heated rivalry.

It's a good thing Kliff's presence is selling some season tickets as well since our schedule certainly isn't and moving this game to Thursday (when many out-of-towners won't be able to make it) will likely put a dent in season ticket sales as well. Home games this season -

Stephen F. Austin
TCU
Texas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Kansas State

TCU and to some degree OSU are the only ones that are real ticket sellers this season so "losing" one of those is a big hit. Our administrative staff is working on getting UT and OU on alternating years again going into the future to prevent home schedules like this.

The admin appear to be pretty fired up for being on the national stage for this, though. Maybe I'm underestimating the crowd. I'm still going to try to be there.

::edit::
Ugh, just realized we'd be losing a great weekend to bring in recruits as well. Sucks.

TheNatural

My Member!

Yup looks like it's all but confirmed:

The "America 12 Conference" is the favorite to become the new name of the current Big East Conference's football schools, league sources told ESPN.

The name has not officially been approved by the league's presidents. The conference also is considering several other names, sources said.

However, Covington & Burling, the conference's law firm, purchased and registered the domain name "America12.org" on Tuesday.

The Big East's law firm also registered other variations of America 12 on Tuesday, including America12Conference.com, America12Sports.com, American12.org, American12conference.com, AmericaTwelve.com and TheAmerica12Conference.com.

With the Catholic 7 schools leaving the league on June 30 to start a new conference and keeping the Big East name, the current football schools must have a new conference name by July 1.

The Big East football universities are not expected to add a 12th school until 2015, when Navy joins. It will have 10 members in 2013, and East Carolina and Tulane will replace departing Louisville and Rutgers the following year.

Sources said Tulsa is the only school the league is considering to become its 12th member. It hasn't been determined yet whether the Golden Hurricane would be invited to join in 2014 or 2015, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-conference-name-football-schools-sources-say

eDliaW5pMTI=_o_dungeon-of-doom-attacks-wcw-heavyweight-champion-hulk-.jpg

My suggestion for your theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi51kkMepn0

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
A12! That's just one more than the A11! The Greatest Offense. Also, 2 more than the Greatest Warplane ever Constructed!

Draxal

Do they technically even have 12 members yet? I thought they just had 11 signed up.

It's 10 with Navy/Tulsa (not official, but there's no way they would decline it ... Unless they got a MWC offer) coming in 2015. Navy might back out of it still.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's 10 with Navy/Tulsa (not official, but there's no way they would decline it ... Unless they got a MWC offer) coming in 2015. Navy might back out of it still.

Funny thing is all this conference shit had the MWC rolling as well. If they knew they would keep Boise, they may have just gone after C-USA and added Tulsa and Texas schools. Instead they end up with Hawaii, San Jose State, and Utah State.

Talk about realignment shuffle. Try to figure out who's in future C-USA. It's like deciphering WWII code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom