• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing is all this conference shit had the MWC rolling as well. If they knew they would keep Boise, they may have just gone after C-USA and added Tulsa and Texas schools. Instead they end up with Hawaii, San Jose State, and Utah State.

Talk about realignment shuffle. Try to figure out who's in future C-USA. It's like deciphering WWII code.

It's that which keeps me somewhat sane in this 'Merica12 conference shuffle.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's that which keeps me somewhat sane in this 'Merica12 conference shuffle.

They're eating the Sun Belt, plus North Texas, UTSA, Charlotte, and Old Dominion; when they all are allowed to play 1-A football.

Why does the NCAA have such low 1-A standards? It just makes the conference gap look that much bigger.

Draxal

They're eating the Sun Belt, plus North Texas, UTSA, Charlotte, and Old Dominion; when they all are allowed to play 1-A football.

Why does the NCAA have such low 1-A standards? It just makes the conference gap look that much bigger.

That is why the big boys want to split, because there really are no standards.

That is why the big boys want to split, because there really are no standards.

There are, the NCAA just chooses not to enforce them. They need to at least start enforcing standards. No reason more teams need to be added to FBS and there needs to be a contraction too...

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't even think of C-USA with that name. It makes me think of of the America East conference in basketball, and it's going to be confusing with the A12 initials, because it makes me think of the Atlantic 10 (A10) conference.

There really needs to be some originality in names these days. Big Sky is the only conference that doesn't include direction, coast, number, or generic "we're EVERYWHERE in the United States" type of name.

I don't even think of C-USA with that name. It makes me think of of the America East conference in basketball, and it's going to be confusing with the A12 initials, because it makes me think of the Atlantic 10 (A10) conference.

There really needs to be some originality in names these days. Big Sky is the only conference that doesn't include direction, coast, number, or generic "we're EVERYWHERE in the United States" type of name.

Agreed- A12 sounds way too similar to the A10. I personally liked resurrecting the Metro Conference label- they always talk about their market so it would be a no-brainer IMO.

Anyway, for all the C-USA hand-wringing, there is no way as a major college football program that I'd want to be a part of that mess. The new Big East isn't star studded but it is MILES ahead of C-USA. I still think the new Big East is solidly ahead of the MWC which has some hot garbage at the bottom of the conference.

Also, I think its smart to target Tulsa as team #12. I read some rumors about UMass, a school which should never have gone to FBS in the first place. Tulsa is an interesting program and (for now) would be solidly in the middle of the new conference.

Draxal

Agreed- A12 sounds way too similar to the A10. I personally liked resurrecting the Metro Conference label- they always talk about their market so it would be a no-brainer IMO.

Anyway, for all the C-USA hand-wringing, there is no way as a major college football program that I'd want to be a part of that mess. The new Big East isn't star studded but it is MILES ahead of C-USA. I still think the new Big East is solidly ahead of the MWC which has some hot garbage at the bottom of the conference.

Also, I think its smart to target Tulsa as team #12. I read some rumors about UMass, a school which should never have gone to FBS in the first place. Tulsa is an interesting program and (for now) would be solidly in the middle of the new conference.

UMass is only coming if Uconn bounces. I think every uconn fan would commit suicide if that happened while they were in the conference. And yeah, MWC is kinda screwed by the fact that there are really no good West Coast teams to grab. Pretty much the same exact problem as the Pac 12 (no good programs to grab except from Texas).

TheNatural

My Member!
UMass is only coming if Uconn bounces. I think every uconn fan would commit suicide if that happened while they were in the conference. And yeah, MWC is kinda screwed by the fact that there are really no good West Coast teams to grab. Pretty much the same exact problem as the Pac 12 (no good programs to grab except from Texas).

LOL - you think that would be the breaking point for UCONN fans after everything else that's happened to them the past couple of years?

Eh, yeah it's a bit close. But at the same time, I don't think anyone will get too confused because the A10 doesn't get mentioned every season until like April through March. Plus, they're about to get raided I'm sure by the Big East.

People saying A12 during November will tip them off that this is something different. If they even knew of the A10 in the first place.

UNC-Charlotte
Old Dominion
North Texas
UAB
Marshall
Southern Miss
Rice
UTEP
FAU
FIU
La Tech
UNT
UT-San Antonio

This would be a mighty fine FCS conference

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like we lost one Tech poster.

Dont say youre going to get someone banned!

He had only been back in this thread for a few days after a long hiatus anyway. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

I think the last time he was around was when he was telling me that Amaro's spleen injury was just a rumor and that he expected him back that week; Amaro ended up being out the rest of the season like I expected and after the season confirmed the lacerated spleen on twitter.

AntoneM

He had only been back in this thread for a few days after a long hiatus anyway. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

I think the last time he was around was when he was telling me that Amaro's spleen injury was just a rumor and that he expected him back that week; Amaro ended up being out the rest of the season like I expected and after the season confirmed the lacerated spleen on twitter.

Respect, as a fellow solo poster.

You'd think with something like a million undergrads, there would be more than one ASU fan on here.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So, Colorado has 5 QB's on the team and one coming in the summer.

I predict 2 wins.

And why did Kiel leave ND?

Draxal

So Rutgers has 4 commits for 2014, while in this time period last year they only had one.

Part of the reason, is that Flood is more established, but people are saying that commiting earlier is now a nationwide trend.

I know the Texas's/OSU's/Bamas always get the early commits, but have you been noticing this for the more midtier schools as well?

Draxal

Mistakenly double posted while trying to edit the previous post.

So, Colorado has 5 QB's on the team and one coming in the summer.

I predict 2 wins.

And why did Kiel leave ND?

Kid has pro ambitions and he was blocked by a qb that took ND to the title game in his freshman year.

cashman

Banned
So Rutgers has 4 commits for 2014, while in this time period last year they only had one.

Part of the reason, is that Flood is more established, but people are saying that commiting earlier is now a nationwide trend.

I know the Texas's/OSU's/Bamas always get the early commits, but have you been noticing this for the more midtier schools as well?

The lack of 2015 commits is really worrying to me.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well if nothing else our young coaching staff has been a massive hit with recruits. Amongst other things they're challenging them to basketball games on visits and Kingbury has challenged at least one recruit to a tennis match.

TheNatural

My Member!
The Big Ea .... America 12 loses another bowl bid it looks like:

The Big 12 Conference has had discussions with the Russell Athletic Bowl about a Big 12 team playing in the Orlando, Fla., game beginning in 2014, sources told ESPN.

The Russell Athletic Bowl recently completed the third year of a four-year deal pitting teams from the ACC and Big East conferences. The bowl contracts expire after the 2013 regular season, and the Big 12 would replace the Big East beginning in 2014 at the start of the next bowl cycle.

The bowl is talking to the Big 12 because the league wants a Florida bowl, and the Big East lineup is weakened by the past or future defections of West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville and Rutgers.

Yikes, that was the only decent bowl bid outside of the BCS slot. Now they're both gone.

The Big Ea .... America 12 loses another bowl bid it looks like:

Yikes, that was the only decent bowl bid outside of the BCS slot. Now they're both gone.

lol Fuck Florida Citrus Sports. Not that I didn't see this coming, but it is hilarious because it apparently used to be a Big XII tie-in but they dropped it do to nobody showing up. Don't see that changing when a 7-5 Baylor gets the bid and sends 1000 people.

At least if UCF/USF make the game, they'll get guaranteed sellouts.

Bowl situation will basically be former CUSA level.

TheNatural

My Member!
lol Fuck Florida Citrus Sports. Not that I didn't see this coming, but it is hilarious because it apparently used to be a Big XII tie-in but they dropped it do to nobody showing up. Don't see that changing when a 7-5 Baylor gets the bid and sends 1000 people.

At least if UCF/USF make the game, they'll get guaranteed sellouts.

Bowl situation will basically be former CUSA level.

To add on. More bad news. I was about to say "after that, the Belk bowl is the best tie in" ... then I saw this on ESPN:

League officials have discussed a multisite, rotational bowl partnership of the SEC, Big 12, Big Ten and ACC to maximize matchups over six years, according to two sources with knowledge of those discussions.

The Music City Bowl in Nashville, Belk Bowl in Charlotte and Alamo Bowl in San Antonio are among the sites being mentioned. Under the plan, one conference would appear annually and at least two other conferences would play in a rotation. The SEC, ACC and Big 12 would be logical annual hosts for those three respective bowls.
The Big Ten's direct involvement is still uncertain, but one source said they've been mentioned as a potential fourth tie-in.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ig-12-acc-big-ten-discuss-power-bowl-alliance

Now they're basically locking up all bowl games now.

Limedust

Alabama only has one commit for 2014, and isn't usually one to take too many really early in the cycle. Saban has to see them in person, blah, blah, blah.

Texas is the gold standard for taking early commits. USC is generally up there. LSU seems to have been doing the same in recent years.

Draxal

LOL - you think that would be the breaking point for UCONN fans after everything else that's happened to them the past couple of years?

I read the boneyard (their forums), they're teetering on the edge right now, it would be the last thing they need to finally tip them over. It was even worse then reading the Rutgers boards when Pitt and Cuse left.

I just wish the ACC wasn't so salty about Maryland, and let them bounce so Rutgers/Ville and ECU/Tulane can also bounce. Next year's lame duck season is going to suck for every party involved.

TheNatural

My Member!
I read the boneyard (their forums), they're teetering on the edge right now, it would be the last thing they need to finally tip them over. It was even worse then reading the Rutgers boards when Pitt and Cuse left.

I just wish the ACC wasn't so salty about Maryland, and let them bounce so Rutgers/Ville and ECU/Tulane can also bounce. Next year's lame duck season is going to suck for every party involved.

Well I mean after Calhoun retired, banned from the postseason this year, the Big East falling apart, finishing last in the league, etc wasn't enough to send them over the edge then nothing will.

Realistically, they should have just joined the Catholic 7 and played in the MAC in football. Hanging onto a football program they should have never started in the first place is causing them to completely lose their roots.

Draxal

Well I mean after Calhoun retired, banned from the postseason this year, the Big East falling apart, finishing last in the league, etc wasn't enough to send them over the edge then nothing will.

Realistically, they should have just joined the Catholic 7 and played in the MAC in football. Hanging onto a football program they should have never started in the first place is causing them to completely lose their roots.

Their fanbase clinging on to getting an ACC invite as a backfill after more ACC defections. They're also clinging on getting into the Big 10 as well, just in case the Big 10 can't get an ACC team to flip.

The Umass would be rockbottom for them, as due to how desperately void of talent the New England (Connecticut's ... all right, the other states have like 1/2 Div 1 recruit a year) in hs football. Having another NE team in the same conference would kill them in football, and they know it. Especially, since UConn looks down on them like Syracuse looks down on Rutgers. Syracuse fans took Rutger's joining the Big 10 worse than any team in the Big East did.

TheNatural

My Member!
Their fanbase clinging on to getting an ACC invite as a backfill after more ACC defections. They're also clinging on getting into the Big 10 as well, just in case the Big 10 can't get an ACC team to flip.

What bugs me is these programs don't do shit to improve their position.

There are so many teams out there looking to get in a big conference, most notably UCONN and Cincy. But look at what their programs are doing.

UCONN by some tiebreak in 2010 makes the Fiesta Bowl and they lost several million dollars because their fans didn't show up. I mean, that team was totally undeserving and not very good, but still - it's your TEAM. And they didn't show up in their biggest game in history. They want a big time invite when they didn't even support their big game?

Cincy did plenty better in support, but I would say it's more their athletic department that is more fucked up than their fans. When they axed Bob Huggins, I think a huge portion of their fanbase just basically said "fuck this shit, I'm done" and haven't come back since then.

Their athletic department has made no effort to upgrade their facilities, and at least get into Paul Brown stadium or something. They play in a decrepit 100 plus year old stadium. And even though they've had 3 straight pretty big time up and coming coaches, they wouldn't build facilities for them. I think this was a big deal when Kelly was there, I think he plain said "build me a fucking facility" in his contract extention, because it was so bad. I remember reading about that back then and it sounded like some of the shit he was using to recruit with was ridiculous, there were no facilities - no wonder everyone who gets there wants to leave in a couple years.

You gotta pay to play, and you gotta support to get in. Neither one wants to do that though.

Draxal

What bugs me is these programs don't do shit to improve their position.

There are so many teams out there looking to get in a big conference, most notably UCONN and Cincy. But look at what their programs are doing.

UCONN by some tiebreak in 2010 makes the Fiesta Bowl and they lost several million dollars because their fans didn't show up. I mean, that team was totally undeserving and not very good, but still - it's your TEAM. And they didn't show up in their biggest game in history. They want a big time invite when they didn't even support their big game?

Cincy did plenty better in support, but I would say it's more their athletic department that is more fucked up than their fans. When they axed Bob Huggins, I think a huge portion of their fanbase just basically said "fuck this shit, I'm done" and haven't come back since then.

Their athletic department has made no effort to upgrade their facilities, and at least get into Paul Brown stadium or something. They play in a decrepit 100 plus year old stadium. And even though they've had 3 straight pretty big time up and coming coaches, they wouldn't build facilities for them. I think this was a big deal when Kelly was there, I think he plain said "build me a fucking facility" in his contract extention, because it was so bad. I remember reading about that back then and it sounded like some of the shit he was using to recruit with was ridiculous, there were no facilities - no wonder everyone who gets there wants to leave in a couple years.

You gotta pay to play, and you gotta support to get in. Neither one wants to do that though.

In in all honesty, I think they upgraded their facilities for football. I think they suffered the same fate as Rutgers with some political ties causing them a lot of issues (I think the stadium being 50 miles off campus is because of that).

And yeah, UConn fan's always hang that one BCS game over Rutgers fans, but they don't realize that one BCS game hurt them so much (the lack of fanbase traveling). I mean Rutger's was their closest rival, our stadium isn't a piece of shit like the Carrier Dome yet when Rutgers plays Uconn they have 200 fans in the stadium. Compare that to WV/Ville fanswho live further yet fills the stadiums a decent amount more.

For Cinci, the chrismas card with Nippert Stadium was pretty funny, just because it was like about time for them.

UCONN? Fuck 'em. If we were able to tell our NIMBYs to screw off when we built our on-campus stadium, they can too. I don't they get any serious looks unless of course ACC loses more and they tell Boston College to sit down and/or they get their stadium situation in line.

Fans seem to be pricks sometimes too.

TheNatural

My Member!
In in all honesty, I think they upgraded their facilities for football. I think they suffered the same fate as Rutgers with some political ties causing them a lot of issues (I think the stadium being 50 miles off campus is because of that).

And yeah, UConn fan's always hang that one BCS game over Rutgers fans, but they don't realize that one BCS game hurt them so much (the lack of fanbase traveling). I mean Rutger's was their closest rival, our stadium isn't a piece of shit like the Carrier Dome yet when Rutgers plays Uconn they have 200 fans in the stadium. Compare that to WV/Ville fanswho live further yet fills the stadiums a decent amount more.

They did because of Kelly's demand years ago. At least a little bit. I don't remember it being some huge overhaul or anything, but they added a little bit on.

I think the bottom line is, UCONN isn't a football school. They lose Edsall and then hire some Syracuse reject coach that isn't going to do anything for the program.

Cincy has had the magic touch with coaches lately, although I don't think Tuberville is going to do much for them. Last year we did 20,000 more per game in attendance than them, when they were actually decent.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html#incart_flyout_sports

Draxal

They did because of Kelly's demand years ago. At least a little bit. I don't remember it being some huge overhaul or anything, but they added a little bit on.

I think the bottom line is, UCONN isn't a football school. They lose Edsall and then hire some Syracuse reject coach that isn't going to do anything for the program.

Cincy has had the magic touch with coaches lately, although I don't think Tuberville is going to do much for them. Last year we did 20,000 more per game in attendance than them, when they were actually decent.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html#incart_flyout_sports

I meant Uconn upgraded their football facilities.

UCONN? Fuck 'em. If we were able to tell our NIMBYs to screw off when we built our on-campus stadium, they can too. I don't they get any serious looks unless of course ACC loses more and they tell Boston College to sit down and/or they get their stadium situation in line.

Fans seem to be pricks sometimes too.

They had the reputation of the worst stadium to visit in 2004-11 Big East due to how nasty their fanbase is. Rutgers fans can be dicks as well but their is pretty much alot of self policing going on after the Navy incident.

Uconn is alot like Rutgers in that the politicians don't give a shit about them until it's too late to change anything. Rutgers just got lucky in that we're 40 minutes outside of New York so Delaney bailed us out (plus the fact that we pretty much invested in football only except for that stupid contract we gave to our woman's basketball coach).

TheNatural

My Member!
They had the reputation of the worst stadium to visit in 2004-11 Big East due to how nasty their fanbase is. Rutgers fans can be dicks as well but their is pretty much alot of self policing going on after the Navy incident.

I think West Virginia had that locked down. Your life is in danger along with your car or anything you bring there if you go to Morgantown.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I think West Virginia had that locked down. Your life is in danger along with your car or anything you bring there if you go to Morgantown.

God forbid you drive a couch there.

UConn was only bad to people who went to Rutgers as far as I can tell.

I'm sure the Rutgers fans deserved it. I am greatly embarrassed by most Rutgers fans. It's a combination of Philly/New York fan bases.

Edit: One good example of why I'm embarrassed by Rutgers fans - they seem to believe that the B1G as a conference is such a step up over the Big East for basketball that it will help basketball recruiting.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
be49wywcqaazbda.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom