• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still why Denard? Usually they get someone who was relevant during their career.

A bit harsh, no? He never really lost relevance. It came out that he wasn't a very good quarterback towards the end there, but he remained at least marginally big-time from his first career play all the way to his rushing for 1266 on 7.2 ypc last year.

42 career rushing touchdowns. Another 49 passing. He holds a shit ton of B1G and Michigan records and is the all time leading rusher from the QB position, is the only player in history to rush for 1,500 yards and pass for 1,500 yards, etc. All told he had a very nice career.

Plus it was a fan vote. Big Blue comes hard.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
lol read a few posts up. He did the exact same thing while he was at UCF. He just got hired from us. Week or so ago and is already sending them out again.

I want to see someone send a recruit letter that looks like a ransom note, or one of those shitty magazine collages that the popular girls in high school always did for various projects.

bluemax

Banned
A bit harsh, no? He never really lost relevance. It came out that he wasn't a very good quarterback towards the end there, but he remained at least marginally big-time from his first career play all the way to his rushing for 1266 on 7.2 ypc last year.

42 career rushing touchdowns. Another 49 passing. He holds a shit ton of B1G and Michigan records and is the all time leading rusher from the QB position, is the only player in history to rush for 1,500 yards and pass for 1,500 yards, etc. All told he had a very nice career.

Plus it was a fan vote. Big Blue comes hard.

Most of the previous cover athletes were Heisman Trophy winners and often National Champions. Denard is neither of those.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The 2009 Wii version featured the Michigan State mascot.

Still why Denard? Usually they get someone who was relevant during their career.

Although there were some weird choices for a few years when they did separate covers for every console.

What about this guy -

cover.jpg

He wasn't even the biggest name to come out of his biggest game on his own team. Ian Johnson was who everybody was talking about after the Fiesta Bowl win over OU.

Draxal

WVU guys are at it again. Saying FSU's BIG now (with a foolproof AAU plan or something like that).

Manager of warchant is freaking out at the guy, funny stuff.

Draxal

Is there a reason people keep paying attention to those guys? Have they been right about anything?

It's the offseason, and teams have been slacking on the fullmer cup.

Anyway, Thamel and McMurphy have been saying that the ACC is going to get poached, and they're been right in the past.

I don't understand why the Catholic 7 are so dead-set on keeping the BEAST name, since the brand has basically become a colossal joke at this point.

Yeah, not worth $100 million at this point. But they want it and they've paid for it! They also have to realize that at least over the past couple decades, it had been the FB schools that were also good in BB that have been making a name for the BE. UL, Cuse, UConn, WVU, etc.

These Catholic schools are about to be the A10+ and will go from being mentioned 7-8 months out of the year to about 3 during the latter part of the regular season and the tournament.

andycapps

NCSU, bringing the heat with this recruiting letter

original.png

Just looks like one of those junk mail things you get where they try to make you think it was hand written. You can see on the left side where the first part of "C" is cut off that it was a copy.

Recruiter was just trying to stand out and make the kid feel he was special in getting a handwritten note, vs a formal typewritten note.

So apparently there is college American football in the UK? There was a dedicated league for it before they were absorbed into an NCAA-esque organization. Highlight video of two teams here.

I think there have to be a few potential expansion candidates there.

It's nice to see they're finally playing Best Football across the pond. Cheerio.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I only just now realized how much SEC is being brought to Colorado.

So apparently there is college American football in the UK? There was a dedicated league for it before they were absorbed into an NCAA-esque organization. Highlight video of two teams here.

I think there have to be a few potential expansion candidates there.

The QB for the team in white has the best-worst 3step drop and throwing motion I have ever seen.

Also my high school played better ball than this, step your shit up UK!

Draxal

These are what the Big Divisions are going to look like.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/77632/divisions-debate-down-to-indiana-purdue

"East" division

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Purdue or Indiana

"West" division

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue or Indiana

That east division is top heavy (Going to be OSU dominated for a while, but PSU/UM will challenge in a bit). Purdue/Indiana will be the only protected xover game.

In the end though, both Purdue and Indiana are going to be in the west, once the Big Expands in the east again.

jjasper

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/77632/divisions-debate-down-to-indiana-purdue

"East" division

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Purdue or Indiana

"West" division

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue or Indiana

That east division is top heavy (Going to be OSU dominated for a while, but PSU/UM will challenge in a bit). Purdue/Indiana will be the only protected xover game.

In the end though, both Purdue and Indiana are going to be in the west, once the Big Expands in the east again.

Will they redo the divisions when they go divison III?

ChiTownBuffalo

"East" division

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Purdue or Indiana

"West" division

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue or Indiana

This is almost exactly what I want. It's time to end this stupid OSU/Michigan-in-the-title-game fantasy.

And who gives a shit about the Indiana teams? Flip a goddamned coin.

cdyhybrid

Nebraska and Wisconsin both have the tradition and the program to potentially win the conference. In the next few years? Probably not. But as said above, that's not something to base your conference around. These things are cyclical.

Draxal

I have informed my "boys" to spit on anyone they see who looks like Bert Cooper from Madmen.

I think he's been found dead in an alleyway in Baltimore.

Nebraska and Wisconsin both have the tradition and the program to potentially win the conference. In the next few years? Probably not. But as said above, that's not something to base your conference around. These things are cyclical.

I don't think it cyclical here. Top 5 B10 football states in recruits are Ohio/Penn/Michigan/Illinois/NJ. While all the schools recruit nationally, it's alot easier to pull athletes from your home recruiting base.

I have informed my "boys" to spit on anyone they see who looks like Bert Cooper from Madmen.

Yes im still safe!

The only thing cyclical in the Big 10 is if Ohio State or Michigan win the conf. Over the past 50 years either Ohio State or Michigan have won or shared the title probably over 40 of those years.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jim Delany

t has been my longstanding belief that The Big Ten's schools would forgo the revenues in those circumstances and instead take steps to downsize the scope, breadth and activity of their athletic programs," Delany wrote. "Several alternatives to a 'pay for play' model exist, such as the Division III model ... These alternatives would, in my view, be more consistent with The Big Ten's philosophy that the educational and lifetime economic benefits associated with a university education are the appropriate quid pro quo for its student athletes."

"It's not that we want to go Division III or go to need-based aid," Delany added to SI.com. "It's simply that in the plaintiff's hypothetical -- and if a court decided that Title IX is out and players must be paid -- I don't think we'd participate in that. I think we'd choose another option ... If that's the law of the land, if you have to do that, I don't think we would."

Sweet, so the B1G understands it's proper place in college athletics. Division III level.

cdyhybrid

Yes im still safe!

The only thing cyclical in the Big 10 is if Ohio State or Michigan win the conf. Over the past 50 years either Ohio State or Michigan have won or shared the title probably over 40 of those years.

Didn't Wisconsin win the conference the last three years?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Going by some quick and dirty work using the Wiki you're not far off. Total championships (awarding 1 to each team in the case of dual champions) -

Illinois..................4
Indiana................1
Iowa....................5
Michigan..............22
Michigan State.....6
Minnesota............1
Northwestern.......3
Ohio State...........22
Penn State...........1
Purdue..................2
Wisconsin .............6

Doing a quick skim, it looks like there were only 14 years in which neither Michigan or Ohio State weren't at least co-champions with another school - '63, '65, '65, '67, '83, '85, '87, '94, '95, '99, '01, '10, '11, and '12.

Note that Penn State had to vacate at least two championship due to the sex abuse thing vacating wins.

Didn't Wisconsin win the conference the last three years?

Technically Wisconsin won last season but if OSU had been eligible for the game they would have run the Badgers through a wood chipper.

Going by some quick and dirty work using the Wiki you're not far off. Total championships (awarding 1 to each team in the case of dual champions) -

Illinois..................4
Indiana................1
Iowa....................5
Michigan..............22
Michigan State.....6
Minnesota............1
Northwestern.......3
Ohio State...........22
Penn State...........1
Purdue..................2
Wisconsin .............6

Doing a quick skim, it looks like there were only 14 years in which neither Michigan or Ohio State weren't at least co-champions with another school - '63, '65, '65, '67, '83, '85, '87, '94, '95, '99, '01, '10, '11, and '12.

Note that Penn State had to vacate at least two championship due to the sex abuse thing vacating wins.

Technically Wisconsin won last season but if OSU had been eligible for the game they would have run the Badgers through a wood chipper.

2010 we won the title too, but vacated due to TPeezy.

Schmitty

"East" division

Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Purdue or Indiana

"West" division

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue or Indiana

I love this setup. East is stacked and should make for great schedules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom