• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touche. I wonder what happens to the Sun Belt in all this big dog eat little dog though. Looks like WAC scraps + Div 1-A newcomers.

Yeah, Idaho and New Mexico State will be rescued from their brief (nonexistent?) stint with independence and should be going to the Sun Belt. Other than that, yeah, they're getting a couple FCS schools to move up too. Georgia Southern and Appalachian State.

RIP WAC for reals on the FB side.

jakncoke

Banned
Who will be the next team from Div. IAA to move up to the Sun Belt?

What are the requirements?

"NCAA requirement of 15,000 average home attendance for FBS membership, the ultimate capacity is now certain to be considerably greater. The exact figure has not yet been determined."

Is one of them, thats got to be a slim list, no?

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2011.pdf

lol Eastern Michigan 4200, how they remain to be div 1 then?

looking over div1-aa the following team met 15k in 2011

App St.
Delaware
Florida A&M
Georgia Southern
Old Dominion
Norfolk St
North Dakota St.
Montana
Montana St.
Liberty
James Madison
Jacksonville St
Jackson St
South Alabama
South Carolina St
Yale

I don't think it really matters. The NCAA doesn't really enforce the requirements for the lower part of FBS anyway.

I think the main ones are selling(or I think it is actual attendance) at least 15k tickets average per game and offering the full 85 or whatever scholarships.

jakncoke

Banned
I don't think it really matters. The NCAA doesn't really enforce the requirements for the lower part of FBS anyway.

I think the main ones are selling(or I think it is actual attendance) at least 15k tickets average per game and offering the full 85 or whatever scholarships.

Just noticed in 2011 Umass averaged 10,005 a games so i guess NCAA decided to turn its head on the 15k thing i seen

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

"NCAA requirement of 15,000 average home attendance for FBS membership, the ultimate capacity is now certain to be considerably greater. The exact figure has not yet been determined."

Is one of them, thats got to be a slim list, no?

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2011.pdf

lol Eastern Michigan 4200, how they remain to be div 1 then?

looking over div1-aa the following team met 15k in 2011

App St.
Delaware
Florida A&M
Georgia Southern
Old Dominion
Norfolk St
North Dakota St.
Montana
Montana St.
Liberty
James Madison
Jacksonville St
Jackson St
South Alabama
South Carolina St
Yale

South Alabama is joining the Sun Belt this year. They've been in it since its inception for other sports, and when they created their football team in 2009 the plan was always to join the FBS in 2013.

South Alabama is joining the Sun Belt this year. They've been in it since its inception for other sports, and when they created their football team in 2009 the plan was always to join the FBS in 2013.

I thought USA was in the sun belt last year as 8 of their games were against sun belt teams. I think they were technically in the sun belt last year as an FBS program but would not have been eligible for a bowl due to the one year FCS to FBS transition period. UTSA was in the same boat in the WAC last year.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I thought USA was in the sun belt last year as 8 of their games were against sun belt teams. I think they were technically in the sun belt last year as an FBS program but would not have been eligible for a bowl due to the one year FCS to FBS transition period. UTSA was in the same boat in the WAC last year.

USA was in the Sun Belt in the sense that it played all of the Sun Belt teams; however in each of these games USA was treated as an OOC opponent. They may or may not have been in the FBS last year already, but 2013 will be the first year that they are "full" FBS, with the ability to play in the conference championship game and go to a bowl.

I'm enjoying this Utah-Colorado rival. It's a true rivalry, and the greatest rivalry Colorado has known in its 100 years of playing Div. IA football.

There is some genuine hate there unlike Colorado's lopsided rivalries with every school in the Big 12 (including Kansas) which consisted of 10 years of Colorado beating them to a bloody pulp, and 90 years of those schools of stomping Colorado.

In Metro news...

Congrats, ECU, you're an all sports member when you join in 2014! As stated, Tulsa is on deck.

The conference will only pursue all-sports expansion from here on out - exception being Navy. Navy is still shockingly on board for 2015.

Tulsa will give us 12 FB schools and 11 BB schools. BB would essentially be a home/home vs. everyone else for a total of 20 conference games.

CBS renewed their BB deal with the conference, so that should be the end of TV negotiations. Money sucks donkey balls but exposure is actually pretty good. 90% of conference FB games and 2/3 BB conference games will be on either OTA/broadcast or cable. Also a short contract. Designed to give these schools left out an opportunity to put or shut up. If everyone is stuck - say minus UConn and Cinci, we collectively will have to be beating out everyone else for that non-AQ access spot at a minimum. So my honeymoon period with Boise is officially ovah.

Final name will be announced mid to late April. And because I can't fucking ever remember either - starting in 2014 and 2015, I present the Metro/CTBA/CUSA3.0...

SMU
Memphis
Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Tulsa
East Carolina
UCF
USF
Navy - FB Only
Temple
Tulane - It took me about 5 minutes to think about it, then I had to look it up.

Draxal

Somebody go copy and paste Spurrier's comments about ESPN here.

SEC SEC SEC.

Everybody knows ESPN's going to be there next year's pro day unless something catastrophic happens

bluemax

Banned
Somebody go copy and paste Spurrier's comments about ESPN here.

SEC SEC SEC.

Everybody knows ESPN's going to be there next year's pro day unless something catastrophic happens

Like I said in the NFL thread Spurrier can fuck right off. He should be thanking ESPN and their SEC hard on for putting his over rated team in the top 10.

If that rule had any teeth whatsoever Stanford would have been out of the Pac 10/12 ages ago.

Fixed.

andycapps

God bless Stephen Orr Spurrier.

Yup

OBC+hissy+fit.JPG

andycapps

Love the Ol' Ball Coach out there fighting for his boys.

I hate Spurrier, but I definitely appreciate this. And I love his comments, as long as they're not directed at my team.

My only wish about his comments was that he would have called out Junior by name.

TheNatural

My Member!
In Metro news...

Congrats, ECU, you're an all sports member when you join in 2014! As stated, Tulsa is on deck.

The conference will only pursue all-sports expansion from here on out - exception being Navy. Navy is still shockingly on board for 2015.

Tulsa will give us 12 FB schools and 11 BB schools. BB would essentially be a home/home vs. everyone else for a total of 20 conference games.

CBS renewed their BB deal with the conference, so that should be the end of TV negotiations. Money sucks donkey balls but exposure is actually pretty good. 90% of conference FB games and 2/3 BB conference games will be on either OTA/broadcast or cable. Also a short contract. Designed to give these schools left out an opportunity to put or shut up. If everyone is stuck - say minus UConn and Cinci, we collectively will have to be beating out everyone else for that non-AQ access spot at a minimum. So my honeymoon period with Boise is officially ovah.

Final name will be announced mid to late April. And because I can't fucking ever remember either - starting in 2014 and 2015, I present the Metro/CTBA/CUSA3.0...

SMU
Memphis
Connecticut
Cincinnati
Houston
Tulsa
East Carolina
UCF
USF
Navy - FB Only
Temple
Tulane - It took me about 5 minutes to think about it, then I had to look it up.

Lots of breakdown for what's essentially taking one conference and replacing UAB, Southern Miss, Rice, and UTEP; for UCONN, Cincy, Temple, and USF.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Danny Amendola just happened to be in Lubbock on Tuesday and Wednesday while 4* receiver recruit Trey Quinn was making a visit.

WHITE RECEIVER U

Meier

Lunch was good today. Was walking back to my table after washing my hands and saw a dude with a hideous Gator shirt on. I always roll my eyes when I see them, but what made it particularly enjoyable was that he had on jorts. Not just any jorts, but some jeans that had been cut off to become jorts so that he looked extra trashy. Amazing.

andycapps

Lunch was good today. Was walking back to my table after washing my hands and saw a dude with a hideous Gator shirt on. I always roll my eyes when I see them, but what made it particularly enjoyable was that he had on jorts. Not just any jorts, but some jeans that had been cut off to become jorts so that he looked extra trashy. Amazing.

I would expect nothing less.

I'm now watching the Texas spring game on LHN. I have been thinking all week that it would take place on Sunday. Shows how much I care, lol. Also, since when did the aggy spring game get picked up by ESPN? Not even Alabama's spring game will be on ESPN ( theirs will be shown on ESPN2 ). I guess ESPN wants to build up A&M as much as possible for next season. A season with unprecedented high expectations for for aggy...what could possibly go wrong?

ag-my001

I'm now watching the Texas spring game on LHN. I have been thinking all week that it would take place on Sunday. Shows how much I care, lol. Also, since when did the aggy spring game get picked up by ESPN? Not even Alabama's spring game will be on ESPN ( theirs will be shown on ESPN2 ). I guess ESPN wants to build up A&M as much as possible for next season. A season with unprecedented high expectations for for aggy...what could possibly go wrong?
I know you're being rhetorical, but I will be watching with dread each game next season.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Soooooo, guys..

College football?

right?
Apparently my school wants to build a tiki bar of sorts in the middle of the stands at our stadium. So that's cool I guess if they can do it correctly. At the same time, not sure if more liquor is a good idea considering our expert tailgating atmosphere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom