• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
With virtually no depth along the offensive line, Florida may not be capable of holding a traditional spring game.

A suspension and a rash of injuries have left the Gators with six healthy scholarship offensive linemen, a number that isn’t likely to improve before the spring game on April 6.

“We’re adjusting as we go,” coach Will Muschamp said. “Even with the spring game, it may be more of a practice-like atmosphere.”
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/college-football/florida-gators-lack-of-o-line-depth-threatens-spri/nW5CL

Florida, do you even recruit?.jpeg

Draxal

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...rs-reprehensible-tolerated-college-basketball

More articles like that will be coming out Draxal.

I would think Rice is most certainly gone. Pernetti might be next...

I would put the odds on Pernetti being gone at about 70%.

Edit: As to why I'm not posting this on the NCAA b-ball thread. This is Rutgers. No one cares about basketball at Rutgers. The only thing important about this story is any potential impact it will have on football.

I still doubt Pernetti gets fired, ESPN's beating the drums but they're the one that has Bobby Knight on their payroll.

Gregg Doyel.

However, Doyel essentially posted an unintelligible rant.

Oh, Gary Parrish too.

It's rather ironic too, since TP used to work at CBS' Sports Department.

andycapps

Sounds like UGA's offensive line problems last year. They pretty much only played the same 5 guys and had no depth behind them. They have tons of depth this year.

Tray Matthews sent another receiver to the hospital yesterday with a bruised lung. Another ran away from him after the caught the ball. Finding it really hard not to overhype this kid.

jjasper

What's the difference between Vandy and Tennessee at this point? Academics?
I don't really know anymore. And the academics isn't even that cut and dry anymore when it comes to the athletes considering ours have had higher standards for admission for few years now.

Well, Vandy what a bowl game last year. So there's that.

Well yeah they have a competent coach. We had Derek Dooley and who knows what now.

The way the Rutgers fan base is taking the fact that the Mighty Tim Pernetti can do wrong is akin to Penn State learning about Joe Pa's transgressions...

They find new ways to disgust me. Sorry B1G fans.

Draxal

The way the Rutgers fan base is taking the fact that the Mighty Tim Pernetti can do wrong is akin to Penn State learning about Joe Pa's transgressions...

They find new ways to disgust me. Sorry B1G fans.

If Pernetti gets fired he deserved it, he fucked up this situation. I remember when this went down my reaction is ... why don't you just fire him, it's not like he's Coach K.

The only thing I'm kinda angry at is the reaction that Murdoch is getting, he's no saint.

Lonestar

Hearing a Former Rutger's player was on ESPN, and let loose the "See You Next Tuesday" attack.

Rutgers, I see what you're doing.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just going to put this here: http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/auburns_vainted_title_victims_violations_and_vendettas_for_glory/

Weird site, but the article is by Selena Roberts who wrote features for SI and who graduated from Auburn.

There is a whole lot of buzz coming out about early enrollee QB Davis Webb and what he's been getting done in spring practice, as in people are thinking he may not redshirt next season even if he doesn't beat out Brewer for the #1 spot. Personally I think it would be ridiculous to burn his redshirt if he only plays in garbage time; if he sews up the #2 spot just put in #3 or #4 for that kind of stuff. I don't want Webb burning a redshirt this season unless Brewer gets hurt or he beats out Brewer for the #1 spot.

Brewer has 3 seasons left, so if Webb doesn't redshirt that would mean (assuming Brewer stays #1 the rest of his career) he goes from having 2 seasons to play to only 1 season to play.

Pretty exciting to have this much buzz around our QBs, though. As I've mentioned before after Brewer got to campus every scholarship QB on the roster other than Seth Doege transferred because he was so good they knew they couldn't beat him, and now Webb is getting at least as much hype. Haven't had this kind of hype building around our QB recruits since Graham Harrell.

giga

Just going to put this here: http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/auburns_vainted_title_victims_violations_and_vendettas_for_glory/

Weird site, but the article is by Selena Roberts who wrote features for SI and who graduated from Auburn.

Academic fraud: Three players say that before the BCS Championship game the team was told that as many as nine of their teammates would not be able to play in the title game because they were academically ineligible. “We thought we would be without Mike Dyer because he said he was one of them, but Auburn found a way to make those dudes eligible,” says Mike Blanc, a teammate and roommate of Mike McNeil’s. Dyer’s name was cited by McNeil, too. Dyer did not respond to calls to his cell phone. Before the season, McNeil says he was given an F for attendance in a computer science class. “I had B work but I missed too many classes; and I went to the instructor and said, ‘I really need this grade,’” says McNeil. “He said that he was sorry but he wouldn’t change it. I went to the person over him. She was in a position of power and backed up the instructor. I then told my counselor with the athletic department.” Within days, McNeil says, the grade was changed from an F to a C and he did not miss a game.

Payments to players: Receiver Darvin Adams, a star player with NFL dreams and a family to support, wrestled with whether to turn pro after the championship season. He discussed his plans with teammates and told them how much pressure he was under by Auburn coaches to stay. McNeil and Blanc say Auburn coaches offered Adams several thousand dollars to stay for his senior year. “It was sugar-coated in a way,” says Adams, who confirmed he was offered financial incentives, but declined to detail the exact amount. “It was like, we’ll do this and that for you. But I’d rather do things the right way. I am happy I didn’t say yes to that stuff. That’s what I’d tell kids.” Adams turned pro but went undrafted, a result, one NFL scout says, was due to negative reports on him from Auburn coaches. Adams plays for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League and refuses to be bitter. “I play the cards I’m dealt,” he says. Other players tell stories of in-season cash payments to players. “Coaches would say, ‘Don’t tell anyone where you got it from,’’’ says Blanc. McNeil recalls having a difficult day at practice in 2007 and then-defensive coordinator, Will Muschamp, calling him into his office. “I had no clue what it was about because I’d never directly asked him for anything,” says McNeil. “He slid about $400 over to me. He went into a drawer and gave me money and said, ‘Is this enough? Is this good?’ And I said, ‘Yeah, I’m good.’” Muschamp, now the head football coach at the University of Florida, denied the payment through a spokesperson.

Recruiting violations: The NCAA allows less than $50 a day to be spent by student-athlete recruiters on visiting prospects but McNeil recalls coaches giving him $500 to entertain blue-chip player Dre Kirkpatrick, one of the top prep players in the country in 2008. “This is how it goes: Coaches have certain players that they trust. And when I say trust I mean on the field and off the field,” says McNeil. “It’s within the family. It’s within the system. If I’m a star player and I’m a likable person, and a recruit comes in at my position, then, of course, I’m going to take him under my wing. … If a star recruit was in town, you would get a lot more than the NCAA limit.” As Thorpe said, “A special recruit was treated like a king.”

iNzzpcLsIFRid.gif

Lonestar

My wishful thinking of Auburn Destruction has been pretty low the last year or so. Maybe this will carry me on for a couple of months.

Too bad we don't have any Auburn fan's POV here, to set us on the right path.

Lonestar

Don't worry, Auburn fans are downplaying this as a REC Smear Piece, with no basis in fact. Mike McNeal doesn't even have parents, as he was grown in a Scandinavian flower garden.

cdyhybrid

This is fantastic timing. Spring ball just started back up and NFL is in the dead period before the draft. Perfect time for an NCAA investigation to kick off!

jjasper

Why do people keep saying the Big East is being renamed the AAC. I have heard it three times on tv already. The Big East is still around. I guess it sounds better than the leftovers that left CUSA to join the big east and were prompted dumped by a majority of the schools named its new conference.

Why do people keep saying the Big East is being renamed the AAC. I have heard it three times on tv already. The Big East is still around. I guess it sounds better than the leftovers that left CUSA to join the big east and were prompted dumped by a majority of the schools named its new conference.

Well technically the Big East has sold it's name to a new conference. The current Big East will be the existing legal entity while the BB schools are creating their own legal entity effective July 1 or whenever the new athletic calendar starts with the NCAA.

And at this point selling the name to a conference for $100 million dollars is pretty worth it considering the fact that at most they will be an enhanced A-10 and the name has been through the mud anyway.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Well technically the Big East has sold it's name to a new conference. The current Big East will be the existing legal entity while the BB schools are creating their own legal entity effective July 1 or whenever the new athletic calendar starts with the NCAA.

And at this point selling the name to a conference for $100 million dollars is pretty worth it considering the fact that at most they will be an enhanced A-10 and the name has been through the mud anyway.
Dropping truth bombs in the hizzy.

jjasper

Yeah the name is dead in football. But considering they are shitty sports only it will be fine for them/ESPN.

Mike McNeil is hardly a reliable source.

And I would be willing to bet that everything mentioned in that article happens at nearly every major program.

Lonestar

The Robbery was mentioned, and was what kickstarted the article (his parents trying to locate him that night)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Mike McNeil is hardly a reliable source.

And I would be willing to bet that everything mentioned in that article happens at nearly every major program.
Of course it does, but not every major program has former playerS willingly talking about it.

The Robbery was mentioned, and was what kickstarted the article (his parents trying to locate him that night)

Ah. I haven't bothered to read that trash so I'm just referring to the minor complaints like extra food money for starving college kids and a little extra tutoring outside of the classroom.

It's hardly worth an exposé.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom