• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

She's kind of cute. And she's in the band so you know she's freaky.

True, if I squinted and were a little drunk she'd probably look a little like Emma Stone.

Jeff Driskel was bored the other day.

Florida starting QB Jeff Driskel experienced the Twitter equivalent of getting his hand caught in the cookie jar on Saturday.

Driskel tweeted out, “Bored.” It’s seemingly as innocuous a tweet as it can get, especially considering what other college football players have landed in hot water for. Of course, he didn’t anticipate any of his coaches reading that tweet.

@jeffdriskel go study film

— Brent Pease (@CoachPease) March 30, 2013

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just one year ago today, the greatest REAL April Fools Day Prank happened.

Pork_Chop_medium.gif

Arkansas's making this a habit (nevermind that this didn't happen today, but no one mentioned it so boom, April Fool's Day)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21977583/bielema-sabans-big-ten-record-cant-compare-to-mine
First things first: Bret Bielema is not the first football coach -- and won't be the last, either -- to make an impression on a new fanbase with some big-chested talk behind a podium.

All the same, if you throw down a gauntlet in Nick Saban's direction in any public forum, you're going to raise some eyebrows. According to Arkansas football site Hootens.com, at the Saline County Razorback Club fish fry, Bielema had this to say about his new conference home, its current champion and that champion's coach:

"The reason the SEC is talked about all the time is one team, because of their dominance. But I didn't come here to play Alabama. I came here to beat Alabama.

"You can take Saban's record when he was at Michigan State and when he was a coach in the Big Ten and put it against mine, and he can't compare."

andycapps

andycapps

Seems that UGA is changing things up quite a bit on defense this year. For starters, our nose tackle spot is locked up (for the time being) by 6'1: 289 lb Mike Thornton. His backup is 6'4" 315lb Chris Mayes. Quite a departure from the over 350 lb guys we had last year. He is apparently really quick and with a really low center of gravity he's doing quite well for himself. They moved 330 lb John Taylor out to end, but it may only be temporary so he can learn the position. I'm guessing they're looking for more speed overall, which is what all the players keep saying.. Much faster defense.

Tray Matthews has apparently locked up one of the safety spots. He's a true freshman but the kid has so much talent and is already built for the SEC. Apparently he knocked out Justin Scott-Wesley the other day at practice. Supposedly already drawing rave reviews, much like Gurley was last year at this time.
TI5TQFj.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
Louisville's softball team came through Oklahoma last weekend. Beat the top-ranked Sooners, who in non-Louisville games are 29-1.

Louisville's women's basketball team is here this weekend, in the Sweet 16 against top-ranked Baylor.

Louisville men's hoops seems to be the nation's best team. The Cardinals play Sunday for their 10th Final Four; they've been to regional finals four times in the last six years.

Louisville's baseball team beat Notre Dame on Friday night. No big deal until you realize the Fighting Irish are ranked 15th nationally, and the 'Ville is 10th.

And don't forget, the last time we saw Louisville's football team, the Cardinals were winning in a rout. Over Florida. In the Sugar Bowl.

Now is as good a time as any for our quarterly lamentation. How did the Big 12 ever let Louisville get away?

We knew it in October, when Louisville accepted an invitation to the Atlantic Coast Conference. Then again in January, when the 'Ville took a 33-10 lead on Florida and won 33-23. And we know it now.

The Big 12 missed the barge. The Big 12 stayed reactive instead of proactive. I tried to tell them. OU athletic director Joe Castiglione tried to tell them. David Boren and his pal, Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell, tried to tell them.

Louisville was a no-risk addition. Adding Louisville didn't mean the Big 12 had to commit to a 12-school format, but it would have positioned the conference to more easily expand, if that became the goal. Maybe best of all, Louisville would have been a morale boost to a beleaguered conference.

Yes, each Big 12 school would have taken a slightly lower television payout. Whatever value the 'Ville added would have been a little low to offset the extra mouth to feed. But think of the pragmatic benefits Louisville would have provided.

Especially this time of year. Another heavyweight in March Madness. Kansas' shoulders are getting tired, carrying the rest of the conference the way the Jayhawks have in recent years.

Think of Kansas City — or hopefully Oklahoma City — hosting a Big 12 Tournament with Louisville. A quarterfinal docket of Kansas-Texas, Louisville-OU, OSU-Iowa State, Kansas State-West Virginia. Are you kidding me?

Plus annual Louisville trips to Norman and Stillwater. College basketball has a marketing problem, which means the Big 12 has a marketing problem. Of all the ways we've discussed enhancing Big 12 hoops, nothing would have affected it like the addition of Louisville.

And football? Play a 10-game schedule and get out ahead of the new Football Four committee, which has quite sufficiently scared all kinds of teams into upgrading their schedules when the new playoff format begins in 2014.

Plus, Louisville is a program willing to host a Thursday night game, which increasingly will become an issue for a league contractually obligated to provide four Thursday night games a season, much to the chagrin of several schools.

Well, all kinds of reasons to add Louisville. I'm getting depressed. I better stop.

Good luck, Rick Pitino, en route to the Final Four. Good luck, Louisville women, during your time in OKC this week. Good luck, Louisville softball; hope you make it back to OKC for the Women's College World Series. Good luck, Louisville football. Maybe we'll see you in the Fiesta Bowl next January, where you can again show the Big 12 just how wrong it was.

http://newsok.com/how-did-the-big-12-conference-let-louisville-get-away/article/3778376/?page=1

cool-denzel-o.gif

KingGondo

Banned
While I wish we would have added UL, let's not pretend they would've been in a BCS Bowl this past year if they had played a Big 12 schedule instead of a Big Least schedule.

Draxal

While I wish we would have added UL, let's not pretend they would've been in a BCS Bowl this past year if they had played a Big 12 schedule instead of a Big Least schedule.

Teddy's legit (still bummed about that ville/rutgers game ... Teddy was a cripple that game and they let him pick him apart instead of being blitz happy like they are every other game), and they actually have a defense unlike WVU.

KingGondo

Banned
Teddy's legit (still bummed about that ville/rutgers game ... Teddy was a cripple that game and they let him pick him apart instead of being blitz happy like they are every other game), and they actually have a defense unlike WVU.
Everybody's defense looks worse in the Big 12. No way they would have finished above third in last year's Big 12.

andycapps

UGA tweaked some things today in their football, basketball and track uniforms to make the logos, colors and fonts more consistent. Guess it was all done in partnership with Nike. I don't see that anybody has done comparisons yet, and I can't figure out how to rehost the images of the jerseys or even link to them yet aside from a crappy photo below. The G logo is unchanged, to my eye. Maybe it's a slightly different color red? Doesn't seem like it. The bulldog logo is changed, and I guess it probably works better for graphics being that both sides are identical, but I preferred the older one. It's been the same forever, and I'm old fashioned, didn't see a need to change it. I guess this does look more modern, meh. The fonts on the lettering are less blocky, which I'm not sure if I like yet. I didn't see a reason to mess with it.

KF17AtB.png

Oji3wU7.jpg

Though it does look like they're keeping the old Bulldog as an "additional athletic mark." I guess they won't be using it, but it's still copyrighted or something.

Finding it hard not to get hyped for Tray Matthews. Richt is usually pretty reserved in praising any true freshmen, because it's still only just practices and scrimmages, but he was pretty glowing in his praise today. Said "It's been impressive. I'm not going to sit here and say it's anything but impressive." That is very un-dude.

andycapps

Apparently the new UGA font was created specifically for them by Nike, and all this has been in the works for 15 months. Nike asked about experimenting with different color schemes and our AD said no thanks.

Limedust

Arkansas's making this a habit (nevermind that this didn't happen today, but no one mentioned it so boom, April Fool's Day)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21977583/bielema-sabans-big-ten-record-cant-compare-to-mine

"You can take Saban's record when he was at Michigan State and when he was a coach in the Big Ten and put it against mine, and he can't compare."

Can't wait to do the SEC comparison in a few years and see how they stack up.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Lets just say, that the last 3 seasons are the best 3 season period that Wisconsin has ever had. 3 Conference titles in a row, 3 Rose Bowl appearances (2 losses by Beielieliima and 1 by Alvarez). 11-2, 11-3, and...8-6. Best Wisconsin Period Ever, or at least since the 1890's.

Wonder how the same 3 year period Saban had at Alabama went...

Face it, back in the 90's, Mich State had to go up against Michigan when they were really good, tOSU, ND when they were good, and I think that was before Penn State started their decline (though who knows, their record books have been set on fire, with no showers to put them out...), while Wisconsin 2010-2012 had tOSU and. And. And I'm drawing a blank.

ag-my001

Counting bowl games, he averaged just under 10 wins/season at Wisconsin. Any takers on the over/under for matching that mark in the SEC?

I'll even let you average it out over 3 years.

Anyone?

Draxal

Lets just say, that the last 3 seasons are the best 3 season period that Wisconsin has ever had. 3 Conference titles in a row, 3 Rose Bowl appearances (2 losses by Beielieliima and 1 by Alvarez). 11-2, 11-3, and...8-6. Best Wisconsin Period Ever, or at least since the 1890's.

Wonder how the same 3 year period Saban had at Alabama went...

Face it, back in the 90's, Mich State had to go up against Michigan when they were really good, tOSU, ND when they were good, and I think that was before Penn State started their decline (though who knows, their record books have been set on fire, with no showers to put them out...), while Wisconsin 2010-2012 had tOSU and. And. And I'm drawing a blank.

Wisconsin didn't have tOSU in 2012.

jjasper

Counting bowl games, he averaged just under 10 wins/season at Wisconsin. Any takers on the over/under for matching that mark in the SEC?

I'll even let you average it out over 3 years.

Anyone?

No one in their right mind would think a coach would go from winning 10 games a year in Division III to winning 10 games a year in the SEC.

What's college basketball? Only reason people defended Paterno was that he's a legend, Mike Rice is Mike Rice.

I'm just trying to do better Rutgers PR here than Tim Pernetti.

He should have fired Rice. Now Rice, President Barchi, and Tim Pernetti are on the chopping block.

Major slip up by him. Big time slip up.

Draxal

I'm just trying to do better Rutgers PR here than Tim Pernetti.

He should have fired Rice. Now Rice, President Barchi, and Tim Pernetti are on the chopping block.

Major slip up by him. Big time slip up.

Barchi's not on the chopping block, Pernetti is but I think he scrapes by, but Rice is gone. Murdoch's going to get paid.

Rutgers was fucked either way, sucks to be poor.

Murdock isn't getting paid. He only went public because he wasn't getting paid, and this doesn't help his case.

A. He wasn't fired.
B. He wasn't removed because he threatened to whistle blow. He only blew the whistle after he left to get some cash.

If the university pays him, that's just stacking bad policy on top of bad policy.

As for the above three, you are forgetting about Clementi. Don't forget about Clementi. This creates a bad narrative for the university. Interest groups are going to be gunning hard for the school. They would not be wrong to do so, even though I feel that Rutgers is very hospitable towards LGBT students and was very hospitable towards them when I was on the banks a decade+ ago. That's because the narrative now exists. The school must now reverse it AGAIN. An overreaction is better than an underreaction. Barchi must certainly be on the chopping block along with the other two. If Pernetti fired Rice this incident would have passed over. He didn't fire Rice, and now even Lebron James is clowning RU.

Draxal

Murdock isn't getting paid. He only went public because he wasn't getting paid, and this doesn't help his case.

A. He wasn't fired.
B. He wasn't removed because he threatened to whistle blow. He only blew the whistle after he left to get some cash.

If the university pays him, that's just stacking bad policy on top of bad policy.

As for the above three, you are forgetting about Clementi. Don't forget about Clementi. This creates a bad narrative for the university. Interest groups are going to be gunning hard for the school. They would not be wrong to do so, even though I feel that Rutgers is very hospitable towards LGBT students and was very hospitable towards them when I was on the banks a decade+ ago. That's because the narrative now exists. The school must now reverse it AGAIN. An overreaction is better than an underreaction. Barchi must certainly be on the chopping block along with the other two. If Pernetti fired Rice this incident would have passed over. He didn't fire Rice, and now even Lebron James is clowning RU.

There's two competing things here respect and money. I think $$$ wins out. If Rice gets fired, Murdoch's law suit gets more merit and he's going to get paid. It's going to happen.

If this was any other school besides Maryland this would not be an issue, and we would have fired Rice in December.

There's two competing things here respect and money. I think $$$ wins out. If Rice gets fired, Murdoch's law suit gets more merit and he's going to get paid. It's going to happen.

If this was any other school besides Maryland this would not be an issue, and we would have fired Rice in December.

$$$ don't matter at this point. The state will pay at this juncture just to make sure the nuclear fallout doesn't affect more important things like the med school merger.

The fact that this is now news is everywhere is not good. It can color people's perceptions on Rutgers on everything. It's not a Sandusky level incident at all. However, through inaction, Rutgers makes this a bigger story.

There is no lawsuit filed by Murdock. That's not a concern even if there was a lawsuit. It doesn't matter. The $$$ amounts given to Murdock will be miniscule compared to the $$$ amounts lost by letting this fester.

About 10 years ago I tried teaching tennis to my sister, but got really frustrated and impatient with her incompetence so I started smashing tennis balls at her. I didn't realize this coaching technique would be encouraged at Rutgers. Is there an opening for a tennis coach at Rutgers?

I'm not even confident that Louisville will win the Artist Formerly Known as the Big East this year.

About 10 years ago I tried teaching tennis to my sister, but got really frustrated and impatient with her incompetence so I started smashing tennis balls at her. I didn't realize this coaching technique would be encouraged at Rutgers. Is there an opening for a tennis coach at Rutgers?

Sure, for $50,000.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...rs-reprehensible-tolerated-college-basketball

More articles like that will be coming out Draxal.

I would think Rice is most certainly gone. Pernetti might be next...

I would put the odds on Pernetti being gone at about 70%.

Edit: As to why I'm not posting this on the NCAA b-ball thread. This is Rutgers. No one cares about basketball at Rutgers. The only thing important about this story is any potential impact it will have on football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom