• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I bet students at Auburn are furious. It's one thing to have suspicions that athletes have different standards academically but to have it confirmed? That's awful.

Glad to hear that the professor and the department head tried to stand their ground though.

While I don't doubt that most of these allegations are at least somewhat true, the source of the article ("I hate Duke" Selena Roberts) and the source of the information (bitter criminal Mike McNeil) are highly questionable. Especially with the former players recanting most of their (alleged) statements. Without physical evidence, I'm not sure where this actually goes.

To address the actual allegations, the money part doesn't really bother me but as an Auburn graduate who worked my ass off in school while working nearly full-time (summa cum laude!), changing grades does piss me off. Players should understand their obligations and their consequences for not making their grades, and if we don't think certain players can make the grade, then don't recruit them. Talent be damned.

Also, this stuff happens ALL OF THE TIME in every major program and frankly, it always has. Every school is just a bitter, scorned player away from having similar allegations.

andycapps

Pretty sure we've only ever had one Auburn fan, returning again and again.

It's Matt's annual appearance! Seems to always coincide with new allegations regarding Auburn.

caminvestigation_zps7a5d6c48.gif

CouldBeWorse said:
While I don't doubt that most of these allegations are at least somewhat true, the source of the article ("I hate Duke" Selena Roberts) and the source of the information (bitter criminal Mike McNeil) are highly questionable. Especially with the former players recanting most of their (alleged) statements. Without physical evidence, I'm not sure where this actually goes.

To address the actual allegations, the money part doesn't really bother me but as an Auburn graduate who worked my ass off in school while working nearly full-time (summa cum laude!), changing grades does piss me off. Players should understand their obligations and their consequences for not making their grades, and if we don't think certain players can make the grade, then don't recruit them. Talent be damned.

Also, this stuff happens ALL OF THE TIME in every major program and frankly, it always has. Every school is just a bitter, scorned player away from having similar allegations.

It's pretty damned typical of an Auburn fan to start attacking the accuser in this situation. Next thing you'll be defining allegations for us.

jjasper

It's Matt's annual appearance! Seems to always coincide with new allegations regarding Auburn.

Or when his ban is up from making fun of the Wii. I am sure he would have thoroughly enjoyed thoughtful discussion about the Wii U. RIP

I bet students at Auburn are furious. It's one thing to have suspicions that athletes have different standards academically but to have it confirmed? That's awful.

You don't know Auburn students that well. They will be more furious about being on probation than athletes cheating.

andycapps

Or when his ban is up from making fun of the Wii. I am sure he would have thoroughly enjoyed thoughtful discussion about the Wii U. RIP

You don't know Auburn students that well. They will be more furious about being on probation than athletes cheating.

True, but I think he was perm'd. Hobbes could probably tell us.

I agree about Auburn students. Though I don't think most will entertain the fact that any of these allegations are true, they'll just attack the source. Even if they were true, they don't care as long as their program got a championship out of it.

giga

:camnewton

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Uh-oh. Someone brought it to the main board. Cue the "shut down all programs" posts.

Yeah, but remember the stupidity that ensued with Sandusky? So far, the only good part about being in community.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

This logo is the Georgia equivalent of our:

JryEf6N.jpg

which they gave us after taking away our:

E428pYr.jpg

It won't be long before you miss this:

NoDSmLs.jpg

but it will be too late for that. I know they say that they're not getting rid of your old logo, but you know it will be transitioned out in favor of the new logo.

What a horrible logo (like our "modernized" logo), and I hope, for your sake, that they realize their mistake quickly.

Also, you should feel bad for making it your avatar.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just to let it be known, I always thought the older UGA logo looked like he was at the tail end of a strenuous dump.

It is possible to update an old, overly busy logo like Georgia's dawg head to a modern, vector-based design without completely robbing it of its charm.

That new Georgia dawg is bland as hell.

In any case, I find it amusing that a good two-thirds of college sports logos from the mid-20th century were animals in hats and/or sweaters.

andycapps

This logo is the Georgia equivalent of our:

JryEf6N.jpg

which they gave us after taking away our:

E428pYr.jpg

It won't be long before you miss this:

NoDSmLs.jpg

but it will be too late for that. I know they say that they're not getting rid of your old logo, but you know it will be transitioned out in favor of the new logo.

What a horrible logo (like our "modernized" logo), and I hope, for your sake, that they realize their mistake quickly.

Also, you should feel bad for making it your avatar.

Actually I do feel bad. I don't like it. The old logo was so much better. I have a sticker of that on my car. I just put my avatar up because I got tired of that special Auburn girl.

I fixed the glitch. I'll be able to sleep better tonight.

mre

Actually I do feel bad. I don't like it. The old logo was so much better. I have a sticker of that on my car. I just put my avatar up because I got tired of that special Auburn girl.

I fixed the glitch. I'll be able to sleep better tonight.

I knew you had taste and sensibilities.

Lonestar

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/4/4/4183936/mark-emmert-press-conference-ncaa-final-four

Wonder if there's video/audio of this Mark Emmert (President of NCAA) presser.

Peter Berkes @runthedive

Mark Emmert, distributing the bitchface with reckless abandon

@RachelAGeorge: To Dennis Dodd, who wrote Emmert should be out, "By the way, thx for the career advice. Kept my job anyway."

Nicole Auerbach ✔ @NicoleAuerbach

As he walks off stage, Emmert tells @dennisdoddcbs: "I'm still here. I know you're disappointed, but here I am."

Dan Wolken @DanWolken

Never seen an Emmert presser this feisty. Taking shots at Dodd, going at it with Joe Nocera. Crazy.

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt

Mark Emmert was just a double-fisted-bird farewell away from a Marshall Henderson performance today.

Auburn - gets off scot free.

Rutgers - death penalty.

I'm already prepared. It's a big enough target that it will scare everyone into submission. A small enough target that it won't hurt the bottom line.

Rutgers - death penalty.

I'm already prepared. It's a big enough target that it will scare everyone into submission. A small enough target that it won't hurt the bottom line.

Don't worry. You're a B1G time program now. Temple is about to get wiped off the face of the earth.

Draxal

Rutgers - death penalty.

Oh please, Rutgers basketball was dead already with half our team transferring. You could suspsend the team from the post season and it would spare us the embarassement fo losing to a team in the first game of the Big 10 tournament.

I don't like Dodd, I'm glad Emmert gave him shit.

So I finally just read the article. I had no clue that Mike McNeil was such a saint! Selena Roberts is providing better PR for him than any PR agency could hope to provide because she's doing it in the "guise" of journalism, where if she writes it, it must be true!

------------

Seriously, though, that paints a pretty damning picture of the state of big-time college football in small town America. I hope that it's not true but fear that it is. Aspects of the story do seem exaggerated for dramatic effect, but I'm sure there is some truth to all of the allegations. If the allegations are found to be truthful and provable, Auburn should suffer the punishment that they deserve for breaking the rules. It's as simple as that.

I will always love Auburn but I want to be proud of my school. I don't want to be a laughingstock. I don't want to always be on the defensive. If we have to be 3-9 for three more years until we weed out all of the bad elements, so be it. If we have to completely replace the administration, the police leadership, and the city leadership who are all bought and owned by the Auburn athletics machine, so be it.

Malzahn and his staff are on a VERY short leash and must run everything by the book from this point forward, if they haven't been already.

mre

So I finally just read the article. I had no clue that Mike McNeil was such a saint! Selena Roberts is providing better PR for him than any PR agency could hope to provide because she's doing it in the "guise" of journalism, where if she writes it, it must be true!

------------

Seriously, though, that paints a pretty damning picture of the state of big-time college football in small town America. I hope that it's not true but fear that it is. Aspects of the story do seem exaggerated for dramatic effect, but I'm sure there is some truth to all of the allegations. If the allegations are found to be truthful and provable, Auburn should suffer the punishment that they deserve for breaking the rules. It's as simple as that.

I will always love Auburn but I want to be proud of my school. I don't want to be a laughingstock. I don't want to always be on the defensive. If we have to be 3-9 for three more years until we weed out all of the bad elements, so be it. If we have to completely replace the administration, the police leadership, and the city leadership who are all bought and owned by the Auburn athletics machine, so be it.

Malzahn and his staff are on a VERY short leash and must run everything by the book from this point forward, if they haven't been already.
Yes, you would think that McNeil should have a Halo. I liked the part about how he did "B" work in a class, but never showed up so he got a "F." That sounds like the behavior of a kid who always makes the right decisions.

TheNatural

My Member!
Is there some sort of aggregate list of all the SEC teams that have been on probation the last 20 years or so? When's the last time the conference was 100% probation free?

mre

Is there some sort of aggregate list of all the SEC teams that have been on probation the last 20 years or so? When's the last time the conference was 100% probation free?

Look out, guys. The Louisville fan is going all Notre Dame on us.

jjasper

What kind of probation we talking? The real kind with postseason bans or the bullshit wrist slap don't talk to recruits as much maybe a reduction in a scholly or two kind? Cause if it is the latter that will never happen for a major conference ever again.

TheNatural

My Member!
What kind of probation we talking? The real kind with postseason bans or the bullshit wrist slap don't talk to recruits as much maybe a reduction in a scholly or two kind? Cause if it is the latter that will never happen for a major conference ever again.

Postseason ban + probation for 2-3 years or whatever after.

Lonestar

Different kinds of "Major" probation, now that there's "vacating wins" as punishment. I'd imagine Alabama was the last SEC school that couldn't go to a bowl game (unless Kentucky/Mississippi schools had one of these as well, but since they rarely go to a bowl game, we never noticed).

Then you had Alabama deleting 30 wins over books, and LSU lost a scholarship or 2 for paying a player's rent (or something). South Carolina might not have heard back about that whole "Players stay in a hotel for free" deal.

But nothing obviously major since Alabama in the early 00's.

Oh please, Rutgers basketball was dead already with half our team transferring. You could suspsend the team from the post season and it would spare us the embarassement fo losing to a team in the first game of the Big 10 tournament.

I don't like Dodd, I'm glad Emmert gave him shit.

Fair enough.

I'm not going to bump the GAF thread at this point. However, the University is cleaning house. They just bumped off the General Counsel. Pernetti's next. Barchi is probably on the block as well. The NCAA is probably going to give us an accelerated review, Penn State style. I just know it. Perfect program to make an example of...

This is worse than my worst case scenarios. We're going to get screwed worse than Baylor for murder-gate.

Draxal

Fair enough.

I'm not going to bump the GAF thread at this point. However, the University is cleaning house. They just bumped off the General Counsel. Pernetti's next. Barchi is probably on the block as well. The NCAA is probably going to give us an accelerated review, Penn State style. I just know it. Perfect program to make an example of...

This is worse than my worst case scenarios. We're going to get screwed worse than Baylor for murder-gate.

I don't know what's going to happen right now.

FBI's on Rutgers campus as they deal with this extortion issue, ESPN might get fucked.

TheNatural

My Member!
Fair enough.

Over just the coach being a prick? Is there other stuff I missed at Rutgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom