• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The words thrown around were "Lack of institutional control."

The Rutgers fan base gets apoplectic at Penn State comparisons for good reason. The NCAA is going to be apply that standard, if Emmert is already throwing those words out.

Draxal

Honestly, Pernetti might be safer than Barchi, I didn't know Rutgers Newark hated him so much.

Should just split the three schools campuses, nj parochialism is disastrous.

Edit>

Sirpopopoop

ESPN claims outsidethelines didn't know that there was an extortation attempt was made in Rutgers in November/December. When all the NJ papers said that what was going on.

I wonder if ESPN is going to face any heat for this.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, Penn State opened up some crazy loopholes the NCAA can use on schools, now. Used to be solely based on Schools attempting to gain competitive/monetary edges, now the personal/tragic side is punishable.

Just think, if the NCAA does put Rutgers on Probation for a situation based on your coach beating/treating your players poorly. Punishing the actual Victims!

Honestly, Pernetti might be safer than Barchi, I didn't know Rutgers Newark hated him so much.

Should just split the three schools campuses, nj parochialism is disastrous.

Edit>

Sirpopopoop

ESPN claims outsidethelines didn't know that there was an extortation attempt was made in Rutgers in November/December. When all the NJ papers said that what was going on.

I wonder if ESPN is going to face any heat for this.

ESPN won't face any heat for this because they control the news.

527128_10151528853031178_1822446001_n.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
guys on the radio here just said that ESPN says but out their own article following a six-month investigation into Auburn's 2010 team. no clue what it says though.

guys on the radio here just said that ESPN says but out their own article following a six-month investigation into Auburn's 2010 team. no clue what it says though.

I think what our dear old southern, lawyering type is trying to say here is ESPN posted an article, he doesnt know what its about.

Luckily I do! Heres the link, bunch of players failed pot test a whole bunch and nothing happened.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-football-players-failed-synthetic-pot-tests

Auburn you fucked, once ESPN has a grasp on you, they dont let go.

I think what our dear old southern, lawyering type is trying to say here is ESPN posted an article, he doesnt know what its about.

Luckily I do! Heres the link, bunch of players failed pot test a whole bunch and nothing happened.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-football-players-failed-synthetic-pot-tests

I'm surprised ESPN broke this story. Usually they let Bleacher Report, SBNation, Yahoo or some other media outlet take care of the investigating. Especially considering ESPN's invested interest in the SEC. I suppose if Auburn was still relevant in the SEC they would have kept silent as well.

Maddness

They've had a grasp on us for a while, I think anyway. Though I will say it's funny when Joe Schad is the one shedding positive info about all of this on twitter.

I can't believe it's on the main board though. Jesus.

They've had a grasp on us for a while, I think anyway. Though I will say it's funny when Joe Schad is the one shedding positive info about all of this on twitter.

Oh now, they havent sunk their teeth in yet, ask us Buckeyes or the Trojan fans. Now if yahoo comes for you, look out!

Talon

I'm surprised ESPN broke this story. Usually they let Bleacher Report, SBNation, Yahoo or some other media outlet take care of the investigating. Especially considering ESPN's invested interest in the SEC. I suppose if Auburn was still relevant in the SEC they would have kept silent as well.
The Sports Vatican has a vested interested in every (major) conference.

Who's more likely to lie about Auburn - Dre Kirkpatrick or Mike McNeil.

Great fact-checking there, Roberts.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So what's going on with the Mountain West? We're in April and they still haven't released their 2013 conference schedules. Most FCS teams have their full schedules posted by now. Did the MWC disband when I wasn't paying attention?

So what's going on with the Mountain West? We're in April and they still haven't released their 2013 conference schedules. Most FCS teams have their full schedules posted by now. Did the MWC disband when I wasn't paying attention?

They're still weighing their options between either A) Letting Boise play every conference game at home or B) Just awarding Boise an undefeated conference record.

The more I think about it, the more I think Tim Pernetti is getting a raw deal here. Yes, it's an unpopular opinion, and not one I'm going to voice in the lynching thread, but hear me out:

1. He didn't fire Rice because the university's inside counsel and outside counsel told him that if he fired Riced the school would be on the hook for his salary. Yes, I don't know what legal was thinking, since it's obvious Rice could be fired with cause. However if I was in Pernetti's position, I would consider my hands tied at that point.

2. He brought it up with the President. He made mention of the tape. The President choose not to see the tape. It's not Pernetti's fault, the President didn't see the tape. It's the President's fault.

3. So, with his hands tied from firing Rice, he did what he could. He suspended him for 3 weeks, and docked him about $70,000 in pay. That's about a 1/8 of Rice's salary for the season. That's a good chunk of change. It's not something small. Rice had to go through counseling. Rice had to have monitors at practice. He didn't cover this up. He had a press conference on the subject. Sure, he didn't give every single sordid detail, but he did summarize what went on. ESPN likes to say this didn't change anything. Well, ESPN, to be frank knows nothing. (See:note) . After the suspension, Rice was severely toned down. If they actually watched the games, they would have known this.

Yet, everyone needs a fall guy, and sacking the University's legal counsel isn't enough. You have to get the guy whose hands were tied by said counsel. Yes, he gave a bad interview on ESPN. He really screwed the pooch with that one. He screwed the pooch with crisis management.

Yet, I don't think that's enough to fire someone whose done a lot of good for the University. Let me be clear: A lot of you think Rutgers can get a better AD than Tim Pernetti. As someone who is a pessimist with regards to the abilities of a lot of people at Rutgers, Tim Pernetti in the end, was one guy who did a lot of good. The school will not get a better AD than him. Other than Mike Rice, I must objectively state the guy was gold. The next AD is going to have major trouble. The boosters weren't happy about how Uncle Bob was canned, and he was mediocre. They were brought back into the fold by the awesome job TP did. They are absolutely livid over TP probably being canned. The next AD isn't going to take the risks. The next AD is going to be very milquetoast. He'll definitely be Fred Gruninger the Second. Someone who doesn't care about excellence, because he'll never take a risk. Why would he take a risk? Taking a risk will get you fired. Without having that fiery power, that person won't get the boosters back.

And that's the problem Rutgers. To be blunt, Tim Pernetti's job shouldn't be judged by what some professors thinks of him, or what ESPN thinks of him, or what politicians still bitter over Rutgers scuttling Rutgers-Rowan think. He should be judged by the people who buy his product. And those people like him. Yet, because heads must roll, TP's gotta go down. I'm ok with Barchi getting chopped. I'm not ok with TP getting chopped. Yet, in the end, you can't leave a tree standing I suppose.

Note: ESPN's articles have been littered with numerous errors. Like for example apparently there's an executive committee at the Rutgers School of Law that has this outside legal counsel on it. Well, guess what folks, there is no executive committee at the Rutgers School of Law, and certainly not one with this outside legal counsel on it. Austin Johnson is not a sophomore forward, he's a graduated senior forward.

As to why I would care about these errors - I went to the Rutgers School of Law. It's a very small school. Therefore I take great offense when someone implies that the institution I know was a two-bit crony place, when it was not. Even worse they base it on a severely misguided fact that they would know is false if they spent more than five minutes studying the school web page.

Note II: Can't help but think a few people at ESPN are happy to see Tim go down. He was instrumental in getting the Big East to reject the first deal that ESPN offered them. And no, that $10 million deal was garbage. Every single school in the Big East ended up with better prospects than that deal except for Cinci/USF/UConn.

Note III: Well, I think he might keep his job. The people who sponsored the stadium are threatening to pull out of the deal if he's fired. Eric Legrand voiced support for Tim.

Draxal

The more I think about it, the more I think Tim Pernetti is getting a raw deal here. Yes, it's an unpopular opinion, and not one I'm going to voice in the lynching thread, but hear me out:

1. He didn't fire Rice because the university's inside counsel and outside counsel told him that if he fired Riced the school would be on the hook for his salary. Yes, I don't know what legal was thinking, since it's obvious Rice could be fired with cause. However if I was in Pernetti's position, I would consider my hands tied at that point.

He is getting a raw deal, he's the sacrificial goat.

In all honesty, I'm not sure Rice could have been fired with cause, state employees in NJ get a lot of protection.

And yeah the high point solutions thing is a pretty huge thing, brb buying a hps shirt.

And there's no lynching thread on gaf, the thread natural made is actually incredibly benign.

The most startling thing about that ot thread is Majerus pooped in a towel.

Straw poll here:

Does anybody besides me and Sirpopopopop actually care what happened?

I have a feelign it's going to be nobody gives a shit, so I wonder why ESPN is carrying this hard on.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
He is getting a raw deal, he's the sacrificial goat.

In all honesty, I'm not sure Rice could have been fired with cause, state employees in NJ get a lot of protection.

And yeah the high point solutions thing is a pretty huge thing, brb buying a hps shirt.

And there's no lynching thread on gaf, the thread natural made is actually incredibly benign.

The most startling thing about that ot thread is Majerus pooped in a towel.

Straw poll here:

Does anybody besides me and Sirpopopopop actually care what happened?

I have a feelign it's going to be nobody gives a shit, so I wonder why ESPN is carrying this hard on.

I don't care, but I have my pitchfork and torch in hand ready to march to New Jersey if the entire Rutgers administration isn't fired IMMEDIATELY. Including the professors, secretaries, and cleaning/maintenance personnel. Clean sweep.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Ranking the Pac-12 coaches

David Shaw, Stanford
Mike Riley, Oregon State
Rich Rodriguez, Arizona
Todd Graham, Arizona State
Mike Leach, Washington State
Mike MacIntyre, Colorado
Steve Sarkisian, Washington
Jim Mora, UCLA
Kyle Whittingham, Utah
Sonny Dykes, California
Lane Kiffin, USC
Mark Helfrich, Oregon

Oh Kiffykins.

I don't care, but I have my pitchfork and torch in hand ready to march to New Jersey if the entire Rutgers administration isn't fired IMMEDIATELY. Including the professors, secretaries, and cleaning/maintenance personnel. Clean sweep.

What about fans? :)

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

Yet, the President seems to be staying on.

Unbelievable.

Un-fucking-believable.

Tim Pernetti will sue the school, and he's got better odds than Murdoch of winning.

Draxal

Yet, the President seems to be staying on.

Unbelievable.

Un-fucking-believable.

Tim Pernetti will sue the school, and he's got better odds than Murdoch of winning.

Ya, I'm done, I can't support this farce.

edit. This is also a practical reason, Tim Pernetti is a monster fund raiser, if he gets fired every fucking donor will be pissed off (aka HPS threatening to remove the name off the stadium), if he's gone, there's literally nothing right going for Rutgers.

Ya, I'm done, I can't support this farce.

edit. This is also a practical reason, Tim Pernetti is a monster fund raiser, if he gets fired every fucking donor will be pissed off (aka HPS threatening to remove the name off the stadium), if he's gone, there's literally nothing right going for Rutgers.

You got into the Big 10 with suspect athletics. I'd say that's a very big positive....

Draxal

You got into the Big 10 with suspect athletics. I'd say that's a very big positive....

Suspect athletics that were growing to a young, hungry proud alum AD that reached out to its fanbase.

Funding is going to dry to a nil, Sirpopopopop isn't wrong. A lot of people were pissed off at what happened to our previous AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom