• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah, Big wanted to go east. Mizzou isn't money, Rutgers is even though it's only because of the million of rich BiG alums in NJ/NYC.

Yeah, RU got really lucky due to their location. TV said that NJ/NY market could be claimed for subscribers whether or not people actually watch. Bottom line was those fees could still be collected which made RU a treasure trove on that front.

Draxal

Yeah, RU got really lucky due to their location. TV said that NJ/NY market could be claimed for subscribers whether or not people actually watch. Bottom line was those fees could still be collected which made RU a treasure trove on that front.

Location fucked us too btw, Rutgers is in the middle of a civil war with the New Brunswick campuses and Newark campuses, shit like this only happens in NJ.

Barchi's going to be gone next, there's no way he's going to survive all the angry alumni at him.

edit.

I actually think ESPN's going to get alot of heat from this. Pernetti had alot of friends in powerful places, he was a very high exec in CBS sports before he took this position (it was a downgrade for him).

Pernetti out according to ESPN.

What a clustercuss.

State officials had apparently have more influence on the departure then the BOG. According to Tara Sullivan of the Bergen Record.

It's funny this is going to blow up in Christie and Sweeney's face. Rutgers has 400k alumni, and alot of them are pretty influential.

The politicians are safe. Only entity which will be hurt is Rutgers. As for the Rivals board, while it's embarrassing this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edit: Barchi might scrape by. Doubt Rutgers really cares about the desires of its alums. The alums overwhelmingly voted to keep TP on the Targum straw poll

The politicians are safe. Only entity which will be hurt is Rutgers. As for the Rivals board, while it's embarrassing this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

There's actually some rationality there too.

And Draxal, no I am not familiar with the dynamics of NJ politics and how they relate to RU - seems weird that it isn't favorable considering you're the flagship, though.

But I do know schools have BS to deal with regarding support in the state. Bills pushed through to separate schools more and favor funding, officials doing as much as possible to stifle progress of other universities - UCF had to fight like hell to get their medical school approved after objections from UF/FSU and others.

We've had to stop projects even though we didn't need state funding and were able to demonstrate a net positive on the economy after objections from people that have other interests in mind. Trust me, I know it is frustrating at least on some level.

Draxal

There's actually some rationality there too.

And Draxal, no I am not familiar with the dynamics of NJ politics and how they relate to RU - seems weird that it isn't favorable considering you're the flagship, though.

But I do know schools have BS to deal with regarding support in the state. Bills pushed through to separate schools more and favor funding, officials doing as much as possible to stifle progress of other universities - UCF had to fight like hell to get their medical school approved after objections from UF/FSU and others.

We've had to stop projects even though we didn't need state funding and were able to demonstrate a net positive on the economy after objections from people that have other interests in mind. Trust me, I know it is frustrating at least on some level.

There is alot of political patronage in NJ, I think Sirpopopopopop could write a huge article about what Norcross/Sweeney did with the campus in Rutgers-Camden (they basically wanted it to make their own political fiefdom by merging it with Rowan University). NJ is pretty much a blue state, but the southern democratic party is pretty much the Sopranos, and Christie made a deal with them.

edited.

Also Northeastern schools are different due to how popular private colleges are here (hi Ivies), flagships don't get near the respect up here(also in NY/Mass/Conn) that they down in the south/midwest.

Edit: Barchi might scrape by. Doubt Rutgers really cares about the desires of its alums. The alums overwhelmingly voted to keep TP on the Targum straw poll

Barchi's gone, can't have the alumni(the powerful ones who donate money ... let's be honest) and faculty against him albeit for different reasons.

I honestly think this hurts Christie, because NJ is very much a blue state, and you can't piss off your powerbase (donors who donate to universities are ususally red). He has to do something to appease them. Especially with foxnews going apeshit after him.

NEW edit.

Three members of the BOG signed off on Rice's initial punishment. This is going to get huge.

Patryn

Lurker here: Is there any chance that this scandal can scuttle the Rutgers to B1G deal? I know B1G wants that NY/NJ television market, but would they be willing to back out of the deal in order to avoid admitting a school that's getting over a major* scandal, especially considering the whole Penn State thing?

Draxal

Lurker here: Is there any chance that this scandal can scuttle the Rutgers to B1G deal? I know B1G wants that NY/NJ television market, but would they be willing to back out of the deal in order to avoid admitting a school that's getting over a major* scandal, especially considering the whole Penn State thing?

There is a chance, it's very very miniscule though.

I couldn't imagine something like that happening. In the scheme of things, this isn't a big thing at all.

I'm switching my "official" affiliation to Rutgers. It's not safe for an Auburn fan in these parts and I'd rather back a university that's a feel good story.

mcgruber

He is getting a raw deal, he's the sacrificial goat.

Straw poll here:

Does anybody besides me and Sirpopopopop actually care what happened?

I have a feelign it's going to be nobody gives a shit, so I wonder why ESPN is carrying this hard on.
I think everyone cares for a little off season excitement and scandal.

More importantly, how many people didn't know where Rutgers was located?

I think there is a 10-20% chance that it could happen. The anti-athletic contingent at Rutgers is working with ESPN on this one.

Oh and don't even start anything mcgruber. I'm being nice right now, but I have no problems getting banned if you're going to indulge in gloating.

Draxal

Yeah, I know that. It's why I added the asterix to "major".

Which has me so utterly pissed off. His official letter of resignation.

Dear Dr. Barchi:

I write in confirmation of our conversation earlier today during which we agreed that it was in the best interests of Rutgers University that I step down from my position as Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. I do so reluctantly because I always have and always will love Rutgers. I want to thank the people who have supported me throughout my years as a student-athlete and Athletic Director and help them understand my reasoning in this situation.

My continued tenure as Athletic Director is no longer sustainable for the University which I attended and where a piece of me will always remain. In connection with the incidents involving former basketball Coach Mike Rice, as was the case with all other matters which I handled on behalf of the University, I always tried my best to do what is right. I have spent a great deal of time reflecting on the events which led to today. As you know, my first instincts when I saw the videotape of Coach Rice's behavior was to fire him immediately. However, Rutgers decided to follow a process involving university lawyers, human resources professionals, and outside counsel. Following review of the independent investigative report, the consensus was that university policy would not justify dismissal. I have admitted my role in, and regret for, that decision, and wish that I had the opportunity to go back and override it for the sake of everyone involved.

I trust that my tenure at Rutgers will not be judged by this one incident. I am proud of my efforts to lead Rutgers into the Big Ten, and of all of the accomplishments of our student-athletes in the classroom and on the field of play. I want to thank our great fans, the hardest working staff in collegiate athletics, and every one of our fine student-athletes. It has been my great pleasure to serve my alma mater.

Sincerely,

Tim Pernetti

Class of 1993

NJ state employee rights fucked Rutgers.

I think there is a 10-20% chance that it could happen. The anti-athletic contingent at Rutgers is working with ESPN on this one.

Oh and don't even start anything mcgruber. I'm being nice right now, but I have no problems getting banned if you're going to indulge in gloating.

How about you and me get some jobs at ESPN, molest some admins, and get slightly reprimanded.

I'd say 1%-2%. B1G isn't taking back an invite over this. It would be RU voluntarily moving on. And even given this situation, they're not THAT stupid.

Edit: How are your employment laws such that abusing players like that isn't a cut and dry "get the fuck out of here" action? Sirpopopo said General Counsel got the boot too, though? I'm just confused and mindfucked right about now.

Draxal

I'd say 1%-2%. B1G isn't taking back an invite over this. It would be RU voluntarily moving on. And even given this situation, they're not THAT stupid.

You don't understand Rutgers, some of the faculty think athletics is holding us back from being an Ivy league institute.

Draxal - the key portion of the letter is this:

Tim Pernetti said:
. In connection with the incidents involving former basketball Coach Mike Rice, as was the case with all other matters which I handled on behalf of the University, I always tried my best to do what is right. I have spent a great deal of time reflecting on the events which led to today. As you know, my first instincts when I saw the videotape of Coach Rice's behavior was to fire him immediately. However, Rutgers decided to follow a process involving university lawyers, human resources professionals, and outside counsel. Following review of the independent investigative report, the consensus was that university policy would not justify dismissal.

Glad to see he's not going to take it on the chin.

Edit: Yeah, Goldeneye. It's not just faculty. It's the state too. They don't hold their own lack of funding culpable. They are completely delusional in what they think Rutgers should be.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I doubt it. Expansion thinking is more long term than that, especially since the real money sport in football is thus far unaffected (AFAIK, at least, I haven't followed too closely).

So the AD is saying that he wanted to fire the coach, the university had the investigation, said he couldn't fire the coach, then the media storm happens, they fire the coach, then fire the AD for not firing the coach? This will turn out well.

Draxal - the key portion of the letter is this:

Glad to see he's not going to take it on the chin.

Edit: Yeah, Goldeneye. It's not just faculty. It's the state too. They don't hold their own lack of funding culpable. They are completely delusional in what they think Rutgers should be.

Hm, I see. So the AD wanted to fire him. He was advised by legal and others not to. Legal gets fired anyway over it.... I'm sure Pernetti if he wanted to could go after RU. The situation just makes no sense. How in the world could legal and BoT members come to that conclusion after seeing the video.

Draxal

Edit: How are your employment laws such that abusing players like that isn't a cut and dry "get the fuck out of here" action? Sirpopopo said General Counsel got the boot too, though? I'm just confused and mindfucked right about now.

It's a blue state, look at the problems NYC had with getting rid of teachers that have been accused of sexual abuse since they're city employees.

Oh man Pernetti fucked Barchi, he submitted the letter at just the right time. They had to delay the press conference beause of it.

Wont happen there would be so many lawsuits involved, unless there was an out clause, would be hilarious if they did though.

Draxal

Just an update.

There was a press conference scheduled at 1:00 PM, to announce Tim Pernetti's firing.

He premptively released a letter at 12:45 ish, causing the firing annoucnment to be delayed.

Draxal

Who do you think comes in to replace Pernetti?

Sandusky

In all seriousness, it's going to be some christie/sweeney hack that is going to take the job.

It's all politics. (Our previous AD was hired because Governor Whitman wanted him out of the Meadowlands, he got fired for politics as well).

Laughing at the fact that the ESPN cameraman was hit with a water balloon.

Cue cries of Penn State.

Rutgers got caught up in ESPN's desire to have a Penn State scandal of their own, and an academic faculty more than ready to fan the flames.

It's amazing how the UNC situation didn't really blow up like this. I mean, that challenged the very integrity of the academic nature of the school. Weird how these things work.

RU is definitely important - it's just one of those things that would have blown over in a day or two if handled correctly the first time.

Draxal

It's amazing how the UNC situation didn't really blow up like this. I mean, that challenged the very integrity of the academic nature of the school. Weird how these things work.

RU is definitely important - it's just one of those things that would have blown over in a day or two if handled correctly the first time.

Rutgers went from an ESPN school to a Fox school. Pernetti was a key person in vetoing the initial ESPN contract which at the time was a joke.

Put 2 and 2 together and I'm never watching an ESPN show again.

Rutgers went from an ESPN school to a Fox school. Pernetti was a key person in vetoing the initial ESPN contract which at the time was a joke.

Put 2 and 2 together and I'm never watching an ESPN show again.

True forgot about that. Although I think with more time and open negotiations that BE configuration would have gotten a lot more - but that's a different discussion. And obviously you don't wait once you have a Big 10 invite.

I've managed to avoid SportsCenter at the very least for a few months now. Don't actually remember the last time I watched ESPN in general. Although that will unfortunately end since AAC is back on ESPN for sports. :(

They're vindictive fuckers. Helped to blow up a conference and now helping to wreak havoc on your school.

Draxal

True forgot about that. Although I think with more time and open negotiations that BE configuration would have gotten a lot more - but that's a different discussion. And obviously you don't wait once you have a Big 10 invite.

I've managed to avoid SportsCenter at the very least for a few months now. Don't actually remember the last time I watched ESPN in general. Although that will unfortunately end since AAC is back on ESPN for sports. :(

They're vindictive fuckers. Helped to blow up a conference and now helping to wreak havoc on your school.

Our spineless school did this to ourselves, ESPN was just a blunt tool. I'm just saying why they aren't going after Auburn and UNC.

No way Barchi is going to survive this, I actually think Izzo (president of the BOG is gone as well), they threw Pernetti under the bus, but he fucked them with the resignation letter.

Barchi looked very very bad in the press conference.

Basically he admitted to not watching the video when Pernetti told him the contents and Pernetti didn't try to hide the comments from him.

TheNatural

My Member!
Just heard clips on the radio. The Rutgers President admitted he refused to watch the video when his AD came to him with it last year. What a fucking pussy. He knew then if he looked he wouldn't have had plausible deniability to just pawn it all off on someone else. He didn't want the responsibility. What a douchebag.

Draxal

Christie forced this on Rutgers. This is going to turn out to be very bad for Christie, as he got an innocent man fired, and just pissed off an entire alumni base.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
wait, he said he refused to watch it when the AD Brought it to him? Then later fires the AD? Really does sound like the AD was asking for permission to fire him and was denied...

Worst President Ever. Or at least since William Henry Harrison.

Draxal

I love you Aditi.

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala 1m Is that same Pres Barchi who wasn't curious enough to watch video in Dec? RT @GovChristie I commend Pres Barchi for his decisive leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom