• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Wait, really? What did Christie do?

Barchi was his handpicked man to integrate the UDMNJ (the New Jersey Medical/Dentristry school) into Rutgers.

Barchi pretty much threw Pernetti under the bus (everybody and their mother who watched the press conference knew that).

Nobody in their right mind can say Barchi did a good job at the press conference.

Yet we have a tweet from Christie supporting Barchi (the one that Aditi retweeted). Barchi is getting alot of heat in the press.

Here's the full tweet.

Governor Christie ‏@GovChristie 1h I commend Pres. Barchi for his decisive leadership in coming to an agreement w/ Mr. Pernetti to have @RUathletics come under new leadershipExpand Collapse

Karakand

Rutgers went from an ESPN school to a Fox school. Pernetti was a key person in vetoing the initial ESPN contract which at the time was a joke.

Put 2 and 2 together and I'm never watching an ESPN show again.

I'm not quoting all the ESPN conspiracy theories, but I made a point of listening to Fox Sports talk radio today instead of ESPN talk radio and I must say how surprised I was to hear them also talking about how inappropriately Pernetti handled the situation!

I'm glad we have principled media like the Murdoch empire where the news is not shaped by editorial diktat to provide a fair and balanced account of ESPN's BS.

Draxal

I'm not quoting all the ESPN conspiracy theories, but I made a point of listening to Fox Sports talk radio today instead of ESPN talk radio and I must say how surprised I was to hear them also talking about how inappropriately Pernetti handled the situation!

I'm glad we have principled media like the Murdoch empire where the news is not shaped by editorial diktat to provide a fair and balanced account of ESPN's BS.

Stop.

No one claimed that Rutgers didn't fuck up (although I but alot of blame on the President)

The ESPN conspiracy is how they've been harping on this matter nonstop, while theres other serious issues here that they have blatantly ignored UNC/Auburn.

http://www.app.com/assets/pdf/B320344045.PDF?sf11227930=1

Read that.

If the independent counsel report is to be believed, then Murdoch and his lawyers were lying about the timetables involved.

Also, I notice Murdoch didn't mention skipping a June 29th meeting in his complaint. That's a pretty big thing to omit.

Then again, maybe the counsel's facts are wrong.

Edit: I would like to see folks looking to call for TP's head explain away this bit.

"During the November 26, 2012 meeting, AD Pernetti asked EM directly why he did
not come to AD Pernetti if he felt that he or others had been improperly treated by Coach
Rice. EM did not answer. Instead, his attorney interrupted, “because he was afraid for his
job.” Stated differently, rather than act as a “whistleblower”, it appears that EM had made
a deliberate decision not to bring his complaints to Rutgers administrators outside the
basketball program"

(taken from Draxal's link)

Can't be a whistleblower if you don't blow the whistle!

Tamanon

Banned
Stop.

No one claimed that Rutgers didn't fuck up (although I but alot of blame on the President)

The ESPN conspiracy is how they've been harping on this matter nonstop, while theres other serious issues here that they have blatantly ignored UNC/Auburn.

Read that.

Video existing would be the easier explanation, makes for coverage where you don't have to work on sourcing as much.

Draxal

If the independent counsel report is to be believed, then Murdoch and his lawyers were lying about the timetables involved.

Also, I notice Murdoch didn't mention skipping a June 29th meeting in his complaint. That's a pretty big thing to omit.

Then again, maybe the counsel's facts are wrong.

Edit: I would like to see folks looking to call for TP's head explain away this bit.

"During the November 26, 2012 meeting, AD Pernetti asked EM directly why he did
not come to AD Pernetti if he felt that he or others had been improperly treated by Coach
Rice. EM did not answer. Instead, his attorney interrupted, “because he was afraid for his
job.” Stated differently, rather than act as a “whistleblower”, it appears that EM had made
a deliberate decision not to bring his complaints to Rutgers administrators outside the
basketball program"

(taken from Draxal's link)

Can't be a whistleblower if you don't blow the whistle!

Ya, Murdoch comes off as an opportunist scumbag, then somebody who actually cared about the players.

Karakand

Stop.

Read that.

Please stop me if this sounds too tinfoil hat, but maybe the viewing public (inappropriately perhaps) is less interested in forged grades and paying players than they are in a coach engaging in violent and homophobic behavior with young people in his charge.

My memory isn't the greatest, but I remember the Duke lacrosse rape accusation getting a ton of play and Duke is a darling of ESPN's (from a money perspective) + it was a problematic rape accusation on top of that.

Hmm... interesting they did recommend that Mike Rice could be terminated based on grounds of harassment. They exonerated him on hostile work environment claims.

Edit: wait, the report never said terminate. It said violations were committed, but they never used the word terminate.

Draxal

Please stop me if this sounds too tinfoil hat, but maybe the viewing public (inappropriately perhaps) is less interested in forged grades and paying players than they are in a coach engaging in violent and homophobic behavior with young people in his charge.

My memory isn't the greatest, but I remember the Duke lacrosse rape accusation getting a ton of play and Duke is a darling of ESPN's (from a money perspective) + it was a problematic rape accusation on top of that.

Actually, the bigger thing is the video evidence, and Duke LaCrosse was mainly a Selena Roberts (OH HI AUBURN) from Cnnsi at that time.

I actually don't believe in the conspiracy, but I do belive my university has been railroaded in an attempt to fire all people responsbile without actually trying to find the truth of the matter.

Espn has made all the factual errors mentioned by Sirpopopopopop earlier, WHILE CONVENINETLY CANCELING ALL BOBBY KNIGHT RADIO APPEARANCES, and employing known sexual harrassers as Mike Tirico.

Plus my dislike of ESPN for their midday show, where they tell their midday hosts to make up stupidly offensive shit (Skip Bayless and Steven Smith) but if they go too far they fuck them (HI Rob Parker).

dschalter

Are you saying Rutgers alumni do not vote?

Clearly... or maybe simply that they don't vote as bloc based on what's going on at Rutgers. There are perhaps a small group of people who act in a such a fashion (and those people are good at being loud), but they represent a trivial fraction of the entire alumni population.

Draxal

Clearly... or maybe simply that they don't vote as bloc based on what's going on at Rutgers. There are perhaps a small group of people who act in a such a fashion (and those people are good at being loud), but they represent a trivial fraction of the entire alumni population.

This isn't going away, Barchi really fucked up, and everybody in the media is making fun of him for it.

He still has the faculty mad at him, they were mad at him before this incident even happened. I just don't see this ending well, unless Christie starts distancing away from Barchi.

The faculty got the previous president fired, and he didn't bungle anything to this extreme.

Is this hyperbole from me because I'm furious on how Pernetti was thrown under the bus?

Yes that's 100% true.

Being real, Barchi has to do a hell of a job selling this to our donors, I don't see how he can placate the faculty.

No effect politically.

This will have an effect on donations. And no, there is no alum of Rutgers who is going to donate more to the school as a result of this action. The alums who were "outraged" by Rice & Pernetti were the academic wonks who used their outrage as an excuse to distance themselves from their alma mater in the first place.

They are the same bitter folks who could never get over the fact that Columbia rejected them. They'll say they were "pleased" by this action but that the school needs to take things further. Even if the school ever fully went to their side, they still wouldn't donate.

cdyhybrid

Alumni/fans of the program do not function as a hive mind? I'm not sure I believe you. I mean, look at Auburn.

Draxal

Alumni/fans of the program do not function as a hive mind? I'm not sure I believe you. I mean, look at Auburn.

No man loathes his alma mater more then a Rutgers man.

I lied.

A Suny man does.

edit.

Sirpopopopopoppopop:

I gotta give Murdoch credit he has balls the size of grapefruits, as he's opening a restaruant on Route 23. And as much as a raving lunatic I appear to be right now, we have much much worse than me on rivals.

Maddness

More like a cult.

Show me one shred of evidence that we are a cult.

aubiebishop.jpg

damn.

Not all of us are like that though, The family stuff makes me feel uneasy a lot. Especially when I go to games. And I graduated from there.

I feel like A&M has the cult hat though, man...

I'm sure you guys have read The Facts!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Those "facts" are an amazing attempt to spin the truth, and Jacobs should be commended for his efforts there. I'm on a tablet so I'm not going to try to respond to all of the facts he states, but a few jumped out to me as being empty.

Since our drug testing policy was amended to include synthetic marijuana as a banned substance, there have been three positive tests for the drug out of more than 2,500 drug tests administered. Those three individuals are no longer on Auburn Athletics rosters.
Strongly implies that the three individuals were removed from Auburn Athletics rosters as a result of the positive test, but does not provided a reason for their dismissal. Did they graduate? Were they removed as punishment?

Phone records show that more than 50 phone calls were made to the parents of two former student-athletes who were interviewed by ESPN.
Great. What was discussed over these phone calls? What was the time frame for these phone calls? Are they 50 calls since the kids started at Auburn? Since they were being recruited? Or between the BCS MNC game and the date of the robbery? Strongly suggests that these were calls to discuss the student's abuse of synthetic weed, but doesn't actually give any details.

The father of one of the student-athletes who was apparently interviewed by ESPN was sent a letter informing him that his son had failed a drug test for regular marijuana two months before the robbery.
We know that, between Kitchens and Mosely, the two kids interviewed for the story, there were at least 8 faild drug tests (seven for Moseloy plus at least one for Kitchens). And Auburn sent home one letter? Congratulations.

What a sloppy bunch of "facts." I'm not even fired up over any of this, because ESPN's entire story was hogwash. Who cares if Auburn football players tested possitive for a substance that wasn't banned in the first place. Big fucking deal. A six month investigation and that's all they got? Please.

Maddness

Those "facts" are an amazing attempt to spin the truth, and Jacobs should be commended for his efforts there. I'm on a tablet so I'm not going to try to respond to all of the facts he states, but a few jumped out to me as being empty.

Strongly implies that the three individuals were removed from Auburn Athletics rosters as a result of the positive test, but does not provided a reason for their dismissal. Did they graduate? Were they removed as punishment?

Great. What was discussed over these phone calls? What was the time frame for these phone calls? Are they 50 calls since the kids started at Auburn? Since they were being recruited? Or between the BCS MNC game and the date of the robbery? Strongly suggests that these were calls to discuss the student's abuse of synthetic weed, but doesn't actually give any details.

We know that, between Kitchens and Mosely, the two kids interviewed for the story, there were at least 8 faild drug tests (seven for Moseloy plus at least one for Kitchens). And Auburn sent home one letter? Congratulations.

What a sloppy bunch of "facts." I'm not even fired up over any of this, because ESPN's entire story was hogwash. Who cares if Auburn football players tested possitive for a substance that wasn't banned in the first place. Big fucking deal. A six month investigation and that's all they got? Please.

I agree with you on all points. I think the worst part is, we have more to worry about than these silly baseless accusations anyway. Did everyone suddenly forget our shit season last year? I think we've got bigger problems that need addressing when football is concerned.

I sacrifice a chicken every night to the great Aubie that they'll fucking fire Jay Jacobs. I hate that piece of shit and he's killing our Athletic department.

I think there is an Ed Rush or Gregg Williams-style bounty on Auburn's head that reporters are all fighting for. How else can you explain the stupidity of these "reporters" basing entire stories on the testimony of these three accused (and one convicted) felons.

I think there is an Ed Rush or Gregg Williams-style bounty on Auburn's head that reporters are all fighting for. How else can you explain the stupidity of these "reporters" basing entire stories on the testimony of these three accused (and one convicted) felons.

Go read everything that happened with us, whole case was built off a convicted felon.

andycapps

Every sports outlet in the country, including ESPN, is reporting this. Please tell me about groupthink, oh Auburn fan.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
As an example of how much excitement there is over our new staff and the upcoming season, we had a scrimmage today in Midland, TX that drew about 7,300 people. Last season, the actual Spring game in Lubbock only drew about 3,000.

As an example of how much excitement there is over our new staff and the upcoming season, we had a scrimmage today in Midland, TX that drew about 7,300 people. Last season, the actual Spring game in Lubbock only drew about 3,000.

...or because for the first time all year, there was something to do in Midland, TX

Slo

Holy crap, watching the Nebraska Cornhuskers Red/White spring game and they just brought a 7 year old kid with cancer onto the field on 4th and 1 and let him take it 70 yards to the house in front of a full stadium. Awesome.

Draxal

The only thing Rutgers' athletics are holding them back from being is an athletic institution.

In all honesty lack of funding kills ours our athletic department. Howland's interested in the basketball job, but there is no chance in hell they can afford him.

Chris Carlin ‏@ChrisCarlinSNY

I remember right after the election, @GovChristie was outside the #RFootball locker room after a game. I heard him say to @Tim_Pernetti, 'Anything I can ever do, I'm here for you, Tim.' Those words appear pretty empty from a "no-nonsense" guy.

They can only swim around in their Scrooge McDuck style piles of money for so long before they have to find something else to do.

I get Midland and Odessa confused, but one of those towns has already seen their wells dry up. I think it's Odessa that is run-down now, and Midland will be that way once they run out of the non-renewable fossil fuels. Take note Dubai

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I get Midland and Odessa confused, but one of those towns has already seen their wells dry up. I think it's Odessa that is run-down now, and Midland will be that way once they run out of the non-renewable fossil fuels. Take note Dubai

Midland is definitely running out of water but they've made some deals recently that should help spell the problem. Just have to keep pumping it in from somewhere else.

They are going through some absolutely ridiculous growth right now. Housing prices are incredible. It's been announced that there is going to be a 59 story office building going up soon while the previous tallest building was only 24 or 27 or something like that.

Better hope that energy boom out there lasts a while. As of now, though, if you know anybody that wants a well paying job and isn't afraid of manual labor they won't be out of work for longer than half a day in Midland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom