• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

venne

Holy crap, watching the Nebraska Cornhuskers Red/White spring game and they just brought a 7 year old kid with cancer onto the field on 4th and 1 and let him take it 70 yards to the house in front of a full stadium. Awesome.

Dat Nebraska run defense.

Draxal

I agree with this comment.

Academics & athletics have no relation. The donors who donate to athletics usually ignore academics & vice-versa.

Well there is a relationship, it's just extremely negative, even here more than more schools.

Sirpopopop, I think Barchi's gone too.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/rutgers_president_robert_barch_1.html

He didn't even read the outside council report (I don't have a law degree but my layman reading of the report is yeah, you could fire him with cause but he can sue and he'd probably win).

You can't throw the outside council report under the bus if you don't even bother to read it.

edit. From Jerry Carino who easily did the best job of reporting on this (well in a biased Rutgers fans pov).

Please note that Gov. Christie’s moral outrage came to a screeching halt just short of political ally Barchi, whose ouster would have threatened the precious Rutgers-UMDNJ merger. Christie likes to crusade as the anti-politician but he handled the Rice scandal like the quintessential political insider.

ag-my001

I think there's going to be more heat on Barchi, I don't think anybody at Rutgers is happy right now. I don't think story is over yet, especially since there's alot of stuff left to dig.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got a call saying "Get the merger done, then immediately resign to spend time with your family."

Draxal

Wouldn't be surprised if he got a call saying "Get the merger done, then immediately resign to spend time with your family."

Yeah he's only here for the merger, but he's an old rich guy who clearly doesn't give a fuck (look at what he said that got the Newark faculty pissed off at him, it was a tactless rich white guy I don't give a fuck comment). I'm suprised he didn't just resign because he clearly doesn't need the job and doesn't care about this bullshit.

andycapps

UGA had 43k people at their spring game yesterday. Or about 5k more than the b1G championship game. Not bad for a spring game with the Braves playing in Atlanta that night.

Not quite Bama numbers but the game is drawing more every year. Helps that it wasn't during the Masters this year.

Nice Draxal.

Now, on another note, can we get back to talking about Texas Tech and Tommy Tuberville!

I long for those days at this time.

Draxal

Nice Draxal.

Now, on another note, can we get back to talking about Texas Tech and Tommy Tuberville!

I still don't think is over.

You and I know where Tim Pernetti came from. (CBS ... he was pretty much the executive who decided the games that CBS was going to show each saturday).

CBS wants him back, CBS owns WFAN, WFAN were already doing hit jobs on ESPN already (ESPN guys can't show up on Sportspope's show).

I hope francesa goes berserk.

Nice Draxal.

If Murdoch truly was fired for being a whistle blower, Rutgers is in deep shit. I'm sure Rutgers is trying to find other reasons as to why he was fired, but Murdoch has a good case.

also, in case it hasn't been posted.
NMA

Draxal

If Murdoch truly was fired for being a whistle blower, Rutgers is in deep shit. I'm sure Rutgers is trying to find other reasons as to why he was fired, but Murdoch has a good case.

also, in case it hasn't been posted.
NMA

He wasn't fired, he was on one year contracts and went AWOL after he didn't attend a camp and assumed he got fired, and now he's being investigated by the FBI for extortion charges.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I have a date with an Aggie.

I'm not sure how this will end up.

I have a date with an Aggie.

I'm not sure how this will end up.

Confession: I went to my senior prom with an aggy. To my defense, I didn't know at the time she was going to be an aggy. Her dad went to Texas Tech so I thought she was neutral.

As what you should expect? I don't know, ask her if they actually have chili at chili fest. That should break the ice.

cashman

Banned
Confession: I went to my senior prom with an aggy. To my defense, I didn't know at the time she was going to be an aggy. Her dad went to Texas Tech so I thought she was neutral.

As what you should expect? I don't know, ask her if they actually have chili at chili fest. That should break the ice.

"Oh that's not an actual chili dog!"

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Actually, the bigger thing is the video evidence, and Duke LaCrosse was mainly a Selena Roberts (OH HI AUBURN) from Cnnsi at that time.

Huh? Nobody blew the whistle on the Duke Lacrosse case, there was an actual police investigation with charges filed and due to the nature of race and privilege it was covered nationwide by everyone. Not seeing a lot of parallels between it and either the Rutgers issue or Auburn.

Draxal

Huh? Nobody blew the whistle on the Duke Lacrosse case, there was an actual police investigation with charges filed and due to the nature of race and privilege it was covered nationwide by everyone. Not seeing a lot of parallels between it and either the Rutgers issue or Auburn.

Err, what I meant was that Duke players were demonized by the press and a decent amount of your faculty.

Selena Roberts was the most notorious one.

She claimed that the players' unwillingness to confess to or snitch about a rape (that did not happen) was the equivalent of drug dealers and gang members promoting antisnitching campaigns.

And she never apologized for it.

Did you faculty ever own up to being wrong about that case?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hey, that McNeil guy, the AU one who talked, took a plea deal: 15 years, but only has to serve 3, and 3 years probation.

hey, that McNeil guy, the AU one who talked, took a plea deal: 15 years, but only has to serve 3, and 3 years probation.

So the PR campaign failed or was successful? I wasn't following the case closely enough so I don't know what was on the table.

It does sound like he and his lawyer weren't confident enough in his innocence to take this to a jury.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So the PR campaign failed or was successful? I wasn't following the case closely enough so I don't know what was on the table.

It does sound like he and his lawyer weren't confident enough in his innocence to take this to a jury.
Oh, come on. You know better than this.

andycapps

Huh?

There are two sources for the two articles (ESPN and Selena Roberts). Everyone else is just quoting (or taking exception to) those articles.

That's true, I just meant that every major news source is talking about it. ESPN and Selena Roberts are the only ones that have seemingly done any research and actual reporting.

Draxal

Wow, Newark really wants Barchi gone.

RU-Newark thinks it's should be compared to UCLA and UC Berkeley ... really now?

I'm dying now.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Err, what I meant was that Duke players were demonized by the press and a decent amount of your faculty.

Selena Roberts was the most notorious one.

And she never apologized for it.

Did you faculty ever own up to being wrong about that case?

Ok I see your point there. No, nobody who commented, blogged, opined on the Lacrosse case admitted they were wrong. A few nut cases insisted something must have happened anyway, but most just ignored it ever happened. Duke alumni turncoat and all around miserable human being John Feinstein, who famously said that all the players should be expelled, scholarships revoked etc when the case first hit, said university president Richard Broadhead should have resigned for capitulating to pressure in cancelling the season. I hate John Feinstein, ad anytime Duke beats Navy in football, it brings a smile to my face.

Draxal

Talon

Rutgers actually has one of the best English Ph.D. programs in the country - they've landed some powerful faculty in recent years. They punch in the same class as Yale, UChicago, and UCB.

But, yeah, that's pretty much all I know about Rutgers academically.

Draxal

Rutgers actually has one of the best English Ph.D. programs in the country - they've landed some powerful faculty in recent years. They punch in the same class as Yale, UChicago, and UCB.

But, yeah, that's pretty much all I know about Rutgers academically.

This is all from the New Brunswick (the flagship campus). Our philosophy department is top of the line.

http://www.rutgers.edu/about-rutgers/national-rankings

Newark leadsa in "Diversity".

lol yeah right man how many Rhodes Scholars do they even have? Are they trying to be the Harvard of Jersey?

Much to their chagrin, I think that spot is taken up by Princeton.

andycapps

It's like saying Georgia Bulldogs are the Alabama Crimson Tide of Georgia, so close yet so very far at the same exact time.

UGAHouse_original_zps91153f1e.gif

We are no longer talking about Rutgers.

So how about that brewing scandal with the Washington Huskies. Apparently Steve Sarkisian was caught in a shower with a badger?

Hey, if the badger consented, I'm ok with that.

cdyhybrid

We are no longer talking about Rutgers.

So how about that brewing scandal with the Washington Huskies. Apparently Steve Sarkisian was caught in a shower with a badger?

Hey, if the badger consented, I'm ok with that.
Was the Badger Russell Wilson? Because that would be perfectly understandable and even encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom