• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

On the road today I saw a car with both a University of Utah and a Pac-343 sticker. I feel that at last we have our equivalent of the Texas A&M fan in the SEC shirt.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Some things are sacred. Don't mess with my trees.

I'd rather have Saban or the Bear.

toptoiletpaper2-300x300.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Rutgers celebrated it a week too early.

Apparently, getting your AD forced to resign to save the President's ass, is good for recruiting, as Rutgers got 3 recruits to commit since Friday.

Unless it's a coach for the team they're playing on recruits probably don't care at all. Basketball recruiting may take a hit of some sort but I wouldn't expect it to hurt football much, if at all.

Draxal

Unless it's a coach for the team they're playing on recruits probably don't care at all. Basketball recruiting may take a hit of some sort but I wouldn't expect it to hurt football much, if at all.

Rutgers in a weird state, it's going to hurt unless the AD (supposedly Baylor's AD is a target) can salvage the ties with all the athletic boosters (who are pretty much butthurt atm), but in the immediate future it actually helped the basketball team, as one of the transferees says that he might stay with Rice being fired. It also depends on the punishment the basketball team is going to receive from the NCAA.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Rutgers in a weird state, it's going to hurt unless the AD (supposedly Baylor's AD is a target) can salvage the ties with all the athletic boosters (who are pretty much butthurt atm), but in the immediate future it actually helped the basketball team, as one of the transferees says that he might stay with Rice being fired. It also depends on the punishment the basketball team is going to receive from the NCAA.

I just meant that it won't directly hurt football as far as the recruiting aspect. This soon after the fact nothing in particular has happened IMO that would sway a football recruit's decision. Hurting football due to things like fundraising, dropped attendance, or even performance on the field is a more indirect impact than I was referring to.

Draxal

I just meant that it won't directly hurt football as far as the recruiting aspect. This soon after the fact nothing in particular has happened IMO that would sway a football recruit's decision. Hurting football due to things like fundraising, dropped attendance, or even performance on the field is a more indirect impact than I was referring to.

Yeah, my retort post was more to let you know that we might be poaching a rival ad as you are Mr. Red Raider (although I really don't think that's going to happen); your point stands.

TheNatural

My Member!
Looks like Notre Dame-FSU game in the works, and Notre Dame actually bringing something more than dead weight to a conference for a change:

Notre Dame football might be a part-time lover in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but the league still gets a nice pay bump from the Irish's presence.

The ACC expects Notre Dame's full membership in all sports but football and hockey -- with five guaranteed football games per year -- to earn each school more than $1 million per year in media rights revenue, according to two league sources.

This will bump the ACC's per-school annual television revenue into the $18-plus-million range. In 2012, the ACC renegotiated a deal with ESPN for $3.6 billion over 15 years (or $17.1 million per school on average) for a 14-team football league.

Notre Dame's football television deal with NBC is worth a reported $15 million per year and runs until 2015.

When that NBC deal expires, the ACC could try to corral Notre Dame as a full-time football member or increase the part-time commitment to six games. However, Notre Dame appears set on its independence.

Notre Dame traditionally played at least a few ACC games per year, but starting in 2014 all ACC school will get a crack at Irish football every three years. The ACC is working on finalizing that schedule now. A Notre Dame-Florida State matchup in Tallahassee is in the works for 2014, according to a source and first reported by Warchant.com.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ue----more-than-1-million-per-school-annually

tokkun

I also spent a while trying to figure out why the gif-maker had shop'd Bill Synder's head onto the cameraman before realizing it was unaltered.

Sweet we just got a 2014 LB from the state of Florida. 95% of our recruits are from Texas, so it's nice to know we can still steal a gem or two from other fertile grounds.

cashman

Banned
Sweet we just got a 2014 LB from the state of Florida. 95% of our recruits are from Texas, so it's nice to know we can still steal a gem or two from other fertile grounds.

Wow, that's awesome. They also got a commitment from a guy from Louisiana yesterday

Also nobody posted about it a couple weeks ago, but during the spring game Texas got FINALLY got a few 2015 recruits. I was actually getting worried for a few seconds

Wow, that's awesome.

Also nobody posted about it a couple weeks ago, but during the spring game Texas got FINALLY got a few 2015 recruits. I was actually getting worried for a few seconds

This is one of the first years we've accepted sophomore commitments. Then again, this was the first year we had a sophomore day so it would have been disappointing to have no commitments after ~100 sophomores showed up.

cashman

Banned
This is one of the first years we've accepted sophomore commitments. Then again, this was the first year we had a sophomore day so it would have been disappointing to have no commitments after ~100 sophomores showed up.

I think Texas had like 5 2014 commits at the end of march last year.

Wow, that's awesome. They also got a commitment from a guy from Louisiana yesterday

Really got to start working on that 2016 class then.

Nesotenso

I haven't been following it for sometime now ,but is conference realignment still happening ?
Is Maryland leaving the ACC a done thing? Does the big 12 add two more members after that ?

tokkun

I haven't been following it for sometime now ,but is conference realignment still happening ?
Is Maryland leaving the ACC a done thing? Does the big 12 add two more members after that ?

I think the other ACC members are still waiting to see whether Maryland successfully negotiates down its exit penalty in litigation.

andycapps

I think the other ACC members are still waiting to see whether Maryland successfully negotiates down its exit penalty in litigation.

Pretty much. I figure everybody who is wanting to either poach or leave are waiting to see what that "$50 million" really ends up being.

Draxal

Pretty much. I figure everybody who is wanting to either poach or leave are waiting to see what that "$50 million" really ends up being.

It's not going to be 50 million, but I don't think the ACC is that poachable right now. FSU wants out, but the SEC isn't biting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom