• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
They should do that interview topless. In fact, there should be a 30 for 30 just about AJ's tattoos. So glorious.
As weird as it sounds, I think the additions have improved it. It's still awful, but the original center piece was just otherworldly in its utter craptitude. That tattoo was honestly the reason why I was cheering for Phillip Simms to win the QB job over AJ in 2011.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
McCarron-Tats.jpg

Maybe it's just that there's more to look at now, so you can't focus on any individual part of the tattoo to be blown away by its awfulness.

TheNatural

My Member!
McCarron-Tats.jpg

Maybe it's just that there's more to look at now, so you can't focus on any individual part of the tattoo to be blown away by its awfulness.

I can't seem to be focused on anything else besides the girl who seems to have no face, and possibly a beard.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Cyan is getting new strips in 15 minutes!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Stripes. Oops.

http://pac-12.com/live/calbears.aspx

You can listen to the Pac-12 Network do sound checks right now and ask questions like "What is the function of this meter, here?"

ChiTownBuffalo

Ooh, it's not uniforms, it "visual identity projects."

I hope the Buffaloes can get new unis if they win 3 games too.

ChiTownBuffalo

Cal-Football-Golden-Bears.png

I like this.

But they are going to change fonts and all sorts of stuff.

ChiTownBuffalo

That bear better learn how to hold the football. He's just begging to have it stripped from him.

Cal-Football-Gay-Football-Player.jpg

Better?

This livestream crew is horrible.

HORRIBLE.

They must be from UCLA.

ChiTownBuffalo

Cal script to stay same.

New font is straight up Star Trek.

Oh, the new Golden Bear...oh...just...yikes.

Think Memphis Grizzlies with an open mouth.

ChiTownBuffalo

Cal Women's Volleyball keeping booty shorts!

Bold like a bear, sharp like a claw? UGH.

The blue looks purple in this light.

Cal the LSU of the Pac-12?

Everything is coming up Cyan!

ChiTownBuffalo

buff_small.jpg

New Oski.

Actually, I don't like current Oski. I like old Oski.

cdyhybrid

Ahahaha. Yeah, it's totally different from what those other schools do!

I dunno, 3 games is asking a lot.

Edit: oh wait, you guys hired a new coach, I forgot. Actually, I think you guys should be decent. Not like "threat to win the conference" decent, but "threat to win a few games they shouldn't" decent. You guys got the coach I wanted. :/

Stole him right out of your backyard too!

qLRteCu.jpg

Rawr or something.

This press conference has gone on for way too long.

Not terrible. Obviously didn't come from the same team that worked on the new UC system logo.

I was on a cancer benefit cruise in February that had tons of former players and coaches on it. Herbie was trashed nearly every single night, and Eddie George owes me about $150 from his terrible rolls at the craps table.

Herbie was still a really cool guy when I talked him, he's not nearly as "fake" in real life as he is on tv.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I was on a cancer benefit cruise in February that had tons of former players and coaches on it. Herbie was trashed nearly every single night, and Eddie George owes me about $150 from his terrible rolls at the craps table.

Herbie was still a really cool guy when I talked him, he's not nearly as "fake" in real life as he is on tv.

Herbstreit is remarkably more tolerable if you ever catch him on a radio show than he is on TV IMO. He's done some local stuff in Dallas and you'd barely believe it's the same guy.

Herbstreit is remarkably more tolerable if you ever catch him on a radio show than he is on TV IMO. He's done some local stuff in Dallas and you'd barely believe it's the same guy.

He had a 2 hour local show here for year and years. Now he just has a 1 hour show during football season.

Talon

Yeah, I never got the Herbie hate. He's the most tolerable of all ESPN College Football personalities.

Is it because he rah-rahs SEC as the best conference since the '09 title game and turned on tOSU during the Tattoo nonsense?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Our backup QB Thomas Sirk ripped his achilles today and is effectively out for the season. He was recruited as being a read option style QB and had been quite impressive in the spring. If our starting QB gets hurt, we are really fucked.

So Athlon Sports put out their 2013 ranking of the current FBS coaches. I don't know who they're affiliated with but fuck it, it's the offseason and it's a list.

Focusing on the AAC/Big East, I'm a bit concerned. I'm not a GOL apologist at all but his ranking is a bit ridiculous. Putting him 5th out of the Big East and behind Willie Taggert who is completely unproven and June Jones? I'm not sure about that.

He should be 3rd behind Strong and Tubberville. GOL has had his issues, but the resume thing is irrelevant now and the Ereck Plancher death investigation found he wasn't liable for that situation. So weird they're using those situations to knock him down. He put some legs under UCF and since his arrival we have 4 division titles, 2 conference titles, 5 bowl appearances and 2 wins. Even with his inconsistency, that is pretty good. And if UCF has a winning season again this year, all of a sudden it becomes winning seasons 4 out of the last 5 years.

List:
1. Charlie Strong, Louisville
2. Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati
3. Willie Taggart, South Florida
4. June Jones, SMU
5. George O'Leary, UCF
6. Kyle Flood, Rutgers
7. Justin Fuente, Memphis
8. Paul Pasqualoni, UConn
9. Tony Levine, Houston
10. Matt Rhule, Temple

I wonder how many meetings they had about those white strips around the muzzle. Someone had to point out that it looks like the bear is crying, right?

Maybe we are all wrong, maybe the bear has a cold. Those aren't tears, its snot, and he isn't growling, he is about to sneeze.

That's way his right paw is up, he is trying to cover his mouth before he sneezes like a good bear.

Karakand

There is only 1 extinct mascot in college sports? There isn't some new western state university that decided on a dinosaur? Seems like a missed opportunity when some of them had to change from Native Americans.

The California golden bear has been extinct for a while.

Sort of like their football team! *Statler & Waldorf*

The California golden bear has been extinct for a while.

Sort of like their football team! *Statler & Waldorf*

Is there actually any genetic difference between California golden bears and the rest of the brown bears?

Or do we have to somehow introduce brown bears in California with a disposition to bleach their hair?

Karakand

Is there actually any genetic difference between California golden bears and the rest of the brown bears?

Or do we have to somehow introduce brown bears in California with a disposition to bleach their hair?

Well, the genetic variance between all subspecies isn't substantial enough to prevent interbreeding IIRC.

Nothing I've ever seen leads me to believe it's a doubtful classification, but tbh given that it's been extinct for almost 100 years I don't think anyone gaf about falsifying the distinction.

andycapps

I've got no issues with Herbie. Jessie Palmer on the other hand, he's the best personality they have for making observations that are obvious to anyone with eyes.

Well, the genetic variance between all subspecies isn't substantial enough to prevent interbreeding IIRC.

Nothing I've ever seen leads me to believe it's a doubtful classification, but tbh given that it's been extinct for almost 100 years I don't think anyone gaf about falsifying the distinction.

Whenever Karakand says something smart, I need to punch myself in the nuts to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Right now, I'm in a lot of pain.

I imagine there are holy wars between the different camps in the world of taxonomy, particularly between the traditionalists who go by physical traits and the geneticists. Plus, there is extra weight on this subspecies because of its status as a state symbol.

TheNatural

My Member!
So Athlon Sports put out their 2013 ranking of the current FBS coaches. I don't know who they're affiliated with but fuck it, it's the offseason and it's a list.

Focusing on the AAC/Big East, I'm a bit concerned. I'm not a GOL apologist at all but his ranking is a bit ridiculous. Putting him 5th out of the Big East and behind Willie Taggert who is completely unproven and June Jones? I'm not sure about that.

He should be 3rd behind Strong and Tubberville. GOL has had his issues, but the resume thing is irrelevant now and the Ereck Plancher death investigation found he wasn't liable for that situation. So weird they're using those situations to knock him down. He put some legs under UCF and since his arrival we have 4 division titles, 2 conference titles, 5 bowl appearances and 2 wins. Even with his inconsistency, that is pretty good. And if UCF has a winning season again this year, all of a sudden it becomes winning seasons 4 out of the last 5 years.

List:
1. Charlie Strong, Louisville
2. Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati
3. Willie Taggart, South Florida
4. June Jones, SMU
5. George O'Leary, UCF
6. Kyle Flood, Rutgers
7. Justin Fuente, Memphis
8. Paul Pasqualoni, UConn
9. Tony Levine, Houston
10. Matt Rhule, Temple

James Franklin of Vandy is ahead of Charlie Strong on the list. Shows how much this crap is worth.

andycapps

James Franklin of Vandy is ahead of Charlie Strong on the list. Shows how much this crap is worth.

The media love James Franklin. They love to pump up lesser programs like Vandy, A&M, Ole Miss etc in hopes of a Cinderella story.

He has done a good job at Vandy, considering what he's working with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom