• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Speaking of James Franklin, he tweeted this recently:

“No 1 can offer combination of attributes we can,no 1,best of both worlds,if u want 2 settle in life this probably isn’t place 4 u anyway!”

Which was a reaction to a recruit turning them down for somewhere else. Seems like an upstanding thing for a coach to tweet, right?

He was asked further about that:

Host: “Do you believe if a player you are recruiting decides to go elsewhere that they are settling in life by not going to play for Vanderbilt?”

Franklin with a laugh: “You’re a beauty. What I found funny about that whole thing is that’s really been a consistent theme with us about having the ability to come to Vanderbilt and chase all your dreams at the highest level. If you look at the graduation rate, I think they speak for themselves. People can try to create this into a story. The graduation rates speak volumes when you look at what these schools are doing, other schools.”

Franklin sidestepped the question pretty well, so the host asked him again, and this was Franklin’s response:

“You’re real interesting (Franklin laughing). What I’m telling you is Vanderbilt is an unbelievable opportunity and if you look at graduation rates — people should be ashamed of themselves when they look at graduation rates what’s going on in this country. And Vanderbilt can give you an opportunity like very few places can. That’s what I’m saying. You can put words — you can say whatever you want. That’s what I’m saying.”

The subject was brought up again and Franklin got defensive again and asked the host to “relax” before saying that he “didn’t realize I was coming on this show to get jumped and try to create problems.”

What a pussy. Wouldn't man up and defend what he originally said, about players "settling" for another school.

Draxal

NJ media is getting really salty at ESPN right now, for not sourcing them properly on the John Wolf drama, after them doing the same with Pernetti's resignation.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Speaking of James Franklin, he tweeted this recently:

Which was a reaction to a recruit turning them down for somewhere else. Seems like an upstanding thing for a coach to tweet, right?

He was asked further about that:

What a pussy. Wouldn't man up and defend what he originally said, about players "settling" for another school.

I'd heard one of the radio guy's here mention this "tweet" which some are thinking it's about a player that chose Tennessee, is that the Tweet came 1-2 weeks before this decision, and might have just been a generalized statement by Franklin, not a direct message toward this player.

Karakand

I imagine there are holy wars between the different camps in the world of taxonomy, particularly between the traditionalists who go by physical traits and the geneticists. Plus, there is extra weight on this subspecies because of its status as a state symbol.

dogZUGS.jpg

James Franklin of Vandy is ahead of Charlie Strong on the list. Shows how much this crap is worth.

Didn't even notice that because I was focused on the BE. But yeah that's baffling.

The media love James Franklin. They love to pump up lesser programs like Vandy, A&M, Ole Miss etc in hopes of a Cinderella story.

He has done a good job at Vandy, considering what he's working with.

Yeah, but he still has no business being above Strong.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Limedust

LINK

Jones apparently likes his energy aural. When I visited Cincinnati last season before the Bearcats' penultimate Keg of Nails game against Louisville, mobile speakers blared an audio mash of what UC staffers not-so-affectionately termed "The Eight Most Annoying Sounds In The World," a overlapping, shifting mix of...

1. Rocky Top
2. Rocky Top
3. Rocky Top
4. Rocky Top
5. Rocky Top
6. Rocky Top
7. Rocky Top
8. Rocky Top

... screaming babies, road construction, industrial engines, alarm clocks, a chainsaw, multiple sirens, ringing phones and good old crowd noise.

ಠ_ಠ

andycapps

ESECPN
PEENSc

So juvenile. I still laughed.

Really interested to see what it will be and how it will be delivered.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...04/12/SEC.aspx (a bit more info here)

Whatever it is, you can bet that they're going to raise their prices further for cable and satellite providers. Which should be fun. Thanks, I saw the info on Twitter an hour ago and didn't feel like searching. Did taxes last night and that took everything out of me.

What I'm wondering is if this will increase TV revenue for SEC schools or if this just gives them their own stage for lesser tier games.

jagowar

What I'm wondering is if this will increase TV revenue for SEC schools or if this just gives them their own stage for lesser tier games.

There will have to be significant revenue generated..... I don't think slive would take less than what anybody else is getting being the sec is the most powerful conference in college athletics. I expect it to be more lucrative than the big10, pac12 or lhn.

The question I have is will it be modeled more after the pac12 or big10 network. I'm guessing it will be more like the big10 network (national vs regional) for the branding purposes alone just espn will be running it vs fox.

andycapps

There will have to be significant revenue generated..... I don't think slive would take less than what anybody else is getting being the sec is the most powerful conference in college athletics. I expect it to be more lucrative than the big10, pack12 or lhn.

The question I have is will it be modeled more after the pac12 or big10 network. I'm guessing it will be more like the big10 network (national vs regional) for the branding purposes alone just espn will be running it vs fox.

I guarantee you it'll be national as well. I would also think that this would have to generate a great deal of additional money, and I expect it to be huge. This has been in the works for years, and they know what the other conferences have gotten. They also know that their product is much more valuable.

Draxal

I guarantee you it'll be national as well. I would also think that this would have to generate a great deal of additional money, and I expect it to be huge. This has been in the works for years, and they know what the other conferences have gotten. They also know that their product is much more valuable.

Sec Network is going to make a metric shit ton, but BTn's probably going to be more valuable just due to being established earlier. Remember, Cbs/ESPN/ESpn2/ESPN u are going to take their choices of football games.

But yeah, FSU would stab their mother in the face to join the SEC, just due to how much money is going to separate the two conferences.

andycapps

Sec Network is going to make a metric shit ton, but BTn's probably going to be more valuable just due to being established earlier. Remember, Cbs/ESPN/ESpn2/ESPN u are going to take their choices of football games.

But yeah, FSU would stab their mother in the face to join the SEC, just due to how much money is going to separate the two conferences.

I don't know.. We'll have to see. I feel like whatever Slive cooked up with ESPN is going to be tops in the country.

Draxal

I don't know.. We'll have to see. I feel like whatever Slive cooked up with ESPN is going to be tops in the country.

It might be, but it all depends on negotiations with the cable providers etc. There's going to be less resistance in let's say South Carolina then there will be in Maryland and NJ, but its not going to be known for a while.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, think I'm going to just say Peens from now on.

Turning on the Peens to watch athletes play with balls.

though I left out an S, so it's now Peenssc.

So... Pen Secs, or Pens Sec

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
In the South, maybe. I expect the SEC to be somewhat stronger outside its base than the other conferences are outside theirs, but you aren't going to get people clamoring for it in Ohio or California or whatever.

Until basketball season. Everyone wants to see that vaunted Auburn/Vandy tilt.

andycapps

In the South, maybe. I expect the SEC to be somewhat stronger outside its base than the other conferences are outside theirs, but you aren't going to get people clamoring for it in Ohio or California or whatever.

If the BTN can make it onto a national stage, I think ESPN and the SEC will be able to swing it.

chuckddd said:
Until basketball season. Everyone wants to see that vaunted Auburn/Vandy tilt.

And then Slive announces that they've brought in Duke and UNC. Drops the mic.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's most likely going to be like the Big 10, premium in non home markets, basic in home markets.

Ah. I don't expect it to do anything in other markets to be honest. Most of the SEC football games are already locked up in about 10 tiers. Plus, Big Ten Network usually locks in a good amount of basketball games on the network. No one is going to give a flat fuck about Alabama and Auburn playing in basketball - anywhere.

Draxal

Ah. I don't expect it to do anything in other markets to be honest. Most of the SEC football games are already locked up in about 10 tiers. Plus, Big Ten Network usually locks in a good amount of basketball games on the network. No one is going to give a flat fuck about Alabama and Auburn playing in basketball - anywhere.

Ayup, preaching to the choir here in why I don't think it's going to be as successful as the BTN; ESPN does have alot of clout though and they definitely can bully its way here.

Draxal

How do regular season basketball game ratings compare with regular season football games?

They don't, but you're not going to see a live Florida/Bama/Georgia/LSU game on the SEC network.

Honest question here. Have you ever watched the Big 10 network at all?

TheNatural

My Member!
How do regular season basketball game ratings compare with regular season football games?

College football's regular season is 3 months with less than half as many games. Ratings don't matter as much as finding programming and giving everyone a reason to get the channel. There's a sizable amount of people in Indiana or Michigan who get the Big Ten Network to watch a chunk of games. There's a lot more reason to do that than to buy a network to watch maybe one decent football game all year.

andycapps

They don't, but you're not going to see a live Florida/Bama/Georgia/LSU game on the SEC network.

This will be better for the lower profile games, obviously. And for other sports, too.

TheNatural said:
College football's regular season is 3 months with less than half as many games. Ratings don't matter as much as finding programming and giving everyone a reason to get the channel. There's a sizable amount of people in Indiana or Michigan who get the Big Ten Network to watch a chunk of games. There's a lot more reason to do that than to buy a network to watch maybe one decent football game all year.

I think you're dismissing it a little early. SEC fans tend to care about sports. They'll pick this up in droves. Baseball is a pretty big sport in the conference, even though my own team sucks so bad right now (need to fire David Perno, two years ago).

TheNatural

My Member!
This will be better for the lower profile games, obviously. And for other sports, too.

I think you're dismissing it a little early. SEC fans tend to care about sports. They'll pick this up in droves. Baseball is a pretty big sport in the conference, even though my own team sucks so bad right now (need to fire David Perno, two years ago).

No, I just don't think it's a diverse sports wise as the Big Ten, who has a lot of devoted basketball fans and usually a good amount of meaningful matchups on the station. Football isn't as tiered as SEC either. They'll have an ABC game or two and whatever else on ESPN, but it's not like their entire lineup is slotted for those networks though.

A lot more than just ratings and power conference goes into making a network. UFC cleans up for FOX on Fuel and cleans up at PPV and gate, but never has much network TV ratings when it's on. If ratings was all that mattered, CBS would just make a premier CSI channel and show about 30 seasons of programming on loop.

Draxal

I'm just saying this is more complex then SEC > BIG football, Football drives ratings, thus SEC will be the best network. There's a number of variables that drives this that we can't quantify, but the guys and Espn and Fox can.

Distribution of alumni (lot of Big 10 alumni move out of the state footprint, and I'm inferring here and I might be wrong, that more SEC alumni stay within that footprint) Cable infrastructure of the states, Size of the athletic departmentss (big 10 ad's are in general contain alot more sports than the SEC). The BTN also had alot of issues when it first started, while the SEC won't face those same growing pains, they are going to face some.

jagowar

I'm just saying this is more complex then SEC > BIG football, Football drives ratings, thus SEC will be the best network. There's a number of variables that drives this that we can't quantify, but the guys and Espn and Fox can.

Distribution of alumni (lot of Big 10 alumni move out of the state footprint, and I'm inferring here and I might be wrong, that more SEC alumni stay within that footprint) Cable infrastructure of the states, Size of the athletic departmentss (big 10 ad's are in general contain alot more sports than the SEC). The BTN also had alot of issues when it first started, while the SEC won't face those same growing pains, they are going to face some.

I don't think its just the alumni who will watch a conference network. I think far more "regular" (those not directly tied to any fanbase) people will be interested in a SEC network because of the football prominence.

I also think baseball could be a big deal for the SEC network. Its growing very quickly in the south (just look at the college stadiums being built these days) and its one of those sports that has gotten almost no coverage on tv. I would expect that to significantly change with something like an SEC network.

I also think SEC fans are much more passionate than your average big10/pac12 fan and will go out of their way to get the network. I absolutely could see the SEC network being the primary sports channel, the one you have on when there is nothing else to watch, in SEC country (over sportscenter).

Draxal

I don't think its just the alumni who will watch a conference network. I think far more "regular" (those not directly tied to any fanbase) people will be interested in a SEC network because of the football prominence.

I also think baseball could be a big deal for the SEC network. Its growing very quickly in the south (just look at the college stadiums being built these days) and its one of those sports that has gotten almost no coverage on tv. I would expect that to significantly change with something like an SEC network.

I also think SEC fans are much more passionate than your average big10/pac12 fan and will go out of their way to get the network. I absolutely could see the SEC network being the primary sports channel, the one you have on when there is nothing else to watch, in SEC country (over sportscenter).

Sec network will be insanely strong in it's own footprint there is no denying that, especially amongst tshirt fans (nonalumni who root for the university) Have you ever watched the Big 10 network though? Some of it's shows are really good, but alot of it's ... just pure filler and the SEC is going to have more of that, since the Big 10 on average supports alot more sports than the SEC. I just don't see anybody but an SEC fan watching the SEC network, and a Big 10 fan watching the big 10 network.

cdyhybrid

Most of the interest in the SEC outside of the footprint is pretty much limited to the big-time games (Bama v. LSU etc.), none of which will be on PEENSsc, since they'll all be on CBS or ESPN or something.

andycapps

It'll undoubtedly be very strong in the Southeast. I'm not sure if there's any data on how the conference stacks up with alumni leaving the southeast, but honestly, why would someone move from the Southeast to the Midwest or Northeast unless they were crazy?
I did :/

I know that the Dallas area is the highest concentration for UGA alumni outside of Atlanta. But I have no clue where the other schools are at with that. I'd assume UGA has a high concentration of alumni in Florida as well.

I completely agree with all of this. I think there are a lot of people that aren't necessarily "SEC" fans that appreciate the level of football played that would be interested in such a channel. People that are sports nuts that aren't necessarily fans of a particular SEC team.

Baseball will definitely be a huge driver on the channel.

Most of the interest in the SEC outside of the footprint is pretty much limited to the big-time games (Bama v. LSU etc.), none of which will be on PEENSsc, since they'll all be on CBS or ESPN or something.

They'll show big games on re-runs I'm sure, but yeah. I'm assuming PEENSsc will be producing lots of original content such as practice updates, spring games, etc. SEC fans will eat that shit up. And the schools will support it because the more they're on TV, the more attractive they are to recruits.

I'd expect to see some good documentaries like the SEC Storied series on the channel as well.

jagowar

Sec network will be insanely strong in it's own footprint there is no denying that, especially amongst tshirt fans (nonalumni who root for the university) Have you ever watched the Big 10 network though? Some of it's shows are really good, but alot of it's ... just pure filler and the SEC is going to have more of that, since the Big 10 on average supports alot more sports than the SEC. I just don't see anybody but an SEC fan watching the SEC network, and a Big 10 fan watching the big 10 network.

I have not watched it recently but have watched it (used to be free for my package on dish but I dropped back to at120). Not sure why but it seems like the filler is btn's fault. For example I only see a few baseball/softball games this weekend. I know baseball is not as big of a sport up north but why is btn not airing 4 or 5 full series on their networks every weekend?

I know the big10 schools in general have more sports but I also think most of those are not big enough to warrant being put on tv. I would say there are only a few sports that are big enough to warrant being broadcast but if you cover them completely its more than enough content to fill a network.

I could see them beginning to broadcast all kind of sports on the SEC network. Football, Basketball, Baseball/Softball, Track & Field, Golf, Swimming/Diving, Volleyball would all be big enough to warrant being broadcast on tv. I even saw espn cover a sec gymnastics event a few weeks ago. I think that is the level of commitment espn has.

I'd expect to see some good documentaries like the SEC Storied series on the channel as well.

Agreed.... I could see those start to air only on the sec network. I don't know how many they produce each year but it would be the kind of content that would work especially well on something like the sec network.

Also a few more details here.... http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Special-Content/2013/04/SEC.aspx
Of note is the digital stuff being rolled into this as well. Sounds like espn will control everything about how this network runs and I like the idea of them running the digital app as well (although hopefully they will sell it stand alone online and not ruin it like they did espn3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom