• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
God help the producers stuck with having to come up with some kind of Nick Saban ESPN show.

If you thought Mack was ornery from having to do dozens of hours of televised content, what the hell will Lou Nicolas Saban do...

cdyhybrid

iID1kva.jpg

Pic of the stadium so far. It's actually a few days old, the goalposts are up now.

So BTN is airing the OSU spring game on delay tomorrow night. What could ever been more important than to air it live? Why the Illinois spring game of course!

What makes it even worse is the spring game isnt in Cbus this year but in Cincy and ticket prices are stupid expensive for the game as well.

andycapps

God help the producers stuck with having to come up with some kind of Nick Saban ESPN show.

If you thought Mack was ornery from having to do dozens of hours of televised content, what the hell will Lou Nicolas Saban do...

We know he won't have time for that shit. I can't see Muschamp being particularly welcoming towards ESPN. Richt won't mind too much.. They'll let them see a little bit of practice, but not show anything serious.

I'd pay for the channel to get a reality show following Les Miles. He is the most interesting man in college football.

Talon

They already did that Two A Days with Saban two seasons ago. Like five episodes?

He was ornery.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Please do this. And I hope the first question is about his Litttle Debbie oatmeal creme pies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So Michigan got Jerseys from OSU so they wouldnt be reminded of......... OSU?

One Michigan blogger is not amused:

For those of you who are frequent readers of my blog, you’ll recall last year I wrote one about the childish games played by both the Michigan football and basketball teams in relation to calling Ohio State “Ohio” and how they were disrespecting the Mid-American Conference school.

I also talked about how it was karma that the Bobcats bounced Michigan from the NCAAtournament, which in turn had many fans, Michigan included, agreeing that it made the University look bad, while others had a problem with it.

Well, lo and behold; just over a year later Michigan has embarrassed themselves yet again by openly admitting they’re doing something during their spring game because of Ohio State that is childish.
According to a team spokesman, Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner will wear an orange practice jersey that was given to the team via Oregon State because the Wolverines wanted a color other than red, because it’s worn by the Buckeyes.

The team spokesman actually said in an email; “As we’ve stated, we don’t wear red jerseys, so these were a temporary fix until we could get some custom jerseys made, which we hope will be in this week.”

So let me get this straight. You want to protect your quarterbacks in practice which is something every team does, but you don’t want to wear a red practice jersey as a reminder to your team to not to hit the quarterback, because Ohio State wears red? You have to be kidding.
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/04/12/michigan-acts-childish-again-blog/

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

AntoneM

Ok I love hating on U of Arizona, but, I typically make it a point not to do it too much here. However, in the interests of my fellow Pac 12 brethren I feel I need to share some information. It was recently brought to my attention that for the next 6 YEARS, Arizona does not have a single BCS team on their OOC schedule. Not one, zero, zilch, nada, not a single BCS team out of conference, seriously?

Karakand

Ok I love hating on U of Arizona, but, I typically make it a point not to do it too much here. However, in the interests of my fellow Pac 12 brethren I feel I need to share some information. It was recently brought to my attention that for the next 6 YEARS, Arizona does not have a single BCS team on their OOC schedule. Not one, zero, zilch, nada, not a single BCS team out of conference, seriously?

mildcats are GO

There are still a couple slots to fill on their OOC, but so far their OOC lineup is laughable outside of BYU

08/30 - Northern Arizona
09/07 - at UNLV
09/14 - UTSA

08/30 - UNLV
09/06 - at UTSA
09/13 - Nevada

09/05 - UTSA
09/12 - at Nevada
TBA- TBA

TBA - BYU (at Glendale, AZ)
TBA - Grambling State
TBA- TBA

TBA - UTEP (site TBA)
TBA- TBA
TBA- TBA

TBA - BYU
TBA - UTEP (site TBA)
TBA- TBA

08/31 - at Hawaii
TBA- TBA
TBA- TBA

09/05 - Hawaii
TBA - at BYU
TBA-TBA

edit: Also, the MWC finally released their 2013 conference schedules so all FBS teams have this year's schedules set

We stole another kid out of SEC country today (Louisiana). Alabama, Mississippi State, A&M, etc. offered this kid, but he chose Texas for some reason. I don't even care if we're bribing the recruits with money at this point as long as we're not covering up child molestation let's get some wins this season Hook Em!

These past 3 years of being abysmal -> mediocre has taken its toll on my ethics

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I ordered tickets for the Texas-Ole Miss game from the Ole Miss ticket office today, but the chances of getting them are low because there'd won't be enough from the visitor allotment to satisfy the fat cats. So I'll be buying via Stub Hub or scalpers at the stadium and rubbing elbows with Tim Riggins types in the upper deck I guess.

The B1G network is on my cable system, but I only watch it during the summer and fall. It has a good show where the host goes to each campus for a football weekend. I also like watching 80s OhioSt. Michigan replays.

We stole another kid out of SEC country today (Louisiana). Alabama, Mississippi State, A&M, etc. offered this kid, but he chose Texas for some reason. I don't even care if we're bribing the recruits with money at this point as long as we're not covering up child molestation let's get some wins this season Hook Em!

These past 3 years of being abysmal -> mediocre has taken its toll on my ethics

WHAT ABOUT IF YOUR COACH IS THROWING FOOTBALLS AT THE BACK OF YOUR PLAYERS' HEADS?

Edit: Even worse, what if your coach is a fan of MMT?

ag-my001

It's nice to see A&M is keeping all the traditions going during the spring game.

Good crowd in the stands.

Band playing all the songs.

Kicker missing another extra point.

ag-my001

No, it was the same kicker that missed all the XP's last year. It came after an excessive celebration penalty was called, but still, you have to make your <35 yard kicks in college.

No, it was the same kicker that missed all the XP's last year. It came after an excessive celebration penalty was called, but still, you have to make your <35 yard kicks in college.

That got called in a Spring game?? Dear lord just imagine if yall tried to do what Nebraska did in their spring game.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So...went out.

First WHOOOOOOO appeared around beer #2.

I'm confused as she's a cool roller derby chick.

Is this some sort of Aggie trap?

ChiTownBuffalo

She can't do math, so your parents will be disappointed,

She's a ginger. So, I think the math hurdle is a bit down the road.

Branduil

Nice, it sounds like UCLA will be going back to Clarendon font this year. Supposedly they are also fixing the pants color and the UCLA stripes, but we'll see about that.

bluemax

Banned
Sounds like Cody Kessler took the lead to be the next QB at USC. Wonder if Wittek is just broken now.

Also I was at a party today and started talking to this cute girl about football. She's writing a screen play that involves Thanksgiving football and apparently she knows nothing about the sport so I offered to help her out. I recommended she watch the 2007 Fiesta Bowl as a game that I felt would make her potentially like football.

cdyhybrid

Sounds like Cody Kessler took the lead to be the next QB at USC. Wonder if Wittek is just broken now.

Also I was at a party today and started talking to this cute girl about football. She's writing a screen play that involves Thanksgiving football and apparently she knows nothing about the sport so I offered to help her out. I recommended she watch the 2007 Fiesta Bowl as a game that I felt would make her potentially like football.

That's a classic game. Is Max Browne going to redshirt then?

cashman

Banned

Should have been the 2006 Rose Bowl, it even had USC in it!

Draxal

That is an equal game as far as on-the-field drama, but the Boise game had the proposal and the whole underdog thing going for it too.

That Boise/Okie game will never be topped, easily the best football game in the pros/college from this era (usc/texas was pretty close though).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That is an equal game as far as on-the-field drama, but the Boise game had the proposal and the whole underdog thing going for it too.

Imagine trying to do the whole proposal comparison thing with Ian Johnson.

"I took her out to the restaurant we went to on our first date"

versus

"after scoring the game winning overtime touchdown in one of the biggest bowl games of the season, in what was arguably both the greatest game AND greatest upset in college football history, I proposed on national television to my cheerleader girlfriend."

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
That Boise/Okie game will never be topped, easily the best football game in the pros/college from this era (usc/texas was pretty close though).

I've never rewatched that game. Does it stand up? I've got to think it was best watched live, because of the underdog thing.

Also, any of the previous seven Superbowls have been fantastic spectacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom