• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned
That's a classic game. Is Max Browne going to redshirt then?

Too early to say but I wouldn't be surprised. He cod red shirt and still start for 3 years.

Should have been the 2006 Rose Bowl, it even had USC in it!

That was honestly my second choice. I just felt like the trick plays and come back drama would be a bit more entertaining. Apparently her screen play uses the Dallas Cowboys Thanksgiving game as a backdrop.

Draxal

I've never rewatched that game. Does it stand up? I've got to think it was best watched live, because of the underdog thing.

Also, any of the previous seven Superbowls have been fantastic spectacles.

I think it does, there was so many trick plays + the huge underdog factor + the fact that it was almost a huge collapse + the marriage proposal at the end. It was also AP's final touchdown in his college career.

I mean it had the hook and lateral + statue of liberty, and they were at key points in the game that scored points (Harrison's interception came way too early; Helmet catch didn't score a touchdown)

"after scoring the game winning overtime touchdown in one of the biggest bowl games of the season, in what was arguably both the greatest game AND greatest upset in college football history, I proposed on national television to my cheerleader girlfriend."

Has there been a follow up on this couple? If they aren't still happily married I would be torn.

impirius

New UNC uniforms have an incredibly ugly font for the numbers.

pjts7pxh.jpg
pjgajrv3.jpg

The font isn't as bad as the navy color. UNC's previous uniforms were a classic style with some nice touches (helmet stripes on the sleeves and back of the collar). Too bad they got Pro Combatted.

Meier

Not a fan of Mike Bianchi but this article was interesting:

TALLAHASSEE — How utterly appropriate that Charlie Ward was at his first spring game since he left Florida State 20 years ago.

On the same weekend when last year's Masters champion will put the coveted Green Jacket on this year's Masters champion, it almost seemed as if the old Charlie was in Tallahassee Saturday to put his coveted red cape on FSU's new Charlie.

We are talking, of course, about redshirt freshman phenom Jameis Winston, who is in a so-called battle with three other candidates to replace EJ Manuel as the Seminoles' new quarterback. We say "so-called" because the only reason it's a battle is because Coach Jimbo Fisher has declared it one. Everybody knows Jameis, which rhymes with famous, is eventually going to be FSU's starting quarterback.

You knew it on the first play of the spring game when Famous Jameis dropped back and rifled a perfect 58-yard touchdown bomb to David Tyrrell. As the crowd roared, I received an immediate text message from my buddy Rick — the biggest Florida State fan I know.

"And there, sir, is the quarterback," Rick wrote. "End of controversy."

"Oh my God, Jameis just showed the world!" said senior cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, who was covering Tyrrell on the play.
"He's special, there's no question about it," Ward said while standing on the sideline and watching Winston complete 12-of-15 passes for 205 yards and two touchdowns Saturday.

When asked if making comparisons between Winston, a freshman, and Ward, a former Heisman Trophy winner, puts any unneeded pressure on Winston, Ward shook his head.

"I don't think it will bother him at all," Ward said. "He's a good player and he'll back it up."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mike-bianchi-fsu-spring-game-0414-20130413,0,5938375.column

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently walk-on QB Dustin Walton (redshirt soph, I think) is transferring from Tech to Colorado State-Pueblo and walk-on QB Brant Costilla quit the team at some point at the beginning of the Spring.

Normally wouldn't be particularly newsworthy but this means that our depth chart is made up of -

1. Michael Brewer (current #1, redshirt soph)
2. Davis Webb (current #2, true freshman)
3. Clayton Nicholas (distant #3, redshirt freshman)
4. Austin Barr (walk on redshirt freshman nobody had even heard about until today).

We'll be getting at least one more walk-on in the fall (Baker Mayfield, QB at Austin Lake Travis, former high school of Michael Brewer and Garrett Gilbert).

Not hard to see a situation where Nicholas transfers for playing time and leaves us with only two scholarship QBs on the roster. Numbers put us in a tough spot simply having enough QBs to properly run a practice (particularly since at least one will need to be a scout teamer) but the youth of the top two guys and the rave reviews about them both makes it a little tough to recruit anybody. #1 target (and only current scholarship offer) Patrick Mahomes, who as recently as a week ago was seen as a slam dunk commit at our Spring game this weekend, is apparently having some reservations about walking into that depth chart.

Will be tough to survive even one injury at QB in the fall and we currently only have about 3 or 4 OL the coaches trust and only about 8 healthy OL total on the roster.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
PEENSsc (ESPN/SEC) has been postponed because of today's events (was to unveil tomorrow).

Obama and the Alabama Football team/Tuscaloosa have this strange connection to each other.

2011, Obama visits Tuscaloosa to survey the damage from that massive Tornado (football players involved) on the same day he approves the strike on Bin Laden. Now, the Alabama Football team was in DC today for their yearly photo op with Obama, and within 15 minutes of finishing up, the Boston Marathon incident happened.

cdyhybrid

Dan Tilkin ‏@DanTilkinKATU 2h
We have obtained new documents about the NCAA investigation into Ducks Football. Initial read: NCAA appears pushing for Major Violations

Yes yes yes yes yes

Dan Tilkin ‏@DanTilkinKATU 2h
We have obtained new documents about the NCAA investigation into Ducks Football. Initial read: NCAA appears pushing for Major Violations

Yes yes yes yes yes

http://www.katu.com/sports/ducks/NC...bout-UO-football-investigation-203135931.html

The documents, which were provided on Monday to KATU after we filed a records request in September, are a draft of the “summary disposition” report. In the documents, the school and NCAA enforcement staff agree that the UO committed several "major" violations.

We received five drafts of the report and the reporting below is based on the most recent draft provided to us.

The report says the school could face penalties under the “repeat violator” clause of the NCAA rules. The UO last had a major infraction in 2004; since some of the alleged violations happened within five years of that date, the NCAA could impose stiffer penalties.

The report also shows the NCAA and Oregon agree this is a “major infractions case.”

“Due to the nature, scope and duration of the time over which the violations occurred, the violations were not isolated in nature,” the report says. “Further, while the violations were not intentional in nature, many are significant and should not be considered inadvertent.”

andycapps

Verne may be senile and occasionally say fuck on national TV, but he was a baller:

You met your wife Nancy in 1980 and you were married in 1982. How did you two meet?

We met in a bar -- and I hasten to add it was an upscale bar in Dallas. It was a place called Arthur's. I walked in after I did the 10 o'clock news (at WFAA-TV in Dallas) and I just didn't want to go home. Nancy and her date were at the bar and her date recognized me from local television and invited me over to have a drink. He introduced me to his date and her name was Nancy Miller. It was their first date, a blind date. So we sat and chatted and her date, Raymond Willie, said to me, "Listen, I know you are single. I'm going to fix you up with a friend of mind and we can all go to dinner." He looked at Nancy and asked her, "What are you doing Thursday night?" She said, "Nothing." He said, "Good, you'll be my date and we'll fix Verne up with this schoolteacher friend of mine and we'll go to dinner." Meanwhile, I'm looking at Nancy thinking she is the prettiest thing I have ever seen in my life. So, Raymond finally left to take care of his business and I asked Nancy, "So, how involved are you with Raymond? She said, "Oh, this is our first date and it's a blind date." So I said, "Well forget what he is talking about on Thursday night. What are you doing on Saturday night?" She said, "I think I am doing whatever you are doing.

Lonestar

Might not be the official factsheet for the PEENSsc, but a preview of what it's going to be:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22083904/secs-network-with-espn-a-fans-primer

The Southeastern Conference and ESPN postponed a joint unveiling of their 24-hour network scheduled for Tuesday in Atlanta because of the Boston tragedy.

When the time is right, the SEC will showcase a network that has gobs of potential, a cornered market in the South and a chance to strengthen the national brand from New York to California.

That's if it sells like the SEC and ESPN expect it to.

The league has a good product, a plan to put some of its better games on the network, the backing of ESPN and incentive to restructure a traditional media rights deal that looked impressive in 2008 ($2.25 billion over 15 years) but ranks the league fourth among power conferences in 2012-13 projected television revenue, according to Forbes.

“It's a no-brainer for the SEC,” said Joel Lulla, a television strategist who has worked with the Big 12, Boise State and others. “I'd be very surprised if the SEC Network doesn't get full distribution very quickly.”

The SEC is keeping many details under wraps, but after asking around to television and league sources, here's a quick-hit fan's primer for the network.

What you get: Around-the-clock SEC programming – live games, studio shows, analysis, replays, features, just about anything you can think of to fill 8,736 hours in a calendar year.

Where you get it: In your home, as long as your carrier strikes a deal with ESPN to show it. ESPN and the SEC will get to work on this soon, if not already.

For how long will you get it: The SECls deal with ESPN is expected to go for 15 to 20 years.

When you will get it: The tentative launch date is August 2014.

Headquarters: All signs point to Charlotte, home of ESPNU headquarters. Logistically, this makes sense.

Name: TBA

Sports involved: Likely all of them, from calling cards such as football and men's basketball to swimming and track and field.

CBS' role: CBS doesn't have one. It's strictly ESPN and the SEC in a partnership. CBS will maintain its football game of the week status.

Distribution: Broad distribution in the footprint (including 11 SEC states), and “sports-tier carriage” in the rest of the country, according to Sports Business Journal, which broke the news about the scheduled Tuesday announcement. That means the Southern states will likely get the channel as part of their expanded package – which most fans get nowadays – once the carrier strikes a deal with ESPN. In a sports-tier carriage scenario, a fan must pay extra to get the channel at a price to be determined.

Broad distribution reach in the South: Around 30 million homes, according to Florida president Bernie Machen

What's in it for SEC/ESPN: Exposure and revenue.

How to get it: Leveraging cable and satellite (DISH, DirecTV) against each other for subscriptions.

What is ESPN's role?: ESPN must help sell it. And the SEC trusts that ESPN's brand name, coupled with the SEC's track record, will deliver in negotiations. ESPN has experience with bundling channels, and let's be honest –many fans will probably pay a little extra for ESPN programming without thinking twice. There's built-in marketplace leverage.

Will the network change how you watch SEC football?: It very well could.

This isn't another Jefferson Pilot. The SEC plans to host not just Tier 3 games on the network, but marquee matchups, too, according to sources familiar with the network developments.

There will be some top-shelf programming, especially in the first few years. On some weeks in the fall, for example, CBS would get the game of the week and the No. 2 game could go to the SEC Network if SEC/ESPN so choose.

Basically, these partners can do whatever they want with the content outside of CBS games, and it's in the best interest of both parties to bolster the 24-hour channel with programming that can cater to all fanbases in the South.

The league bought back all its regional rights (mostly Tier 3 programming) from Learfield Sports, IMG and CBS Sports. That will be on the network.

Of course, ESPN still needs marquee games for its flagship, and doesn't want Kentucky-Mississippi State as its headliner, so there must be some compromise here.

Which brings us to…

The key for getting good games on the network: Balanced scheduling. One source said the league plans to avoid stacking games – in other words, four marquee football games one week, only one or two the next. Spreading the wealth over a 14-week will be imperative.

Naturally, a nine-game league football schedule could help with this. And maybe the SEC will go that route eventually.

Inherent challenges: The cable-reach business is a little more complicated than trading a $1 for a channel subscription. The SEC might not be immune to lengthy negotiations that the Big Ten and Pac-12 have experienced.

The more money a league or network demands, the harder the sell can be. A conference channel must navigate pricing, network fees, tiers of service the network will carry, negotiating with markets outside of the footprint, advertising sales and keeping everyone relatively happy.

The Pac-12 Network, which launched in August, has found distribution everywhere but one very big place -- DirecTV. Those negotiations are ongoing. That some fans in the Pac-12's own backyard of California can't watch the programming is a concern.

The Pac-12's deal with DISH Network included sponsorship rights for Pac-12 campuses, and some believe this setup has affected DirecTV talks.

The Big Ten Network, which launched in August 2007, fenced with Comcast and Time Warner before eventually striking a deal.

But the SEC seems to have three things in its favor: the country's best football, a dedication to broadcasting meaningful games on the channel and television carriers that are used to negotiations with conference channels.

Perhaps both parties can work out any kinks that might have stalled progress with the Big Ten and Pac-12.

How much is this bad boy worth?: Hard to tell just yet. Machen says the league might not truly know the value until around 2016, when everything is sold and the network gets comfortable.

One sports television source not directly affiliated with the SEC or the deal estimates an eventual worth of around $400 million per year in SEC television revenue from ESPN and CBS (which pays $55 million per year). That'd be $28.5 million per team before factoring in bowl game earnings or NCAA credits.

The Big Ten and Pac-12 project $250 million in 2012-13 television revenue, or $20.8 million per school, according to Forbes.

Those numbers will likely increase.

Estimates for the Big Ten have reached more than $40 million in overall revenue once it renegotiates its primary media rights deal in 2016.

The SEC is re-negotiating with CBS because of the additions of Texas A&M and Missouri.

What does it mean for expansion?: There's no doubt the network positions the SEC nicely should it one day decide on a 16-team model. More inventory equals more programming.

But as one league source pointed out, the SEC feels programming won't be an issue with 14 teams, that there is plenty of good product to distribute.

The league wouldn't exactly make a public proclamation even if it wanted to add. Machen said the only potential catalyst for expansion has nothing to do with television -- if “some ace jewel called us and said, ‘Can you help us?'” he said.

Conference realignment appears to be in a holding pattern as the ACC navigates a lawsuit with Maryland over a $52 million exit fee.

Who's next to jump on the 24-hour-channel train?: The ACC is evaluating the prospects of a channel and is waiting to hear back from ESPN on the matter. The ACC has several attractive television markets– Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Charlotte, Chicago if you could part-time lover Notre Dame. The basketball will be outrageously good. Football has seen better days but still has brand recognition between FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami and others.

But it's uncertain ESPN wants to invest in another channel after undergoing this huge project with the SEC.

My sense is the Big 12 will forgo the 24-hour model because its members are tied up in secondary rights deals.

Basically, the main points are: changing the schedule (perhaps adding another SEC game to the seasons), to have marquee type games every week, avoiding the haggles of distribution (like DirectTV & PAC, and the LongHorn "Network"), and make bookuu's amount of money. $28.5 million per team!!!!!

bjb

Banned
Chip "pay me" Kelly really jumped ship at the right time.

Oregon, NCAA agreed Ducks committed 'major violations,' documents show

The University of Oregon has agreed that its football coaches committed at least one major violation related to the NCAA's ongoing investigation into the Ducks' recruiting practices from 2008 to 2011. As a result, the university has proposed to self-impose a two-year probation for the football program and a reduction of one scholarship for each of the next three seasons.

Oregon and the NCAA, however, reached an impasse late in 2012 while attempting to agree on the severity of one violation concerning the Ducks' $25,000 payment to Texas-based talent scout Willie Lyles. The Ducks believe the impermissible "oral reports" delivered from Lyles constitute a secondary violation; NCAA enforcement officials believe them to be another "major violation."

Source

Lonestar

No "Trent 2.0" Derrick Henry this weekend at the A Day game. Broken Tibia, but should be 100% by the time real football comes around.

TheNatural

My Member!
Mother fucker.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Johnny Football versus Teddy Ballgame to open the 2013 season? It nearly happened.

Texas A&M and Louisville were in discussions to square off in the season opener at Houston's Reliant Stadium, a showdown that would have featured reigning Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel and Cardinals star quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

Louisville coach Charlie Strong and Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin were in favor of playing the game, Strong told ESPN. Ultimately, however, the game could not be worked out.

Because of a soft non-conference schedule that includes Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, FIU and Kentucky, Louisville has tried to bolster its schedule in the offseason.

The Cardinals were in discussions about playing neutral-site games with Texas A&M and Alabama and also a home-and-home series with Wisconsin, but nothing could get finalized.

Bridgewater said he would have loved an opportunity to play against Manziel.

"It would have been a great experience to play against last year's Heisman Trophy winner and arguably the best player in college football," Bridgewater said. "He lays it on the line like I do. It would have been a great matchup."

The Cardinals also had an outside shot to open the season against reigning champion Alabama in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta.

Alabama will play Virginia Tech, but the Hokies considered withdrawing from the game if quarterback Logan Thomas left early for the NFL draft. Louisville would have replaced Virginia Tech, but Thomas returned for his senior season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...schedule-game-texas-aggies-2013-season-opener

So much for fun games and getting a shot at a marquee game to have a shot at the big game.

jagowar

Basically, the main points are: changing the schedule (perhaps adding another SEC game to the seasons), to have marquee type games every week, avoiding the haggles of distribution (like DirectTV & PAC, and the LongHorn "Network"), and make bookuu's amount of money. $28.5 million per team!!!!!

I am a bit surprised its only one channel.... Although maybe they will have some alternate channels when there are multiple events on at the same time that they want to show on the network or even coaches shows that are on at the same time.

Putting the marquee games on there will be a big deal in making sure everybody has to get the network (and avoid the issues the other networks have had getting carriage deals) and with espn controlling the whole thing it allows them to do just that.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
If it's ever short on programming, the SEC Network could always pad it with episodes of Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas.

If it's ever short on programming, the SEC Network could always pad it with episodes of Dukes of Hazzard and Matlock.
FTFY
If it's ever short on programming, the SEC Network could always pad it with episodes of Dukes of Hazzard, Matlock, the Andy Griffith Show, In the Heat of the Night, and, for the SEC ladies, Designing Women.
FYFFY.

andycapps

BertramCooper said:
If it's ever short on programming, the SEC Network could always pad it with episodes of Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas.
andycapps said:
BertramCooper said:
If it's ever short on programming, the SEC Network could always pad it with episodes of Dukes of Hazzard and Matlock.
FTFY
andycapps said:
If it's ever short on programming, the SEC Network could always pad it with episodes of Dukes of Hazzard, Matlock, the Andy Griffith Show, In the Heat of the Night, and, for the SEC ladies, Designing Women.

FYFFY.
mre said:
If it's ever short on programming, the SEC Network could always pad it with episodes of Dukes of Hazzard, Matlock, the Andy Griffith Show, In the Heat of the Night, Duck Dynasty and, for the SEC ladies, Designing Women.

FYFFFY.

Oregon thinks its punishment should be, practically, 1 less scholarship per season for 3 years?

That's it?

No bowl ban, losing titles, anything like that? :jnc
Literally the weakest punishment they could think of.

Oregon thinks its punishment should be, practically, 1 less scholarship per season for 3 years?

That's it?

I hear they also considered writing, "I'm very sorry" on the blackboard 50 times.

TheNatural

My Member!

That's it?

Throw in they have to wear the actual two solid colors of their University for a decade and I'll take it.

andycapps

That's it?

I thought that was a typo. So that was their proposal for self punishment for major violations? lol Oregon plz

Keep that Duck Dynasty filth away from those other classics.

Gotta do some new shows to encourage the younger generation to tune in for non-sports tv.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Kevtones

The NCAA not finding a 'lack of IC' or any 'unethical behavior' is absolutely huge.

Would've preferred a one-scholarship reduction for the last two years so we could've cut reigning two-time MNC dream-killer, Maldanado in 2011.

cdyhybrid

The NCAA not finding a 'lack of IC' or any 'unethical behavior' is absolutely huge.

Would've preferred a one-scholarship reduction for the last two years so we could've cut reigning two-time MNC dream-killer, Maldanado in 2011.
I'm glad Uncle Phil's money was too tempting for him to stay committed to UW! At least you guys won't be losing in bowl games for a few years.

Kevtones

I'm glad Uncle Phil's money was too tempting for him to stay committed to UW! At least you guys won't be losing in bowl games for a few years.

That's really my hope, the non-bowl ban. I think they may up the scholarship losses but what's funny is that this relative slap on the wrist is Oregon's 2nd offer I believe. Their first was even less harsh.

Really though, if accepted, this seems like best-case for Oregon.

Lonestar

Geez, you west coast academic types have a hard time reading statements properly. There's nothing in that Oregon statement that says "this is the NCAA's final statement."

This is Oregon saying "OK, something went on. We know it and you know it. How about we offer up these forms of self-flagellation and call it a day? Please?"

Though, having the NCAA be in dire straights (of it's own doing) at the same time, helps Oregon out. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom